2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rule violation call at The Masters, win big - poll

8thehardway

I think it was more likely the Lexi call was made to win a wager; regardless, with the upcoming Masters tournament and emphasis on betting I have to ask, who among you would do such a thing if DQ'ing or assessing penalty strokes to a competitor meant you'd win money?

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was more likely the Lexi call was made to win a wager; regardless, with the upcoming Masters tournament and emphasis on betting I have to ask, who among you would do such a thing if DQ'ing or assessing penalty strokes to a competitor meant you'd win money?

Thanks for the post. I was just thinking this morning, we need another thread on Lexi and calling in rules infractions.

LOL...........the rules/tournament committee doesn't have to act on any spectator/viewer provided possible rules violations. If they don't act, people will eventually not bother.

If the player, marker, walking rules official, or a fellow competitor doesn't question a possible breach at the time it happens or before the player finishes their round, it's too late. Especially after the card has been signed and turned in to the tournament committee.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

LOL...........the rules/tournament committee doesn't have to act on any spectator/viewer provided possible rules violations. If they don't act, people will eventually not bother.

If the player, marker, walking rules official, or a fellow competitor doesn't question a possible breach at the time it happens or before the player finishes their round, it's too late. Especially after the card has been signed and turned in to the tournament committee.

34-3/9 Resolution of Questions of Fact; Referee and Committee Responsibility

Resolving questions of fact is among the most difficult actions required of a referee, or the Committee as a whole. For example, these situations include a broad array of incidents such as determining whether a player caused a ball to move (Decision 18-2/0.5), whether a player played from outside the teeing ground (Decision 34-3/4), whether a stroke was made (Decision 14/1.5), the hole at which a wrong ball was played (Decision 15-1/3) and the state of a match (Decision 34-3/5).

In all situations involving questions of fact, resolution of the doubt must be made in light of all the relevant circumstances and evaluation of the weight of the evidence, including the balance of probabilities where applicable (Decision 15-1/3). When the Committee is unable to determine the facts to its satisfaction, it must resolve the matter in the fairest way (Decision 34-3/5).

Testimony of the players involved is important and must be given due consideration. In some situations where the facts are not decisive, the doubt should be resolved in favor of the player (Decisions 15-1/2 and 19-1/4.1); in others, the doubt should be resolved against the player (Decision 13-4/35.5 and 21/3). There is no hard-and-fast rule for evaluating the testimony of the players or for assigning the weight to be given to such testimony and each situation must be treated on its own merits. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the judgment of the referee, or the Committee as a whole.

Testimony of those who are not a part of the competition, including spectators, must be accepted and evaluated (Decision 27/12). It is also appropriate to use television footage and the like to assist in resolving doubt.

It is important that any questions of fact be resolved in a timely manner such that the competition may proceed in an orderly way. Thus, the referee may be limited to evaluating the evidence available to him in a timely manner. Any such ruling is always subject to further review by the referee, or Committee as a whole as additional evidence becomes available.

If a judgment is made by a referee, the player is entitled to proceed on the basis of that ruling whether it is an interpretation of the Rules of Golf (Decision 34-3/1.5) or a resolution of a question of fact (Decision 34-3/7). In situations arising in both circumstances, if the ruling is found to be incorrect, the Committee may have the authority to make a correction (Decisions 34-3/1 and 34-3/7). However, in all circumstances, including both match play and stroke play, the referee or Committee is limited in its ability to make corrections by the guidance contained in Decisions 34-2/5, 34-2/6, 34-2/7, 34-3/3 and 34-3/3.3.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Referee" is one who is appointed by the Committee to decide questions of fact and apply the Rules. He must act on any breach of a Rule that he observes or is reported to him.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

34-3/9 Resolution of Questions of Fact; Referee and Committee Responsibility

Resolving questions of fact is among the most difficult actions required of a referee, or the Committee as a whole. For example, these situations include a broad array of incidents such as determining whether a player caused a ball to move (Decision 18-2/0.5), whether a player played from outside the teeing ground (Decision 34-3/4), whether a stroke was made (Decision 14/1.5), the hole at which a wrong ball was played (Decision 15-1/3) and the state of a match (Decision 34-3/5).

In all situations involving questions of fact, resolution of the doubt must be made in light of all the relevant circumstances and evaluation of the weight of the evidence, including the balance of probabilities where applicable (Decision 15-1/3). When the Committee is unable to determine the facts to its satisfaction, it must resolve the matter in the fairest way (Decision 34-3/5).

Testimony of the players involved is important and must be given due consideration. In some situations where the facts are not decisive, the doubt should be resolved in favor of the player (Decisions 15-1/2 and 19-1/4.1); in others, the doubt should be resolved against the player (Decision 13-4/35.5 and 21/3). There is no hard-and-fast rule for evaluating the testimony of the players or for assigning the weight to be given to such testimony and each situation must be treated on its own merits. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and must be left to the judgment of the referee, or the Committee as a whole.

Testimony of those who are not a part of the competition, including spectators, must be accepted and evaluated (Decision 27/12). It is also appropriate to use television footage and the like to assist in resolving doubt.

It is important that any questions of fact be resolved in a timely manner such that the competition may proceed in an orderly way. Thus, the referee may be limited to evaluating the evidence available to him in a timely manner. Any such ruling is always subject to further review by the referee, or Committee as a whole as additional evidence becomes available.

If a judgment is made by a referee, the player is entitled to proceed on the basis of that ruling whether it is an interpretation of the Rules of Golf (Decision 34-3/1.5) or a resolution of a question of fact (Decision 34-3/7). In situations arising in both circumstances, if the ruling is found to be incorrect, the Committee may have the authority to make a correction (Decisions 34-3/1 and 34-3/7). However, in all circumstances, including both match play and stroke play, the referee or Committee is limited in its ability to make corrections by the guidance contained in Decisions 34-2/5, 34-2/6, 34-2/7, 34-3/3 and 34-3/3.3.

Yes; timely manner to me means before player signs his scorecard for the round and turns it in. Not a day or days after the fact.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

poll above is pretty telling of how people feel on this

Agreed. But post that same pole in the Rules forum and it would probably >90% would call it in for free. Some of those guys seem to love the rules more than golf itself, especially the minutia that has no material impact on the outcome of a shot. It's almost like a religion to them and to speak poorly of the rules or USGA is like blasphemy.

Agreed. But post that same pole in the Rules forum and it would probably >90% would call it in for free. Some of those guys seem to love the rules more than golf itself, especially the minutia that has no material impact on the outcome of a shot. It's almost like a religion to them and to speak poorly of the rules or USGA is like blasphemy.

Exactly my point. And they also do not appreciate anyone outside the circle posting there. It truly is a religion. One I have questioned the legitimacy of thrice now and receive no real response. But whatever. Things are about to change whether they like it or not. Public outrage will force it.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So - what is the email address(es) and phone number(s) to contact the Masters rules committee referee? This information should be made readily available, shouldn't it?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

bounty for being a butthead....interesting?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

So - what is the email address(es) and phone number(s) to contact the Masters rules committee referee? This information should be made readily available, shouldn't it?

The fact that it isn't should tell us that it isn't just some couch potato that gets through.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Lexi got robbed. She should of won.

Wk

She violated the rules and I'm a Lexi fan. I do take exception to a viewer call-in, however. Should not be allowed.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I'd suggest the poll is more a reflection of what people *think* the right answer should be.

I suspect at least 80% of the people on this forum, would trying to be calling in a rules violation if they saw it and though they could get through to someone.

We live in the world Andy Warhol talked about, everyone wants their 10 minutes of fame.

A year ago Anna Nordqvist was in the bunker and the cameras picked up the fact she moved a grain of sand..she had no idea and neither did anyone else on the course...I remember the announcers saying after the zoom in slow motion..."Oh my she definitely moved the sand" so it was the network or them or whoever that notified officials and she lost a major. Not much different from a fan calling in because golf rules are very detailed and even pros don't know them all....it is what it is because golf rules are so intricate.

A year ago Anna Nordqvist was in the bunker and the cameras picked up the fact she moved a grain of sand..she had no idea and neither did anyone else on the course...I remember the announcers saying after the zoom in slow motion..."Oh my she definitely moved the sand" so it was the network or them or whoever that notified officials and she lost a major. Not much different from a fan calling in because golf rules are very detailed and even pros don't know them all....it is what it is because golf rules are so intricate.

It was the bunker cam that picked up the club touching the sand. Unfortunate for Anna, but she took the chance by hovering her club so close to the sand. The rule is , you can't touch the sand, appropriate penalty assessed.

A year ago Anna Nordqvist... Not much different from a fan calling in because golf rules are very detailed and even pros don't know them all....

Are you implying that Anna did not know the rule she was penalized on?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

A year ago Anna Nordqvist... Not much different from a fan calling in because golf rules are very detailed and even pros don't know them all....

Are you implying that Anna did not know the rule she was penalized on?

Not sure how you make that leap...I'm saying she had no clue she touched the sand and without the bunker cam which I'm sure isn't there to catch sand touchers neither would officials or anyone else....officials never would have looked at the footage unless they were told by "outside" spectators.