2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bubba Watson

Matzi

Kind of a rant topic but curious what other people think..

Probably the past year or so Bubba Watson has been just annoying me watching him play. Seems like in his own mind he never makes a mistake and its always the courses fault or someone near him. I've seen him dead center of the fairway, hit a fat shot and ask "is this sod, what is this?". I heard of the "water on the clubface" and watching PGA Tour Live right now, he pulls a 4ft putt and acts like the green was not supposed to make him lip out. Just seems like he makes a lot of excuses. I think his "shot shaping" is pretty ridiculous good and bad. Guy hits drives over 300 yards with essentially a slice, not a "power fade" like the announcers try to proclaim, its a slice. Looks like hes at a bowling alley. Every shot seems like he needs to hook/slice it 40 yards into the hole. I know he said he cant he a straight ball but just think its a bit much I'm sure some people are going to comment and say "he has a couple majors etc". You're right he does but so does Shaun Micheel. Just curious if anyone gets tired of his demeanor on the course.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the past year or so Bubba Watson has been just annoying me watching him play. Seems like in his own mind he never makes a mistake and its always the courses fault or someone near him. I've seen him dead center of the fairway, hit a fat shot and ask "is this sod, what is this?". I heard of the "water on the clubface" and watching PGA Tour Live right now, he pulls a 4ft putt and acts like the green was not supposed to make him lip out. Just seems like he makes a lot of excuses. I think his "shot shaping" is pretty ridiculous good and bad. Guy hits drives over 300 yards with essentially a slice, not a "power fade" like the announcers try to proclaim, its a slice. Looks like hes at a bowling alley. Every shot seems like he needs to hook/slice it 40 yards into the hole. I know he said he cant he a straight ball but just think its a bit much I'm sure some people are going to comment and say "he has a couple majors etc". You're right he does but so does Shaun Micheel. Just curious if anyone gets tired of his demeanor on the course.

He's the American Ian Poulter.

Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

Here we go again...

#PrayForTedScott

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He's not a fan favourite... thats for sure. That being said, there was an article or a segment that one of the differences between a pro and a weekend golfer is they typically always blame the course and never themselves especially when putting. Some are more verbal than others but most of the time its not their fault.

Lastly I'm not a bubba fan but you cant compare him to Shaun Micheel. Micheel has 2 wins and 1 is a major. Bubba has 9 wins, and 2 majors. He also has ADHD which rubs people the wrong way. People without ADHD do not understand why this "person" does not have a filter or why they never shut up, have an attention span of a puppy etc.

Well, the "slice" is intentional, so idk what you'd really wanna call it I guess. Him and Phil are reminiscent of one another in their games, IMO. Both are incredible golfers, but it seems like a lot has to come together for them to win. They both have more shot shaping ability than arguably anyone else on tour, but at the same time, they never see a straight line, and it seems like simple situations become complicated.

His attitude was a much larger turnoff for me as well, till finding out a little more about the guy, and realizing how uncomfortable he is at all times when there's people around, and I mean legitimately uncomfortable and he can't help that. I think he just does his best to remain quiet, vs some of the more vocal and vulgar golfers out on tour. I'm not making excuses for him, but there's more going on than people realize with Bubba.

I guess, to me, he does a lot of good, charitable work off the course that make me believe he's a good guy. He puts actual time in to helping people, beyond doing things monetarily, which is charitable, yes, but also doubles as write-offs, which is the sad truth behind some of the giving that many people do.

I'll agree that he's a bit odd though, no doubt.

He seems to love his family, is generous with his time and money for those in need............like all of us, he has issues that keep him from being perfect.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Yup. What else actually matters? People live and die to watch some other people golf and succeed, who have proven on more than one or two occasions that they really aren't that great of people. It's hard not to be a fan of the best players, but I'm still more inclined to be a fan of good people than people who are just good golfers.

He's not a fan favourite... thats for sure. That being said, there was an article or a segment that one of the differences between a pro and a weekend golfer is they typically always blame the course and never themselves especially when putting. Some are more verbal than others but most of the time its not their fault.

Lastly I'm not a bubba fan but you cant compare him to Shaun Micheel. Micheel has 2 wins and 1 is a major. Bubba has 9 wins, and 2 majors. He also has ADHD which rubs people the wrong way. People without ADHD do not understand why this "person" does not have a filter or why they never shut up, have an attention span of a puppy etc.

I wasnt aware that he has ADHD. He kind of reminds me of Mr.Bean. I've read that the tour players don't always like playing with him but outside of golf he is all right. My point with Shaun Micheel is that he has won a major but did nothing other than that. Some people judge a players success whether or not they have majors or not, sort of like other sports and having rings.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

This thread again?

Bubba seems like he could be a bit aggravating sometimes but he has redeeming features too. And he does seem to have some real social anxieties which probably explain a lot of his quirky behaviour.

Can we just all agree that somewhere right now, he is probably whipping Ted Scott in a 50-shades style Red room while pretending not to hear his safe word?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It was nice to see Gerry reaching out to his European fans by wearing that hideous Kjus rain suit this morning.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I have to be honest. I like him alt more than a lot of players out there. He's imperfect. Sure. But he's consistent. What we see is a real person. Wears his emotions on his sleeve for all to see. He's very socially awkward , and likely has an undiagnosed " condition". But he's a genius with a golf club in his hand. Don't like him. ? Don't watch !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I wasnt aware that he has ADHD. He kind of reminds me of Mr.Bean. I've read that the tour players don't always like playing with him but outside of golf he is all right. My point with Shaun Micheel is that he has won a major but did nothing other than that. Some people judge a players success whether or not they have majors or not, sort of like other sports and having rings.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/golfers-add-pga-tour-could-be-thriving-because-it

He used to have a lake house near Lexington, NC, and would play and practice at a course in the Thomasville, High Point, Winston-Salem area. People there said he really went out of his way to help, and be nice to kids at the course. He does seem to be a bit different, but I don't care. It sure is fun to see some of the shots he hits.

I'd like to think I'm a good person who cares about people and wants to help any way I can. I've behaved poorly many times (though not regularly) and done things that weren't so caring or good.

Wait....I'm no different than Bubba....and I graduated from UGA too? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, I graduated sooner than he did....that's one!

Insert internet psychological diagnosis here ________________________

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Bubba is OK. He can be a bit annoying, but all of us can at one point or another. As far as the blaming the course thing, I think that is a trait of top level professional athletes. To compete at this level you must have unwavering confidence in yourself. Blaming yourself for something weakens that confidence therefore you never do it. There is alway another cause.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

Beyond the social anxiety issues he clearly has, and how being watched by strangers for several hours probably affects him, here's a thought - externalizing a poor result on the golf course could be a mental trick he uses so he doesn't get emotionally overwhelmed by blaming himself for everything. If, in his mind, it's not his fault he might be able to mentally move on quicker to the next shot.

He's the American Ian Poulter.

Bubba wins golf tournaments though.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I just want to know when it is safe to put him in play on my fantasy golf team. He seems to be struggling quite a bit as of late; I was wondering if he had an injury I didn't hear about.

Anyway, Bubba is a character, PGA Tour definitely lacks in the character department.

Can't hate on a guy who takes this in stride:

http://www.foxsports.com/golf/story/bubba-watson-masters-fan-heckler-041816

And the crying! Classic television!

A few lessons might help him out. The Q&A with his caddy was quite revealing.

I think this is well documented in a few other threads.

I will say that he just hasn't been as good the last couple years. He definitely is not playing as well with those volvik balls, and people are going to say that's not what it is but I guarantee that's playing a roll in his modest play.

Unless he has an issue in his head about them, the Volviks are the least of his worries. Tour balls are all so similar these days it makes zero difference what brand you play, and even if a tour players game was so precise that they could notice the most minute differences between balls, they would adapt very quickly and get used to it. Your argument would have had merit back in the days guys like Stewart went from a wound ball to a solid, but these days moving from one multi layer urethane ball to another is not an issue imo.

I love people saying he has ADHD. You can't "probably have ADD". People are saying he is what he is because of it and he's never been diagnosed? I call bullsh**. He's just an a**.

Are you saying people with ADHD act like asses? Or are you just calling someone an a** that you've never met and only seen a couple times on TV broadcasts?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip