2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shell Houston open field question

Rob G 89

Saw the field listed Saturday however I've noticed a lot of non members / re shuffle players get in the top 10 in Puerto Rico, such as Peter Uihelein and Beef. I saw peter is in because of his top 10 and beef said he is now in because of this. Also I know Bill Lunde isn't a tour regular so I wonder if he is in. My question is do they shorten the initial field list to accomadate top 10 from previous week or do guys get knocked out of the field?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the field listed Saturday however I've noticed a lot of non members / re shuffle players get in the top 10 in Puerto Rico, such as Peter Uihelein and Beef. I saw peter is in because of his top 10 and beef said he is now in because of this. Also I know Bill Lunde isn't a tour regular so I wonder if he is in. My question is do they shorten the initial field list to accomadate top 10 from previous week or do guys get knocked out of the field?

I think top 10 players get last priority and only get in if there's room. If there's no room they get in the next available tournament with room. Pretty sure about that but not 100%.

The initial field list had alternates so I don't know if there was room, you might be thinking about Keith Mitchell a couple weeks ago he couldn't make the next tourney because it was an invitational

Kieth Mitchell finished in 11th place though at Valspar.

I know I'm just saying if he got 10th he couldn't play the Arnold palmer because it is an invitational

The initial field list had alternates so I don't know if there was room, you might be thinking about Keith Mitchell a couple weeks ago he couldn't make the next tourney because it was an invitational

I know I'm just saying if he got 10th he couldn't play the Arnold palmer because it is an invitational

Yea, so he would have been allowed to play the next non-invitational, non-wgc, non-major event that had an opening in the field, which may have ended up being this weeks Puerto Rico Open, next week in Houston or some other event down the line.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pgatour.com/news/2017/16-17-eligibility-ranking.amp.html

Top 10s are the 25th priority category.

Notable players:

• Americans: Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler, Patrick Reed, Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, Jimmy Walker, J.B. Holmes, Daniel Berger, Kevin Chappell, Charley Hoffman, Charles Howell III, Jason Dufner, Billy Horschel, Tony Finau, Jim Herman, James Hahn, Hudson Swafford, Sean O'Hair, Roberto Castro, Bryson DeChambeau, Peter Uihlein, Stewart Cink, Nick Watney, Davis Love III, Hunter Mahan, Matt Every.
  • Europeans: Henrik Stenson, Jon Rahm, Rafael Cabrera Bello, Justin Rose, Lee Westwood, Chris Wood, Andy Sullivan, Luke Donald, Andrew Johnston, Bernd Wiesberger, David Lingmerth, Alex Cejka, Freddie Jacobson, Jonas Blixt.
  • Aus / NZL: Adam Scott, Danny Lee, Cameron Smith, Aaron Baddeley, Matt Jones, John Senden, Geoff Ogilvy, Greg Chalmers, Stuart Appleby, Steven Bowditch, Robert Allenby.
  • Asians: Ryo Ishikawa, C.T. Pan, Siwoo Kim, K.J. Choi, Sunghoon Kang, Seungyul Noh, Meenwhee Kim
  • Latin Americans: Jhonattan Vegas, Fabián Gómez, Rafael Campos, Ángel Cabrera.
  • Other notable players: Retief Goosen, Tyrone van Aswegen, Ernie Els, Brendon de Jonge, Mackenzie Hughes, David Hearn, Nick Taylor.

Any reason maybe lack of daylight hours but why wouldn't this be a full field, I understand invitational events are limited fields like API but to get more of the players that have their full card a go why wouldn't this be 156 players instead of 144, seems crazy too many qualified players missing each week.

Any reason maybe lack of daylight hours but why wouldn't this be a full field, I understand invitational events are limited fields like API but to get more of the players that have their full card a go why wouldn't this be 156 players instead of 144, seems crazy too many qualified players missing each week.

Just because you have your "card" doesnt mean you're fully exempt for every event. Guys on the low end of the money list from the year prior are always at risk for being shuffled out as alternates based on the priority ranking for each event. Its why early in the season the low guys on the money list from the previous season try to rack up as much points and $ as they can...so they can be as high as possible on the current year's list to avoid having to worry about qualifying for an event in the spring when more and more top-ranked players are entering events preparing for the Masters.

Just as example, Andres Gonzales has his tour "card" for 2017 based on his Web.com Finals placing last year. But he Monday qualified to guarantee his spot in the SHO field instead of sit on the alternate list.

Its also why a premium is placed on winning on the PGA Tour. Getting on that winners list gets you FULLY exempt for 2 years (and then each win thereafter while on that winners exemption gets you another year added on, if memory serves). Even if you miss the cut in every other event for the rest of the season and the season thereafter, you still end up ahead of non-winners on the priority list until the end of the following season. Its why a guy like Steve Stricker, who plays part time now on Tour, can basically pick and choose his events and not worry about standings or qualification - he's still fully exempt until I think the end of the 2018 season because he racked up 8 wins between 2009 and 2012.

Geez champ calm down, why have a full field event but not use it, I can't see a reason why this isn't 156 players

Just because you have your "card" doesnt mean you're fully exempt for every event. Guys on the low end of the money list from the year prior are always at risk for being shuffled out as alternates based on the priority ranking for each event. Its why early in the season the low guys on the money list from the previous season try to rack up as much points and $ as they can...so they can be as high as possible on the current year's list to avoid having to worry about qualifying for an event in the spring when more and more top-ranked players are entering events preparing for the Masters.

Just as example, Andres Gonzales has his tour "card" for 2017 based on his Web.com Finals placing last year. But he Monday qualified to guarantee his spot in the SHO field instead of sit on the alternate list.

Its also why a premium is placed on winning on the PGA Tour. Getting on that winners list gets you FULLY exempt for 2 years (and then each win thereafter gets you another 2 years added on, if memory serves). Even if you miss the cut in every other event for the rest of the season and the season thereafter, you still end up ahead of non-winners on the priority list until the end of the following season.

Geez champ calm down, why have a full field event but not use it, I can't see a reason why this isn't 156 players

The SHO isnt the only "full field" tournament that doesnt have 156 players. Last year's RBC Heritage only had 132.

I think most of the early season events have 144. Only the ones played on multiple courses have larger fields.

The SHO isnt the only "full field" tournament that doesnt have 156 players. Last year's RBC Heritage only had 132.

I think most of the early season events have 144. Only the ones played on multiple courses have larger fields.

So unless their are multiple courses a full field will won't be 156 unlike all other tours.... the tour need to look at this or alter their card allocation, they give out top 125 followed by 50 from WEB etc then allow former winners and other exemptions if they do this they should allow as many qualified members to play as possible especially in the normal events like the SHO Otherwise they are happy that most weeks 30+ qualified players will never make the fields each week.

What's even crazier is unless they were allowed Sunday to enter the Monday Q , they were bumped out off the deadline

I understand closing the window for the OQ's but they at least need to revise the rules and allow the players that get bumped out of the field on Sunday to at least get a chance to play in the Monday qualifier. There is typically a 2 hour break between the morning and afternoon waves in these qualifiers so they could fit in more groups if they had to. Puerto Rico top 10's was an extreme case and bumped out nearly 10 players from the field. SHO saved a few sponsor exemptions and DJ withdrew so a few of those guys are still in the field but overall it's tough to factor in how many guys will get bumped esp on Sunday by top 10's in the previous tournament. Alternate tournaments such as the Puerto Rico Open will typically have multiple lower ranked, sponsor invite type guys make a top 10 who will end up bumping someone from the next tourney..

I understand SHO only has one course but now that we are gaining a bit more daylight it does make sense to expand the fields a little bit. Some of these web.com guys can barely get in most fields and when they do often end up getting bumped out at the last minute.

Interesting discussions here.

My take: As had been said, many, many times here....golf is hard. Professional golf is really hard. Professional golf on the PGA Tour is the hardest of all levels, and getting to participate at that level of talent and competition should require the most talented entry....and, if you aren't currently "the most talented"....you are relegated to the other "levels" of tournament golf....the Web.com, opposite field tourneys, etc.

Monday qualifiers are what they are supposed to be....a qualifier for someone not otherwise qualified to participate at that particular tournament. It does suck when the field for a particular tournament may be less than 156...but, who are we to tell any tournament who to allow in, or how many should be able to play.

BITD....before there was such a thing as a Web.com, or Nationwide, or Hogan tour....there were "second" tours, for those who either were not exempt from qualifying, or those who did not qualify via a Monday qualifying score.

Now...talk about tough! Bruce Fleisher (yes, he of the Kick a** golf ball) was such a highly touted young golfer when he turned pro and tried his hand at the Tour...he had trouble Monday qualifying, and even playing well enough in some of the "second" tour events, that I believe it played with him mentally, and he really never amounted to much prior to turning 50. Once he was old enough for the Seniors Tour...he kicked a** (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Now...getting back to the matters in today's world of professional golf....each and every player trying to make it on the big stage is well aware of the level of talent needed to make it, and it's just part of the way things are done.

Should there be more "spots"....???? Should those "in" the tournament that end up getting bumped be allowed a late entry into Monday qualifiers....????

Simple solution: put your big boy pants on and play better. It you play better (read: WIN) you'll receive even more opportunities to play against tougher and tougher fields.

It ain't rocket science.....play great or go home.

So unless their are multiple courses a full field will won't be 156 unlike all other tours.... the tour need to look at this or alter their card allocation, they give out top 125 followed by 50 from WEB etc then allow former winners and other exemptions if they do this they should allow as many qualified members to play as possible especially in the normal events like the SHO Otherwise they are happy that most weeks 30+ qualified players will never make the fields each week.

Again, winning your "card" doesnt equal being exempt to every tournament. Your "card" just makes you eligible to enter PGA Tour events. Players are still ranked for selection to the field based on wins, points, money, etc. You're not "qualified" for a tournament unless you are high enough on the priority list to make the field.

You know what else I don't find fair guys like Soren Kjeldsen gain entry to WGC events from their euro tour results but get the money and fed ex points to count on the PGA tour. Honestly fringe guys are better off playing in Europe first like brooks Koepka

Why is that not "fair"? Kjeldsen is a member of the PGA Tour this year. Why should he not collect points and money that he's earned?

Kjeldsen finished top 10 in two majors last year. Pretty sure he's not a "fringe" guy.

You know what else I don't find fair guys like Soren Kjeldsen gain entry to WGC events from their euro tour results but get the money and fed ex points to count on the PGA tour. Honestly fringe guys are better off playing in Europe first like brooks Koepka

Why is that not "fair"? Kjeldsen is a member of the PGA Tour this year. Why should he not collect points and money that he's earned?

Kjeldsen finished top 10 in two majors last year. Pretty sure he's not a "fringe" guy.

He is certainly a fringe guy based on his PGA only starts this year 9 starts only ranked 98thin fed ex if he didn't have those wgc starts he'd be 3/7 on cuts not something you'd expect for someone ranked 53rd in OWGR. Just saying guys in the re shuffle category would be better off playing in Europe, more starts better OWGR and if you win possibly get into wgc and majors like Soren

He is certainly a fringe guy based on his PGA only starts this year 9 starts only ranked 98thin fed ex if he didn't have those wgc starts he'd be 3/7 on cuts not something you'd expect for someone ranked 53rd in OWGR. Just saying guys in the re shuffle category would be better off playing in Europe, more starts better OWGR and if you win possibly get into wgc and majors like Soren

The European Tour has a qualification standard too, you know. And those guys are kinda good... I like how you just assume Web.com guys in the reshuffle category can just go over to Europe and win at will.

And if you think Soren Kjeldsen is a "fringe guy" based on 9 starts this year on the PGA Tour, you're a moron. Plain and simple. The guy finished top 10 in 2 majors last year and finished 4th at Dubai.

"Fringe". lol