VOTE: What's the Best Driver of 2017?

124»

Comments

• onafridayonafriday Members  1450WRX Points: 134Handicap: 5Posts: 1,450 Platinum Tees
    I voted M1 - the best for me, Epic SZ- the best seemingly for the guys here, and the Ping G - which is likely the best blend for those shopping off the rack.
    Posted:
    G410 LST 9* Diamana W 60X 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Diamana DF 60X
    SLDR 19* Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X
    P790 ‘19 (4-P) Modus3 105X
    SM8 (raw) 50F, 54D, 58D Modus3 120X
    Cameron 009M 1.5

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX  3574WRX Points: 164Posts: 3,574 ClubWRX
    Wonder how much it will change once the new ping driver comes.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 lst diamana bf
    Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
    Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
    Callaway MD5 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members  8040WRX Points: 619Posts: 8,040 Titanium Tees
    boycer11 wrote:

Me too. The G is awesome but I agree with many that it's not the best sounding/feeling. They improve that, along with what other tech is in it, and I'd probably buy it.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10.5° (-) | (fw tbd) | PING G410 19° (F-) | PING i25 22°, 26° | Callaway XHP 6-AW | PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES | PING Scottsdale TR B60, 34.5"
    Srixon Z-Star Yellow
  • TheBestDamnBagBoyTheBestDamnBagBoy Members  7WRX Points: 0Handicap: 10Posts: 7
    I've bought into the epic hype. Bay Hill let the epic win last weekend!
    Posted:
  • meyerssrmeyerssr Members  46WRX Points: 60Posts: 46 Bunkers
    hamish2 wrote:

Didnt vote for any of them.

Best of this lot are M1 and Cally Epic I suspect, but I have tried both and they cant "hold a candle" to my Cally V series 9.5 with Speeder 565 stiff for a 95 MPH swing speed.

My thoughts on the new tech? If Callaway made a proper titanium crown in the first place, they wouldnt get "Crown distortion" at impact and the jailbreak bars would be redundant. Its a case of; fix a weak crown with an otherwise unnecessary feature which probably creates other imbalances!

Bet you all two bob that this feature will quietly disappear within two club cycles! image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />
    So I am curious why you say this... clearly you aren't familiar with MOI and Discretionary weighting then... A thicker / heavier crown takes weight away from the balance and perimeter of the club, reducing its MOI and making it less forgiving. This is the reason for the carbon crown anyways... reduce weight drastically over titanium and make the club more forgiving.

The technology won't go away, but I can see it being modified.

Also, The new Jailbreak Technology has proven to increase ball speeds on both robots and HUMANS! So essentially what your saying is no company has ever made a reasonable titanium crown, because no titanium crown driver ever made offers what Jailbreak does.
    Posted:
  • meyerssrmeyerssr Members  46WRX Points: 60Posts: 46 Bunkers
    Konklifer wrote:

boycer11 wrote:

Me too. The G is awesome but I agree with many that it's not the best sounding/feeling. They improve that, along with what other tech is in it, and I'd probably buy it.

So they should improve the sound, feel and tech? sounds like your saying they just need to start over haha!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tigerstewtigerstew Englandgolfer1985 Members  306WRX Points: 47Posts: 306 Bunkers
    Any persimmon heads?
    Posted:
  • jefftomahawkjefftomahawk Members  1037WRX Points: 100Posts: 1,037 Platinum Tees
    Callaway GBB Epic sub zero, look at the member results with it, lots of positives.

Soon as I gather enough $, mine will be ordered.
    Posted:
  • scottazscottaz ClubWRX  2030WRX Points: 231Handicap: 1.6Posts: 2,030 ClubWRX
    I voted Epic SZ, Epic, then M1 460. I also tested the M1 440 and M2. I've owned the LTD Pro and last years M2 was better IMO. I didn't see much difference between last years M2 vs this years.

In the end, it always comes down to what helps me most with my miss. Both Epic's did this best. I had pretty similar results with all of the M's on good for good but off center strikes weren't as friendly with the TM's.

The real battle was between the two Epic's.

This would be a interesting poll 5 months from now.
    Posted:

Ping G400MAX 8.5 TPT 14 proto

Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Hzrdus tour black 105x

Callaway Apex 20 Fujikura pro 115x

Mizuno HMP PW-4 DG TI 100x

Vokey sm7 50f, 55f, 60k DG TI 100x

L.A.B Golf B.2 blade putter

• WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members  4909WRX Points: 220Handicap: 0.4Posts: 4,909 Titanium Tees
    I voted for the JPX 900 mainly because I'm just really impressed with the design, the stock shaft, and its beautiful. And yeah it goes straight too. I currently game the 16 M2 and won't be changing anytime soon, but of the new drivers the one I'd really like to try is fhe f7. The LTD was awesome but the setup just didn't suit my eye. If the f7 has even the slightest improvement over the LtD than it's a huge winner. I guess I kind of want to hit the Epic too...

And I'm not sure if I was swinging poorly or tired or something when I hit the new M2, but the ball speeds were noticeably lower than what I get with the 16 version. Maybe it was the shaft.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers, ClubWRX  1138WRX Points: 146Handicap: 3.5Posts: 1,138 ClubWRX
    Epic SZ for me. I tested the 2017 M line, GBB Epic and Epic SZ, King Cobra F7+ and the 917 D2. Epic SZ was the one for me hands down.
    Posted:
    In My Bag
    TM SIM 10.5* GD Tour AD IZ7
    TM SLDR  TP 14* 3W Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    2017 TM P790 3-PW Modus 120TX
    TM SLDR TP 2H  Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    JDM Titleist Vokey Forged 50* AND 58*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB-X Yellow
    #insideTMAG 2013

Advertisement
  • Jack_HJack_H Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers  30797WRX Points: 7,071Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,797 Titanium Tees
    Jpx 900. Epic performance with a real speeder 757 at no upcharge. What's not to like ?
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan Raw  53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• WesPWesP Members  237WRX Points: 1Handicap: +3Posts: 237 Bunkers
    Always been a Callaway guy. Epic with t1100 75g/6.5 vs 917 stock diamana 70x. I wished all i could, Epic still couldnt catch up. To me Titleist feels better, and has more adjustments. Now just curious how the t1100 will fit with the 917...or if i can get my hands on a dual core xt
    Posted:
    Financial Advisor (PM me)

Driver: Epic SZ 9*. Fuji Tour Spec VC 7.2 X + Tensei Orange V2 TX
    Fairway Wood: Epic SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Black 6.5 85g (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC 8.2 or Atmos Black 80 TX)
    Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC)
    Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110
    Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52
    Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

2015 Evo X (Full Bolt Ons)
    2017 Jeep Wrangler
  • AaronSmartAaronSmart Members  92WRX Points: 0Posts: 92
    Epic sub zero is my vote.

Ive never bought a Callaway club in 20 years, not out of dislike but rather the brands I used, did the job or didn't need a change.

If I can get 10 extra yards on my driver, sign me up.
    Posted:
  • CHE KJARRVERACHE KJARRVERA Members  211WRX Points: 0Posts: 211
    Epic. Upgraded last week from a 910D2 that was super accurate for me. Tested a few 2017 drivers and the Epic won. Hopefully it lasts a while as all these modern composite drivers seem a bit fragile. Similar dispersion with it this week to my 5 iron...!
    Posted:
    GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi
  • hack2489hack2489 Members  321WRX Points: 60Handicap: 13.1Posts: 321 Greens
    Professional fitting last week for a new Driver and Fairway wood. Fitting process determined shaft specs needed first, so then all heads hit using same specs.

Hit Titleist 917D2, Callaway Epic, Srixon (can't recall model), Mizuno JPX 900, TaylorMade M2 and Cobra King F7.

The F7 was clear winner, daylight second.

Lowest spinning, most accurate and longest Driver from the bunch.

Data measured by Trackman while I hit out onto a range, so actual ball flight could be observed.

I was totally surprised. Never had Cobra equipment. Never really considered it, but, WOW it has a massive stand out for me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • psygolfpsygolf Members  1168WRX Points: 120Posts: 1,168 Platinum Tees
    meyerssr wrote:

hamish2 wrote:

Best of this lot are M1 and Cally Epic I suspect, but I have tried both and they cant "hold a candle" to my Cally V series 9.5 with Speeder 565 stiff for a 95 MPH swing speed.

My thoughts on the new tech? If Callaway made a proper titanium crown in the first place, they wouldnt get "Crown distortion" at impact and the jailbreak bars would be redundant. Its a case of; fix a weak crown with an otherwise unnecessary feature which probably creates other imbalances!

Bet you all two bob that this feature will quietly disappear within two club cycles! image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />
    So I am curious why you say this... clearly you aren't familiar with MOI and Discretionary weighting then... A thicker / heavier crown takes weight away from the balance and perimeter of the club, reducing its MOI and making it less forgiving. This is the reason for the carbon crown anyways... reduce weight drastically over titanium and make the club more forgiving.

Also, The new Jailbreak Technology has proven to increase ball speeds on both robots and HUMANS! So essentially what your saying is no company has ever made a reasonable titanium crown, because no titanium crown driver ever made offers what Jailbreak does.

Didn't the old Ping ISI have to be grandfathered in after they set COR limits...because the flat crown had no distortion = faster ball speeds. ??

Posted:
  • LozLoz Members  74WRX Points: 0Posts: 74
    psygolf wrote:

meyerssr wrote:

hamish2 wrote:

Didn't the old Ping ISI have to be grandfathered in after they set COR limits...because the flat crown had no distortion = faster ball speeds. ??

I borrowed one once in a medal. Hit 14 fairways and shot level par. My short game and putting was poor at the time. I don't recall why I didn't buy one, but without doubt the best titanium driver I've ever used. These days I hit about 5 fairways, often on adjacent holes, with my 915 D3. I used to hit my old steel warbird better than any of the titanium drivers I've used recently. Should probably try a shorter shaft.
    Posted:
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members  8040WRX Points: 619Posts: 8,040 Titanium Tees
    meyerssr wrote:

Konklifer wrote:

boycer11 wrote:

So they should improve the sound, feel and tech? sounds like your saying they just need to start over haha!

Improve the sound and feel. "Along with what other tech is in it": meaning: New tech is a given for a new driver.

That better for ya?
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10.5° (-) | (fw tbd) | PING G410 19° (F-) | PING i25 22°, 26° | Callaway XHP 6-AW | PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES | PING Scottsdale TR B60, 34.5"
    Srixon Z-Star Yellow
  • opus_mhopus_mh Caddy for Hire...Winning!!! Augusta, Ga.Members  838WRX Points: 102Posts: 838 Golden Tee
    Taylormade m1

Epic SZ

Srixon z765 (yes it's that good)
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
    Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
    Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
    Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
    Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
     Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
    Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
    Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball
  • TWshoot67TWshoot67 TWShoot67 Members  2717WRX Points: 149Handicap: 4.2Posts: 2,717 Titanium Tees
    Can we amend and the list and add the TM M2 2016 because it's better then all these drivers,,,,, lol
    Posted:
    Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
    Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
    TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
    Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
    Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
    Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
    Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
    Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
    Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • Ripken08Ripken08 Members  4402WRX Points: 235Handicap: 6ishPosts: 4,402 BST Banned

Interesting that the Epic Sub Zero currently has more votes than the standard Epic. Way more tour play with the standard and I've heard retail sales are at least 3 to 1. Maybe even higher.

I agree. I think a lot of people on here think they need the SZ and never tested the regular Epic. Standard is superior IMO.
    Posted:
  • Justin.BJustin.B Members  204WRX Points: 21Handicap: 11Posts: 204 Fairways
    M2
    Posted:
  • SefSef Members  930WRX Points: 95Handicap: 7Posts: 930 Golden Tee
    psygolf wrote:
    meyerssr wrote:

hamish2 wrote:

I am not sure about this but I had the Ping TiSI, ugly but I hit it a ton. That and the old Mactec NVG were bombers for me back in the day.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* - Fuji Pro 2.0 70X
    Callaway 816 Alpha 3w - Rogue I/O 70X
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 19* 5w - Tour Green 75X
    Ping S55 4-pw - Project X LZ 7.0
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • Andrew Bond of GlencoeAndrew Bond of Glencoe Members  652WRX Points: 1Handicap: 2.5Posts: 652 Golden Tee
    I just recently was given a Titleist 917d3 in a golf tournament as a giveaway.

I am not a huge fan of picking a driver without testing it so I went to my local fitter and told him that I wanted to be fit for a driver.

He used Trackman and my results were as follows:

Titleist 915d3 (current driver)

-> Carry 249 yards, total yards 270

Titleist 917d3

-> Carry 255 yards, total yards 275 yards

Callaway Epic SubZero

-> Carry 266 yards, total yards 289 yards

The Epic SubZero was nearly 20 yards longer than my current driver which matched up to my experience on the golf course hitting a buddies Epic.

I don't remember all of my stats-

launch 13* average

Swing speed varied between 105mph

Angle of attach was 5* up

Neutral path

My biggest issue is low spin. My average poor shot is 1700rpms. My highest spin was 2500rpms. The low spinning shots are basically knuckleballs.
    Posted:
  • HotdoctaHotdocta Members  292WRX Points: 83Handicap: -8.3Posts: 292 Greens
    steve76t wrote:

I voted Titleist D2, Epic Sub Zero and TM M2. I've hit all three plus a few others. Not much difference in overall distance between them and I do like the Titleist the most. Just something about how it feels to me and the flight I get the it. Fitting is key to any driver as I think the shaft has to fit the player more than the head does. I've demo'd the TM M2 twice & really like it too, but I broke the 2nd demo I half way through my round. The seam between the face and the crown cracked after hitting a drive too high on the face.

How did you break it?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • awfidlstxawfidlstx Members  81WRX Points: 34Posts: 81 Fairways
    Voted Epic SZ and F7+, both have carbon crowns, adjustable loft/lie, adjustable CG. Low spinning, good feel/sound with the carbon tops.

Also voted XXIO 9 because honma beres wasnt an option for those old folks.
    Posted:
  • Golfer-91Golfer-91 Members  57WRX Points: 0Handicap: 2Posts: 57
    2017 m1 460 just switched from the m2 and picked up some yardage from the lowered spin but they're both amazing
    Posted:
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers  4143WRX Points: 243Handicap: 10.5Posts: 4,143 Titanium Tees
    Ping G400
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.