Tiger Woods: "No Timetable for my Return to Golf..."

tigers9irontigers9iron Members Posts: 569
Here it is folks, we got info http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/tiger-wont-play-api-no-timetable-return

I would guess he dips his feet in the water over the summer or fall, plays the Hero in December then gives it another go in 2018 at 42.

Comments

• KYMARKYMAR Members Posts: 13,257 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #2
    Theres no timetable.....ummmm......Niiiiice!!!....sorry, checking on my phone for the taylormade deposit..... as i was saying, there is no time table for my return to golf. I'll update you again whenever i feel like it.
    Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
    Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
    Hybrid undecided
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    I think he'd retire if he hadn't signed those deals with TaylorMade and others recently, he has to keep up appearances for the time being.

Also if it was any other sport than golf, he'd just give up. But the fact that players can win in their 40s (even though a lot that were winning in their early 20s generally don't) means that he'll be happy to keep testing it, taking six months out at a time, rather than outright quitting in my opinion.

Don't think it's great for the game though to have him hanging over it like that if it's going to be like this for another five years or more.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    No surprise really.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,462 ✭✭
    Tiger's health and chances of beating Jack's major record has taken a backseat to his ego and bank account. Why did he try to come back early before he was fully healed so many times? His ego. Why did he sign with TaylorMade even though he didn't like any of their irons enough to play a current model? They paid the most. Why did Tiger schedule so many tournaments early on in the season? Because he under a minimum tournament contract and he tried to get a bunch of them out of the way. Why did he fly to Dubai when his back has been iffy? He wanted to get paid. Why was he lifting heavily when his back was barely holding up? Because he wants to be the longest and strongest on Tour still.

Tiger's ego made him what he was up until a few years ago, but now it's killing his career. His back would have been bad either way, but his choices lately aren't helping things out.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Tiger's health and chances of beating Jack's major record has taken a backseat to his ego and bank account. Why did he try to come back early before he was fully healed so many times? His ego. Why did he sign with TaylorMade even though he didn't like any of their irons enough to play a current model? They paid the most. Why did Tiger schedule so many tournaments early on in the season? Because he under a minimum tournament contract and he tried to get a bunch of them out of the way. Why did he fly to Dubai when his back has been iffy? He wanted to get paid. Why was he lifting heavily when his back was barely holding up? Because he wants to be the longest and strongest on Tour still.

Tiger's ego made him what he was up until a few years ago, but now it's killing his career. His back would have been bad either way, but his choices lately aren't helping things out.

Story of most faded stars. Ali and Tyson were similar.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,369 ✭✭
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 4,974 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Hind sight is 20/20.

I have been sick all week, tried to go back to work today. Lasted about 2 hours. Was it my ego that made me go back? No, I wanted to get stuff done, and I thought I felt pretty good. I was wrong.

If there was some manual on how to come back I am sure Tiger would follow it. But as there is no manual, he is making it up as he goes along.
  • skykingskyking Members Posts: 957 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #9
    His cryptic say nothing statements as if he's negotiating with the Russians on some major agreement...well I'm done. Not reading anymore threads about him. Yeah, he doesn't need the money, doesn't need anything but R & R, enjoying his kids and giving the young guns some words of widsom at the Ryder and the like. Adios!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • xflexxflex Banned Posts: 343
    "The guy who never plays....still not playing. Back to you Jim with the weather"
    Taylormade m2 9.5 with Kuro Kage 60x
    915 f 16.5* Diamana blueboard 80x
    816 h 20* Motore speeder 90x
    Mizuno MP4 KBS tour 130x
    Titleist SM6 grey 50, 54, 58 with KBS tour 130x
    Odyssey metal x milled small mallet
  • ctmason_98ctmason_98 TOTALLY outta the bag... Members Posts: 1,827 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #11
    Dave230 wrote:

I think he'd retire if he hadn't signed those deals with TaylorMade and others recently, he has to keep up appearances for the time being.

Also if it was any other sport than golf, he'd just give up. But the fact that players can win in their 40s (even though a lot that were winning in their early 20s generally don't) means that he'll be happy to keep testing it, taking six months out at a time, rather than outright quitting in my opinion.

Don't think it's great for the game though to have him hanging over it like that if it's going to be like this for another five years or more.

I can think of maybe five players in my lifetime who made some official statement or proclamation that they would never again play in a professional tournament. Jack and Arnie come to mind, and that was at extremely advanced age.

Expecting TW to retire officially is never going to happen. There's no reason for him to.
    2bGood wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Hind sight is 20/20.

I have been sick all week, tried to go back to work today. Lasted about 2 hours. Was it my ego that made me go back? No, I wanted to get stuff done, and I thought I felt pretty good. I was wrong.

If there was some manual on how to come back I am sure Tiger would follow it. But as there is no manual, he is making it up as he goes along.

Your illness and tigers 47 million back surgeries, your work done for a company, his ability to (probably) buy that company,.... I mean, there are endless reasons why that analogy isn't very good. Moses makes several good points, primarily in my mind is the early season schedule he tried to put himself through was easily identifiable as a risky course of action.
    Hybrid undecided
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 4,974 ✭✭
    KYMAR wrote:

2bGood wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Hind sight is 20/20.

Your illness and tigers 47 million back surgeries, your work done for a company, his ability to (probably) buy that company,.... I mean, there are endless reasons why that analogy isn't very good. Moses makes several good points, primarily in my mind is the early season schedule he tried to put himself through was easily identifiable as a risky course of action.

I own the company - but if Tiger would like to make an offer I am all ears.
    2bGood wrote:

KYMAR wrote:

2bGood wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Hind sight is 20/20.

I own the company - but if Tiger would like to make an offer I am all ears.

LOL Ill make some calls!
    Hybrid undecided
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭
    At this point, maybe he should set his goals a bit lower than playing. Mabye playing with his kids, and living a normal life should be his goals.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,369 ✭✭
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,462 ✭✭
    caniac6 wrote:

At this point, maybe he should set his goals a bit lower than playing. Mabye playing with his kids, and living a normal life should be his goals.

He's basically said that already. "Anything else I do is gravy." But Tiger still wants to try to win. Why not?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,421 ✭✭
    Winning is embedded deeply into his being. To play and not win has got to hurt.

This is going to sound odd but at his peak I was a fan but mainly because I respected his game - not because I saw him as super-human. I think that so many people placed him on such a high pedestal that it is no wonder his fall has been such a bad one.

Perhaps instead of it being a matter of what personal goals Tiger sets for himself it might be better to look deeply at just what exactly we, as fans, have set as goals for him. I, for one, would love to see him finish an entire tourney, leave smiling and without pain, and interview talking about his next tourney. Win or not just finishing should, at this point, have enormous value.
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,309 ClubWRX
    His next win will probably be on EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour.

Geez...how times have changed.
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,686 ✭✭
    People wonder why I pick on Tiger so much. It's threads like this. Everyone clinging to memories of great golf played... Wait for it....9 years ago.

It's been over for a long time.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• dmac4gdmac4g Members Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #21
    Well, there's always next year....or the year after that! Only took 70 years for the Cubs fans to keep saying it, hopefully it won't take that long to finally come true for Tiger's........
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

2018!

Agreed. In 2018 you'll still be posting this video to make up for the fact that Tiger ain't got it no more
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,783 ✭✭
    He is remaining horizontal on his time table.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,211 ✭✭
    He will be milking this for years. Well kinda already has a bit. The neverending story.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,701 ✭✭
    dmac4g wrote:

Well, there's always next year....or the year after that! Only took 70 years for the Cubs fans to keep saying it, hopefully it won't take that long to finally come true for Tiger's........

It took quite a bit longer than 70 years for Cubs fans my friend. TRUST ME... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • AMM315AMM315 Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2017 #26

People wonder why I pick on Tiger so much. It's threads like this. Everyone clinging to memories of great golf played... Wait for it....9 years ago.

Are you forgetting he won 5 times, which was about 30% of the tournaments he entered, and won player of the year in 13?
    He should just buy into the Golf Channel. He makes them tick as it is,and he's the reason they went from 24/7 infomercials to being big enough that by the late 2000s it was part of everyone's basic cable & satellite packages.

He may as well cash in.

and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:

AMM315 wrote:

Are you forgetting he won 5 times, which was about 30% of the tournaments he entered, and won player of the year in 13?

I didn't forget. But that was a flash in the pan considering he was 5 years removed from his last major.

WITTB:

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,079 ✭✭
    All the greats know when to call it a day with playing professionally.

He has more opportunity with other golf related endeavors. All in all,it is his call,

I look at this as a solid call on his part.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • AMM315AMM315 Members Posts: 223 ✭✭

AMM315 wrote:

I didn't forget. But that was a flash in the pan considering he was 5 years removed from his last major.

Agreed when you compare it to his major runs, but we can't say that winning 5 times in one season isn't great golf!
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,555 ✭✭
    Roger Maltbie should be retiring soon. Tiger might be a good replacement.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS