Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04justincredible04 Justincase1004Members Posts: 2,204
I'm intrigued but the Dustin Johnson/Jason day putters. I'm on TMs website and they have four choices. Spider tour black, spider Tour red, spider limited red, and spider tour platinum.



I'm kind of confused by the descriptions. Other than the sight line and the offset/shaft are they all the same head?



Is the DJ version the more coveted version?



It says Day plays the same version as DJ but it's red....then the limited red which is a completely different putter is inspired by Day?



Can someone clear these up? I think I'm gonna end up searching for the black DJ version
«13456759

Comments

  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,745 ✭✭
    The red and the black have different inserts. The DJ model has the firmer insert, the JD has the softer insert.



    The silver one has the double bend shaft



    The limited red is the double bend shaft with a sight line
    Taylormade M6 9.0 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Taylormade M5 rocket 14* Tensei Pro orange 80tx 
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
  • jtcskr227jtcskr227 Members Posts: 6
    edited Mar 4, 2017 #3
    The heads are all the same physical size from what I can tell. Weighting and inserts are slightly different along with the shafts, and grips



    Tour Black - 355g head with toe hang and firmer insert than red

    Tour Red - 355g head with toe hang and softer insert than black



    Tour Platinum - 360g head and face balanced with pure roll insert

    Tour Limited Red - same as Platinum

    Limited 2016 - same as Platinum





    I just picked up the Tour Platinum today.It took me while to figure out all the differences and could not make up my mind on what to go with. I really wanted to like the the tour black/red but i did not like aligning with it as it twists and does not stay square when placed next to ball. They all are pretty sweet. The best thing to do is go and try them all out as the subtle differences are quite noticeable.
  • justincredible04justincredible04 Justincase1004 Members Posts: 2,204
    jtcskr227 wrote:
    The heads are all the same physical size from what I can tell. Weighting and inserts are slightly different along with the shafts, and grips



    Tour Black - 355g head with toe hang and firmer insert than red

    Tour Red - 355g head with toe hang and softer insert than black



    Tour Platinum - 360g head and face balanced with pure roll insert

    Tour Limited Red - same as Platinum

    Limited 2016 - same as Platinum





    I just picked up the Tour Platinum today.It took me while to figure out all the differences and could not make up my mind on what to go with. I really wanted to like the the tour black/red but i did not like aligning with it as it twists and does not stay square when placed next to ball. They all are pretty sweet. The best thing to do is go and try them all out as the subtle differences are quite noticeable.




    Nice! Thank you. I thought because they were limited the stores wouldn't have one. I don't have a good place to demo putters but I'll go look. I've only used blades so it might be the black/red for me. I was hoping to score a platinum maybe with a military discount but might have to look elsewhere
  • ryant0220ryant0220 Members Posts: 170
    Also, the JD and DJ models have removeable weights, not just black decorative plugs.
  • nicholasriehlnicholasriehl Nick R. Hershey, PAMembers Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?
    • PING G400 LST 10* --- HZRDUS Black 65-6.0
    • PING G400 16.9* Fairway --- HZRDUS Yellow 75-6.0
    • Callaway Epic 20* Hybrid --- HZRDUS Black 85-6.0
    • Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-PW --- Modus 120-S
    • Cleveland CBX 50* and 56* --- Modus 120-S
    • PING Eye2 Gorge LW --- Modus 120-S
    • PING Pickemup B --- 35" Counterbalanced Conversion
  • UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1 Members Posts: 5,628 ✭✭


    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    Isn't it listed on the the TM website under specs? 38 degrees I believe
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost ClubWRX Posts: 1,477 ClubWRX


    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1431614-spider-tour-black-reviews/#entry15048518



    There's an image of the toe hang.
    Instagram: @z.buck
    Callaway GBB Epic - 10.5° / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 X
    Titleist 915F - 21° / Graphite Design AD-DJ 7 X
    Titleist 818 H1 - 23° / HZRDUS Black 85 X
    Srixon Z745 5-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 - 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind - 60° / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Odyssey Tour Issue WHP #7 (Pro X Insert)
  • jtcskr227jtcskr227 Members Posts: 6
    I didn't realize the weights were not removable in the platinum. Maybe would have changed my mind and went with the used 2016 model they had. Does anyone know if the 2016 black with red wings had removable weights?
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur Members Posts: 200 ✭✭
    I have the OS CB Spider, it was 36" when got and had the counterbalance grip

    But I had it cut to 34 and added the SS Flatso 2.0 and it has surprised me how a big space ship

    Looking putter can be such a great putter. I recently tried to fall in love with the Ping

    Sigma G Tyne even set up sane and I took it back, hard to beat that TM
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • djallen0djallen0 Members Posts: 201
    Always felt like the putter face on spiders was one of the best at setting up flush to the ball. Never felt like it was too open like some mallets can get -- hope the same is true for the tour edition.
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost ClubWRX Posts: 1,477 ClubWRX
    jtcskr227 wrote:


    I didn't realize the weights were not removable in the platinum. Maybe would have changed my mind and went with the used 2016 model they had. Does anyone know if the 2016 black with red wings had removable weights?




    Black with red wings also only had black plastic, not removable weights.
    Instagram: @z.buck
    Callaway GBB Epic - 10.5° / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 X
    Titleist 915F - 21° / Graphite Design AD-DJ 7 X
    Titleist 818 H1 - 23° / HZRDUS Black 85 X
    Srixon Z745 5-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 - 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind - 60° / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Odyssey Tour Issue WHP #7 (Pro X Insert)
  • mcc0819mcc0819 Members Posts: 594 ✭✭
    JerryTBall wrote:
    I have the OS CB Spider, it was 36" when got and had the counterbalance grip

    But I had it cut to 34 and added the SS Flatso 2.0 and it has surprised me how a big space ship

    Looking putter can be such a great putter. I recently tried to fall in love with the Ping

    Sigma G Tyne even set up sane and I took it back, hard to beat that TM




    I'm in the same boat. I have the tyne and am just too inconsistent with it. Obviously, you like the spider better, but what exactly made the spider a better fit for you? Better feel, setup or roll? I still have 30 days to return the tyne lol
    Ping G400 LST AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Rogue 3w HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5
    Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5
    Ping i200 4-pw DG X100
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works 1w

  • redandwhiteandblueredandwhiteandblue Members Posts: 191


    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    I would guess that they are 3/4 toe hang
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost ClubWRX Posts: 1,477 ClubWRX



    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    I would guess that they are 3/4 toe hang




    No, it's 38 degrees of toe hang which is in between face balanced and 1/4.
    Instagram: @z.buck
    Callaway GBB Epic - 10.5° / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 X
    Titleist 915F - 21° / Graphite Design AD-DJ 7 X
    Titleist 818 H1 - 23° / HZRDUS Black 85 X
    Srixon Z745 5-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 - 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind - 60° / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Odyssey Tour Issue WHP #7 (Pro X Insert)
  • Soupy1994Soupy1994 Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    ZBUCK wrote:




    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    I would guess that they are 3/4 toe hang




    No, it's 38 degrees of toe hang which is in between face balanced and 1/4.






    Has anyone tested the red vs. the black? I am looking for answers regarding the feel of the different inserts. I see the red one is more popular on tour. Unfortunately I am not in a position to test either models given my location. All information comparing the two inserts is greatly appreciated.



    Thanks
  • Mikey TownMikey Town Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭
    Soupy1994 wrote:

    ZBUCK wrote:




    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    I would guess that they are 3/4 toe hang




    No, it's 38 degrees of toe hang which is in between face balanced and 1/4.






    Has anyone tested the red vs. the black? I am looking for answers regarding the feel of the different inserts. I see the red one is more popular on tour. Unfortunately I am not in a position to test either models given my location. All information comparing the two inserts is greatly appreciated.



    Thanks




    The red putter has a black "surlyn" (spelling?) insert, while the black has a silver "80/20" insert.



    The black putter definitely has a firmer feel than the red. Those who are chasing the "super soft feel" in a putter will usually like the red version better. Personally, I like putters that have a firm feel with plenty of feedback (big fan of sound slots for that reason). The black version does a much better job of that than most mallets I've tried. The black kind of feels like the metal x milled #7 did... not firm but not soft, but not dead either. All in all, the sound/feel is good... not great... but better than almost any other mallet I've tried. The red feels more like the white hot rx insert... maybe not quite that soft, but pretty close. Nice putter, but farther away from my preferences, so I liked the black one better.



    Please keep in mind that feel is completely subjective, so take all of this with a grain of salt. These are the opinions of a person whose gamer for the last year and a half has been a Stainless Steel Byron Morgan DH89, with very fine face milling and a sound slot (basically the opposite of what these putters represent).



    I did buy the black, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot for a couple rounds... but I don't know what I'm going to do with a putter that doesn't have a flange that I can scoop up the ball with!
    TaylorMade Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,496 ✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2017 #18
    Whatever the insert is and the feel there is a lot of this putters on tour right now. I saw a ton of pro's using them and they were all near the top of the leaderboard.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ericftericft Members Posts: 570 ✭✭
    Amazing that 3 of the top 4 finishers at the Wgc Mexico had a spider mallet putter! Amazing for taylormade, I am putting my DJ black version back into the bag. Going to buy a few extra weight sets to try and dial in the headweigt for our greens
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur Members Posts: 200 ✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2017 #20
    mcuba wrote:

    JerryTBall wrote:
    I have the OS CB Spider, it was 36" when got and had the counterbalance grip

    But I had it cut to 34 and added the SS Flatso 2.0 and it has surprised me how a big space ship

    Looking putter can be such a great putter. I recently tried to fall in love with the Ping

    Sigma G Tyne even set up sane and I took it back, hard to beat that TM




    I'm in the same boat. I have the tyne and am just too inconsistent with it. Obviously, you like the spider better, but what exactly made the spider a better fit for you? Better feel, setup or roll? I still have 30 days to return the tyne lol


    I find that the TM weight keeps head steady more and the dark and red center makes easier to stay inline doesn't seem to waver when taken back where sigma seems to wonder a bit, and the TM is heavier but great for any length putt. Plus the sound, I love that muffled sound I really never liked a tinny sound, the only other two putters I would go with in a pinch would be TM Monte Carlo OS CB or odessy two ball tank
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • MJisGOATMJisGOAT Members Posts: 4,586 ✭✭
    Mikey Town wrote:

    Soupy1994 wrote:

    ZBUCK wrote:




    Does anyone know the toe hang on the JDay and DJ putters are?




    I would guess that they are 3/4 toe hang




    No, it's 38 degrees of toe hang which is in between face balanced and 1/4.






    Has anyone tested the red vs. the black? I am looking for answers regarding the feel of the different inserts. I see the red one is more popular on tour. Unfortunately I am not in a position to test either models given my location. All information comparing the two inserts is greatly appreciated.



    Thanks




    The red putter has a black "surlyn" (spelling?) insert, while the black has a silver "80/20" insert.



    The black putter definitely has a firmer feel than the red. Those who are chasing the "super soft feel" in a putter will usually like the red version better. Personally, I like putters that have a firm feel with plenty of feedback (big fan of sound slots for that reason). The black version does a much better job of that than most mallets I've tried. The black kind of feels like the metal x milled #7 did... not firm but not soft, but not dead either. All in all, the sound/feel is good... not great... but better than almost any other mallet I've tried. The red feels more like the white hot rx insert... maybe not quite that soft, but pretty close. Nice putter, but farther away from my preferences, so I liked the black one better.



    Please keep in mind that feel is completely subjective, so take all of this with a grain of salt. These are the opinions of a person whose gamer for the last year and a half has been a Stainless Steel Byron Morgan DH89, with very fine face milling and a sound slot (basically the opposite of what these putters represent).



    I did buy the black, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot for a couple rounds... but I don't know what I'm going to do with a putter that doesn't have a flange that I can scoop up the ball with!




    Must be legit in order for you to even consider anything other than BM.
    Cali
    TailorMaid
    t****
    "inefficient and dead rear cavity design"
    @thereal#7
  • KingZKingZ Members Posts: 12
    I tried 4 models in store. The tour Red and Black and the Red and Black with sight lines. You can feel the firmer face on the tour black for sure but no sight line got into my head and I felt like I was turning the putter through my forward motion even though I wasn't (according to ball movement). I could see myself trying to compensate for the faux face turning if I didn't think about it just being in my head.



    The sight line version was much better looking next to the ball in relation to me keeping the face/stroke straight in my head. I went with the red limited, the superstroke is my prefered grip and the darker shaft looks so nice in contrast with the red. Rolling putts around my living room has been fun and I can't wait for warmer weather.
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,508 ✭✭
    Got a platinum coming in 33" and the SS 1.0, can't wait to give it a shot!
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

    WITB Link
  • gamecockgamecock Members Posts: 364
    Anyone received there spider tours? Taylormade charged me on Thursday afternoon, but I still have not received a shipping notification. Website said they were supposed to ship on the 3rd and I thought it would have shipped, since they went ahead and charged my card.
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5*
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 15*
    TaylorMade M2 Tour 3
    TaylorMade PSI Tour 4-PW
    TaylorMade EF 54 & 58 ATV
    Putter
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    I see different sole plates on the black DJ model. what is the history with these 2 sole plates?

    is that the only difference between the 2?

    confusing..
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    Here's my feedback from extensive testing...



    I putt immeasurably better with the slant neck models (Red & Black) vs the double bend (platinum)



    I really thought I would hate the firm insert in the Black Tour, but I ended up loving it



    The fact the the head sits slightly open at address when grounded actually ends up being a benefit for me. In order to square the putter face I have to rest it on the toe or slightly hover it and ever since I've done this I've noticed that I roll the ball better. I've since translated this into my driver game and it's worked as well.



    For me, the Black is almost automatic inside 10 feet and the only thing that's comparable is the Edel E-1



    I really like the feel of the head on the back stroke, even though it's so different from all of the Dale head blades I've used over the years



    I'd like to bag a Spider Tour Black going forward and then settle on a "project" Tei3 blade to have as a backup. I've never had a backup putter in my life, but I think it's a good option considering this would be only my second foray into mallet putters (it's been over 10 years since I last used one, but I just don't feel as comfortable over short putts as I used to)
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • Mikey TownMikey Town Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭
    MJisGOAT wrote:


    Must be legit in order for you to even consider anything other than BM.




    Trust me... The other putters aren't going anywhere!



    The last time I "experimented" it was with an MXM Versa #7. Good putter, but just not for me. On course was only so-so, and I had a tendency to pull putts (thinking that was because I had never used a face balanced putter). It lasted a few practice sessions and one round.



    I feel like this one has a better chance of sticking. The slant neck will work better with my stroke and the MOI is higher. I have the 8 gram weights in it right now, so the head is at 367 grams (closer to the 360-365 that I usually play). Feel is fine... and for a mallet, that's pretty good. I can live with "fine" in the feel dept. if there are noticeable gains in other aspects (mainly putts inside of 10').



    Also ordered 20 gram weights, which would take the head up to 391 grams and (in theory) raise the MOI even more. Have a countercore grip on the way, too (first time trying a super stroke... figured I'd go all the way), so I can play around with different setups.



    At the very least, it'll give me something to tinker with late at night while The Big Bang Theory reruns are on...
    TaylorMade Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • philsRHmanphilsRHman Members Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    I found the Red at DSG this weekend and was surprised at how well it seemed to set up against the ball and the weight was fantastic. I've never ever been able to stroke a TM mallet. I wonder if the slant neck helps that.



    Also, for everyone who says this putter doesn't lie square, have you messed with the lie angle? I always struggled with this until I went through a putter fitting and found that once it's bent to the right lie angle, it sits square as can be. I have to imagine this is the case with the Spider, since I could physically see where I needed to hold my hands on the demo club to make it square. A little too high or low and it would start to point cockeyeed for me.
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost ClubWRX Posts: 1,477 ClubWRX
    Ti-Cip wrote:


    I see different sole plates on the black DJ model. what is the history with these 2 sole plates?

    is that the only difference between the 2?

    confusing..




    There was a limited pre-release of the DJ model in November that had the itsy Bitsy sole plate (looks like the Limited model sole plate minus the word "Limited"). The full retail release that's happening now has the "Tour" sole plate.
    Instagram: @z.buck
    Callaway GBB Epic - 10.5° / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 X
    Titleist 915F - 21° / Graphite Design AD-DJ 7 X
    Titleist 818 H1 - 23° / HZRDUS Black 85 X
    Srixon Z745 5-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 - 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind - 60° / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Odyssey Tour Issue WHP #7 (Pro X Insert)
  • WindyCitySPNWindyCitySPN Members Posts: 944 ✭✭
    gamecock wrote:
    Anyone received there spider tours? Taylormade charged me on Thursday afternoon, but I still have not received a shipping notification. Website said they were supposed to ship on the 3rd and I thought it would have shipped, since they went ahead and charged my card.




    Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Ground shipping from TM is brutally slow.
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    ZBUCK wrote:

    Ti-Cip wrote:


    I see different sole plates on the black DJ model. what is the history with these 2 sole plates?

    is that the only difference between the 2?

    confusing..




    There was a limited pre-release of the DJ model in November that had the itsy Bitsy sole plate (looks like the Limited model sole plate minus the word "Limited"). The full retail release that's happening now has the "Tour" sole plate.




    does the new or old sole plate make any difference in the putter setting up neutral vs open like most of these spider putters tend to do??

    I see the new plate has a couple of "vents' where the "itsy" doesn't..
«13456759
Sign In or Register to comment.