2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Mid-Am Circuit

Apex93

Does anybody here play in (or know about) any of the major mid-amateur invitational tournaments on the "mid-am circuit". Comps like Carlton Woods, George Thomas, Travis, Crump Cup, etc.?

I'd love to get some color on how to get involved, as it is a long-term goal of mine. How does one start to get invited (or, how did YOU get invited)?

The way I would assume it goes is to perform well in your state am/mid-am/open, and ultimately qualify for the US Mid-am/am/open. After that? Just wait around? Do you call/write people and ask to be considered? Do you have to "know" someone?

As a related question, each time I have registered for a USGA event, it asks if I want to make myself eligible for the world amateur golf rankings - is this extremely important for someone who is just starting out on these (and is more of an "also-ran")?

The way I see it is, if I were to even get through the qualifiers for a USGA event, I wouldn't make the match play (....YET!), so I'd be ranked somewhere around 6,000+ in the world. Are the people who set the fields going to be dissuaded by my terrible ranking and lack of experience? Or, is a WAGR a prerequisite for even being considered? Basically, should I bother getting ranked?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts/experiences on the subject. Thanks and hope it is ok to post this in the Tour Forum! Because it's like the Tour, just minus the flat-bellies...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a guy who has done it. He's a good instagram follow also. Maybe reach out to him for thoughts?

http://www.johnsawingolf.com/

John won the PA State Am in 2014 when it was over at Oakmont-

He Plays out of Merion and is a Hell of a Player-

In answer to your question, yes, you want to make yourself eligible to be ranked. You have to start somewhere and to be ranked is better than no ranking-

You are correct-

The best way to get noticed is to actually plant the tee, Play well in the state open and USGA/Affiliated events, improve your ranking and go from there-

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Have a good buddy that won the USGA mid am in 08 I believe. He got tons of invites to big time amateur stuff after that. I played in it in 14 and missed match play but no invites for me after that. About the only thing I have gotten was at the USGA 4 ball. My buddy and I made match play and in our locker was a card for the Carolina Invitational. We didnt go but I thought it was cool to get something like that. I dont know if its a real big deal but was just neat to see something like that.

I am not sure how other state mid ams stack up but ours here carries some WAGR points but there is no qualifying process to get in, just fill out application. Winning it does not get invites to any prestigious am or mid am events.

I would guess sending in a playing resume and maybe getting on a waiting list would be the easiest way of getting to these events. my buddies and I always say the hardest part of winning a USGA event has to be the qualifying process. 40 or so good players for 1 or 2 spots is tough to get into. The year I went I shot 68 and won a 2 person playoff. The next year I shot 71 and got beat in a 5 person playoff. Keep trying to qualify and playing in state ams, mid ams, opens, etc...

I play this kind of stuff. The Carlton Woods Invitational is a fantastic tournament. Finished 13th my first year playing. 7400 yard course -- and I'm a short hitter!

To get in to these types of tournaments: Send your playing resume. If you haven't done well in some legitimate regional stuff, then you probably won't get in unless they are low on entries. There is just nothing like this stuff. The top-notch ones (like the Carlton Woods) treat you like Tour players. Just amazing.

At the Carlton Woods, almost all of the players are legit plus cappers with strong playing resumes and top finishes in local and regional events.

What kind of player are you, Apex?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I play this kind of stuff. The Carlton Woods Invitational is a fantastic tournament. Finished 13th my first year playing. 7400 yard course -- and I'm a short hitter!

To get in to these types of tournaments: Send your playing resume. If you haven't done well in some legitimate regional stuff, then you probably won't get in unless they are low on entries. There is just nothing like this stuff. The top-notch ones (like the Carlton Woods) treat you like Tour players. Just amazing.

At the Carlton Woods, almost all of the players are legit plus cappers with strong playing resumes and top finishes in local and regional events.

Good stuff, everybody. Thank you!

I was a decent junior, but didn't play in college, so I'm not really part of a peer group that is clued into "the scene". Got back into the game seriously a few years ago (after a 10 year school/work/life break), and started entering comps about 4 years ago - to which I give a lot of credit to Obee's posts here! I do alright in my state - I frequently qualify for state ams and mid-ams, but I'm not yet in the hunt to win the things. Have won my club championship, etc. I was a stroke off US Open local qualifying two years ago, and lost a playoff for the last spot in the qualifier for the US mid-am last year, which are probably my best performances, but I can't imagine that looks impressive on a "playing resume". Handicap is barely-a-plus, but that is mostly tournament rounds and my game seems to travel well.

Looks like my first steps should be putting together a playing resume, entering more tournaments, and getting a WAGR. Oh, and continuing to improve...

Any guidance on what can/should be included on a "playing resume"? Or should NOT be included? Do I include my poor scores from strong events or just cherry pick what looks impressive?

Good stuff, everybody. Thank you!

I was a decent junior, but didn't play in college, so I'm not really part of a peer group that is clued into "the scene". Got back into the game seriously a few years ago (after a 10 year school/work/life break), and started entering comps about 4 years ago - to which I give a lot of credit to Obee's posts here! I do alright in my state - I frequently qualify for state ams and mid-ams, but I'm not yet in the hunt to win the things. Have won my club championship, etc. I was a stroke off US Open local qualifying two years ago, and lost a playoff for the last spot in the qualifier for the US mid-am last year, which are probably my best performances, but I can't imagine that looks impressive on a "playing resume". Handicap is barely-a-plus, but that is mostly tournament rounds and my game seems to travel well.

Looks like my first steps should be putting together a playing resume, entering more tournaments, and getting a WAGR. Oh, and continuing to improve...

Any guidance on what can/should be included on a "playing resume"? Or should NOT be included? Do I include my poor scores from strong events or just cherry pick what looks impressive?

Cherry pick what looks impressive. And I would say there's a decent chance you can get into some nice tournaments. Qualifying for state ams and mid-ams is a pretty big deal, so congrats on that. You're exactly the kind of player they want in these tournaments. Of course a decent resume AND a letter of rec from either a member or someone who has played in the tournament before is always better than a resume alone. :-)

How old are ya Bro?

Great stuff by Obes and excellent suggestion by Ozark!

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Sub 40. Barely...

Sub 40 is still young, barely or not. You're not even 480 months old yet.

The pains in my back and my three-day hangovers would beg to differ...

Does the mid-am circuit test for NSAIDs?

No, but I think they count your clubs & check your prostate when you report for your tee time. :fie:

Speaking of prostate exams, my father gave me the ole prostate exam this morning-

It gives a whole new meaning to someone giving you the finger-

And that was the highlight

At least my prostrate's ok, lol

Today sucked ;)

All the Best,

RP

Sub 40. Barely...

Sub 40 is still young, barely or not. You're not even 480 months old yet.

The pains in my back and my three-day hangovers would beg to differ...

Does the mid-am circuit test for NSAIDs?

No, but I think they count your clubs & check your prostate when you report for your tee time. :fie:

Speaking of prostate exams, my father gave me the ole prostate exam this morning-

It gives a whole new meaning to someone giving you the finger-

And that was the highlight

At least my prostrate's ok, lol

Today sucked ;)

All the Best,

RP

Well, that sucks, Richard!

From a glass-half-full perspective.... it probably sucked worse for your old man - poor guy probably thought he was done with that when you were 2....

Kidding - glad at least part of you checks out OK. Be good!

I play on the "mid am circuit" and have played in 7 Carlton Woods Invitationals (4th is my highest finish), the International Invitational in Florida, multiple Champions Cups, multiple Peach Invitationals (finished 4th last year) multiple Williams Invitationals, The William Fownes 2 ball, Anderson Cup and won multiple Club Championships at various clubs match and stroke. Basically you have to start by going the USGA route and qualifying to get to the Big tourney or start winning Club Championships in the Championship bracket at a large club. writing a letter to a tournament committee can help but it helps if you know a current player that get's invited. Have THEM vouch for you and talk to the tournament committee about getting in the next year and that usually is the best route. Anyone can get their club pro to write a letter and anyone can write a heart felt letter but having legit players tell a tournament committee "Hey this guy needs to be in this event" is invaluable. Things like the Coleman, Crump Cup...just forget about it. Seriously. If you have to ask how then you won't get in. those two are two of the hardest tournaments to get in ever. One of my closest friends is the 7 time club champ at Oakmont CC (championship division) and more than anyone in the history of the club. The head pro at Oakmont AND Seminole is Bob Ford...He has never been invited to the Coleman and has won multiple large events, qualified for multiple USGA events. He and I have partnered in many events together with modest success and even he has a tough time. I've never even tried. Richard knows who I am talking about.

I play on the "mid am circuit" and have played in 7 Carlton Woods Invitationals (4th is my highest finish), the International Invitational in Florida, multiple Champions Cups, multiple Peach Invitationals (finished 4th last year) multiple Williams Invitationals, The William Fownes 2 ball, Anderson Cup and won multiple Club Championships at various clubs match and stroke. Basically you have to start by going the USGA route and qualifying to get to the Big tourney or start winning Club Championships in the Championship bracket at a large club. writing a letter to a tournament committee can help but it helps if you know a current player that get's invited. Have THEM vouch for you and talk to the tournament committee about getting in the next year and that usually is the best route. Anyone can get their club pro to write a letter and anyone can write a heart felt letter but having legit players tell a tournament committee "Hey this guy needs to be in this event" is invaluable. Things like the Coleman, Crump Cup...just forget about it. Seriously. If you have to ask how then you won't get in. those two are two of the hardest tournaments to get in ever. One of my closest friends is the 7 time club champ at Oakmont CC (championship division) and more than anyone in the history of the club. The head pro at Oakmont AND Seminole is Bob Ford...He has never been invited to the Coleman and has won multiple large events, qualified for multiple USGA events. He and I have partnered in many events together with modest success and even he has a tough time. I've never even tried. Richard knows who I am talking about.

You need to get out to California!

Come play The Kelly Cup at Lakeside. Amazing event that is as good as any I've ever played.

or the Macbeth, a 2-man invitational at Wilshire CC.

or the Kennedy at Santa Ana CC, another 2-man invitational.

Send me a PM if you are considering. I played the Carlton Woods twice. Finished 13th and 19th. Played Champions once. Finished 20th(?). I'm good friends with David Bartman, who won the Carlton Woods in 2011 or 2012.

Looking forward to a great season ahead! Best of luck to you, Kyle.

David "Obee" Ober

Super helpful. Thanks for the response, and good luck this season!

From what I've heard about these events, they all seem to be filled with good people - sticks who are competitive, but relaxed and genuinely nice - has that been your experience?

From what I've heard about these events, they all seem to be filled with good people - sticks who are competitive, but relaxed and genuinely nice - has that been your experience?

Definitely my experience. Lots of ex-pros who tried to grind out a living and are now playing truly for the competition and fellowship. Sounds cheesy, but true for many of the guys I've met in these types of events.

Tron and Randy from NLU had Todd Mitchell on their podcast TrapDraw and that was what he echo'd, it's been a while sense I've listened to it but from what I remember they talked about the mid am scheduling and all that. I don't think they went into the invitationals but it was still a pretty good listen. He said the biggest difference between the AM and Mid-am was after the round in the am guys beat ball, after the mid-am they go in and have a drink and just hang. That vibe sounds awesome, I just gotta count down the days and get back into serious golf

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Playing in the Azalea Invitational next week. Good mix of highly ranked college players and accomplished Mid-Ams from what I understand. A lot of big names on the confirmed list, Nathan Smith, Bill Williamson, Todd White, Carlos Ocampo, Cole Hammer etc. This will be my first time playing it and I kind of backdoored it. Played Erin Hills with a friend last year and shot -2, he mentioned this to a friend on the Azalea tourney committee and the friend of the friend asked for my resume which I sent to him and consequently received and invite. I also have a lot of the credentials previously mentioned, qualifying for USGA events, winning club championships, placing well at Association and State events etc. Nothing particularly remarkable but I guess respectable enough to get me through the door.

I fully plan on getting my butt handed to me on a plate but am really looking forward to it and will update this thread with my experience down there.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Playing in the Azalea Invitational next week. Good mix of highly ranked college players and accomplished Mid-Ams from what I understand. A lot of big names on the confirmed list, Nathan Smith, Bill Williamson, Todd White, Carlos Ocampo, Cole Hammer etc. This will be my first time playing it and I kind of backdoored it. Played Erin Hills with a friend last year and shot -2, he mentioned this to a friend on the Azalea tourney committee and the friend of the friend asked for my resume which I sent to him and consequently received and invite. I also have a lot of the credentials previously mentioned, qualifying for USGA events, winning club championships, placing well at Association and State events etc. Nothing particularly remarkable but I guess respectable enough to get me through the door.

I fully plan on getting my butt handed to me on a plate but am really looking forward to it and will update this thread with my experience down there.

Best of luck to you!!!

You need to get out to California!

Come play The Kelly Cup at Lakeside. Amazing event that is as good as any I've ever played.

or the Macbeth, a 2-man invitational at Wilshire CC.

or the Kennedy at Santa Ana CC, another 2-man invitational.

Send me a PM if you are considering. I played the Carlton Woods twice. Finished 13th and 19th. Played Champions once. Finished 20th(?). I'm good friends with David Bartman, who won the Carlton Woods in 2011 or 2012.

Looking forward to a great season ahead! Best of luck to you, Kyle.

David "Obee" Ober

awesome and I would love to come play. David is a good friend of mine as well and we have been paired together multiple times. sending you a pm