Jordan lashes out at "Scum".......

While signing post round autographs for the fans, Jordan saw some professional autograph brokers in the mix, said no, they took the heat and a little orl scrum took place, where Jordan called em "scum."

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-confronts-autograph-seeking-scums-pebble/?cid=Email_ThursdayNL_20170209

I'm just curious what your thoughts are about a guy trying to make a living, lol

I agree with Jordan however what's the difference between these guys and all the fans, collectors and even caddies who get stuff from Players under the pretense of it being for them and then it ends up on the Bay?

At least most of these chuckleheads are known and make no effort to hide their motives or intent-

I'm not counting the ones that give a lil kid a five to get get something signed.

THEY are scum ;)

When I first saw the headline of story I thought "damn, I know the investment market is tight right now but now these brokers are resorting to selling autographs???" ?

It's that time of morning ?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scum indeed, professional autograph seekers that take the signed merch and sell it on the bay. We know it happens, what are you going to do? Good for Jordan.

Also, i think he took a greater objection to the scum dropping F bombs in front of the kids that were present.

Yeah, he's not Tiger, but why are the scum so intent on getting his autograph?

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

People are willing to pay for autographs, so I can't blame anyone for trying to make a living, although I think there are probably better/easier avenues. That being said, I have no problem with what Spieth did/said either. He has a right to not let someone make a buck off of his name if he chooses, especially when he's taking his time to sign for kids, etc.

As far as actual autographs go (and I have multiple pieces of autographed memorabilia in my house), I've always found it strange that something with someone else's name on it is worth something extra. Just seems odd to me.

I can see where Jordan is coming from.

It's something that I have seen happen regularly at events. I like to go to The Open on the practice days. Every year that I have been I always see throughout the day, adults hanging around looking to get certain types of memorabilia signed. Often it is large sized print pictures and you can almost guarantee that the thing will end up on eBay or the like. The worst though is when you see guys who have gone along with their kids and use the fact that they are there with kids to get things signed. It must be frustrating for the Pro's especially those of them that want to be good guys and sign for people.

The likes of Mickelson and Spieth from what I have seen at events spend large amounts of time signing at the end of their rounds. That day, after day must significantly eat into their time practicing or relaxing or even time spent with their family. Good for Jordan taking a stand.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

We call them scum, yet we have autographed photos, flags, jerseys, etc. hanging on our walls. Seems we live in glass houses!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

It makes me like Spieth more, and I've probably gone on record 100 times around here complaining about how little I like watching Spieth (excuse me, I mean "we" not "Spieth") play.

IMO it'd be a more honorable way to make a living if those dudes were out there on some street corner with a cardboard sign and a coffee cup.

I don't know exactly why autograph hounds who are only in it for the ebay profits bother me so much. Maybe because they're taking something that should be personal and turning it into something that's soulless and commodified?

Good on Jordan. Autographs are for kids.

Couple of posts in this thread are treading close to justifying it with the phrase "trying to earn living".

F that. Earn a living doing something decent.

Exactly. Next thing you know we'll have posters sticking up for sawdust-in-the-transmission used car salesmen, because, you know, capitalism, or something.

I've always found it strange that something with someone else's name on it is worth something extra. Just seems odd to me.

Couldn't agree more!!

Ya know what's even stranger to me???

A grown ..... man wearing another man's jersey with that man's name and number on it, lmao

WTF????

Thanks for responding Bro!

Nice post?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Definitely new found respect for JS. Anyone yelling profanities in front of children is poor behavior.

As for the "scum". They only exist since there is a market for their items. How many of us have purchased autographed sports memorabilia at charity events, etc. etc. How do we know that the scum didn't push 3 kids to the ground in order to get your signed memorabilia?

I don't like them either, but I'm guilty since I have plenty of sports memorabilia that I didn't personally get signed.

This problem with the professional autograph seekers has really grown over the last few years. There are 10-15 guys that work the Florida swing. I see them every year. Now there's a group that works NJ, NY & the NE. There's a group that does Vegas and Cali. They are rude, push kids out of the way and harass the players if they won't sign

I think the tour will soon put a stop to these guys bringing in bags & bags of stuff to be signed. The players hate it. Some players will only sign if it's autographed to someone specifically

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Someone on the board offered me $450 for my 8802/Arnold Palmer putter-

I said no friggin way!!!

$500 and it's his?

Nah, I'm kiddin....

It ain't for sale

Regards,

RP

Personally, I've never really understood the attraction to autographs. A signature on a piece of whatever just never appealed to me.

That being said, I have had a photograph taken with Jack, Arnold, Lee, Chi Chi and a few others.

Now, this is just me again, but I do enjoy occasionally looking back on those photos and remembering the times, places and events where they were taken. And, as all of them are 20 or more years old the obvious changes in their appearance and, regretfully, my own are also somewhat thought provoking.

My all-time favorite is of Jack Nicklaus and I on the 18th tee box at Cherry Hills. It was the final practice round during the PGA Championship in 1985 - obviously the year before his 86' Masters win. He was thought to be washed up at the time but that was a thrill I'll never forget.

I just don't see how looking back on a signed piece of paper from that day could ever possibly compare.

Oh well, everybody's different which is a good thing I guess.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Someone on the board offered me $450 for my 8802/Arnold Palmer putter-

I said no friggin way!!!

$500 and it's his

Nah, I'm kiddin....

It ain't for sale

Regards,

RP

Now THAT'S a different deal! Very nice.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Used to work for an NHL team, these same type of guys would line up every single day outside the practice rink and wait for players to leave. When you see the same guys day in and day out doing the same thing you start to learn who they are. Many of them would have no problem blocking out a kid from getting something signed so they can get another piece to sell online for themselves. Most of them were rude pushy a holes to be honest. The players knew who they were and would often avoid them or ignore them, sometimes leading to confrontations like Jordan had. In some cases guys stopped signing all together.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

We call them scum, yet we have autographed photos, flags, jerseys, etc. hanging on our walls. Seems we live in glass houses!

I don't. I've always thought autographs that weren't personally given to someone from that famous person were as good as fakes. If it didn't mean something to me from a sentimental value standpoint then it isn't worth a dime to me. Autographs that are just bought in my opinion are as worthless as can be to me.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Personally, I've never really understood the attraction to autographs. A signature on a piece of whatever just never appealed to me.

That being said, I have had a photograph taken with Jack, Arnold, Lee, Chi Chi and a few others.

Now, this is just me again, but I do enjoy occasionally looking back on those photos and remembering the times, places and events where they were taken. And, as all of them are 20 or more years old the obvious changes in their appearance and, regretfully, my own are also somewhat thought provoking.

My all-time favorite is of Jack Nicklaus and I on the 18th tee box at Cherry Hills. It was the final practice round during the PGA Championship in 1985 - obviously the year before his 86' Masters win. He was thought to be washed up at the time but that was a thrill I'll never forget.

I just don't see how looking back on a signed piece of paper from that day could ever possibly compare.

Oh well, everybody's different which is a good thing I guess.

I agree. Btw: that's Nancy Lopez. Not my mother. :)

Simple solution: only sign for kids and the autograph must be personalized. Nobody wants to buy something with "To Clarence, Jorden Spieth"

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I was at the Crosby (90's) at Bermuda Run in N.C and it was just basically a celebrity event. These guys had file of photo of all these people like Rick Berry, Gayle Sayers, Kathy Ireland, Roy Clark, George Brett etc... you get the drift. They had kids, they would hand off these pictures and some would do it themselves. One was obvious, he had a folder and most of these celebrities would just move down the line. Gayle Sayers is coming down the line and this guy whips out a couple of cards and photos. When Sayers gets to him Sayers asks him, "are you going to sell them ?" the guy says no he's just a collector. Sayers signs a couple of things. When the guy leave he walks over to a guy with a duffel bag full of folders. I understand they are trying to make a living. That would not be for me.

The one thing is that I look at asking for an autograph, is more of a kid thing, but I get it if your an adult and this is your role model or hero I do get it. I only have a couple of people that I would like to have had their signature and it would have to be on an item that they had played with during their career. My list is short. Palmer, Nicklaus,Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson,Hogan. I not that old but I like those old guys.

For a poor kid from S.C/N.C that has no pedigree just a working Joe. I've played with NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL,Nascar Champions ll of fame. Golf has provided me these opportunity. I never ask for anything out of respect for them just being able to play that day.

'