KBS S-Taper shafts

245

Comments

  • WaterboyWaterboy #TheWRX Members Posts: 1,303 ✭✭
    I've been using these for about a month - month and a half. I have bounced around with iron shafts for the last 7 months and finally settled on something that I will be using for a bit.



    I had always been a steel shaft player, used Nippon Modus 3 in 120s for a few years then went to Callaway last December and was fit for a lighter weight steelfiber to help get my spin numbers and launch numbers up.



    Since the trip I've started taking lessons regularly and worked on my swing. I was starting to miss the heavier weight so I got a demo of one of the $ tapers to try out and ended up putting them in 5 - pw in my irons.



    They feel smooth and launch great. I don't really know if spin is up or down with these as I haven't been on a monitor since I made the switch but they seem to flight really well and loading them isn't as difficult as I had expected.



    I'm nervous moving forward with these as they may cause some joint pain like all steel seems to for me at some point, but until then, these will stay in play.



    The step pattern seems longer then the kbs tour which probably contributes to the launch and flight characteristics.



    The price tag was a little to digest, but I think these are going to be a great fit for a bit.
    Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
    Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

    WITB:
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,425 ✭✭
    Recently I believe Ricky Fowler was playing them. Will be testing them soon.
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X6C12 Tour Issue
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, C-Taper Tour
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,123 ✭✭


    Recently I believe Ricky Fowler was playing them. Will be testing them soon.




    Really, pretty sure he was c taper at US open? These are def less demanding than c taper.
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,425 ✭✭
    Redjeep83 wrote:



    Recently I believe Ricky Fowler was playing them. Will be testing them soon.




    Really, pretty sure he was c taper at US open? These are def less demanding than c taper.




    Not sure, just that KBS Tour $ Taper label is distinct and noticeable. Tour 105 has a similar label, but given they are much lighter, unlikely anyone on tour would play them. I had C-Tapers for a short while, didn't like the feel, also had KBS Tour V-110 S for a bit, same dislike. Tip didn't offer much feed back. I find it interesting that the head KBS designer is also the one that made my PX shafts that I have played since 06.
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X6C12 Tour Issue
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, C-Taper Tour
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Members Posts: 976 ✭✭

    Team Ping wrote:
    Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.



    I'm a huge fan or them to say the least




    What shafts were you playing prior?




    DG TI x7 for spin reduction.



    Went to the s+ in the s taper lol
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77
    Team Ping wrote:

    Team Ping wrote:
    Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.



    I'm a huge fan or them to say the least




    What shafts were you playing prior?




    DG TI x7 for spin reduction.



    Went to the s+ in the s taper lol




    Do you find the s-taper play stiffer to flex or about right?
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,123 ✭✭

    Team Ping wrote:

    Team Ping wrote:
    Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.



    I'm a huge fan or them to say the least




    What shafts were you playing prior?




    DG TI x7 for spin reduction.



    Went to the s+ in the s taper lol




    Do you find the s-taper play stiffer to flex or about right?




    They play just right to flex.
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX
    These are going into my 545/745 Combo set!! Can't wait and gonna look sweet in black
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77
    Those look sick! I thought they weren't using stickers though?
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX


    Those look sick! I thought they weren't using stickers though?




    Yeah I guess the 360 label was only available on chrome and I also heard had peeling issues. I actually prefer these labels so I don't have to see them from address
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members Posts: 2,028
    I know KBS lost their main club maker distributor but it's strange to see a high end steel shaft that isn't being promoted that much.
  • WaterboyWaterboy #TheWRX Members Posts: 1,303 ✭✭
    mtex22 wrote:



    Those look sick! I thought they weren't using stickers though?




    Yeah I guess the 360 label was only available on chrome and I also heard had peeling issues. I actually prefer these labels so I don't have to see them from address




    My chrome has stickers too. Don't mind it. They are great when it comes to replacing them
    Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
    Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

    WITB:
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,920 ✭✭
    Seems some people are more fascinated by the 'sticker' than the shaft itself. Maybe they think the '$-sticker' helps justify the ridiculously high cost of these KBS $-Taper Shafts... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />



    image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

    Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • WaterboyWaterboy #TheWRX Members Posts: 1,303 ✭✭
    Redjeep83 wrote:


    Team Ping wrote:

    Team Ping wrote:
    Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.



    I'm a huge fan or them to say the least




    What shafts were you playing prior?




    DG TI x7 for spin reduction.



    Went to the s+ in the s taper lol




    Do you find the s-taper play stiffer to flex or about right?




    They play just right to flex.




    Agree. Pretty spot on with flex.
    Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
    Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

    WITB:
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)
  • FireProFirePro Members Posts: 864 ✭✭
    with the current USD to CAD exchange rate right now ourch, this would set me back..... Still so tempted. also I would install and not apply stickers
    Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
    Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
    Titleist 909 F2 (18.5deg) UST AxivCore Tour Green 95X Tipped 1.5" @ 41.5"
    Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
    Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
    Hand Crafted wedges from Kyoei Raw Forged Blanks
    52deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    56deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    60deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X 8i Shaft
    Putter: Odyssey Havok
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,425 ✭✭
    mtex22 wrote:


    These are going into my 545/745 Combo set!! Can't wait and gonna look sweet in black




    Am I seeing correctly? I was lead to believe labels for KBS Tour $-Taper are permanently attached from KBS. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X6C12 Tour Issue
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, C-Taper Tour
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,123 ✭✭
    edited Jun 28, 2017 #48

    mtex22 wrote:


    These are going into my 545/745 Combo set!! Can't wait and gonna look sweet in black




    Am I seeing correctly? I was lead to believe labels for KBS Tour $-Taper are permanently attached from KBS. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />




    black ones don't have it yet only chrome. ps. I'm sure you could get the permanent sticker off, scrape it but it does looks kinda cool
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 29, 2017 #49
    I played 7 holes with them today. Wow! Signature KBS Feel but less spin and stronger ball flight vs my previous KBS Tour 120.



    Ive played C Taper as well in the past and definitely a livelier tip with a nice feel and kick but very stable!!!



    Explosive combo with my 545 long irons and just solid feel with my mid and short irons in the 745 heads



    I also have them in all three wedges. Much livelier than than DG in the prior



    Black finish looks amazing by the way! I prefer the labels being on the underside not seen. Love that $ symbol. So cool
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77
    Those look awesome mtex! Do you feel like you picked up a few yards due to the lower spin? Did you have any issues with stopping the ball on the greens?
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX


    Those look awesome mtex! Do you feel like you picked up a few yards due to the lower spin? Did you have any issues with stopping the ball on the greens?




    I do feel like I picked up a few yards. I didn't notice too much spin loss so I would rather have the extra carry distance
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • FireProFirePro Members Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I think the first run had the screened label 360 but future runs will have a sticker if I heard correctly.
    Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
    Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
    Titleist 909 F2 (18.5deg) UST AxivCore Tour Green 95X Tipped 1.5" @ 41.5"
    Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
    Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
    Hand Crafted wedges from Kyoei Raw Forged Blanks
    52deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    56deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X PW Shaft
    60deg w/ KBS $-Taper 130X 8i Shaft
    Putter: Odyssey Havok
  • OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,386 ✭✭
    Anyone have any info about tip reinforcement. Bending issues are well documented with the tours and c tapers
  • ValueGolfValueGolf Members Posts: 193 ✭✭


    I know KBS lost their main club maker distributor but it's strange to see a high end steel shaft that isn't being promoted that much.




    Who was their main "clubmaker distributor"?
  • ValueGolfValueGolf Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Redjeep83 wrote:


    mtex22 wrote:


    These are going into my 545/745 Combo set!! Can't wait and gonna look sweet in black




    Am I seeing correctly? I was lead to believe labels for KBS Tour $-Taper are permanently attached from KBS. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />




    black ones don't have it yet only chrome. ps. I'm sure you could get the permanent sticker off, scrape it but it does looks kinda cool




    There is no permanent sticker on any of the $-Tapers, chrome or black. Originally they went with a cured 360 label for both chrome and black, but they were having issues with it, and went back to the traditional labels (as pictured above).
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,123 ✭✭
    ValueGolf wrote:

    Redjeep83 wrote:


    mtex22 wrote:


    These are going into my 545/745 Combo set!! Can't wait and gonna look sweet in black




    Am I seeing correctly? I was lead to believe labels for KBS Tour $-Taper are permanently attached from KBS. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />




    black ones don't have it yet only chrome. ps. I'm sure you could get the permanent sticker off, scrape it but it does looks kinda cool




    There is no permanent sticker on any of the $-Tapers, chrome or black. Originally they went with a cured 360 label for both chrome and black, but they were having issues with it, and went back to the traditional labels (as pictured above).




    I didn't know this. I got mine from ping about 3 weeks ago and they were cured 360 labels. Might have to call them if I run into issues
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 1, 2017 #57
    Redjeep83 wrote:

    ValueGolf wrote:

    Redjeep83 wrote:


    mtex22 wrote:


    These are going into my 545/745 Combo set!! Can't wait and gonna look sweet in black




    Am I seeing correctly? I was lead to believe labels for KBS Tour $-Taper are permanently attached from KBS. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />




    black ones don't have it yet only chrome. ps. I'm sure you could get the permanent sticker off, scrape it but it does looks kinda cool




    There is no permanent sticker on any of the $-Tapers, chrome or black. Originally they went with a cured 360 label for both chrome and black, but they were having issues with it, and went back to the traditional labels (as pictured above).




    I didn't know this. I got mine from ping about 3 weeks ago and they were cured 360 labels. Might have to call them if I run into issues




    Ping offers these as an option? Was their an upcharge?
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,123 ✭✭
    edited Jul 1, 2017 #58
    Yea they offer them for upcharge. i don't know upcharge price though, I've got connections,lol,
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT Members Posts: 4,586 ✭✭
    mtex22 wrote:


    I played 7 holes with them today. Wow! Signature KBS Feel but less spin and stronger ball flight vs my previous KBS Tour 120.



    Ive played C Taper as well in the past and definitely a livelier tip with a nice feel and kick but very stable!!!



    Explosive combo with my 545 long irons and just solid feel with my mid and short irons in the 745 heads



    I also have them in all three wedges. Much livelier than than DG in the prior



    Black finish looks amazing by the way! I prefer the labels being on the underside not seen. Love that $ symbol. So cool




    So are these perma gamers?
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
    @thereal#7
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,170 ClubWRX
    MJisGOAT wrote:

    mtex22 wrote:


    I played 7 holes with them today. Wow! Signature KBS Feel but less spin and stronger ball flight vs my previous KBS Tour 120.



    Ive played C Taper as well in the past and definitely a livelier tip with a nice feel and kick but very stable!!!



    Explosive combo with my 545 long irons and just solid feel with my mid and short irons in the 745 heads



    I also have them in all three wedges. Much livelier than than DG in the prior



    Black finish looks amazing by the way! I prefer the labels being on the underside not seen. Love that $ symbol. So cool




    So are these perma gamers?




    Jury is still out. Need a few more rounds under the belt



    Couldn't find the bottom of my swing today but when I did shafts performed great
    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW747V 4-PW - Modus 105
    COBRA Pur 50/54/58
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT Members Posts: 4,586 ✭✭
    I'm considering these against Modus 130 or giving another try to the Modus 120. Alternating between KBS tour and SF i95 right now. I like the feedback of steel much better, but SF does have a nice stable ball flight.
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
    @thereal#7
Sign In or Register to comment.