Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Best "mudders" on PGA?

mankumanku Members Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at the upcoming weather forecast for the Masters, I noticed that it's going to rain Monday and Wednesday, and Thursday/Friday it's going to be cloudy and very windy.

Who are the best "bad conditions" golfers?

And conversely, who falls apart when the going gets tough?

Zach J seems to play well in bad weather, but no one else springs to mind. And this opinion, BTW, is purely anecdotal..seeing as he won his two majors under fairly crappy conditions.

Thanks!

PS. In process of picking my pool players, so trying to make it a little more scientific this year image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Comments

• md1mmd1m Members Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not Bubba. He gets very upset if there is any mud on his ball. Look up bubba watson mudball on youtube. It's pretty funny. I can remember him screaming it many times.
    Clubs are fluid
  • AceCatKYAceCatKY Members Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    El Pato, naturally.
    910D3 9.5* Aldila RIP Phenom
    M2 15*
    816H2 21*
    Ping Eye 2 5-PW ZZ Lite
    MIzuno MP 52-07 / Ping Eye 2 U Groove 56* SW / Oil Can Vokey SM 60*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Mallet Raw
    ProV1
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about the current competitors but Tom Watson was the best bad weather player I ever saw. He seemed to relish crappy conditions.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OHMembers Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Two gloves Phil and Stenson seemed to play well in the Open last summer.

Then again, in an interview last year, Phil believed firm conditions favored players with more course knowledge and experience. This is a good article if you're interested in the topic:

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/masters-2016-heres-why-phil-mickelson-doesnt-want-it-to-rain/

"I'm hopeful that this is going to be a firm, fast Masters," said Mickelson on Tuesday. "When the greens on the golf course are firm you and you don't make a divot, angles are very important and so is lag putting and so is missing the ball in the right spot. So is management, strategy into the greens, putting it in the right spot."

Guess who's really good at all of those things? Big Lefty himself.

"When the greens are soft and receptive, you can get away with a lot of mistakes," said Mickelson. "You can put the ball in the wrong spot and still have a shot, still have a chance to make birdie. When the golf course is soft and you're able to fly the ball to the hole and stop it fairly quickly, it eliminates a lot of the trouble and a lot of the challenge of Augusta National."
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • Jwin323Jwin323 Members Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jonsnow wrote:

Don't know about the current competitors but Tom Watson was the best bad weather player I ever saw. He seemed to relish crappy conditions.

I agree 1000%
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any Euro player in the top 50
    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonsnow wrote:

Watson was the greatest mudder of all time. He won the 1979 Memorial by 3, I believe it snowed during one of the rounds and was cold and wet otherwise all week. Current players, probably Brandt Snedeker, his win at Torrey Pines last year in crappy weather shows that.
  • pinehurstpinehurst Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    Fowler won the Scottish Open in 2015 with pretty tough conditions. Patrick Reed played well in the 2014 Ryder Cup at Gleneagles when it was very soggy. Then again he was made for Ryder Cup, whatever the conditions. Justin Rose and Justin Thomas can play in the wet.
  • LanglandsLanglands ScotlandMembers Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandy Lyle, shot one of the finest bad weather rounds ever (71) at The Open in 1987.
    Callaway XR 10.5°
    Taylor Made M6 3W 16°
    Adams Tight Lies 2 5W 19°
    Callaway 3h 20°
    Ping Eye2 BeCu 4 iron
    Ping G20 5-SW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 60°
    Ping Darby
  • KennyPKennyP Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langlands wrote:

Sandy Lyle, shot one of the finest bad weather rounds ever (71) at The Open in 1987.

+1

Some say Sandy was born wearing a rain jacket!
  • WhatsinthebagWhatsinthebag Members Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    I know Bubby doesn't like mud on his balls
    Mp
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,412 ClubWRX
    Watson's mother was a mudder!

Needed saying,
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Watson's mother was a mudder!

Needed saying,

He loves the slop. Eats the slop.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rory seems like an obvious choice here.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • bananaezgobananaezgo LeftHandLow Members Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭
    Brandt loves this course, plays well on this course, and plays well in poor conditions as mentioned earlier. I like him to play well this week.
    Callaway 816 DBD 9 w/Tour AD TP 6S
    XHOT2 4W w/Tour Green 75S
    Xhot 2 PRO 23 hybrid w/AD DI 95S
    Apex 20 hybrid with AD Di 95S
    MP18 Fli Hi 2 iron w AD DI 95S
    MP18 SC 5 and 6 iron with PXLZ 6.0
    MP18 PW-7 irons with PXLZ 6.0
    S18 Wedges 52 and 58 Gunmetal with PXLZ 6.0
    Bettinardi QB6 putter
  • Bagz1880Bagz1880 Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

You'd think so, given that he comes from Northern Ireland and grew up playing links golf. But he's never struck me as a particularly good bad weather player. Of the Irish contingent I'd take Lowry or Clarke in the wind and rain every time.

An earlier poster mentioned Fowler. This looks a great call to me - I saw him play in a gale in the 2011 Open at Sandwich (which Clarke won) and was very impressed. If the weather cuts up rough at Augusta he must stand a good chance.
  • Danm2501Danm2501 Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Bagz1880 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

An earlier poster mentioned Fowler. This looks a great call to me - I saw him play in a gale in the 2011 Open at Sandwich (which Clarke won) and was very impressed. If the weather cuts up rough at Augusta he must stand a good chance.

He's also playing some great stuff this year too. 4 Top 10 finishes so far this season with a win at The Honda, leads the tour in scoring average, 2nd in total driving, 4th in strokes gained tee-to-green, 2nd in strokes-gained total, 3rd in scrambling, 1st in sand saves, Top 10 in strokes-gained-putting, his all around game right now is of the highest quality. He's had a Top 5 in The Masters before and I can see him having a very good week.
    Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (4-SW)
    Vokey SM5 Wedge 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    King Phil, because he's a genius.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • warfelgwarfelg Members Posts: 441
    Ricky and ZJ always strike me as guys that are mudders and play well in bad conditions.
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Members Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second Rory.
  • Full MeltFull Melt ................ Members Posts: 294 ✭✭✭✭
    AceCatKY wrote:

El Pato, naturally.

A man can dream.......the people's champ!
    Ping Anser 10*
    TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
    Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
    2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
    Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
    2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
  • Your-away!Your-away! Members Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if its going to be soft and slow that would play into Dustin and Rory's hands even more than it does now
    DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
    3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
    HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
    IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
    GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
    WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
    PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
    BALL:[font=comic sans ms, cursive]Whichever gets bought for me, or found.[/font]
  • ShankieboinkShankieboink Members Posts: 703 ✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2017 #24
    Soft and slow will be good for ballstrikers like Dustin or Stenson. And bad for Spieth. In fact, Stenson is a great wind player so slow and windy would be great for him.
    Danm2501 wrote:

Bagz1880 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

He's also playing some great stuff this year too. 4 Top 10 finishes so far this season with a win at The Honda, leads the tour in scoring average, 2nd in total driving, 4th in strokes gained tee-to-green, 2nd in strokes-gained total, 3rd in scrambling, 1st in sand saves, Top 10 in strokes-gained-putting, his all around game right now is of the highest quality. He's had a Top 5 in The Masters before and I can see him having a very good week.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rickie played well - I hope he does.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bagz1880 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

You'd think so, given that he comes from Northern Ireland and grew up playing links golf. But he's never struck me as a particularly good bad weather player. Of the Irish contingent I'd take Lowry or Clarke in the wind and rain every time.

Rory seems to like softer, damp conditions like Congressional the year he won the U.S. Open, but I don't think he particularly likes wind since he hits the ball so high.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • HighSpeedSceneHighSpeedScene Banned Posts: 3,183 ✭✭

I know Bubby doesn't like mud on his balls

Depending on the situation, I can be down with some mud on my balls
  • white03white03 Members Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had Rickie on my team for our local pool last year,.... 80 in round 1 ruined my team for the entire tournament and bet.

Never again will I pick Rickie at the Masters

having said that, he'll probably win!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rory for sure. If the greens are receptive he'll be throwing darts in all day. Plus, he carries the ball farther off the tee than almost everyone.
    jonsnow wrote:

Bagz1880 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

Rory seems to like softer, damp conditions like Congressional the year he won the U.S. Open, but I don't think he particularly likes wind since he hits the ball so high.

This is a good point. However, if the wind dies down and its just wet and maybe a little bit rainy out there I would imagine Rory will play very well indeed.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • double_ddouble_d Members Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭
    jonsnow wrote:

...and 5 Open Championships seem to agree with you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file