RDD Q&A on Everything Golf

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,322 ClubWRX
    So Robert...what were the "female groupies" like on tour? Obviously you're a man of great integrity but you've probably heard stories...
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,322 ClubWRX
    Have you ever had cocktails with Jerry Foltz? Just seems like a good guy...
  • RDDRDD Charter Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

So Robert...what were the "female groupies" like on tour? Obviously you're a man of great integrity but you've probably heard stories...
    Of course I know nothing of these things, but I've been told that if someone is at a golf tournament in high heels they're there to do things other than watch golf.

DavePelz4 wrote:

Yes and yes
    RDD wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Of course I know nothing of these things, but I've been told that if someone is at a golf tournament in high heels they're there to do things other than watch golf.

DavePelz4 wrote:

Yes and yes

You are awesome RD. Thanks.

So they're having a Golf Channel golf outing. You're playing from 6,500 yards. What does Gary Williams shoot? Hack? DiMarco? Rymer? Kelly T.? Brandel?

Who would you have the most fun with in a 2 person best ball?
    DavePelz4 wrote:

RDD wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Yes and yes

You are awesome RD. Thanks.

So they're having a Golf Channel golf outing. You're playing from 6,500 yards. What does Gary Williams shoot? Hack? DiMarco? Rymer? Kelly T.? Brandel?

Who would you have the most fun with in a 2 person best ball?
    Thanks.

No idea but Dimarco obviously the best.

Prob Kelly and Hack
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,697 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 2, 2017 #157
    RD, tell the brain dead production people at the Drive, Chip and Putt (if it's GC directing this broadcast) we would like to see shots, shots and more shots!

Very few golf shots and way too much chatter, interviews with Bubba, etc, Personal stories are okay, but when coming up with all these bios becomes the show they are not growing the game. Friends, family not there, kids watching, family there but taping, me (!) want to see the kids hitting shots and the actual competition.

Every year it gets less about the shots. Now lots of kids aren't being shown. Need a balance, but it's way off this year.

I'm MAD!
    Oh, and raises for everyone!
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Oh, and raises for everyone!
    I'm all over it!!
    Watching Morning Drive (well, I'm at the table on my laptop and the pup was watching as usual until I made him stand up, lol) and mention was made of the upcoming changes.

(Picture quality sucks but not opening up the blinds and having the neighbors tracking our every move early in the morning)!

RDD - not trying to open up any big argument about the PGA Championship being moved (especially since I'm not a fan of that), but wondering if there is any "buzz" among the players at this point given The Players will be moving and the PGA as well? Thought maybe this event this year would have folks thinking about that a little bit, but maybe it's still a little early?
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Watching Morning Drive (well, I'm at the table on my laptop and the pup was watching as usual until I made him stand up, lol) and mention was made of the upcoming changes.

(Picture quality sucks but not opening up the blinds and having the neighbors tracking our every move early in the morning)!

RDD - not trying to open up any big argument about the PGA Championship being moved (especially since I'm not a fan of that), but wondering if there is any "buzz" among the players at this point given The Players will be moving and the PGA as well? Thought maybe this event this year would have folks thinking about that a little bit, but maybe it's still a little early?
    i think everyone is fine with the moves. Actually good to reestablish the Florida swing.

BTW, you have a very smart dog
    RDD wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

i think everyone is fine with the moves. Actually good to reestablish the Florida swing.

BTW, you have a very smart dog

LOL, ever since the Hallmark Christmas movie rerun season was over after the holidays, he's a Morning Drive puppy - loves his RDD!
  • AceCatKYAceCatKY Members Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Robert, being born in Kentucky, did you grow up following University of Kentucky athletics at all? Btw, thanks for taking time to answer these questions; this has been an enjoyable thread.
    910D3 9.5* Aldila RIP Phenom
    M2 15*
    816H2 21*
    Ping Eye 2 5-PW ZZ Lite
    MIzuno MP 52-07 / Ping Eye 2 U Groove 56* SW / Oil Can Vokey SM 60*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Mallet Raw
    ProV1
    AceCatKY wrote:

Robert, being born in Kentucky, did you grow up following University of Kentucky athletics at all? Btw, thanks for taking time to answer these questions; this has been an enjoyable thread.
    Not much. I was a golf and boxing fan. UK not known for those sports!
    Good segment with RDD and Clampett this morning - but not everyone was happy about it!

[and btw, have enjoyed RDD and Gary on MD, nice to see Gary back, show has been enjoyable!]
    Linus said to get his greeting in this thread as well. Obviously, it's still the season for his Hallmark movies, but he's anxious for MD to return in a couple weeks!

RDD, not trying to get any "inside stuff", but if there is anything in general GC will allow to be revealed about what's upcoming would love to hear about it. If top secret, we'll understand.

And don't pay attention to that other thread, keep wearing the Bay Hill!
    Outside of losing Charlie the changes aren’t major, but the show is going to have lots of subtle differences. Unfortunately, I can’t say specifically because ideas may change. You’ll have to tune in!

Also, Linus and my wife watch exact same tv shows!! Merry Christmas
  • FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 919 ✭✭
    Thanks for your time Robert.

I get so irked if a Pro shoots 72-73 the last round and someone says they choked. I mean, if a player shoots 73-69-68-65 he “came on strong”. If he shoots 65-68-69-73 and loses by one “he choked”. I tell my friends that just golf! Did the other guy “choke” in the first round with zero pressure on him lol. What are your feelings?

PS Not a Van De Velde finish obviously 😆
    Frostfield wrote:

Thanks for your time Robert.

I get so irked if a Pro shoots 72-73 the last round and someone says they choked. I mean, if a player shoots 73-69-68-65 he “came on strong”. If he shoots 65-68-69-73 and loses by one “he choked”. I tell my friends that just golf! Did the other guy “choke” in the first round with zero pressure on him lol. What are your feelings?

PS Not a Van De Velde finish obviously 😆
    Lots of variables, but if your last round is your highest (after a solid first 54), it’s kinda a choke. Not always of course, but Sunday is the day that pays the bills.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    edited Dec 21, 2018 #170
    RDD wrote:

mallrat wrote:

Do you have any ideas on speeding up play? Do you think it starts with the tour?
    probably starts on tour. Penalties on tour (which won't happen. Last one in early 90s). Let faster groups through at home. Doesn't matter what time you're playing in.

I'm aware of courses in the UK/Europe basically removing all "rough" and no four balls allowed. Good ideas for recreational golf or over the top?
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
    - Some of the best golfers in recent times were extremely good amateurs and played several pro events (PGA Tour, ET etc.) but didn't really even contend near the top of the leaderboard yet a few weeks after turning pro they win? Is there a common factor and can this be explained.

- Do you recall playing a regional qualifier for The Open (mid 90s possibly for 95 @ St Andrews) at a Glenbervie GC in Scotland? I'm certain you made it thru to the final qualifying.

- Was Tim Rosaforte OK with a fellow MD crew member dressing up as him on Halloween?
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

RDD wrote:

mallrat wrote:

Do you have any ideas on speeding up play? Do you think it starts with the tour?
    probably starts on tour. Penalties on tour (which won't happen. Last one in early 90s). Let faster groups through at home. Doesn't matter what time you're playing in.

I'm aware of courses in the UK/Europe basically removing all "rough" and no four balls allowed. Good ideas for recreational golf or over the top?
    Over the top. Just let faster groups through

- Some of the best golfers in recent times were extremely good amateurs and played several pro events (PGA Tour, ET etc.) but didn't really even contend near the top of the leaderboard yet a few weeks after turning pro they win? Is there a common factor and can this be explained.

- Do you recall playing a regional qualifier for The Open (mid 90s possibly for 95 @ St Andrews) at a Glenbervie GC in Scotland? I'm certain you made it thru to the final qualifying.

- Was Tim Rosaforte OK with a fellow MD crew member dressing up as him on Halloween?
    -There is a confidence boost when you turn pro, but mostly just natural process

-98 I tried to qualify (unsuccessfully). Maybe at the course you mentioned

-I think he was ok with it. Who could be upset with Lauren?
    edited Jan 3, 2019 10:34pm #174
    Is there anyone on this forum who could have a kind word with the Christmas break intern who decided that when someone has a birdie putt that occasionally an annoying and somewhat imposing white graphic, which then gets even more annoying and a little animated be displayed that says, "for birdie"?

LOL, the announcers just said it, the regular little player score box graphic shows par/his strokes - it is really dumb and I can only assume when the producers saw it they realized they had been pranked by some unpaid broadcasting major now that you can't change keys on typewriters when you leave the office. It's kind of like someone first discovered TV graphics only yesterday, but of course forgot the golf audience watching on TV, especially on GC, isn't stupid and knows a little about golf and has an attention span greater than a caffeinated rabbit.

No time to go into how I really feel, haha, but if only there was someone on this forum who knew someone who knew someone . . . .
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,836 ✭✭
    RDD wrote:

-There is a confidence boost when you turn pro, but mostly just natural process

-98 I tried to qualify (unsuccessfully). Maybe at the course you mentioned

-I think he was ok with it. *****Who could be upset with Lauren********?

Ain’t that the truth.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    Great, the silly "for birdie" is back again today.
    edited Jan 9, 2019 8:16am #177
    RDD with a nice, practical on the range demo this morning.

I vote for more of these!

And really liked the outdoors actually on the range aspect of it vs. the in studio putting green or simulator. So much that could be done with something outside away from the studio every once in awhile - I think it would resonate. Now if you are putting outside and the "For Birdie" graphic comes up, well I just don't know, lol. Enough Monday morning TV producer on this Wednesday.

I know you said you need a new bag - was that your 7 iron? I'm not a club junkie to the point where I can recognize anything but looked Wilson-ish (even if it wasn't) although the camera didn't really zoom in.

RDD going through that process would make for something a lot of us relate to and would also enjoy.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

RDD with a nice, practical on the range demo this morning.

I vote for more of these!

And really liked the outdoors actually on the range aspect of it vs. the in studio putting green or simulator. So much that could be done with something outside away from the studio every once in awhile - I think it would resonate. Now if you are putting outside and the "For Birdie" graphic comes up, well I just don't know, lol. Enough Monday morning TV producer on this Wednesday.

I know you said you need a new bag - was that your 7 iron? I'm not a club junkie to the point where I can recognize anything but looked Wilson-ish (even if it wasn't) although the camera didn't really zoom in.

RDD going through that process would make for something a lot of us relate to and would also enjoy.
    I think 7 iron, but we filmed it 3 weeks ago. Also they’re Taylor Made MC irons. Exact ones I used 5 years ago. Thanks
    I was wondering when RDD would reappear on PGA Tour Live, enjoy your insight and analysis.

Do you know what events you are doing this season?

I don't expect names but any current players less than hospitable to the on-course guys? I guess with the players that are in featured groups its unlikely as they are guys that are used to the spotlight and they know you are there to do both them & the TV viewers a service.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,324 ✭✭
    RDD wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Mike Davis threw out the idea of a Tour golf ball that's 80% as long as the current ball. Do you think that would be a good idea for the Tour?
    Would not be bad. Anything to make 6800 yard courses relevant and close the gap between long and short hitters

I am now a big fan of Robert Damron!
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
    Hey, he's outdoors in a different chair! Progress!