McIlroy's Hypocricy

Sean2

If Rory is going to call out Miurfield, why not the UAE where homosexuality is illegal, where a woman was raped, and then jailed for having sex outside of marriage, and so on?

A lot of sponsor money flows into the UAE (HSBC, Rolex, Omega...to name a few), along with having some pretty big golf tournaments.

Rory, if you are going to call our Miurfield then call out the UAE as well.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is different because the UAE has aspects of Islamic law built into its society.

EDIT: Also considering that HSBC is UAE's top bank, and I'm sure a top consumer of Rolex products, Rory will definitely lose a sponsor or two speaking out against UAE laws.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

I think it is different because the UAE has aspects of Islamic law built into its society.

EDIT: Also considering that HSBC is UAE's top bank, and I'm sure a top consumer of Rolex products, Rory will definitely lose a sponsor or two speaking out against UAE laws.

I'm inferring that's exactly Sean's point- Rory's safe,selective outrage

Callaway RazrFit 10.5*  Matrix Radix HD 6S

Ping G5 13.5* 2d Driver   Aerotech Power Coil 50S

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Yes. If one is going to be "outraged" by Miurfield, than one should be even more so at how some people are treated in other parts of the world.

Sean2..you got a point....and i totally agree...if you strongly believe your values are it...then it shouldn't be according to geography. All should be despicable..and they are..

i absolutely hate it when minority males especially try to slight women and somehow claim racism or something..whiles refusing to see the same prejudice against others.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Sean2..you got a point....and i totally agree...if you strongly believe your values are it...then it shouldn't be according to geography. All should be despicable..and they are

For sure. And, this if a golf related thread. McIlroy has a big influence on a lot of golfers, especially young ones. By not calling out the UAE he is, in effect, supporting those kinds of policies.

Most selective outrage has nothing to do with the stated objection.

Women wanting to be members of elite male only golf clubs is about the principal.

None of them actually want to play golf regularly on one of the most difficult courses in the world.

Therein lies the reason for Rory's comments.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Most selective outrage has nothing to do with the stated objection.

Women wanting to be members of elite male only golf clubs is about the principal.

None of them actually want to play golf regularly on one of the most difficult courses in the world.

Therein lies the reason for Rory's comments.

Texsport

Where exactly do "Elite Male Only golf clubs" belong in today's society?

How do you know they don't want to play golf regularly?

Is having female members somehow going to make it less elite...?

By not calling out the UAE he is, in effect, supporting those kinds of policies.

totally disagree.

rory is a golfer. yes, he has a grander stage from which to speak. but just because he doesn't cry outrage at human rights violations at every place he goes, does NOT mean he supports those acts.

spare me your false sense of indignation.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Who doesn't like a good SJW thread?

Since we're talking politics and religion, this is destined for the lock, but before then...

It's really simple. Asked a question on a topic. Answered question on a topic.

Get someone to ask him a question about playing tournaments in parts of the world that discriminate against others and have laws denying people basic rights - such as the U.A.E. and the U.S.A. - have him juxtapose that answer with his Muirfield one.

Based on his reply, there may be some basis for referring to his actions in a derogatory manner or there may not be. Right now there isn't. Not by a long shot.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

By not calling out the UAE he is, in effect, supporting those kinds of policies.

totally disagree.

rory is a golfer. yes, he has a grander stage from which to speak. but just because he doesn't cry outrage at human rights violations at every place he goes, does NOT mean he supports those acts.

Nothing false about my indignation. Spare you I will not.

There is a conflation between the two, if you can't see that more's the pity.

totally disagree.

when's the last time you stood up on a soapbox in your hometown and railed to the world about the injustices that were happening in it?

and if you're conflating women's access to a GOLF CLUB to women being raped and murdered, YOU are the one who has a problem with eyesight.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Since we're talking politics and religion, this is destined for the lock, but before then...

Get someone to ask him a question about playing tournaments in parts of the world that discriminate against others and have laws denying people basic rights - such as the U.A.E. and the U.S.A. - have him juxtapose that answer with his Muirfield one.

Based on his reply, there may be some basis for referring to his actions in a derogatory manner or there may not be. Right now there isn't. Not by a long shot.

SJW? lol

The media won't ask him about the UAE because it would probably be viewed as not very PC. And, most of the media is very PC. There are narratives that must be adhered to.

Miurfield is an easy one to be outraged about, and everyone will nod their heads at how sage you are, how great it is you stand up for the rights of the "oppressed".

The point is McIlroy has a big stage, and his selectivity while on that stage seems quite self-serving, i.e., he gains a lot of points with the general public, and the golf world in particular. As far as the UAE is concerned the vast majority of people probably never heard of it, however, those who play golf have. And, probably those who are aware of it, don't know the politics.

Trump's courses get boycotted, yet a nation that has done a lot worse than Trump gets a pass. The faux outrage and hypocrisy is breathtaking.

You can't have it both ways. Either you condemn all those who violate the common dictates of decency or you keep your mouth shut.

This all reeks of "situational ethics". In this case the situation with Miurfield is easy pickings, however the situation with the UAE is not: hey, that could cost some folks some money...so let's not rock the boat.

You either have principles or you don't. You either have ethics or you don't. There are no half measures.

totally disagree.

when's the last time you stood up on a soapbox in your hometown and railed to the world about the injustices that were happening in it?

and if you're conflating women's access to a GOLF CLUB to women being raped and murdered, YOU are the one who has a problem with eyesight.

This is a very strange subject. Rory called out a golf club on its archaic membership policy as he has the right to do as a top golfer, why he should feel the need to call out countries on their legal system I don't know, he isn't Trump. If this was Theresa May who had made the comments then fair enough but it was Rory, a golfer, talking about a golf club, nothing more or less. Whilst those aspects of the UAE legal system are definitely off key it's not for Rory to

tackle.

totally disagree.

You know nothing about me.

Your last sentence makes my argument for me. Thank you.

totally disagree.

This is a very strange subject. Rory called out a golf club on its archaic membership policy as he has the right to do as a top golfer, why he should feel the need to call out countries on their legal system I don't know, he isn't Trump. If this was Theresa May who had made the comments then fair enough but it was Rory, a golfer, talking about a golf club, nothing more or less. Whilst those aspects of the UAE legal system are definitely off key it's not for Rory to

tackle.

It's not like he has to call out North Korea...he doesn't play golf there...he does, however, play golf in the UAE. That is why the two are linked.

It's an interesting thought, I mean we can all oppose things, but at the end of the day were all mostly full of crap. Almost everyone posting in this thread or reading this thread has bought products from companies or countries that have done bad things. Whether it be using contract manufacturing that is dangerously close to slave labor, or buying from countries that oppress their people.

I mean he answered a question with hoe he felt. But feeling something and acting on it to try and cause change are massively different things

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Selective consistency at its finest here.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

SJW? lol

The media won't ask him about the UAE because it would probably be viewed as not very PC. And, most of the media is very PC. There are narratives that must be adhered to.

Miurfield is an easy one to be outraged about, and everyone will nod their heads at how sage you are, how great it is you stand up for the rights of the "oppressed".

The point is McIlroy has a big stage, and his selectivity while on that stage seems quite self-serving, i.e., he gains a lot of points with the general public, and the golf world in particular. As far as the UAE is concerned the vast majority of people probably never heard of it, however, those who play golf have. And, probably those who are aware of it, don't know the politics.

Trump's courses get boycotted, yet a nation that has done a lot worse than Trump gets a pass. The faux outrage and hypocrisy is breathtaking.

You can't have it both ways. Either you condemn all those who violate the common dictates of decency or you keep your mouth shut.

This all reeks of "situational ethics". In this case the situation with Miurfield is easy pickings, however the situation with the UAE is not: hey, that could cost some folks some money...so let's not rock the boat.

You either have principles or you don't. You either have ethics or you don't. There are no half measures.

How does any of this make someone a hypocrite for answering a question?

You said someone was being hypocritical for how they answered a specific question on a topic and then you follow that up with a huge non-sequitur about the media and the economy.

Isn't a less bad attempt at making an association the 2017 PGA Championship and then the next Olympics golf venue in Japan?

Even still, until he has been asked a question about those subjects or offered up an opinion on them, and then most importantly acts in someway that contradicts his answers, there is still no way to call someone a hypocrite in this instance.

Just so you don't have to look it up, I'll put the definition here, and then can you try and apply it to Rory's comments at the press conference this week:

- An expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction

- Insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yes. If one is going to be "outraged" by Miurfield, than one should be even more so at how some people are treated in other parts of the world.

I agree fully with your opinion about the poor treatment of women in the UAE but this has nothing to do with golf. Rory has commented on a golf industry issue, nothing more, nothing less.

You put these guys on such a pedestal its sickening. they hit a ball for a living. Instead of hanging on to every word a 27 year old says maybe you should focus on bettering your own life so other random people can criticize you

Well, that kinda just happened actually!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique