Dave Stockton 940 Holes without a 3-putt

ablewalker

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that is incredible. If i add my putts up after a round and there are no 3 putts I am telling my friends, texting my son, telling the beer girl, the cart boy, the starter, strangers who look reasonably unlikely to mace me. I mean it's a big deal.

That's ONE round. FIFTY-TWO rounds and change? ...

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I remember a story from years ago in which it was claimed that Nicklaus played an entire PGA Tour season without a three putt. No idea if true but it was sometime in the 60s.

Since it's Nicklaus....I guess I'll believe it.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I remember a story from years ago in which it was claimed that Nicklaus played an entire PGA Tour season without a three putt. No idea if true but it was sometime in the 60s.

I heard the same thing and could never find any verification cuz it was before they kept those particular records and I asked Jack in 2012 and he said yea and he said that he also had two other seasons with one 3-putt in em. The only thing I'll say is while Jack is my GOAT and he probably didn't start the talk of this complete season with no 3-putts, he is also the guy who stood in front of a presser in So Cali and stated that he had never ever missed a putt from 5' or in with either the lead or the Tourney on the line, when in fact there was a video clip of him doing just that with the Tourney on the line and he finished T3 less than a month before.

He wouldn't give an inch and the reporter dropped it and in speaking to Rotella, who was in the back of the room following the presser, Rotella said that absolutely, IN JACK'S MIND, he had never missed a putt of 5' or in under those conditions as he totally wiped them from his mind and that was what made Jack Jack.

Well, I already new this story when I asked him about the season so I wasn't exactly surprised with his answer.

I asked Mr. Palmer about it and he replied, "Could've, Jack had nerves of iron back then."

What's really amazing about ANY of these putting feats from the 60-70's is that the greens were not nearly as smooth back then and the long Putting strokes of today couldn't even have been used on those greens back then.

Dave Stockton's record is even more incredible because of that factor. I was stunned when I read that. Regarding Jack's stuff? He was Great no doubt but his supposed putting feats can't verified by anyone but Jack, lol. Based just off of what we know from the 5' putts from the presser, I'll reserve judgement on that one, lmao

Have a great weekend?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

RP, flip side to the "greens not as good" discussion is that most 3putts are caused by poor speed on the first putt. Slower greens it's easier to get the first putt in the neighborhood. Less chance of a putt getting away from you.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

What's really amazing about ANY of these putting feats from the 60-70's is that the greens were not nearly as smooth back then and the long Putting strokes of today couldn't even have been used on those greens back then.

RP, I started playing as a kid back in the late 1970s, and there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that greens were more difficult to putt back then, and so much of that was due to the marks left by the metal spikes which were ubiquitous back in the day. I know there's been a lot of whining about the effects of alternative spikes which dominate today, but at least as far as the municipal course level, I know that I've noticed an improvement over how true the greens roll in general compared to, say, 20-25 years ago.

I realize that at Tour level, players still have the option to use metal, but those numbers are shrinking every year, based on my own personal observation at events I get to attend.

Fowler went 57 from 57 inside 7ft on the way to winning the Honda. Some of the putting stats these guys put together are just unreal.

As I've slowly come to realize how incredible these guys are on the greens, I've kind of tailored my own practice routine to primarily focus on a 50/50 mix of 4-8' putts to develop confidence and trust in the stroke, and 30'+ putts just to get a better feel for proper speed.

RP, flip side to the "greens not as good" discussion is that most 3putts are caused by poor speed on the first putt. Slower greens it's easier to get the first putt in the neighborhood. Less chance of a putt getting away from you.

Yea, but if you Played the greens in those days, it was not just a matter of slower greens, which as you say, a slower green is generally easier for most on the first putts, however it was INCONSISTENT slow greens, lmao, as the equipment was not as exacting in its cutting and I am speaking to the top of the food chain tracks like Oakmont or our place and I know Pete's goat track was a friggin nightmare though his track is where I did most of my practicing because when I got to my club or Oakmont it was easier to adapt, however Oakmont was always cut faster than the rest and they actually still regularly used the presses. Then ya through in VJ's point and it's a great point about the spike marks and you had the recipe for a very long day on the greens. This was the reason for the shorter "pop" strokes though I still had some of that in my current stroke.

So all things being equal, yea, for most slower greens are easier though I and quite a few Guys preferred the faster greens because we wer dialed into those speeds, that is if all things being equal and consistent, and back in the day they were neither.

Bro, quick question~

Do you always take the devil's advocate with anything that I say/post cuz I'm a dick and you like ****** with me or is this your natural personality???????

Maddie says it's cuz I'm a dick??

I'm just messin with ya ?

Have a great weekend!!

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Not bad.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I heard the same thing and could never find any verification cuz it was before they kept those particular records and I asked Jack in 2012 and he said yea and he said that he also had two other seasons with one 3-putt in em. The only thing I'll say is while Jack is my GOAT and he probably didn't start the talk of this complete season with no 3-putts, he is also the guy who stood in front of a presser in So Cali and stated that he had never ever missed a putt from 5' or in with either the lead or the Tourney on the line, when in fact there was a video clip of him doing just that with the Tourney on the line and he finished T3 less than a month before.

He wouldn't give an inch and the reporter dropped it and in speaking to Rotella, who was in the back of the room following the presser, Rotella said that absolutely, IN JACK'S MIND, he had never missed a putt of 5' or in under those conditions as he totally wiped them from his mind and that was what made Jack Jack.

Well, I already new this story when I asked him about the season so I wasn't exactly surprised with his answer.

I asked Mr. Palmer about it and he replied, "Could've, Jack had nerves of iron back then."

Dave Stockton's record is even more incredible because of that factor. I was stunned when I read that. Regarding Jack's stuff? He was Great no doubt but his supposed putting feats can't verified by anyone but Jack, lol. Based just off of what we know from the 5' putts from the presser, I'll reserve judgement on that one, lmao

Have a great weekend

My Best,

RP

Richard....I've decided that since there are only a few more credible sources on this Forum that you and I....That Jack Nicklaus did indeed go one entire PGA Tour season without a three putt.

So let it be written...so let it be decreed.

Hope you're feeling better.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Yea, but if you Played the greens in those days, it was not just a matter of slower greens, which as you say, a slower green is generally easier for most on the first putts, however it was INCONSISTENT slow greens, lmao, as the equipment was not as exacting in its cutting and I am speaking to the top of the food chain tracks like Oakmont or our place and I know Pete's goat track was a friggin nightmare though his track is where I did most of my practicing because when I got to my club or Oakmont it was easier to adapt, however Oakmont was always cut faster than the rest and they actually still regularly used the presses. Then ya through in VJ's point and it's a great point about the spike marks and you had the recipe for a very long day on the greens. This was the reason for the shorter "pop" strokes though I still had some of that in my current stroke.

So all things being equal, yea, for most slower greens are easier though I and quite a few Guys preferred the faster greens because we wer dialed into those speeds, that is if all things being equal and consistent, and back in the day they were neither.

Bro, quick question~

Do you always take the devil's advocate with anything that I say/post cuz I'm a dick and you like ****** with me or is this your natural personality???????

Have a great weekend!!

My Best,

Richard

I'm older than you so yeah, I played those greens.

As to the personality part, well, you can be and so can I. :)

Back to the greens...I really do think it pretty much comes out to a wash. All the way around the course really. Equipment is better and longer but the courses are set up week to week longer and more difficult.

Have a great weekend?

My Best,

RP

Richard....I've decided that since there are only a few more credible sources on this Forum that you and I....That Jack Nicklaus did indeed go one entire PGA Tour season without a three putt.

So let it be written...so let it be decreed.

Hope you're feeling better.

My Tour Bud was with us(he was the reason that I was there) and I asked him afterward what he thought and his response was poignant and succinct....

"Do you want to be the one who tells Jack Nicklaus, "Mr. Nicklaus, I think that you're full of ****." ???

I let it go, lmao

Also, I just got off of the phone with Bob Ford, who called to wish me the Best with this chemo later today and I asked him about it and he said yep, it's a fact and his old boss, Lew Worsham(he out Sammed Sam for the US Open Title at Oakmont) told him about it and Lew was also the other Pro besides Hogan who had one 3-putt in a season(they Played far fewer tournaments but they all said that the greens were even more inconsistent back in the 1930-50's than the 60-70's) was the one who told him.

And so it is fact, lolol

If I don't screw things up between now and Sunday and if my chemo goes ok this afternoon, I'm outa here Sunday morning/afternoon

Thanks for the thoughts?

All the Best,

RP

Bro, quick question~

Have a great weekend!!

My Best,

Richard

Back to the greens...I really do think it pretty much comes out to a wash. All the way around the course really. Equipment is better and longer but the courses are set up week to week longer and more difficult.

This is an individual thing as I also asked Bob how the green's conditions were for Oakmont today versus the 70's and he laughing asked "did you just get your meds," lol, and his track was at the top of the heap.

I don't know any Players who would say that the Greens in the 70's were near the shape of today's Greens as far as consistency and conditions and I am not speaking to any other part of the course, only the greens. The mere fact that today's stroke would not work well back than and a true "pop," not the modified one that I and some of these guys have, but a true short wristy "pop."

However Madison just texted me and lovingly said to "STFU" so I'll end I'll this with how I end our discussions, "whatever you say," lol

You are right and I'm mistaken :)

In all seriousness, if there's another Player in the thread who thinks the greens of the 70's are on par and "a wash" with the greens of today, please speak up-

Have a nice day?

My Best,

RP

I love Jack but at this point I don't put a lot of stock into anything he says. Seems to have very selective memory (which explains part of why he was so great). The greens on the PGA Tour are so good now, there are going to be a handful of guys every week that put up some insane putting stats. In college I once went one tournament (3 rounds) without a 3 putt and never missing inside 10 feet. Wish I could find that magic again!

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I love Jack but at this point I don't put a lot of stock into anything he says. Seems to have very selective memory (which explains part of why he was so great). The greens on the PGA Tour are so good now, there are going to be a handful of guys every week that put up some insane putting stats. In college I once went one tournament (3 rounds) without a 3 putt and never missing inside 10 feet. Wish I could find that magic again!

That is insane, lol!!

I couldn't visualize no 3-putts, 3 Tourney rounds, no misses inside of 10' if I was non-medicated and in total solitude, lol

Those kinds of days are incredible and you spend the rest of your life trying to repeat it or bring it back-

Jack's not as bad as The Original FIGJAM though, haha.

Madison loves him but that's just because of his accent, he told her all these wear stories about beatin Jack and Arnie(I betcha Jack & Mr. Palmer never spoke of beating FIGJAM) and he cooed over her ;)

I missed the round cuz my flight was late but that's one that I never cared about. Yea, it would have been nice but I never cared for him much so I didn't miss much, except every time she sees him on TV she's coos about what a Gentleman that he was ;)

Have a great season and may some of the magic return!!

My Best,

RP

Bro, quick question~

Do you always take the devil's advocate with anything that I say/post cuz I'm a dick and you like ****** with me or is this your natural personality???

Maddie says it's cuz I'm a dick

I'm just messin with ya

Have a great weekend!!

My Best,

Richard

This is an individual thing as I also asked Bob how the green's conditions were for Oakmont today versus the 70's and he laughing asked "did you just get your meds," lol, and his track was at the top of the heap.

I don't know any Players who would say that the Greens in the 70's were near the shape of today's Greens as far as consistency and conditions and I am not speaking to any other part of the course, only the greens. The mere fact that today's stroke would not work well back than and a true "pop," not the modified one that I and some of these guys have, but a true short wristy "pop."

However Madison just texted me and lovingly said to "STFU" so I'll end I'll this with how I end our discussions, "whatever you say," lol

You are right and I'm mistaken :)

In all seriousness, if there's another Player in the thread who thinks the greens of the 70's are on par and "a wash" with the greens of today, please speak up-

Have a nice day

My Best,

RP

Yes the greens are much better today, geez, that's a no brainer. I was only referring to three putt avoidance.

Go get treated and get your rear home. We're all praying for you.

I'm trying to think back to my longest run without a three putt.

It has to be four or five holes, at least.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

I started playing in the end of the metal spikes days and think it was a non-factor. The improvements in agronomy and the emphasis on speed and condition are why modern greens are smoother and faster than ever.

All things being equal I would say the feat of avoiding three putts would be equally impressive day-to-day and year-to-year. It says more to me about managing your miss, proximity to the hole, speed control, and nerves than just "putting" but I firmly believe that there are no card carrying pros that putt particularly poorly. They have their moments but what largely distinguishes them from "players" is putting.

For all you youngsters, here is a stroll down memory lane of how we used to do it...

So when you say guys back then couldn't chip and putt, remember my hero and fellow Texan.

http://youtu.be/urdUwammrEM

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape