2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2nd Swing Rant (Merged)

Shawn Paul

Let me first say that 2nd Swing has been good to me over the years. Great staff, golf savvy, nice stores, custom fitting, infinite choices, good prices, great selection. I have been shopping at 2nd Swing for a number of years - at least 10. I am lucky enough to live in MN so I can walk right into the store - which I like. I get to have some face time and work with the associate of my choice. The guy I usually worked with is no longer there so its time to make a new relationship.

Last week I went in and had some gear sent to the store from the Hub. When I decided the equipment was to my liking I said, "So lets talk about the price".

I've never paid full price for used gear from 2nd Swing, there is always some wiggle room. This is one of the things I like most about the place.

Sales associate says, "that wouldn't be fair to our online customers".

"So you won't move on the price?" says I.

"No", says they.

To me, I only care about me making my purchase right there and now. I don't care about some mythical person who is not there buying these used pieces of gear. I want to wheel and deal. If 2nd Swing no longer wheels and deals then I'll return to the Bay to find my gear.

What are your thoughts? Should 2nd Swing haggle with customers over the price or should we just take the 200 - 400% mark up in price and like it?

-

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

To me, I only care about me making my purchase right there and now. I don't care about some mythical person who is not there buying these used pieces of gear. I want to wheel and deal.

-

That pretty much sums it up doesn't it?

You look after yourself and they'll look after themselves.

You'll both be fine.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It wouldn't be fair to their online customers? Last few times 'Ive looked for used gear on their site or ebay store, they were way overpriced compared to the current market values.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Second swing is crazy high

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Only purchased a few things from them over phone, and was able to get something off to make it reasonable / closer to fair on harder to find item. If you buy direct (when they have it listed on eBay), they should at least remove the eBay fees (~10% off). Isn't everything negotiable? Hope you don't pay sticker price for your cars.....

The classified ads on here (BST) tend to be good prices too. Proclubs has similar model on eBay, but similar to 2nd swing, you can get them to take something off when you call .... and also they drop prices to move inventory .... so watching item can pay off.

It's a free market. I like to look at 2nd swing website because they have some interesting clubs, but have never seriously considered buying anything. Their prices are ridiculous, so I choose to support my addiction by buying from our BST and other places. I also looked at 2nd swing's trade-in, thinking maybe since they have the highest prices they might have the best trade-in values. Nope - lowest trade-in and highest prices. Just makes it an easy decision not to use them for anything other than window browsing. But if their model is working for them I support their right to continue doing what they're doing.

P.s. Sorry for my rant. I would never have commented on them were it not for the thread.

It wouldn't be fair to their online customers? Last few times 'Ive looked for used gear on their site or ebay store, they were way overpriced compared to the current market values.

This...way overpriced for used gear.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

I'm assuming the associate is someone you've never worked with, but has he been there for a while? What about the manager? You could always ask to speak with him and tell him there was always wiggle room with the other guy. It could well be a new management policy. If it works for them, they'll keep it, if not then they will need to adjust.

Aren't their stores franchised? Unless the store is getting some cut of online sales, I don't see how protecting the online customer is something high on his radar.

2nd Swing is the last place I look for used clubs. I can usually find what I need for half the price of what their asking on the Bay.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

First mistake is buying from them in the first place. Almost everything they sell is over priced to begin with!! I would definitely look elsewhere.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

I've actually had pretty decent success with 2nd Swing. Picked up my Scotty SB from them not long ago for the cheapest price that I could find. I've had success buying from their eBay store as well. They do loft/lie adjustments and stamping for a reasonable price. I'll admit that they are highly priced on a lot of stuff, but they do knock percentages off of listings on their site from time to time. You just have to catch it at the right time.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Let me first say that 2nd Swing has been good to me over the years. Great staff, golf savvy, nice stores, custom fitting, infinite choices, good prices, great selection. I have been shopping at 2nd Swing for a number of years - at least 10. I am lucky enough to live in MN so I can walk right into the store - which I like. I get to have some face time and work with the associate of my choice. The guy I usually worked with is no longer there so its time to make a new relationship.

Last week I went in and had some gear sent to the store from the Hub. When I decided the equipment was to my liking I said, "So lets talk about the price".

I've never paid full price for used gear from 2nd Swing, there is always some wiggle room. This is one of the things I like most about the place.

"No", says they.

To me, I only care about me making my purchase right there and now. I don't care about some mythical person who is not there buying these used pieces of gear. I want to wheel and deal. If 2nd Swing no longer wheels and deals then I'll return to the Bay to find my gear.

What are your thoughts? Should 2nd Swing haggle with customers over the price or should we just take the 200 - 400% mark up in price and like it?

-

I hate to be the guy to point out the obvious but you do realize that unlike those eBay stores they offer you quite a few perks that those online sellers cannot. Do you think that the $100k in launch monitors they have in store are free? What about all the trained fitters that fit you for FREE with a purchase? Those also cost money.

2ndswing is a business. They choose to invest in customer service and offer their customers the chance to return all,used equipment for full store credit within 30 days.

If you feel comfortable buying an item blind online without seeing the product or using it and without being properly fit then 2ndswing may not be an ideal store for you but if you do find value in these perks I'd say spend a little extra. The guys at 2ndswing are the best in the industry. As the old saying goes. You get what you pay for.

"No", says they.

-

I hate to be the guy to point out the obvious but you do realize that unlike those eBay stores they offer you quite a few perks that those online sellers cannot. Do you think that the $100k in launch monitors they have in store are free? What about all the trained fitters that fit you for FREE with a purchase? Those also cost money.

2ndswing is a business. They choose to invest in customer service and offer their customers the chance to return all,used equipment for full store credit within 30 days.

If you feel comfortable buying an item blind online without seeing the product or using it and without being properly fit then 2ndswing may not be an ideal store for you but if you do find value in these perks I'd say spend a little extra. The guys at 2ndswing are the best in the industry. As the old saying goes. You get what you pay for.

But what about those that do not live in MN? I would never ever buy a single thing from them on EBAY. Why would I, when they are literally 20-40% more expensive item for item on completed and sold listings on EBAY. Don't really know how they stay in business. Only a fool would buy online used good from them.

"No", says they.

-

How long have you worked at 2nd Swing?

I don't pay full asking price for used anything, ever. New gear is a different animal. I have an associate I intend to make "my guy" so I can return to said haggling. I'm sure the sun will still come up tomorrow. Nice input WRX'ers! Seems like I'm not the only one that likes the game of negotiation.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

I visit Minnesota fairly often and as such I like to stop by 2nd Swing if I drive by a store. The only Club I've purchased from them was a used scratch wedge that just happened to be the exact specs I needed.

I've seen a few ok deals when they weren't charging extra for an exotic shaft, but the prices were pretty close to what I would expect to see on eBay for the same club with that same exotic shaft. One thing I noticed in particular was that they price their irons very high. I saw sets that were used that I can buy new for about the same price.

The staff were always kind and helpful when I was in there. I met several guys that love to talk Golf and definitely knew what they were about. The store was usually pretty full when I went in, so I think they do okay. I think they target the golfers that don't want to buy on ebay or golfwrx, but still want a discount. But it does seem a bit odd that they wouldn't work with you on the price at all. I would bet that if you go back in and talk to a different associate you might get the discount you want. Every time I go in the place is absolutely filled with stuff, often the same stuff that I'm used to seeing, at some point they have to want to move it.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

It's a fun store to visit; I've been going there, although not frequently, for 20 years.

From a business model perspective I like haggle free/ no negotiation, or best price up front. The issue with 2nd Swing is their prices are out of line. I regularly get my new stuff cheaper than they charge for used.

I think they're ideal customer is someone who is aware of the retail prices, but not aware of the current market value. Someone who assumes they are getting a good deal because it's used. Those who watch discounts on unused previous model items probably don't buy from them.

They are a legit fitter. I won't knock their service in this department.

I am a fairly active eBay'er for Golf equipment, and I simply cannot undersatnd how 2nd Swing stays upright (I suppose via their brick-and-mortar and fittings, from what I have heard), -- but as an eBay seller, I do not see how anyone would ever buy anything from them. Item for item, they are sooooo far away from other sellers, it is not even close. 50%-100% more than the average completed/sold listings for like to like items. I know what people are going to say, "then don't buy from them", but it just kind of irks me that they are not even market competitive, -- and if you do your research, even for a newbie buyer (which I am not), you will pay far less. Ok Rant over.

I am a fairly active eBay'er for Golf equipment, and I simply cannot undersatnd how 2nd Swing stays upright (I suppose via their brick-and-mortar and fittings, from what I have heard), -- but as an eBay seller, I do not see how anyone would ever buy anything from them. Item for item, they are sooooo far away from other sellers, it is not even close. 50%-100% more than the average completed/sold listings for like to like items. I know what people are going to say, "then don't buy from them", but it just kind of irks me that they are not even market competitive, -- and if you do your research, even for a newbie buyer (which I am not), you will pay far less. Ok Rant over.

I agree - 3balls or globalgolf are great sources that are considerably cheaper and I've always had great buying experiences with both, quick shipping and clubs arrive in better condition than expected. Also, the deals you can find at either of those sites will hold their own with ebay deals. 2nd Swing isn't even close price-wise.

As they are local, I head over there to try things. Then buy from 3balls, usually.

There are few deals to ever be found at SwingitAgain, sadly.

Titleist 913d3 with a graphite shaft
Titleist 913fd with a 3w shaft
Titleist 910h19 degree with some shaft appropriate to it's use
Titleist Ap2 4-PW with metal shafts
Titleist 52, 56 and 60 wedges w/ shorter metal shafts
Never Compromise TDP 5.2 Putter or a TDP4.2 Putter or a GoLo Putter with a putter shaft

There was an identical thread to this last week. 2nd Swing is hit or miss. You can find deals on Scotty putters there if you wait for the flash sales.

(the 2 threads have been merged, but the point still stands)

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Agreed, the prices aren't competitive compared to their online competition.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

I'm local so I can visit the store or online - I've found they have been willing to negotiate in both forms if you ask them about pricing. There was another thread recently about them stopping any negotiating, so I'm not sure if that's true or not since I haven't been in recently. I think 2nd swing is really solid for club fitting purposes as the Tour Van with GC2, Gears, and Trackman is top notch.

WITB
TaylorMade Tour Issue M5 9.0 Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX
Taylormade Tour issue M4 15* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Taylormade Tour issue 2016 M2 18* 5 wood - Project X Hzrdus Black 95g 6.5
Mizuno MP 25 - 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S
Vokey SM7 50* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey SM6 54* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey SM7 60* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Titleist Pro V1x