Epic driver Carbon fiber crown durability in general.

ccn

Holy smokes I broke the crown on my epic. I was hitting balls in my house and had my bag behind me and hit my club on the backswing. I did not think much of it because it was not that hard and something I have done before with other drivers. I set the club down at address and the clear coat chipped out and some of the carbon fiber caved in a little. It's small 1/8" wide by 3/4" long but looks awful. It can probably be fixed with a touch of black epoxy. But holy smokes are these carbon fiber tops this fragile I really can't believe the damage such a small hit caused. If you slam a club in the bag after a bad hit, like some of my short fused friends you might end up with a crater. I am really bummed. Has anyone else experienced this, and how has the top of peoples m1 and m2 clubs held up. Make a great driver that is as fragile as an Easter egg, exploit golf wrxers that must look at perfection at address, hum? More marketing genius, but I do love this driver. I hope the sub zero head I picked up on here yesterday performs better for me. I will be interested to hear of any other issues. Guess I will try not to be an idiot in the future.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did this to my GBB 3wood a few weeks ago. Has a nice dent in the head now, even though it had a headcover on it. Felt pretty mad... at myself - my fault.

Bottom line is, build quality is fine, they were not meant to be hit on the crown with another club.

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

Related story, my buddy and I both bought Cleveland Launchers at the same time, same store. Immediately went to the course from the store and were just talking and swinging and somehow smashed our drivers into each other. Huge dents in both heads, drove back to the store with our sob story. Store calls Cleveland rep and rep told the store to give us two new clubs. Pretty good customer service.

Sorry to hear of your story, might want to at least call Callaway and cry.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

I'm not quite sure how this is a driver build quality issue?

You hit your bag with a part of the club that typically isn't making contact with anything. Sucks that it happened but how is this Callaway's fault or issue?

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

You hit your bag with a part of the club that typically isn't making contact with anything. Sucks that it happened but how is this Callaway's fault or issue?

Um did you take the time to read my post and the question mark. You are obviously a callaway fan boy based on your bag. I said I loved the driver, simply wondered if people had experienced the same issue with realitively light contact. At least others gave some constructive feedback.

Related story, my buddy and I both bought Cleveland Launchers at the same time, same store. Immediately went to the course from the store and were just talking and swinging and somehow smashed our drivers into each other. Huge dents in both heads, drove back to the store with our sob story. Store calls Cleveland rep and rep told the store to give us two new clubs. Pretty good customer service.

Ya I was not a happy camper. I won't cry to callaway since it was my bone headed move, just surprised what happen from such light contact. Pretty impressive on Cleveland though!

Did this to my GBB 3wood a few weeks ago. Has a nice dent in the head now, even though it had a headcover on it. Felt pretty mad... at myself - my fault.

Bottom line is, build quality is fine, they were not meant to be hit on the crown with another club.

Ok good to know. I have had the ping g30 since it came out and it's a tank and that paint they use is very durable. First carbon fiber crown club I have owned, guess I will have to be a little more mindful of how I handle it. Thanks!

Um did you take the time to read my post and the question mark. You are obviously a callaway fan boy based on your bag. I said I loved the driver, simply wondered if people had experienced the same issue with realitively light contact. At least others gave some constructive feedback.

Read your post, saw the Post title of "Epic driver build quality?" which is what made me click on your post to begin with. Maybe change the title...

So you're wondering if other people have hit the crown and damaged it? No, I haven't.

Is your takeaway smooth? How hard was the impact to create that blemish?

Signed, Callaway Fan Boy

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Ya I was not a happy camper. I won't cry to callaway since it was my bone headed move, just surprised what happen from such light contact. Pretty impressive on Cleveland though!

Email Callaway and tell them you are a bonehead and made a mistake and are looking to see if there is anyway to fix it... Bet you end up with a new club...

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Knowing Callaway, there's a good chance they'll probably replace it.

Bottom line on it though, is that it's carbon fiber. While strong for it's weight, if it's not a section of the driver that's designed to withstand pressure/impact, it's not that sturdy of a material.

Racing BMX, a lot of components were carbon fiber. It's incredibly strong for how light it is, but I've broken more carbon fiber components and helmets than any other material. Plus, it looks like whatever you placed a lot of impact into one certain spot, which isn't good woven materials that aren't designed for it.

Put your head in the way of that "light contact" and see how you feel. :swoon:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Read your post, saw the Post title of "Epic driver build quality?" which is what made me click on your post to begin with. Maybe change the title...

So you're wondering if other people have hit the crown and damaged it? No, I haven't.

Is your takeaway smooth? How hard was the impact to create that blemish?

Signed, Callaway Fan Boy

Fair enough. I really hoped the question mark clarified I was genuinely asking if anyone had a similar issue. Takeaway is middle of the road, feel like it's slow but video shows moderate tempo. The thing is when I hit my bag I really did not think too much about it. That's the main reason I was surprised at the damage. Plus no one else had posted something similar and I looked on anything with m1 or m2. Really was not trashing callaway I think there finishes on clubs can be sub par at times, like other oems. Just wanted to see if there was a common trend, or just me. No fun jacking up a club you actually like.

That is one big house...how much are your utilities? Expensive faux pas have done similarly dumb things for sure.

Ha ha ha. My living room is open to the second floor so I hang a impact screen over the railing and throw my country club elite mat down and swing away. My wife does not even care, but when you live at 7000 feet in Colorado you have to find some winter time golf somehow.

Dude I hate how delicate those crowns are now. Like damn snowflakes. I smashed so many of them I finally found a solution.

Bonus is that is really reduces the noise of the hit. Downside is reapplying tape every 5-6 rounds.

Holy sh#* thats funny. Is that cobra sponsored bubble wrap? Thanks for that, needed a laugh after my reckless destruction of a perfectly good golf club.

Talk to Callaway and they'll take care of you. Something that costs $600 shouldn't be expected to be as fragile as glass. My 2 year old son recently took a driver to my glass door. Neither the door or the club got damaged. See where I'm going with this?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Talk to Callaway and they'll take care of you. Something that costs $600 shouldn't be expected to be as fragile as glass. My 2 year old son recently took a driver to my glass door. Neither the door or the club got damaged. See where I'm going with this?

I stay home with my 4 year old boy and 2 year old girl. They were playing light sabers with my 8 iron and hybrid just last week. The cobra fly z hybrid faired much better than the epic did in my hands.

Did something similar last year with a nearly new M2, on the driving range before a round on a windy day, started hitting a few driver shots and never noticed my trolley moving behind, smacked the wedges and left a horrendous mark, also damaged the shaft, which i didn't notice until a few rounds later!

It was never a lucky club to be honest, just replaced it with the 2017 M2 so hoping this one isn't cursed like the last!

I have a friend that went into Dicks a few weeks ago and was telling me something similar. He went in to look at some new drivers and said the demo Epic (not sure which one) topline was all beat up (looked like a lot of sky marks)...anyways he watched some kid proceed to pick up the club and take a few swings with it. On 2-3 swing he said the crown literally went flying off into the net. On a side not he said it would make a good demo for the salesman to show the "jail break".

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

I use the face of the club for impact, it's how the club was designed :taunt:

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I have a friend that went into Dicks a few weeks ago and was telling me something similar. He went in to look at some new drivers and said the demo Epic (not sure which one) topline was all beat up (looked like a lot of sky marks)...anyways he watched some kid proceed to pick up the club and take a few swings with it. On 2-3 swing he said the crown literally went flying off into the net. On a side not he said it would make a good demo for the salesman to show the "jail break".

A friend has a cobra ltd and he is not very gentle with it and the top is good after a year. Maybe the carbon fiber is just super thin in the epics. Would love to see the jailbreak up close, ha ha.

A friend has a cobra ltd and he is not very gentle with it and the top is good after a year. Maybe the carbon fiber is just super thin in the epics. Would love to see the jailbreak up close, ha ha.

I wanted to see it to...lol. I asked him what he or the kid did after it happened, he said kid bolted out of store like the roadrunner. Lol

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Agree with silverbullets. Contact Callaway and very politely tell them what happened and ask if can be repaired. No accusations that it's a delicate piece of cr@p, just that you're very upset because you love the club and are surprised because you didn't hit it very hard.

They will do something for you, even if it's charge a few bucks for "repair". When I say repair, I mean they will call it a repair and switch out the head for you. There's zero chance they take the time to fix it given they cost them about $50 bucks to make.

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if they didn't help you out.

What's the old saying? ...."it never hurts to ask".

The guy that runs our DSG golf department said that other stores he's spoke to have had many problems with the Epic line "breaking". He also said that's the reason why they do not have any in stock yet too. But we have the absolute worst DSG golf department of all for stocking clubs (zero M1 2017, 4 2017 M2, zero Epic anything). Maybe he's FOS, about the Epic line but reading hour post reminded me of what he said.

Like many have said the carbon fiber is thin and maybe too many sky balls weakened the epoxy on the demo that fell apart.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Agree with silverbullets. Contact Callaway and very politely tell them what happened and ask if can be repaired. No accusations that it's a delicate piece of cr@p, just that you're very upset because you love the club and are surprised because you didn't hit it very hard.

They will do something for you, even if it's charge a few bucks for "repair". When I say repair, I mean they will call it a repair and switch out the head for you. There's zero chance they take the time to fix it given they cost them about $50 bucks to make.

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if they didn't help you out.

What's the old saying? ...."it never hurts to ask".

Ya I am guessing it will go straight to the trash bin, and a new head sent out if they "fix it." But from all the comments of how easily the carbon fiber breaks, and seeing it was my bad, maybe I will just put it on eBay if I like the subzero better.

Holy smokes I broke the crown on my epic. I was hitting balls in my house and had my bag behind me and hit my club on the backswing. I did not think much of it because it was not that hard and something I have done before with other drivers. I set the club down at address and the clear coat chipped out and some of the carbon fiber caved in a little. It's small 1/8" wide by 3/4" long but looks awful. It can probably be fixed with a touch of black epoxy. But holy smokes are these carbon fiber tops this fragile I really can't believe the damage such a small hit caused. If you slam a club in the bag after a bad hit, like some of my short fused friends you might end up with a crater. I am really bummed. Has anyone else experienced this, and how has the top of peoples m1 and m2 clubs held up. Make a great driver that is as fragile as an Easter egg, exploit golf wrxers that must look at perfection at address, hum? More marketing genius, but I do love this driver. I hope the sub zero head I picked up on here yesterday performs better for me. I will be interested to hear of any other issues. Guess I will try not to be an idiot in the future.

The carbon fiber crown doesn't "break easily", I don't know why you are saying that.

It was never designed to withstand direct forces, that's not its purpose. It's purpose is to be thin so weight can be stripped away and moved elsewhere.

"Fragile as an easter egg", when you hit the crown against another club? I guess sunroofs are also too fragile when people roll their vehicles.

C'mon man, you can be frustrated with yourself, but don't act like this is even 1% manufacturers fault.

I'd ring Callaway, from what you did I'd expect a nasty scratch but not a dint.

What about if you're in a cart going over bumps? Those clubs get flung around a bit and the head cover isn't like the old style where there is some foam to protect from impacts.

The carbon fiber crown doesn't "break easily", I don't know why you are saying that.

It was never designed to withstand direct forces, that's not its purpose. It's purpose is to be thin so weight can be stripped away and moved elsewhere.

"Fragile as an easter egg", when you hit the crown against another club? I guess sunroofs are also too fragile when people roll their vehicles.

C'mon man, you can be frustrated with yourself, but don't act like this is even 1% manufacturers fault.

Any concept of sarcasm? I was clearly being a smart a**. I don't need a clarification of the weight savings benefit of carbon fiber. Simply wanted to know if people had experienced similar issues when hitting the top of the club on accident. It was on the backswing it was not very hard. Golf backswing to car rollover interesting comparison. I even stated that I was not going to cry to Callaway about it since it was my fault. Thanks for quoting a 1/4 of my sentence. And glad you know that there is zero manufacturing issues with a brand new club to the market.