2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Asian domination on PGA tour coming? (Spoiler)

bscinstnct

Ok, maybe clickbait. And I hope this has no resemblance to jimmy the greek ; )

But

With 2 young Asians leading the WM, I was thinking that with these guys at 6' and 200 lbs, its been the physical size difference that has been the reason we havent seen Asian dominance on the PGA the way it is seen on the lpga.

If the work ethic and golf culture from youth is there, and they are becoming just a big and physical as the rest of the tour, could be looking at very strong showings in the future.

Im all for it, btw. Let the best be the best.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"domination" in sports is just about having a large population and a dedication to being good at it. The US would beat Canada in Hockey if you cared about Hockey as much as we do, simply because you have more people and money to sink into youth programs. There's no secret genetic sauce, all people in the world are something like 99.9% similar or whatever that stat is.

Asia has some large countries in terms of population, and are economic hubs in their own right. If they care about sports as much as Americans do and develop them at youth levels, they will do just as well or better. Again it comes down to population levels and access. If you have more people with access, you'll do better, simple as that

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For those who say it'll never happen, just remember that more people live in that region then anywhere else in the world combined. Couple that with an evolving middle class and golf is becoming more & more popular. I don't think "domination" is the correct term but they will be a driving market and force on the tour in the future.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

For those who say it'll never happen, just remember that more people live in that region then anywhere else in the world combined. Couple that with an evolving middle class and golf is becoming more & more popular. I don't think "domination" is the correct term but they will be a driving market and force on the tour in the future.

Didn't China just begin enforcing the law that makes golf a crime? That's A LOT of people removed from the equation.

Didn't China just begin enforcing the law that makes golf a crime? That's A LOT of people removed from the equation.

They began enforcing illegal golf courses that are built on land that is either protected or not zoned.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

They just shut down 111 courses.

At the risk of sounding overly political, I think the golf community is going to have to be a little more mindful of its speech and "trigger warnings" as Asians begin to dominate.

I was watching the Sony Open a couple weeks ago and the announcer made a statement about one of the Asian players "sneaking up the leaderboard" as the camera panned out to Pearl Harbor. That's just mindless and obviously triggers notions of the surprise attack in 1941. Even in this thread, we have McIlroy and Day needing to "look over their shoulders" for Matsuyama, as if to ward off a surprise attack. Can Asians not face their competitors head on? Why can't Matsuyama just show up and dominate the field from the top down? Again, I think it plays to those classic, damaging stereotypes of the Asian male as "small," "quiet" and "sneaky." Not saying the poster meant anything by it, but just pointing out how ingrained its become in our language.

Same thing with references to their "work ethic" - calling to mind classic stereotypes of the Asian huddled over a math book, laboring through the problems, etc. Can't they be naturally gifted as anyone else? Maybe they don't need to practice much at all and like to spend more time partying? Is that why it was so difficult for the golf community to accept Anthony Kim? He didn't fit that stereotype of the "naturally subordinate, technologically gifted Asian who counts well, stays in line, etc.," as Eddie Huang wrote. Why aren't the Asian players allowed to hit a few balls and then go get wasted if they want to?

There have been several studies demonstrating that Asian males are basically the final frontier in terms of racial punching bags. I think back to Na being mercilessly heckled at Sawgrass that one year - would Harold Varner III have been heckled in that manner? And I've often cringed thinking about our first Asian winner of the Master's having to fend off references to General Tso's being served at the Champions Dinner, and what not. Especially if it happens during this current administration, which has seemed to embolden a lot of that behavior. I think that's what Elizabeth Warren was warning us about when she discussed how important it is not to normalize that behavior.

Given the golf community's dark past with some of these issues, I think it's something that enlightened observers will need to monitor and help keep in check as we move forward with more of an Asian presence.

You won't see domination like the LPGA tour. Golf is still a fringe game, for the elite, in Japan. And in Korea, it's pretty big (with Golfzons all over the place), but most kids go into baseball if they are good at sports - And, most of your alpha male types go into more professional jobs. It's the culture.

The young ladies In Korea and to a lesser extent in Japan and other countries have a tremendous amount of motivation. Being a woman in Korea, you don't have so many options - the corporate world has massive glass ceiling (Unless your are elite you serve tea a euphemism for sate the ego of your superior), you might go into a family business, but more and more those businesses are being eaten up. So, that leaves marriage to a husband that works at least 70-80 hours a week and comes home drunk most nights (stupid soju drunk).

Men by comparison are complacent with the secure job, despite the long hours. Most just seek security and convenience and baseball.

Asia is pretty broad, I mean it covers Kazakhstan to India to Korea to Indonesia. It's only really Japan, Thailand and South Korea that are producing the really top golfers, and even within that there's no real star from Thailand yet. There's obviously so much potential in India and China but their best players are 86 and 150 in the world currently. But within Japan and South Korea, yeah there's a lot of really talented young players emerging.

They said that Si Ri Pak inspired a generation on the LPGA Tour, while YE Yang was the first to win a major from Asia, Matsuyama is good enough to be a real inspiration there for a generation, and if he won a few majors and the Olympic Golf there in 2020, you may see even more Japanese and South Koreans on tour.

At the risk of sounding overly political, I think the golf community is going to have to be a little more mindful of its speech and "trigger warnings" as Asians begin to dominate.

I was watching the Sony Open a couple weeks ago and the announcer made a statement about one of the Asian players "sneaking up the leaderboard" as the camera panned out to Pearl Harbor. That's just mindless and obviously triggers notions of the surprise attack in 1941. Even in this thread, we have McIlroy and Day needing to "look over their shoulders" for Matsuyama, as if to ward off a surprise attack. Can Asians not face their competitors head on? Why can't Matsuyama just show up and dominate the field from the top down? Again, I think it plays to those classic, damaging stereotypes of the Asian male as "small," "quiet" and "sneaky." Not saying the poster meant anything by it, but just pointing out how ingrained its become in our language.

Same thing with references to their "work ethic" - calling to mind classic stereotypes of the Asian huddled over a math book, laboring through the problems, etc. Can't they be naturally gifted as anyone else? Maybe they don't need to practice much at all and like to spend more time partying? Is that why it was so difficult for the golf community to accept Anthony Kim? He didn't fit that stereotype of the "naturally subordinate, technologically gifted Asian who counts well, stays in line, etc.," as Eddie Huang wrote. Why aren't the Asian players allowed to hit a few balls and then go get wasted if they want to?

There have been several studies demonstrating that Asian males are basically the final frontier in terms of racial punching bags. I think back to Na being mercilessly heckled at Sawgrass that one year - would Harold Varner III have been heckled in that manner? And I've often cringed thinking about our first Asian winner of the Master's having to fend off references to General Tso's being served at the Champions Dinner, and what not. Especially if it happens during this current administration, which has seemed to embolden a lot of that behavior. I think that's what Elizabeth Warren was warning us about when she discussed how important it is not to normalize that behavior.

Given the golf community's dark past with some of these issues, I think it's something that enlightened observers will need to monitor and help keep in check as we move forward with more of an Asian presence.

Maybe the PGA can have safe spaces at all tournaments...just in case...wouldn't want the snowflakes to melt.

As to the original topic...I think what we are seeing is natural. Golf is becoming very popular in Asia, and as such there will be players who are simply outstanding. No big surprise really. We are also seeing some great young American players. At some point no one geographical area will dominate the sport...players will win who come from all parts of the world.

Way over the top in my humble. Frankly I don't believe that the Asians are as aware of the things you cited as you are.

They are a talented lot. They have an amazing work ethic in all aspects of their lives. They are some of the most respectful people you could ever hope to encounter. And they have incredible focus. From the Koreans, Japanese, and even Chinese visitors to Florida I have encountered the one thing that I did not ever notice was any abnormal sensitivities. Quite the opposite I have always been left with the impression that they see the world in a different light; if someone looks down on them for any reason it strikes me that they would pity them for their intolerance but they would not allow it to leave any scar tissue.

While I agree that we need to be sensitive to the feelings of others I honestly believe that innocent comments are just that and should not become the focal point of conversations about the enormous talent coming out of the Asian Tour.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I hope the PGA tour doesn't end up like the LPGA tour. TV viewership will go in the toilet if it does.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I mean, if Matsuyama was white, the conversations surrounding his run right now would be a whole lot different. If you don't believe that, then why is he not getting Spieth level of recognition or respect? Most will disregard the Asian wins, but the more this young man gets comfortable with winning, the scarier it's going to get for the field. I think he's an awesome player and has to be the favourite for Augusta.

WIN

T33

T27

2nd (to JT)

WIN

Asian WIN

WIN

2nd (to JT)

Asian WIN

I mean, ffs, he went through a stretch of six tournaments there where he only lost to one player.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

When Hideki gets that pause at the top of his swing to last a full 10 seconds, then he'll truly be dominant. I think he should swing to the top, do the creepy Jason Day eyes closed thing, open them back up, then proceed with the downswing.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

As an Asian male raised mostly in the USA I can comment on the above replies.

It is true, there are many cultural differences. Stereotypes in the US for Asian males can be harsh. BUT, this is golf we are talking about and really if you look at it, there are still not many high ranking Asian male golfers. One of the reasons why I think Anthony Kim was so popular was because he was a very Westernized person who didn't fit the typical mold of an Asian male, nonetheless golfer. He was fireball.

Hideki is more Tiger like in his work ethic and less AK-like in his party ethic heh.

Right now he is hot and clearly a top player in the world - but he won't get the recognition of the top guys like Speith, Day, McIlroy until he wins a major - just like Fowler and Sergio won't until they do. Justifiably so.

All in all I think different cultures playing well is good for golf. In the meantime, I'm going to go work on my back swing to down swing pause...

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

Even in this thread, we have McIlroy and Day needing to "look over their shoulders" for Matsuyama, as if to ward off a surprise attack. Can Asians not face their competitors head on? Why can't Matsuyama just show up and dominate the field from the top down? Again, I think it plays to those classic, damaging stereotypes of the Asian male as "small," "quiet" and "sneaky." Not saying the poster meant anything by it, but just pointing out how ingrained its become in our language.

With all due respect, if a talented young white kid began racking up the victories, and threatened two white guys at the top of the rankings, and a commentator used that phrase, you would have absolutely zero misgivings about it.

At the risk of sounding too political, if we are ever going to get over the hurdles which stand in the way of true racial equality, we must be free to treat everyone the same, with love and respect.

Tiger is half Asian. Rickie Fowler is part Asian. Who cares, we're all human beings.

The problem for Hideki and others, he doesn't speak English well and will have trouble winning over American fans when he talks through interpreters.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Tiger is half Asian. Rickie Fowler is part Asian. Who cares, we're all human beings.

The problem for Hideki and others, he doesn't speak English well and will have trouble winning over American fans when he talks through interpreters.

On the CBS broadcast today they mentioned that Hideki is just about ready to give interviews in English, and he plans on debuting those new skills around May.

On the CBS broadcast today they mentioned that Hideki is just about ready to give interviews in English, and he plans on debuting those new skills around May.

I hope he learns Dbag English instead of proper English. Just because it would be awesome.

First interview in English :

"I played good today Brah"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

They recently decriminalized it however one's clubmembership must be paid for out of their own pocket.

Have a great week Bro??

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Will be awesome to hear that first interview post another victory.

Anyone else notice how focused he is while on the grass? I think he has a real shot at The Masters. Now THAT would be an awesome victory! Like I have said before this year's Masters is shaping up to be one for the ages.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Aha! He said May so he has jinxed his chances at The Masters!