We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

RDD Q&A on Everything Golf

Comments

• RDDRDD  262WRX Points: 51Charter Members Posts: 262
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

rope47 wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

rope47 wrote:

Robert, over the past decade or so I've become a big Phil Mickelson fan. What's your take on his true personality. The public seems to split into two camps - He's awesome & He's a fraud. Can you give your opinion?

Really?

Yeah. I'm genuinely curious, and judging by this thread and the one on JT I thought Robert would give an honest answer.

I'm sure if it's a positive opinion you'll get that. Nobody on GC or playing on the Tour is going to tell you Phil is a fraud on air or on an Internet forum, that's the part I found odd.
    I would if it were true. It just isn't.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me  10704WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 10,704
    Robert, thanks for the insights. Very cool of you to do so!
    Posted:
    hogans71 wrote:

Robert, thanks for the insights. Very cool of you to do so!
    My pleasure
    Posted:
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster  6692WRX Points: 164Members Posts: 6,692
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

More like how her cute little belly button was sticking out and how she had grown a little in certain areas - all valid scientific observations.

Yeah, you were talking about her... rosy glows. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25148WRX Points: 2,125ClubWRX Posts: 25,148
    Obviously without naming name, are there many on tour who enhance performance either through PED's or more recreational substances?
    Posted:
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Obviously without naming name, are there many on tour who enhance performance either through PED's or more recreational substances?
    Recreational? Absolutely. PED? Nope
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • PhreddyPhreddy  665WRX Points: 192Members Posts: 665
    Do you like the idea of a fall -wrap around- season, or do you think The Tour risks burning out it's audience and it's players?

Thank you for all of your insights.

Phred
    Posted:
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • mallratmallrat  3101WRX Points: 301Members Posts: 3,101
    I'll shoot.

1) We know who some of the slow players are but why don't guys like Spieth get grilled for being slow where Na, who has made an effort to speed up, gets raked?

2) Worst shot you've seen a pro hit?

3) How do/did the Tour guys feel about Daly?
    Posted:
    Phreddy wrote:

Do you like the idea of a fall -wrap around- season, or do you think The Tour risks burning out it's audience and it's players?

Thank you for all of your insights.

Phred
    I'm not a fan of it. Feels odd right???
    Posted:
    mallrat wrote:

I'll shoot.

1) We know who some of the slow players are but why don't guys like Spieth get grilled for being slow where Na, who has made an effort to speed up, gets raked?

2) Worst shot you've seen a pro hit?

3) How do/did the Tour guys feel about Daly?
    Spieth is a superstar. He's not gonna get called out.

1)Only media called out Na. Tour doesn't give a crap how slow it takes.

2)I hit a worm burner off a tee with a 5 iron into the water on 11 at Dallas. That's the worst I can think of.

Oh, Scott Mccarron chunked a teed up driver in Denver when I played with him. That was pretty bad

3)Daly is loved by the players. He's s genuinely good guy, just obviously has his demons. If there is one complaint, it's when he quits trying.

Posted:
  • Brass_BullseyeBrass_Bullseye BrassBullseye  352WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 352
    1. Do you believe caddies are overpaid for the benefit they provide? I read an installment of Undercover Pro in Golf Digest a while back in which he commented that some players feel like caddies get too big of a cut.

2. If they held a tournament where every player used persimmon woods, blade irons and wound balata balls would it make much difference or would the guys who excel with modern gear excel with the old stuff too?

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 Driver,
    Titleist 915F 3W
    Titleist 915H 2H
    Titleist 716 CB irons 3-PW
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges, 52.08F, 56.08M
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7

Advertisement
    rope47 wrote:

1. Do you believe caddies are overpaid for the benefit they provide? I read an installment of Undercover Pro in Golf Digest a while back in which he commented that some players feel like caddies get too big of a cut.

2. If they held a tournament where every player used persimmon woods, blade irons and wound balata balls would it make much difference or would the guys who excel with modern gear excel with the old stuff too?
    1) I don't think they're over payed necessarily. It's basically a straight commission. Players make more, so caddies make more.

No doubt they work harder than they did 20+ years ago

2)50% would still be great. Spieth, Rory, Bubba. 50% of today's tour millionaires would be digging ditches.
    Posted:
  • FadeFade  1287WRX Points: 218Members Posts: 1,287
    [media=]

Nice pitching motion at 1:23. How long did you have to the pin?

And, congratulations on the win, and thank you for this thread.
    Posted:
    Fade wrote:

[media=]

Nice pitching motion at 1:23. How long did you have to the pin?

And, congratulations on the win, and thank you for this thread.
    Thanks. I really don't remember. Looks around 100. I made everything that week
    Posted:
  • mallratmallrat  3101WRX Points: 301Members Posts: 3,101
    Do you have any ideas on speeding up play? Do you think it starts with the tour?
    Posted:
    mallrat wrote:

Do you have any ideas on speeding up play? Do you think it starts with the tour?
    probably starts on tour. Penalties on tour (which won't happen. Last one in early 90s). Let faster groups through at home. Doesn't matter what time you're playing in.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool 15887WRX Points: 1,090ClubWRX Posts: 15,887
    RDD wrote:

whr wrote:

What was the most frustrating part of being on tour?

How did winning on tour change your life?
    I still have trophy in my office, and I'm still very proud of it (16 years later)
    For all of the millions who plant the tee word wide, there are not many Men walking the face of this earth who achieved what you achieved-

Many dreamed about it, you achieved it

Very Nicely Played🏆

My Best,

RP
    Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool 15887WRX Points: 1,090ClubWRX Posts: 15,887
    RDD wrote:

First. Thanks for taking time to do this.

1). Do you think the fairways are too firm? We see as much as 50 yards or more roll.

2). Favorite course, major and non major. Favorite Event no longer around.

Fairways on tour aren't firm enough. Soft fairways give long hitters big advantage.

Let's take Bay Hill out of the equation. TPC Sawgrass is my favorite non major (although it should be) course. I played '97 PGA at Winged Foot. That's the best course I played in a major.

84 Lumber (can't remember name of course) was best tournament not still around. Joe Hardy treated us like royalty.
    The 84 Lumber Classic/Pennsylvania Classic was held for six years, 2003-2006, with Mr. Hardy's company, 84 Lumber, being the sponsor from 2003-06, and from '03-06 it was held at Mystic Rock, a Pete Dye design and part of the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, which was owned by Mr. Hardy. He had huge plans for the Tourney though the economy, impending housing market crash and his daughter Maggie(President) put the kabosh on those plans and the Tourney.

It was the prudent move though ****, was that Tourney fun, lmao

He is indeed, an incredibly kind and generous man.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳️

RP
    Posted:
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

RDD wrote:

whr wrote:

What was the most frustrating part of being on tour?

How did winning on tour change your life?
    I still have trophy in my office, and I'm still very proud of it (16 years later)
    For all of the millions who plant the tee word wide, there are not many Men walking the face of this earth who achieved what you achieved-

Many dreamed about it, you achieved it

Very Nicely Played🏆

My Best,

RP
    I remind myself of that as I scrap it around the course. Thank you very much
    Posted:
    Would you mind taking us through your PSR and if you used one, your PostSR?

Also, when you started to go sideways, did you find yourself deviating from your usual PSR, either physically or mentally, and if so, how so and where did this ocur in your routine?

Thanks much image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

All the Best,

RP
    Posted:

Also, when you started to go sideways, did you find yourself deviating from your usual PSR, either physically or mentally, and if so, how so and where did this ocur in your routine?

All the Best,

RP
    What the **** is psr?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player  1533WRX Points: 288Members Posts: 1,533
    RDD wrote:

All the Best,

RP
    What the **** is psr?

That's funny!!! Nothing like honest answers. .

Pre Shot Routine. PSR..

Thanks again for sticking around this thread. It's been fun to read as I wait for the NorEaster to slam us with snow.

Posted:
    RDD wrote:

All the Best,

RP
    What the **** is psr?
    Forget it, lmao

Have s great evening👊

My Best,

RP
    Posted:
  • Brass_BullseyeBrass_Bullseye BrassBullseye  352WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 352

RDD wrote:

All the Best,

RP
    What the **** is psr?
    Forget it, lmao

Have s great evening👊

My Best,

RP

Pre-shot routine?
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 Driver,
    Titleist 915F 3W
    Titleist 915H 2H
    Titleist 716 CB irons 3-PW
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges, 52.08F, 56.08M
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7
    rope47 wrote:

RDD wrote:

All the Best,

RP
    What the **** is psr?
    Forget it, lmao

Have s great evening👊

My Best,

RP

Pre-shot routine?
    Yes I altered my pre shot routine when I struggled, but I wish I hadn't. It should have been something I developed when I was young and never gave a second thought to.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28992WRX Points: 5,480Members Posts: 28,992
    RDD wrote:

rope47 wrote:

1) I don't think they're over payed necessarily. It's basically a straight commission. Players make more, so caddies make more.

No doubt they work harder than they did 20+ years ago

2)50% would still be great. Spieth, Rory, Bubba. 50% of today's tour millionaires would be digging ditches.

Lol. Love to hear that true take on today's tech in clubs.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19269WRX Points: 3,248ClubWRX Posts: 19,269
    My apologies. My congrats on the great segments this morning were meant for this thread, not to keep the other one going. Enjoyed the stories and the true passion and friendship for everything Arnold and it was all very sincere and appropriate. Know you responded there.

Question: has GC indicated whether you will be in studio or on the grounds for The Masters?
    Posted:
  • jafowler85jafowler85  78WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 78
    Thanks for the taking the time to answer all of the questions

1) how much of the distances we see tour pros hit their irons is a result of their lofts being adjusted for "optimal spin rate" ie bent strong to reduce spin if it is "high" for that particular club

2) would the tour installing standard loft requirements for each iron change how the pros play and strategize?
    Posted:
    Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Black X-Stiff 44 inches
    Cobra F6 3 Wood 14.5* w/ ProLaunch Red 65S 42 inches
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 19.5*
    Cobra King Pro CB/MB (4-GW) w/ KBS Tour 120
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* and 58*
    NIke Method Matter B2-01 w/ SuperStroke Slim
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

My apologies. My congrats on the great segments this morning were meant for this thread, not to keep the other one going. Enjoyed the stories and the true passion and friendship for everything Arnold and it was all very sincere and appropriate. Know you responded there.

Question: has GC indicated whether you will be in studio or on the grounds for The Masters?
    studio
    Posted:

Advertisement
    jafowler85 wrote:

Thanks for the taking the time to answer all of the questions

1) how much of the distances we see tour pros hit their irons is a result of their lofts being adjusted for "optimal spin rate" ie bent strong to reduce spin if it is "high" for that particular club

2) would the tour installing standard loft requirements for each iron change how the pros play and strategize?
    1) Very, very little.

2) Not at all. Doesn't matter what the number on the club says. Those guys know how far each club will go
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.