Modern Golf - Mississauga

Hello everyone, my name is Jamie. This is my 1st post on the forum. This is a gr8 site in every way, very informative. My post is going to outline my experience; thus far, with my club fitting at Modern Golf.

I went for a full bag fitting yesterday, Thur, Mar.2nd. The fitter that I had the pleasure of working with is John Sawatsky. John was very patient and explained everything in great detail. First thing Modern Golf did was welcome my wife Barb and I. Then they "blue printed" all of my clubs, 2 full sets of irons, 2 drivers, and 3 fairway woods. I should also state that my driver swing speed is apx. 90/95mph avg. and that my tempo; as described by John and everyone I know, is smooth. Avg. drive is 245-250 total, on the course yards. My main goal of this fitting was to obtain a higher ball flight, to maximize my carry distances.

The fitting started with my irons. I brought 2 sets of irons with me, Mizuno MX-1000, with Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue graphite shafts in reg. flex and Ping i25, with CFS steel shafts in reg. flex. Since my irons are no longer available John had me hit the new Ping i200, and we tried some aftermarket shafts until we found "the one". The Ping i200's, with the Fujikura Pro 95i stiff flex graphite shafts, were amazing, buttery soft, smooth and beautiful. So, I am purchasing the Fujikura graphite for my Mizuno irons. The iron lofts will also be bent apx. 2* weak, since the stock lofts are very strong. This portion of the fitting took a long time, probably because of me. Next up was the driver.

My current driver is the Titleist 913D2 @ 10.5* with a Diamana +Plus Blue 62 in a Reg. flex . I love the look and feel of the driver, but I have the same problem as with my irons, a low ball flight, and also my miss is a hook/draw. I was willing to purchase a whole new driver so we didn't just try new shafts in my 913D2. I hit my driver and we got some base #'s.Then we started with the Callaway Epic @ 13.5*, with the sliding weight set to full fade position. I really wanted this one to work because I was initially drawn towards it. Although the carry and total #'s were a nice step up from my 913D2, the dispersion was not very good. Next was the TM M2 @ 12.0*. The distance #'s were in between the 913D2 and the Epic, but the dispersion was great. Typically a slight fade which is what I'm after. My hook miss is a "3 off the tee" most times, so a soft fade will be welcome. Long story short, I ended up with the TM M2 with an Accra Fx 150 M3 (M3 being a regular flex shaft I believe). John discounted the shaft 15% because he originally quoted me the incorrect price. I thought that was a nice gesture. Now on to the putter.

My putting is not up to par, so they say. Admittedly it's somewhat due to my low confidence. My current putter is an Odyssey Pro Type Black 2 Ball. I started the putter fitting by sinking 3-4 in a row from 7 feet, laughing as I did so, on the regular putting green. So then John took me up to the Quintic Ball Roll putting system. This was by far the most eye opening part of the fitting. With my Odyssey the ball launched at 5+* and had negative spin. Where as I believe John said that launch should be 1-2* (I could be wrong) with the ball starting with forward spin. Not sure if I am relaying the proper #'s to you but when John played the video recording back to me, what he said made sense. in order to get my Odysssey to launch correctly, John had me do a huge forward press to de-loft the putter. This worked but I would not be able to do this on every putt. He then put a Bobby Grace in my hands (I can't remember the model) and what he said would happen, happened, exactly. John definitely knows his stuff. At. this point my 4hr time slot was up.

So although my time was up; John scheduled me to come back and finish the putter and fairway woods, at no extra cost. That is customer service in my books.

Although I am best described as a typical hacker I'm prob. a 15-18 hcp, and I have the potential to shoot par (I shot a 73 at Royal Niagara), or shoot 100, I believe that this was a very good investment. It seems as though the TM M2 driver is going to work great. That alone is almost worth the cost of the fitting. If John gets my putter sorted out then the cost is definitely justified. I am like the avg. golfer. I buy a new driver and/or a new set of irons every 2-3 years and admittedly don't buy the proper one most of the time. So I believe the cost is justified. Many of you will say "just go to Golf Town" etc. That's fine if you get a very knowledgeable employee (John said he worked there a long time ago). And if you're lucky enough to get a good fitter, remember that Golf Town now charges $50 for a fitting.

I'm not here to argue this or that, I just wanted to give a shout out to John and everyone at Modern Golf !!!!!!!!!! They did a great job with me thus far. And of course now, my wife has scheduled a full bag fitting.

Jamie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda odd your first post would be a long testimonial of a very specific fitting experience, and in Mississauga, only Ontario Canadians would know.

I smell self promotion. I've been to that establishment too. Overpriced, ridiculous upcharges and they got my wedge specs so severely off once I thought it was a joke. No doubt they offer something unique and techy, all the best clubmaking equipment/lab. But I'm not thrilled with their overall experience. They do well because they have no competition in the area. It's a boutique golf store for the super privileged, you won't see many everyday folk going there for club work.

I used to be after bottom line savings on equipment but as the years went by I started to put a premium on service and I can relate to OP's post. I get all my stuff from Modern Golf Vancouver now from Andy and he's treated me exceptionally well. To be fair, the prices are not the lowest, but they go out of their way to accommodate me and do offer other things to make up for the price disparity. I wouldn't hesitate and recommend to anyone looking for more knowledge on the tech side and how the numbers work.

In the past I just played what I felt was good for me and what I like. After being fit and purchasing what I was fit for I am playing much better/consistent golf and couldn't be more elated. I've never been pressured to purchase anything from them either. I always was given my fitting + prescription and didn't get a sense of dissatisfaction if I chose to purchase elsewhere as I purchased half my fitting from another source due to huge difference in price and the other half from Modern themselves because I felt all factors were acceptable.

FWIW I am a manager for a luxury automaker so I put a premium on service and customer experience.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Sorry Bear, that you had a bad experience and had to share by making an accusation against the OP.

Modern is a very nice facility, the people are knowledgeable from all that I've heard and you are actually the first I've heard indicate having had a bad experience.

There is competition in the area, Oakville Golf is one off the top of my head and it is only 15 minutes away from Modern.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but let's not denigrate the OP or his experience because of it.

OP,

great post. I am a fitter but currently I'm extremely limited in what I can provide. Your post allows me to give those who need a more complete experience, an option I'd forgotten about.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Kinda odd your first post would be a long testimonial of a very specific fitting experience, and in Mississauga, only Ontario Canadians would know.

I smell self promotion. I've been to that establishment too. Overpriced, ridiculous upcharges and they got my wedge specs so severely off once I thought it was a joke. No doubt they offer something unique and techy, all the best clubmaking equipment/lab. But I'm not thrilled with their overall experience. They do well because they have no competition in the area. It's a boutique golf store for the super privileged, you won't see many everyday folk going there for club work.

OK, not sure how to respond to that. Other than I am no way affiliated with Modern Golf.

Perhaps you work for a competitor of Modern Golf ? Considering the nice things you have to say about them.

Thanks for your very polite words. A true gentleman.

Jamie

I got my set at modern golf vancouver and Andy was my fitter.

They have good service and very knowledgeable of their stuff

It is very expensive, I got my set for like 5700 (just for irons and driver)

for me it was worth it, I learned more about optimal data for my game. I got a new set of irons recently w the spec I got from modern golf.

If you have the money, why wouldn't u want to get fit like a tour pro?

I got my set at modern golf vancouver and Andy was my fitter.

They have good service and very knowledgeable of their stuff

It is very expensive, I got my set for like 5700 (just for irons and driver)

for me it was worth it, I learned more about optimal data for my game. I got a new set of irons recently w the spec I got from modern golf.

If you have the money, why wouldn't u want to get fit like a tour pro?

I have to know, what did you end up with for 5700?

• 2 weeks later...

i recently just did a driver fitting with john from Modern Golf in TO. I can fully echo OP's assement the place is top notch and john really knows his stuff.

TS3 8.5 - evenflow white 6.5 
915F 15 - Rogue x
Titleist H2 21- tensi pro white 
712U 4i DG tour x100
718 ap2 5-PW DG tour x100
SM7 52F 56S 60M DG tour s400
Scotty Cameron special select 2 - 34 

• 2 years later...

Any more recent experiences? Do they push you hard on being the clubmaker as well, or will they give you the specs to take to your pro shop? I'm out of town, so frankly I'd rather have the information, take it to my pro to have the set made, so that if there are issues, I have an easy way to get them addressed.

• 5 months later...