2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: The BIG TaylorMade TP5 / TP5x ball testing thread

HipCheck

Recently hundreds of GolfWRX members applied to test new TaylorMade TP5 / TP5x golf balls. We were happy to include 100 members in this round of testing!

Members will not receive a PM, but rather an email from "[email protected]" indicating they were selected.

If you received a package in the mail already, congrats! Test away and add your reviews below.

We appreciate everyone who applied.

Thanks!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About me: Current index 2.0 trending the wrong way. In the last few years I have played the Lethal then the TPX. Have not had a Pro V1x as my go to in a long time. Driver SS 100. 7 Iron Distance 160-165 in warm weather (today was 90 degrees in PHX)

Balls tested Pro V1, Lethal, TPX, TP5X Pro V1x (long game only)

C6WubCDU8AAYFA6.jpg

The line up

C6wjO1yUwAA9dVP.jpg

Putter feel. All very close imo the V1 edges out in terms of softness. If I had to rank them V1, Lethal, TP5x, TPX

They were all close enough where none really stood out at being a significantly better feeling ball to me. I rolled putts of varying distance from 5 to 30 feet multiple times with each.

Short game ProV1, Lethal, TPx, TP5x = balls tested

Feel: Very similar to the putter test. I hit varying pitch/chip shots from 10 to 30 yards with two of each ball. Hit close to 100 shots in total. Wedges used Vokey TVD K grind 56 and Vokey Wedgeworks V Grind 60 both reasonably fresh grooves the 60 being the freshest. All pitch shots were hit to the same hole which was a very firm overseeded Rye grass green into a consistent slight upslope. I did this since the greens were very firm it was the most consistent slope on the green and best way for me to see spin rates. I rotated between wedges hitting different types of shots open face high and soft to square and low open face back foot spinners.

I did not find any particular ball to be a standout here.

Pro V1 most spin-not surprising I wish I had some 1x’s lying around but only had a few 1’s that I’ve found on the course, Lethal was 2nd in spin, TP5x and TPX were pretty close slight edge to the TP5x. Really very small difference between the 4 balls. On pitches of similar strike and spin the V1 stopped about 1-2 feet quicker at best. The other TM balls the difference in stopping distance was negligible. To me the most important thing is they all did what I expected them to do based on the intended shot and quality of the strike. I really wish I had access to a nice bent grass practice facility to test as bent really takes spin well and would be a better judge than firm overseed Bermuda/rye.

One round of 20 yard pitch shots. All very similar quality of strike

C6qoaN6UwAAvX6J.jpg

Iron game-Full swings. Prov 1+1x, Lethal, TPX, TP5x tested Playing on a Sunday with groups in front and behind so I had to be strategic about my comparisons.

Distance. Hit 6 irons and 8 irons on par 5’s fairway to fairway while waiting for greens to clear and we had a window. Pro V1x was the shortest by a full club minimum. The TM balls were all within a half club or less of each other with the TP5x being the longer than the 2016 TPx by 1-2 yards. The Lethal was 1-2 yards behind the TPx. On the 8 iron shot the Tpx was closer to 1.5 maybe even 2 clubs longer than the Pro V1x. Both center face shots the V1x had about a 5 yard fade on it vs straight with the Tp5x. If you back out the fade still a full 1.5 club difference between them. This is one of the reasons I switched from the 1x years ago. When I lost SS when my hips went out the 1x fell off rapidly. I think you need to be closer to 110mph with driver to get the most out of the 1x.

Here is the distance gap between the Pro V1x and TP5x. The 5x is circled at the top of the pic

C6veKKPU4AA54Tn.jpg

Spin: I will need to evaluate this over a longer period. I have been fighting a very bad swing recently and got it dialed in a little with my range session yesterday. My contact was miles better today but my direction was way off and even though I was hitting center face I only hit 5 greens (plus driver was wayyyyy off). I hit cuts when I was trying to hit it straight and straight when playing for the cut. From what I could initially see it reacts very similar to the 2016 TPx. Which for me is one bounce and a little back up Wedges-9 iron, one hop stop with 8-7, a little release 6, 5-10+ yards of release with 4 and 5 irons. I did hit a very solid 52 which was at the edge of my carry window 117 to flag my max carry is 115. I hit it 115 into an up slope. It came back but did not zip way back like a higher spinning ball would. In this case, it was a good thing and I actually prefer my wedges not to zip back. Ill do some more testing with mid irons in future rounds.

Feel: The TP5x felt very similar to the 2016 to me. None of the balls really stood out as being better or worse feeling to me, honestly unless it feels like a rock or a marshmallow I’m not going to be too discerning here.

Wind 05/08/2017: Finally had the chance to play the TP5X in some real wind over the weekend. Highest recorded gust in Scottsdale was 39mph. The back nine was a pretty constant 20 mph+, the front nine was a little quieter about 10-15. Few shots and holes stood out. Par 3 146 dead into the wind(10mph). No wind this would be a stock 8 iron maybe hard 9 in right conditions. I went with the 8 knowing it was a full club wind. I wanted to see what would happen with the TP5X Here. I hit it pure about 1 yard left of flag. Surprising part is I hit it incredibly high, I thought this thing is going to get eaten up by the wind and be 20 yards short at least. Nope it just kept flying and carried about 142 landed and backed up a bit on front fringe 15 feet from pin. The 2nd shot that made me say wow was a 3 wood from 245 out over bunkers into wind(10mph). I was hoping to just put it short of green for an easy chip. The ball just cut through the air and ended up rolling out through the green. Now on the back nine when the wind started getting up to 25-30 mph it had a much much bigger impact on the ball. No ball is going to withstand 25+. Had a 52* wedge on the short par 4 get caught in a 25+ cross wind and blown off line by about 10-12 yards. 8 Iron from 150 that I got very steep on and hit with some cut spin that got eaten up and blown about 30 yards right of target. Wind was blowing left to right there and exaggerated the cut spin. Overall it seems like winds less than 10-15 mph have very little impact on the ball maybe 1/2 club into wind vs full club on other balls.

Bottom line: If you are a diehard Pro V/1x guy you owe yourself a favor to at least try the TP5x as IMO the Pro v tech has been eclipsed and it was a long time ago in my book. IF you have been playing the Bridgstone 330rx for its low spin I think you will like the TP5x as it will give you much better greenside performance than the RX gave me. For me playing the last 3 versions of the TM Tour ball it would be a stretch to say this is a game changer. Great ball and most likely will be in the bag. Significantly better than 2016 TPX? A little better not significant. If I was still playing the Pro V1x this ball would be a game changer though.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Got a weird package alert from FedEx yesterday. Got the email today. Placeholder for my review!

3/3/2017 update:

I haven't received my TM package yet, but I did buy a dozen TP5x so I can give me first comments on them.

Had a lesson yesterday and I used it for putting and short game work.

Putter:

It felt very, very good off my putter. It was soft but not marshmallow chromesoft soft that I dislike. Felt in line with XV, Tour Platinum, K-Sig. I grade it well for feel off putter.

Wedges:

Again, felt soft, but not mushy. Feel was great.

Green reaction: it bit, but it did not bite hard, which I like. I like a 3-4 foot rollout and I was getting that. Again, in line with K-Sig and Tour Platinum I loved.

Launch: I could adjust launch very easily. I could low spinners that hopped and stopped and I could hit high flops and mid launch bloopers that bit and rolled.

I could control it.

Will add more as I play it more. Maybe my TM pack will be a TP5 and I can compare both.

3/5/17 update:

Put it in play for a round and I gotta say that these launch very high. I was hitting moon balls all day.

Distance was same as B330s and Tour Platinums just a different flight.

Balls would land on greens and not even move. Just flopped down. This made for very good carry on my driver but made for some weird iron shots.

I did notice durability wasn't the best ever but not really awful either. Just nothing to write home about.

Feel on full shots was again very good.

My initial one round and one chip and putt reaction: lower spinning, higher launch, less bite than a Tour Platinum, but feels really good.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

First off, thank you to GolfWRX and TaylorMade for the opportunity to review this ball.

Current Golf Ball: Nike Golf RZN Tour Black

Current Driver: TaylorMade 2017 M1

Driver SS: 102mph

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport

Initial impressions: Initially the ball looks the same as many general golf balls just with updated graphics. Dimple pattern looks fairly the same as previous TaylorMade golf balls.

Feel: The ball feels really good off various golf clubs. The ball doesn't feel too soft or too firm, there's a great balance of firm/soft across the ball. I notice the ball feel slightly softer off my putter, but that could be the insert in my Scotty Cameron.

Performance:

• Driver: I think is where the ball shines. With the new technologies found within the golf ball, I'm noticeably seeing some distance gains. The ball seems to stay in the air longer and takes a higher flight. I'm seeing about 10 yards further off the tee with my driver (this is compared with the Nike RZN Tour Black). Still feels pretty firm/soft when striking the ball with driver.

• Irons: With the irons, I'm noticing the flight of my shots a little higher then normal. It's giving me more stopping power on the greens with the higher ball flight. The feel changed slightly with a more softer feel when a strike with iron was hit.

• Around the Green: The new technologies of the golf ball really help stopping the ball with wedges around the green. There seems to be greater stopping power I'm seeing here with wedges. Feels pretty medium/firm with wedges.

• Putter: The ball feels pretty soft off my putter face, so I was having trouble with speed on the greens as I'm still adjusting to this ball. Feels great when you hit a solid put though!

• Durability:I was pretty impressed with the durability of the ball. After 9 holes, the ball was in almost near perfect condition. I did notice the urethane outer layer get scratched a little bit, and you can start to see a different color for the next layer, but I still played the ball and it performed the same way it did from the start.

Overall: Overall this ball is great for seeing distance gains, a slightly higher ball flight, and a slight increase in stopping power on the greens. I'm making it my new gamer!

Here's my unboxing and some shots with the ball:

[media=]

[/media]

3-3 Update

Before I begin my first round review, I'd like to describe myself and my game.

I'm a (almost) 30 year old former PGA apprentice who has been out of the golf business for the past half decade. Game has been harder to keep sharp with the addition of my second child two years ago. I have played in a few state-level amateur qualifiers and two state mid-ams the past few years but I rarely get a chance to practice or even get out to play more than once every two weeks. Handicap is still holding at a +1 at the moment.

Strength of my game is finding a way to get the ball in the hole even if it's not always pretty. I've been given nicknames of Word not allowed Doo and Hands McGee if that puts it into perspective. Driving accuracy is my biggest weakness with wedge play inside of 100 yards being a close second. Driver swing sits at 114-115 mph comfortably. 92-94 mph 6 iron. Moderate tempo and I've evolved from playing a 30 yard sling hook as an assistant pro to a straight-to-slight fade currently. I have played previous versions of TaylorMade balls including the LDP Red, Tour Preferred X and last years Tour Preferred. All of which I have enjoyed success with. Current ball is the 2017 Srixon Z Star XV.

Now on to the TP5x review.

This ball wants to flight high on normal swings. First tee shot today was into a 15 mph wind. It went 10-15 feet higher than normal but it wasn't a spinny balloon ball. The second shot really stood out to me. Wind was the same 15 mph but hurting from the left. I hit one more club thinking I could stretch it there. I hit a higher ball than I had planned on and the thing just went. TP5x looked like it did not get touched by the wind. I ended up about a club long on the back of the green. This continued throughout the day.

Around the green the TP5x performed just as a tour level ball should. Flop shots, low spinners, and normal pitches all reacted like I needed them to. Feel is solid around the greens.

Feel off the putter was soft but solid. Not mushy at all. I had pretty good speed control all day including a two putt from 80+ feet where I rolled the first putt inside of 3 feet.

Durability was also good. I played one ball all the way until 18 where I lost it going for the green in two. No major scuffs or scratches. I could have played that same ball for another 18 if I hadn't lost it.

All in all this has a really good chance of being my gamer this year. I have 5 qualifiers scheduled for this year so I'll be figuring out the fight between the TP5x and the Z Star XV fairly soon so I can get everything dialed in. First round gives the early lead to the TP5x.

Thank you to TaylorMade and GolfWRX for the opportunity to test this ball out! I'll be updating this post as I get more rounds under my belt.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 16.5* Fujikura Ventus Blue 8x

Srixon ZX 20* KBS Prototype 95x

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Mizuno T22 50* 55* 60* DG TI S400

Yes! Tracy

Titleist ProV1

About Me:

• 0.9 Handicap
  • Titleist 915 D3 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 60X
  • 109 mph Driver Swing Speed with Smooth Transition
  • Play the Previous Generation PRO-V1X​
  • Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g
  • Strengths - Around the Greens
  • Weaknesses - Driver off the Tee

--TP5X--

Thank you TaylorMade and GolfWRX for giving me the opportunity to test out these brand new balls! I expected a sleeve or two, but a dozen?!

First Impression:

• Right off the bat, I noticed the shiny cover. It's really shiny! I usually associate SHINY covers with cheaper balls.
  • The script (Taylormade) always looked appealing to me, so that is a plus.
  • Big dimples! Going from PRO-V1 to PRO-V1X, I noticed bigger dimples. TP5X dimples are HUGE! They must fly far!
  • What is with the seam? Are we in 2005? Seamless technology has been used for a decade now. Lets get with it!

Putting:

• The TP5X off the putter is a bit clicky.
  • From being a PRO-V1 user switching to a PRO-V1X when the last model changed was hard because of the feel around the greens.
  • Going from PRO-V1X to TP5X seems like the same switch. Feels almost like Callaway balls used to feel in the HX-Tour days.
  • I draw a line on my balls, so alignment was no problem and almost easier with the narrow lines before and after the TP5X script.

Around the Greens:

• Surprisingly, the clickyness did not carry over to the wedges too much.
  • High lobs land soft.
  • Low chips check up.
  • Normal pitches release predictably.
  • Nothing out of the ordinary if coming from a PRO-V1X.

Irons:

• This is where you can tell the difference in ball flight compared to the PRO-V1X
  • The balls definitely fly higher as advertised.
  • Higher ball flight equates to longer carry (unless you're already ballooning it)
  • I couldn't figure out my distances because I was carrying everything 10-15 yards longer (8i-180, 4i-220 and that's without delofted irons)
  • Feel was good. Very comparable to PRO-V1X.

Off the Tee:

• This is where this ball shines! Right off the bat, on the first tee, launched one longer on the opening hole than I've ever hit it 330 yards on a 380 yard par4. I've never had anything less than 90 yards to the pin left on the approach before.
  • I've always searched for a higher ball flight for my driver and never thought I could get it with a ball switch.
  • I've consistently hit my driver 20-30 yards longer than I've hit my PRO-V1X's.
  • Feel on the face is again comparable to PRO-V1X.

In the Wind:

• Toward the afternoon, the wind picked up. The ball seems to fly through the wind without being affected too much by it.
  • A long par3 came up and this is where the real test was. 210 yards to the pin with cross/into slightly wind came into play. I hit a 205 yard (4i) shot that flew through the wind an landed past pin high and released to the fringe PAST the hole!! I just couldn't believe it.
  • Wind is not a factor for this ball.

Durability:

• Cover seems a lot more durable than what I play.
  • From the looks of one round, it looks like I could use it for around 2-3 rounds per ball compared to 1-2 rounds with the PRO-V1X.
  • Didn't hit any trees or cart paths this time to say how much damage it can take.

--TP5--

Thank you again TaylorMade for having a driver fitting the day I was going to test these balls out and also giving me a small box (5 balls) of TP5's for me to try out as well.

Differences:

• Softer feel and wasn't as clicky as the X's.
  • Trajectory was a tad lower on iron and driver hits with slightly less carry and less roll.
  • Felt softer around the greens. More of a drop and stop with most pitch shots.
  • Comparable to PRO-V1's.

Verdict:

• Great ball!
  • Need time to adjust for the new distance gaps you'll have.
  • Durable to last you a few more rounds which effectively drops price.
  • Needs to go seamless and will be the perfect ball.
  • Will try the new PRO-V1 model balls out but most likely switch to TP5X after an upcoming tournament.

Played my first round with this ball today in a tournament, the TP5X. I came from playing the tour preferred X.

Distance so far seems the same as the TPX

Trajectory seemed a touch higher than TPX

Feel seems similar to the TPX

Spin seems to be a little less than TPX

Into the wind the ball seems to hold the line better. Seems to cut thru the wind.

Chipping, I feel like i lost a few RPMs on this. Balls seemed to roll a little more.

Putting, I seemed to not make as many. Probably because I putted poorly tho.

Durability was great. Used 1 ball for the entire round and it still looks to be in good shape.

All in all i think the ball is better in wind, but not lightyears better than the predecessor. 1 thing I didnt like is that i like to mark a line on the ball, usually over the name of the ball, but the TP5X logo is so big it makes it look funny.

Will continue to evaluate as I can easily put this in the bag as an upgrade to the TPX.

Placeholder. I will be taking these to Vegas for March Madness. Playing Chimera, Reflection Bay and Revere. Thx WRX!

**WITB** **Driver**: Titleist TS2 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Elite Orange S **3 Wood**: Adams Idea XTD 15* Super S Hybrid w/ Fubuki AX350 S **Utility**: Titleist 818H2 19* and 23* w/ Fujikura Motore TS HB 8.8 **5-PW**: Titleist AP3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lites **WEDGES**: Titleist Vokey SM7 52* and 56* **PUTTER**: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 w/ Superstroke

TP5

Just a quick update, I was sent the TP5. Current ball is the Pro V1. I'm a 3-6 handicap, usually play closer to a 3 in the summer and goes up in the winter when I don't get to practice much.

Feel: TP5 are very soft feeling balls, very soft to the touch. They have a very good feel off the putter.

Around the greens:

I have been able to chip several times with these around the greens. Directly comparing these to my gamers the Pro V1. Personally could not tell the difference is short chips or pitches around the greens, up to 30 yards. The pro V1 may have had a tad bit more spin, but its not a large amount of difference. When I placed them where I could not see the logos it was really hard to tell them apart the feel and action seemed very similar.

Irons and Driver:

Going to do some testing with skytrak and hopefully trackman later this week.

On course it was very similar to my current ball. In the wind it performed very well.

Testing:

Attached some images below of my testing on skytrak. 7 iron and PW ball speed was better with TP5. Short shots of 30 yards spin was less with TP5.

Overall:

Still doing some testing, but this is by far the best TM ball I have played. Looking forward to playing it some more

PS: Anyone else get 1,2,3,and 5's for numbers? Don't know if this was intentional or not.

Excited to test these out. Thanks TM and Golfwrx

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Already got a sneak preview of this ball!! Looking forward to to officially testing for GolfWRX members for the first time! Thank you!

[url="http://www.instagram.com/bryangolf"]Follow me on Instagram -->[/url] [url="http://www.instagram.com/bryangolf"]@bryangolf[/url]

TaylorMade M2 9.5* w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade M2 18* w/Graphite Design AD-DI 8X[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PXG 0311 54[/font][/color]* [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]w/DGTI S400[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade Spider Tour Red[/font][/color]

I'm on the West Coast and received my TP5x Wednesday. I'll be playing in the next couple of days and updating with first impressions.

Played two rounds with the TP5x this weekend. First, the ball looks great. I like the branding and color. Second, the ball feels great. Very good off the driver, the putter and everything in between.

This ball performs everywhere except where I need it to perform most. It is fantastic off the driver and the irons, no problems at all with trajectory control or distance control. The ball is a bit longer than the Tour Preferred I've been using. It's also great on full wedge shots, easy to flight down and spin control is acceptable. Where the ball did not perform for me was around the greens. It just does not spin enough on the shorter shots. It doesn't feel hard or clicky, but it simply doesn't spin enough.

As an example I had a 40 yard pitch shot from the fairway. I hit a nice, crisp, low checker that should have bounced once, checked a bit then run another 10 feet or so. I landed it 30 feet short of the pin and it rolled off the back. A couple other shots that I felt should have stopped faster than they did.

This is the same issue I had with the Tour Preferred X and why I started playing the Tour Preferred, which I like a lot. If the TP5 feels as good as the TP5x and performs like the Tour Preferred, I'll play it.

I played 9 holes and gamed the TP5x today, but is too windy and my review is very limited. I went to the course today to check and find out what it does on the wind. And boy this bad boy ride and held up the wind pretty well and the wind is very little affect on flight.

I hit my driver only twice but the distance is there and I think i will pickup more yards when i play again on a normal condition. I have not get a chance to compare it to my current gamer which is the ksig, But I notice the trajectory is a little high compare to my natural trajectory with ksig.

On irons great feel maybe pick up 2 or 3 yards, probably because of the high launch and low spin characteristics of the ball.

On putter is the same feel, same pure roll and same click sound on my Titleist Bullseye.

On wedges, plenty of stopping power, I have one hole out, a 79 yards quarter swing 58 wedge that landed a few feet past the hole and back spin for an eagle. :)

I can not wait for my next round, hopefully i can compare and hit it side by side with my current gamer.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

UPDATE 3/8 Balls showed up today!!!

Ended up getting sent the TP5 ball due to my responses. Gonna get out and play 18 today to see how they perform.

UPDATE 3/10

Got in 18 at a course I've been playing a bit recently, so I know the yardages and how shots play. Due to crazy amounts of rain this winter, the course is playable, but still not getting any roll on the fairway despite a week of dry weather, so the course is playing all of its 6700 yards from the blues. Despite the receptive fairways, it was a sweet day out there with no wind and about 68* and sunny.

About me...

Current 10 handicap (mainly due to short game ineptitude rather than ball striking). Driver SS 105 ~ 110 mph. Ball flight is right to left and a medium to high trajectory. 2016 gamer ball was the Chrome Soft and the 2017 gamer ball (at the moment) is the new Srixon Z Star XV.

Initial Impressions

Good looking packaging consistent with their branding colors. Was surprised to find the balls numbered 1, 2, 3 and 5, as many of you have also found. Unfortunately, I"m not a big fan of seeing numbers higher than 4 on golf balls, so those #5 balls might not get tested by me.

Distance off Tee

I found the TP5 to be average off the tee. That is not any longer or shorter than other similarly constructed balls. I did notice a couple of drives that were higher than I am used to seeing, but it carried just as far as where I last played my Z Star XV in previous rounds. Overall good distance off the tee, but it feels a bit soft off the driver. Not a bad thing, but I kind of like the crisper feel of the XV at the moment, since it's a more satisfying strike than what I get with the softer balls.

Full Iron Shots

I look forward to doing more testing, but I did notice that the ball goes higher with irons than other balls I have played recently. Since it was a windless day, it was no problem, but it would be interesting to see how they would play into a stiff wind. Distance wise, I really can't say if they were longer than other balls, but I did notice that I was generally pin high or longer rather than my usual miss of shorter. As I said, looking forward to testing it more to see if it's really longer with the irons.

Spin/Feel

The TP5 is a good spinning golf ball for full shots and chips as well. I had a couple of full shots back up on the greens, which is not usual for me, as I am more of a hop and stop guy. The ball was responsive around the greens and again provided plenty of spin when struck well. Again, feel is softer, but not unpleasant.

Putting

As you can see by the name, not my strongest part of my overall game, but working hard to get better this year. Found theTP5 to be similar in feel to the regular 2017 Z Star. Not as soft as the Chrome Soft, but not hard by any means. Again, the clicky hardness of the Z Star XV appeals more to me than the TP5. It's not at all a mushy feel that one gets from lower compression balls, but it lacked a bit of feel, for sure. Again, probably need to test more and get familiar with the ball.

Durability

This is where the TP shines. I played most of the round with one ball and it's fine. I didn't hit any cart paths, but did encounter a couple of trees and there was nothing that compromised its aerodynamic integrity. I also hit a couple of crisp wedges that had a lot of spin and no fish scaling at all. Compared to the Z Star XV, the TP5 looks new after the same number of holes. I'm not sure why, but the XV seems to discolor more easily.

Summary

It's a very good golf ball in a market flooded with very good golf balls. Other than durability, it didn't particularly stand out in any category, but I am open to testing it further, as well as trying the TP5x ball. I think it will be interesting to see how the ball spins in drier conditions, especially off the driver and mid to long irons. Also looking forward to seeing how it reacts in the wind.

Big thanks to Taylor Made and GolfWRX for the opportunity to test the balls!

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

Was extremely surprised to get home last night to find a package on the front porch. I had limited time last night, but here are some initial 6 iron test with the TP5x, Pro V1x (previous generation), and the Z Star XV (previous generation). The 6 iron being used is a Srixon Z745. Data gathered with GC2 in my sim room off of a mat. TGC rounds VLA and HLA to the nearest number. Not ideal, but still gives you a good idea on launch. Will update with more data with other balls in the coming days. Also will put the ball in play this weekend. Here is the 1st set of data.

For reference sake, I'm around a 102-103 mph swing speed and 153 mph ball speed kind of guy with the driver.

3/9/17 Update

Here are some 7 iron numbers against the 2014 B330 and the 2017 XV. I'm swinging the club really poorly at the moment, but I picked 3 of the best shots from each ball. I've since played 2 rounds with this ball as well and I'm really liking it. It's long off the tee as you'd expect, but I'm finding it really shines with the irons. My club has bent greens that are on the softer side, so a ball that is lower spinning off the irons is something I'm really looking for. This ball fits perfectly in to that void without being a rock around the greens. This ball is not going to grab like a Pro V around the greens, it does tend to roll out a bit more for me. But like I mentioned, a little bit of roll out is what I'm needing. The ball feels a little clickier to me off the irons than I prefer, but it's something I can get use to. It feels perfect off the putter. I don't like for my ball to feel like a marsh mellow on the greens, this ball has a nice middle ground feel to it.

2nd round of data from GC2 below.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS3/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

I was going to write this review after the first round with this ball, but I had to hold off. I have seen so many reviews on this forum where someone is so excited to have actually won a contest or a chance to review that they give a glowing review of a product that 2 months down the road is nowhere near being in their bag.

I have now played 8 round with these golf balls and feel I am ready to give a very objective review.

I received the TP5X ball and here is my review.

When I test a ball to put in play I test it from the hole backwards. The primary thing that the ball needs to do for me is feel good off of the putter. I use a Directed Force putter and prefer a soft feel from the putter face. The best combination I have ever felt was my Scotty Cameron TEi3 Santa Fe with the Titleist Tour Balata 90. So, I like a soft feeling golf ball.

The TP5x golf ball feels great off of the putter. It is soft “ish.” The closest I could relate it to in today’s golf balls is the Srixon Z Star. It feels very good. So, on to the chipping.

In chipping I like a ball to check minimally and release consistently to the hole. My short game philosophy is very similar to Paul Runyan. I like to get the ball on the ground. That being said, the ball also needs to be able to check quickly when I attempt that shot. This ball hit the nail on the head with the first portion. It is very consistent with the low bump and run. Not once did it check up too much. On the flip side, or should I day flop side, it did lack a little bit when attempting to hit the high spin shot. It consistently ran out about 8-10 feet further than I would like. This is not a deal breaker for me though.

On to the irons. This ball feels great off of the irons and responds as expected on the greens. I do not like a ball that backs up consistently. I like a hop and stop kind of ball or a ball that stays within 10 feet of where it lands. Even with a 3 iron, this ball landed and held greens with no issues. As far as distance goes, it is a half club longer than my Vice Pro Plus with the exception of long irons off the tee. This thing is very long off the tee with long irons. I would say I am at least 10 yards longer with a 3 iron off the tee than I am with the Vice Pro Plus. This ball checks every box with the irons.

Onto the woods/driver. As with the long irons off the tee, this thing is a bit longer than with my Pro Plus. Where I really notice a huge difference is when I am playing in a cross wind. This thing does not move. The ball is very straight in the wind. I do not notice any type of trajectory change with this golf ball. I can tell you though that if you tee this thing up and hit a nice high ball, it will go. I hit a couple of downwind shots with this vs. the pro plus and the TP5X was 15+ yards past it.

Overall, this is the first TaylorMade ball I have liked since the original TP Red LDP. Is it good enough to change from my Vice Pro Plus??? Probably not at the current price point. If I can buy then at $35 a dozen, then absolutely.

I would like to thank TaylorMade and GolfWRX for the opportunity to review this great and exciting new product.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

About me: nearing the age of 55, driver clubhead speed right around 100; was closer to 105 a while ago. In my younger years I was a decent player, as low as a +2, 1992 USGA Pub Links qualifier, varied success in numerous local, county, and state events. Marriage and children have taken priority and I'm now more of a 10 handicap weekend warrior...

I've played the TP5 twice now, one windy day and one windless day (today). As my game has dwindled I've moved away from premium balls, unless a real deal shows up (Still have a couple of doz Lethal from the Woot deal) and when playing premiums my fave is the B330s. I compared the TP5 against the B330S and the ProV1.

Off the driver I noticed little difference today. I played alone so hit all three balls on nearly every shot. In the wind, the TP5 is markedly different. Great into both a headwind and crosswind, where the ProV1 seemed to be the most affected of the three...

On full iron shots the TP5 seems to reach its apex much quicker, yet spins less, leading to almost a 1\2 club more distance for me, but also a little less control. I have no problem spinning back wedges and short irons with the B330S or the ProV1 but couldn't replicate it with the TP5. The TP5 always seemed to release more for me on both full shots and greenside shots, it just did not stop like I'm used to, and FWIW the way the Lethal does for me.

I also preferred the feel of the B330S. While not as firm and clicky as the ProV1 is for me, the TP5 is still just a tad firm for me, especially off the putter. I play strictly carbon steel putters (2 Byron's and a Slighter) because I need that soft feel, almost a mushiness..previous TM balls like the lethal, Burner LDP TP,and TP Red gave me that feel. The lethal continues to be my favorite TM ball ever.

I was pleasantly surprised at the durability of the TP5. I was determined to make it through 18 holes with the same ball today but with the winter we've had in CA many courses haven't yet cut down the rough. I lost 2 of them not more than 10 feet off the fairway today

The ball I posted in the pic I played the last 5 holes with and the small scuff shown was the only mark on it.

Ultimately the TP5 is not a great fit for me as I need a softer feel and a half tad more spin. I think a player that likes a firmer feel and needs to temper their spin to gain some control especially with the short irons and wedges will love this ball

Thanks Golfwrx and especially Taylormade for the opportunity to test them out. I'll certainly be playing the remainder of my dozen on windy days.....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Placeholder

Titleist 8.5* TS3 Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff
Titleist 15* TS2 3W Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff
Titleist 19* TS2 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 Stiff 
Callaway Apex 19 4-AW TT Elevate 95 Stiff
Cobra King Pur Wedge 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Cleveland CBX Wedge 60* TT 115g
 Odyssey V Line Arm Lock Putter

Congratulations! This is a great opportunity for each of you to compare this to your gamer. It will be really interesting to see everyone's results.

And please don't lose them all on the first day!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Thanks for the pick. Received TP5's today.

One dozen.

Played 9 holes yesterday, Dobson Ranch. 12 mph wind gusting to 17.

I mostly play a parkland style muni in the winter here, not really penal tee to green. Shot 3 over, scored well type of thing. Plays right at 6200 yrds.

Normal score for me would be anywhere from 78 to 82. I'm probably a 7 at home, add 3 if traveling.

Playing B330S right now. Three for two sale. I like sales.

I liked the ball. Really liked it. I would play it.

The highlights.....2 different approach shots from 104 on holes 1 and 2, 50* wedge, drop and stopped. Nice ball flight into at least a one club wind. Hit 4 of 6 fairways with driver, to much wind to judge the ball, but it didnt hurt me. Ball held its line. 220 yrd hybrid downwind, tried to move it right to left but it didnt budge, probably on me. Best hole was number 9, par 5. Downwind, lightest of the day. Nice drive, little longer then normal, but Ive been here before. Only drive I moved right to left. 4 wood, nice shot and a little right to left also. Lob wedge from 42, over a trap, drop and stopped. Made the 2 footer.

Maybe it was the first two gap wedge shots, but I had confidence with the ball almost immediately. It just felt right.

2 good chips, 2 sand saves and a couple of nice putts. Ball felt as good as anything I've played around the green.

9 holes and two trees and I have no problem teeing off with the same ball again, held up great. Normal for me is changing balls at the turn.

I got selected for something .... and nearly fell out of my office chair

Will be testing in Myrtle Beach next week and will report back

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just got the email that I was selected!!!! Very excited! (I never get picked for anything)

I'm about fed up with my 2015 Pro V1X with respect to iron spin (way too much spin), and REALLY need something to cut down on spin. Hoping like crazy they send me the TP5X! Sounds like what the Dr. ordered!!!! I have a tournament coming up in Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks... I'm hoping the TP5X is my gamer....we shall see!

Thanks TaylorMade & thanks GolfWRX!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST REVIEW:

Played 18 yesterday morning in my normal club dogfight. Conditions were cold (40 F and breezy) and soft, course from our tees is 6700 with a 139 slope, and is very demanding off the tee. I've been dealing with a sore lower back (past two weeks) and don't reallly feel like I'm striking the ball very well (with irons) these days, so I'm not really playing to my handicap.

Putter: The TP5X is a great feeling ball off the putter, similar, but maybe a hair softer than my 2015 ProV1x current gamer. Very nice, and I had no issues with lag putting, which I seem to do with balls that aren't close to the V1x.

Off the tee: This ball launches SIGNIFICANTLY higher than a V1x, or even the 2016 TPX. Woods (especially the 3W) were flying much higher than normal, but weren't any shorter than normal, and in some instances were longer than normal. I can't really comment on true distance because of the conditions, and my back. I was also trying out a new driver....

Irons: Also higher launching, but held their lines great, and didn't really balloon or anything. I think there will be a little pickup in distance off my mid and long irons. There were several holes where the wind was dead into me and I played my normal club up (or two) and wound up over the greens. This was pretty awesome (missing the green wasn't, but how I did it was) because these balls were definitely spinning less off the irons, and just boring through the wind, which is what I've been desperately searching for.

Wedges: The TP5X seemed fine off the wedges, similar spin to the V1x from what I could tell, but I'll need to play with it more to confirm. My wedge game wasn't great yesterday, pretty poor really, so I don't feel like I can really judge the ball based on how I played with full wedges.

Chipping: Good feel, hair less spin that V1x

Other observations: The ball was very durable, I played one ball up until I lost it on 12 (still looked great, other than my sharpie marks had faded), played the rest of the round with a second TP5X and it looks almost new. One thing I DO NOT like is the actual TP5X logo, the font is too big, and the alignment marks are too small/faint. I don't like drawing sharpie lines on my balls for alignment aids, and the mark on the TP5X is unusable IMO... I prefer the logo on the 2016 TPX and the V1x much much better. The mark on the Titleist Pro V1x is the best there is in size/shape/usability in my opinion.

TP5X seems like a great ball so far, and will probably wind up being my gamer. I can't wait until my back is healed up a little and it gets a little warmer to really give it a fair shake.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5