Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

1356759

Comments

  • philsRHmanphilsRHman Posts: 1,248 ✭✭
    Still haven't really seen an answer about the lie angle and whether that's the real culprit for the face sitting open. I saw them both last night and it seems very dependent on hand position, and I'm guessing the massive head exaggerates the look of open face. Has anyone been fit or tried to bend one of these yet? I found I needed my hands in a very upright position (although I'm a bad judge because I've been fit into a 8* flat because I prefer my hands low and close to my body).
  • Mikey TownMikey Town Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭
    philsRHman wrote:


    Still haven't really seen an answer about the lie angle and whether that's the real culprit for the face sitting open. I saw them both last night and it seems very dependent on hand position, and I'm guessing the massive head exaggerates the look of open face. Has anyone been fit or tried to bend one of these yet? I found I needed my hands in a very upright position (although I'm a bad judge because I've been fit into a 8* flat because I prefer my hands low and close to my body).




    Can't say for sure, but I'd bet it's the lie angle that's the problem.



    With a blade, you can set a putter down with the toe up and not even notice. The width (front to back) is small enough to where there isn't anything that is going to pull the face in either direction around the pivot point (which would be the part of the sole that's soled on the ground... the heel side, when the toe is up) when the putter isn't soled perfectly. Gravity tries to pull the toe down, but not enough for us to notice, as our hand position easily overrides it.



    With this putter, it's much wider... plus there is a lot of weight in the back of the head (unlike an Odyssey #7 type of design). If you sole this putter with the toe up, gravity isn't just trying to pull the toe back down. The weight in the back, on the toe side, will also be in the air and will want to be pulled back down to the ground. This would cause the face to rotate around the pivot point and open.



    Toe up with a blade = Gravity pulling the toe down = No real issues other than a poor fit (pretty common, really)

    Toe up with a back weighted mallet = Gravity pulling the toe down and back = Face falling open = Same poor fit, same fix, but bigger problem initially.



    I've tried some putters that just didn't want to sit square before, but this isn't one of them. I tried 2 blacks and a red, and they all set up fine.



    For people who are having a problem with the face falling open; I'd suggest setting up to the putter the way the putter wants to set up, then adjusting your hand position to match, instead of trying to fit the putter to your stroke right away. If this fixes the problem, and it sits square, then that confirms that the lie angle is just wrong for you. From there, it should be a pretty simple lie angle adjustment to have made so the putter will fit your set up position.
    TaylorMade Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    It's not the lie angle or an illusion, some of these putter sit wide open when soled, absolutely no doubt about it. I went shopping for a putter today and visited three different stores that all had one black and one red in stock. Out of the six putters, one of them sat completely square, all the others sat open to varying degrees. One of them so much that the top corner pretty much pointed to 1:30 on a clock. I've been leaning the shafts up and down, forward and backward and the only way to make the head square at address would be to have your hands waaay behind the ball.



    I have a Seemore mfgp2 (round mid mallet) that sits open at address, and I know from experience it opens up a lot more on an indoor putting surface than on actual grass. Still enough to be annoying outdoors though.



    One of the Taylormade TP Mullen putters sat open at address too, but not another one I tried.
  • Maximilian wrote:


    It's not the lie angle or an illusion, some of these putter sit wide open when soled, absolutely no doubt about it. I went shopping for a putter today and visited three different stores that all had one black and one red in stock. Out of the six putters, one of them sat completely square, all the others sat open to varying degrees. One of them so much that the top corner pretty much pointed to 1:30 on a clock. I've been leaning the shafts up and down, forward and backward and the only way to make the head square at address would be to have your hands waaay behind the ball.



    I have a Seemore mfgp2 (round mid mallet) that sits open at address, and I know from experience it opens up a lot more on an indoor putting surface than on actual grass. Still enough to be annoying outdoors though.



    One of the Taylormade TP Mullen putters sat open at address too, but not another one I tried.




    To close mine I have to have my hands ahead of the club face, feel quite lucky that mine seems to be perfect for me!
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Kenbarlow wrote:


    To close mine I have to have my hands ahead of the club face, feel quite lucky that mine seems to be perfect for me!


    Indeed, I wouldn't mind having to have my hands just slightly in front of the ball either. I would like to have the option to get on SAM and double check the loft at impact with a setup like that though.



    At first I thought these putters were not for me (even believe I wrote that on another thread here), but it's difficult to deny how stable they are. I usually don't like big heavy mallets like this, but the stability through the stroke really is quite impressive with these. I talked to a guy in a store and said that I would be interested in a black 35" model, but only if it sat square. He said he was going to order one for me and specifically ask for them to check that it sits square. If it doesn't, I would not have to buy it. Worth a try.
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX Posts: 1,808
    Went to the local Golfsmith (transitioning to a Golf Galaxy) and picked up the Tour Black. Really enjoyed the feel off the putter and the sound. Made quite a few and the distance control seemed very good. Really didn't like the stock grip on it though, but that is easily changed. Felt better than my current putter.



    I felt that it did have some "pop", so I'd like to take it on th actual course and see how it does with short putts.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65
    Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade M2 18* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    WITB Link
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    I grabbed this one today. My only comment is that at setup it looks like it has zero loft
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Posts: 581 ✭✭
    Does anyone know if their is a functional REASON for the new sole plate? I have the DJ limited edition (released in December) with the "old" soleplate which is different than pictured immediately above....I'm assuming it's purely cosmetic, but, anyone know something further?
  • eebombeebomb Posts: 540 ✭✭


    I grabbed this one today. My only comment is that at setup it looks like it has zero loft
    looks closed😮
  • maverickmaverick Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
    Other than the set-up, how does it feel and opinions on accuracy?
  • mcc0819mcc0819 Members Posts: 589 ✭✭
    mjbaker80 wrote:
    Does anyone know if their is a functional REASON for the new sole plate? I have the DJ limited edition (released in December) with the "old" soleplate which is different than pictured immediately above....I'm assuming it's purely cosmetic, but, anyone know something further?




    I have both the limited and tour. Honestly the sole plates make no difference to me. I don't know the specs on the sole plate but I believe it's for cosmetic purposes only.



    I think people feel it sits open is due to the 38 deg toe hang and the way the slant neck is welded onto the head.
    Ping G400 LST AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3w HZRDUS Smoke 80 6.5
    Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS Black 76 6.5
    Ping i200 4-pw DG X100
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works 1w

  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    edited Mar 8, 2017 #73
    eebomb wrote:



    I grabbed this one today. My only comment is that at setup it looks like it has zero loft
    looks closed😮


    Mine wanted to rest a bit open, not closed at all. The sound and feel were great. A bit louder and more of a click feel for me .
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    i just got mine today.. thank god!!! it site pretty closed!!! i was kinda worried driving down to the store. they only had the 1.
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,597 ✭✭

    eebomb wrote:



    I grabbed this one today. My only comment is that at setup it looks like it has zero loft
    looks closed😮


    Mine wanted to rest a bit open, not closed at all. The sound and feel were great. A bit louder and more of a click feel for me .




    First thing I said when checking one out, looks like it has 0* loft. The neck also hides more of the heel of the putter than usual. I'm still planning on taking the black one out for a test drive as soon as my club gets demos in.
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • CraigOwenCraigOwen Members Posts: 34
    Hi guys. I'm coming if the spider limited red. Which insert feels most like that one? Thanks
  • Vonex586Vonex586 Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the black is firmer than the red
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Posts: 972 ✭✭
    Black is much firmer than red. Red has a softer surly insert. I think the biggest thing about this putter is that it's a slight arc mallet and that's what enables blade users to make the easy transition.
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • CraigOwenCraigOwen Members Posts: 34
    Thanks guys. Has anyone tried the itsy limited red with the alignment line (platinum version now) against the red tour and black tour faces to get a comparison.
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost ClubWRX Posts: 1,473 ClubWRX
    CraigOwen wrote:


    Thanks guys. Has anyone tried the itsy limited red with the alignment line (platinum version now) against the red tour and black tour faces to get a comparison.




    Limited red is very clicky, feels cheap compared to the other two.
    Instagram: @z.buck
    Callaway GBB Epic - 10.5° / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 X
    Titleist 915F - 21° / Graphite Design AD-DJ 7 X
    Callaway Apex - 24° / Oban Revenge 85 X
    Srixon Z745 5-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 - 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind - 60° / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Odyssey Tour Issue WHP #7 (Pro X Insert)
  • mcc0819mcc0819 Members Posts: 589 ✭✭
    ZBUCK wrote:

    CraigOwen wrote:


    Thanks guys. Has anyone tried the itsy limited red with the alignment line (platinum version now) against the red tour and black tour faces to get a comparison.




    Limited red is very clicky, feels cheap compared to the other two.




    I would agree. The limited definitely has a clickier/firmer feel than both the black and red tour.
    Ping G400 LST AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3w HZRDUS Smoke 80 6.5
    Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS Black 76 6.5
    Ping i200 4-pw DG X100
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works 1w

  • CraigOwenCraigOwen Members Posts: 34
    Ok thanks guys. I'll go the blck one and we how it goes image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • PCHPCH Sooooo deep Members Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Be careful with the removable weights on these. Accidentally sheared off one of the weights and spent about an hour drilling it out.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Taylormade M1 440 8.5, Fujikura Atmos Black 7TX 45 Tip 1"
    Taylormade M2 Tour T3, Fujikura Atmos Black 8TX 43 Tip 1"[/font]

    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Taylormade P790 UDI HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 Tip 1"[/font]
    [font=times new roman, times, serif]Taylormade Tour Preferred MB 4-PW DG X7[/font]
    [font=times new roman, times, serif]Vokey SM7 56.14F, 60.12D S400 [/font]
    [font=times new roman, times, serif]Byron Morgan 615[/font]
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    PCH wrote:


    Be careful with the removable weights on these. Accidentally sheared off one of the weights and spent about an hour drilling it out.




    that sounds like a problem with your weight...

    the weights still use a torque wrench, so it'll click when it is the right amount of torque.

    this could happen to any **** that goes in putters or drivers.. sounds like bad luck.

    i hope u used a torque wrench and not just screwed down super tight!!
  • budcangolfbudcangolf Members Posts: 358 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #85
    CraigOwen wrote:


    Ok thanks guys. I'll go the blck one and we how it goes image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    He was talking about the Red Limited with the double bend shaft, both the new red and black (day and DJ) putters feel great black is much firmer and hotter off the face I had one and just got the Red and it is perfect feel in my opinion.


    Ti-Cip wrote:

    PCH wrote:


    Be careful with the removable weights on these. Accidentally sheared off one of the weights and spent about an hour drilling it out.




    that sounds like a problem with your weight...

    the weights still use a torque wrench, so it'll click when it is the right amount of torque.

    this could happen to any **** that goes in putters or drivers.. sounds like bad luck.

    i hope u used a torque wrench and not just screwed down super tight!!




    They use a 30LB torque wrench instead of the 40LB one that comes with all the M1 and m2 lines thats probably why it busted...
  • jeffreyjenkinsjeffreyjenkins Posts: 355 ✭✭
    can someone send a link to the heavier weights that will work with the tour black/red? wanna make sure im getting the right thing
    TM M4 9.5 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 70X
    TM M6 15 Project X Even Flow Black 75 6.5X
    TM M4 Hybrid 19 KBS Tour Prototype Graphite 95X
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 TT S-400
    Titleist SM7 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08, 54.10, 60.10 TT S-400
    TM TP Collection Ardmore 2
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭
    Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.

    Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:


    Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.



    Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.




    hmm.. most on here say that the limited red with the alignment is crappy.. and that the design of that one is nothing like the ones dj or day use.

    i just got the dj and it feels awesome,, sits square. i had the limited red one before and got rid of it cuz of the no toe hang, and it sat open
  • CraigOwenCraigOwen Members Posts: 34
    Thanks guys, i loved the Limited Red but am keen to get the DJ tour edition if i can't get used to it ill try the Red tour. Cant wait!
  • CactusGolfCactusGolf ClubWRX Posts: 1,808
    Ti-Cip wrote:

    AmazinBlue wrote:


    Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.



    Putted with the new Tour Limited putter the DJ model last night, tried two different ones, they sound and feel hollow and crappy. I would never pay $300 for something that bad. I'll keep my Itsy Bitsy Limited putter with the white alignment line and red weight ports in the back. Mine feels solid.




    hmm.. most on here say that the limited red with the alignment is crappy.. and that the design of that one is nothing like the ones dj or day use.

    i just got the dj and it feels awesome,, sits square. i had the limited red one before and got rid of it cuz of the no toe hang, and it sat open
    That's where I'm struggling with the Tour Spider as well. Sits great, feels really good to me, but no alignment line and the price really push me away.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 65
    Taylormade M2 15* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade M2 18* Matrix Black Tie 6M4
    Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
    Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*
    Nike Method Origin B2-01
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    WITB Link
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 14,933
    I posted similar in another thread yesterday. I like the black one a lot, but I need a single alignment line. Felt fine to me, even with crappy balls, and I liked the weight and feel of it. But there's something about the head shape that makes me want to align it the right, so I'd need one with a line on it.
    WITB Link

    Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway BBA 16*, Speeder TS 8.2
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Maxfli Revolution 4-PW, DG
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
Sign In or Register to comment.