910D2 vs M2

mefnocerous

If I take my M2 head off my ADBB and put my old 910 back on there, do you really think I will lose that much distance? accuracy?

When i catch the M2 right it goes a mile. But i feel like i just used to hit more fairways with my 910.

I thought the 910 was the hidden gem that i just keep going back to- and ive played/tried soooooo many drivers.

outside of buying a second ADBB and spec'ing them the same, is there any way to really know?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give us some numbers? It's hard to really comment on "low triple digits"

Also is your feeling about hitting more fairways justified by your data and scores? Or is it just a feeling because the 910 didn't give you any scorcher when you hit it on the screws like the M2? I used the same shaft as you in the 2017 M1 head and I feel it's way better than the 910 D3 I had in the past.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Can you give us some numbers? It's hard to really comment on "low triple digits"

Also is your feeling about hitting more fairways justified by your data and scores? Or is it just a feeling because the 910 didn't give you any scorcher when you hit it on the screws like the M2? I used the same shaft as you in the 2017 M1 head and I feel it's way better than the 910 D3 I had in the past.

Sadly I can't give you more numbers. I don't have them.

I guess I was asking if anyone knows of a test that's been done comparing the two.

There are tests for the 915 or 917 vs the M2, and I can probably find something comparing the 910 to one of the newer titleist iterations, but it will always vary by golfer.

I just don't understand why my swing speed would have any effect on the answer. Whether its 101 or 107, does that make the M2 any noticibly better or worse?

But I agree with what you're saying, I don't think the 910 ever had those huge distance gains on shots hit "on the screws" so maybe I was just thinking it was more consistent because they were all going closer to the same distance, relatively speaking.

Interesting discussion, and I'm interested. I'm currently hitting a 910D2 with an RIP Alpha (stiff) shaft. I been on trackman with this and the M2 (2017) with the new HAZRDUS Yellow 65 shaft. I'm hitting both pretty much on the screws, and the 910 is spinning about 6-700 more RPM's. The M2 is spinning in the 2300-2400 range, the 910D2 is the 3000 range. I love the feel and sound of the 910, but when you look at the numbers (spin and landing angle), the M2 is killing the 910. Would a HAZRDUS Yel 65 shaft in the 910 get me better numbers? I'd love to know, but it is an expensive test.... sigh.

Like the OP, I've always found that the 910 is a fairway finder. Easy to work either way. The M2 with the HAZRDUS shaft and the EPIC SZ are the only two drivers I have hit that give me question as to whether to replace the 910.

Interesting discussion, and I'm interested. I'm currently hitting a 910D2 with an RIP Alpha (stiff) shaft. I been on trackman with this and the M2 (2017) with the new HAZRDUS Yellow 65 shaft. I'm hitting both pretty much on the screws, and the 910 is spinning about 6-700 more RPM's. The M2 is spinning in the 2300-2400 range, the 910D2 is the 3000 range. I love the feel and sound of the 910, but when you look at the numbers (spin and landing angle), the M2 is killing the 910. Would a HAZRDUS Yel 65 shaft in the 910 get me better numbers? I'd love to know, but it is an expensive test.... sigh.

Like the OP, I've always found that the 910 is a fairway finder. Easy to work either way. The M2 with the HAZRDUS shaft and the EPIC SZ are the only two drivers I have hit that give me question as to whether to replace the 910.

right, so is it the shaft? or is it the head? dead on, expensive test.

I'm still in a 910 D2 with a Kaili and have been debating on an upgrade all offseason. It sounds like the Callaway and Taylormade offerings are getting big reviews but the 910 has always been so consistent for me I'm apprehensive. To the point I've considered going to the 917 to try and gain some performance (admittedly marginally behind Cally and TM) while maintaining the consistency.

Also think the Taylormade lie angle is a little upright for me eye (the M2 at least). Is there an option to adjust that while maintaining loft?

910D2 9.5
910FD 15
910F 19
716 AP1 5-PW
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58
SC Select NP 2.0

Used to play a 910 D3 bought an M2 and couldn't hit a fairway, the 910 was accurate as a club could be, but I was looking for alittle more distance

I moved to the 915 and have no regrets. In my opinion shaft is king you can make any club head work with the right one, probably isn't the same shaft for all of them.

If your playing your M2 at 45" because you got the shaft from your 910 the swingweight is probably different. Maybe try throwing some lead tape on the M2

The 910 was a very good driver. The M2 is better in pretty much all categories.

How so? Both are maxed out COR heads

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

The ballspeeds on both are similar as are most drivers I've hit the past 8years. I have 3 tour issued 910 d2 heads 7.5, 9.5,10.5 they all spin for me about 6-800 more than my m2 head. That's were the difference is for me. Very accurate driver the 910 d2 probably the best I've played but I couldn't get the spin even close to the m2. The only variable that was different is the d2 heads were hotmelted to 199 with out adapter the m2 was 197. 73xwb in both drivers. If your a low spin player the 910 d2 is a dynamite stick.

The ballspeeds on both are similar as are most drivers I've hit the past 8years. I have 3 tour issued 910 d2 heads 7.5, 9.5,10.5 they all spin for me about 6-800 more than my m2 head. That's were the difference is for me. Very accurate driver the 910 d2 probably the best I've played but I couldn't get the spin even close to the m2. The only variable that was different is the d2 heads were hotmelted to 199 with out adapter the m2 was 197. 73xwb in both drivers. If your a low spin player the 910 d2 is a dynamite stick.

EXCELLENT answer! thank you booker!

now spin rate questions.

1) 600 rpm really isn't that big of a difference is it?

2) how do you really decide who is a "high spin" player and a "low spin" player?

high spin will launch higher, also more left/right variation, right? so higher speeds leads to players wanting less spin? or am i off here

I have the exact same drivers, Diamana blue boards in both. M2 is about 7 yards longer on average. M2 is a bit more anti left for me as well.

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

910 is a fantastic driver, I still have mine in the bag but it will be replaced in a matter of days when I put up the epic against the epic sub zero to see what makes it.

The two callaway drivers already beat the M1 and M2, titleist 917 and Cobras.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

M2 and M1 are both at least 5-10 yards longer for me than the 910/913 D2 drivers. If I am looking to hit fairways the Titleist rarely lets me down, and the M1 is long but I often have no idea where it was going. Recently picked up the M2 and so far I am really impressed... long, forgiving, and feels great. I'll keep my 913 D2 but the M2 is a beast so far. When I had the M2 on the GC2 last I was seeing 1800-2300 RPM, 104 SS, 250-260 carry. The 910 is great, if it works for you stick with it.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Who cares about spin if you're in the fairway. I've said it many times that I love the 910 D3 and have hit longer low spinning drives with a lot of other drivers but my best scores have always come with the 910 in the bag. I picked up the 917 D3 as the numbers were slightly better than my 910. I'll run it through the paces on the course once spring gets here to determine if it'll stay in the bag or go on the market. FWIW the 917 was better performing for ME than the Epic and the Taylor Made offerings. I just can't justify a few extra yards that might be gained, look what it did for Jordan Spieth last year....if you find something that works ride it out

Great Topic , the 910 .

Keep/ re buy the 910 combo that works. Confidence on the Tee is priceless.

I upgraded a Lefty mate from 910 D2 Illima to 913 D2 Diamana +..and the shaft doesn't fit him.

So i'm bidding on another 61 R Illima......thats life !!

This is Golfwrx...your OK to buy the club back..a few times!! V Steels, X Forgeds, Anser2's 910's

Some of us place a Far Higher value on being In the Fairway !!

I don't play golf on Trackman.

Just on the green stuff.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

haha i meant swing speed on drives was low triple digits.

not that it went 100 yards ha.

So thats what? 260? 270? total depending on launch angle

Oops, sorry!

I have both. I'm using 2016 M2 with a Diamana B series 60 shaft. I have a 910D3 head, collecting a Tour AD BB6 shaft today for this. I really like the B series shaft in the M2,looking forward to testing the BB6. I imagine the distance difference will be <10 yards, hard to beat 910 on feel and accuracy. I'm not too concerned with spin, get me in the fairway

Great thread.

My gamer is still 910D3 with Rip Alpha 80x. It's currently conpeting against XR16 SZ and 2016 M1. The newer heads are "consistently" lower spin by design but my gamer hasn't been knocked out yet. There are spells when I'll game something else, most recently DBD, but then I realize I'm gaining nothing except a lower fairway percentage. Another factor that keeps her in the bag is she's been on trackman multiple times and I can consistently avg. 1.48-1.51 smash with almost any shaft setup so I got a HOT head. I've seen as high as 165/166 BS with only 110SS on trackman from my 910. So when I ramp up to my usual 115-120 speeds you get the idea.

Haven't found another head that can consistently match its ballspeed or accuracy but I'll keep searching...:-)

If I take my M2 head off my ADBB and put my old 910 back on there, do you really think I will lose that much distance? accuracy?

When i catch the M2 right it goes a mile. But i feel like i just used to hit more fairways with my 910.

I thought the 910 was the hidden gem that i just keep going back to- and ive played/tried soooooo many drivers.

outside of buying a second ADBB and spec'ing them the same, is there any way to really know?

I feel the same way. I have the d3 and I can control it better. I might hit my M2 farther but I'm guessing where it's going.

910 d2/3 great drivers! Dufner only changed this year from his. I had a d3 8.5 with a project x 7a3 which i loved! Too many guys chasing crazy low spin when in reality probably 90% could do with more spin. Im sitting right around 2100 to 2200 with my 917 and can honestly say i wouldnt really like any less