TollBros WITB

Comments

• TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    Gtyler14 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

gentles wrote:

I picked up a T3 M2 Deep face based on your recommendation above - can't wait to try it out!

I can't imagine anyone not being happy with that head and Tensei Pro White combo. I've had literally five other players hit my 3 wood and replicate the exact same set up.

I had a t3 m2 df with a Tensei Pro Blue 90tx and it was alright but I ended up going back to my TI 16 m1. I probably should of tried the pro white like I wanted to but with playing blueboard 103x for a long time I thought the PB 90 would give me that same holy grail I was looking for but it didn’t. I probably should of kept it considering when I tested it my elbow was so far gone I couldn’t swing the club exactly how I wanted to before surgery.

As long as you have something you like now, that's all that matters. And I suppose some people may not find the M2 DF very forgiving but I really don't find it punishing at all. I'm a good ball striker but I'm no Tour player, and I can't remember a single instance on the course that this club didn't do exactly what I expected. I also know a lot of guys are afraid of Pro White as a fairway shaft but the 80tx does not hit low. The flight is low spin and the apex is flat, but it's not low launch. I'm getting 12.5/2800 or so off the deck with this thing at near driver ball speeds.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Gtyler14Gtyler14 Members Posts: 639 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

Gtyler14 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

gentles wrote:

I picked up a T3 M2 Deep face based on your recommendation above - can't wait to try it out!

I can't imagine anyone not being happy with that head and Tensei Pro White combo. I've had literally five other players hit my 3 wood and replicate the exact same set up.

I had a t3 m2 df with a Tensei Pro Blue 90tx and it was alright but I ended up going back to my TI 16 m1. I probably should of tried the pro white like I wanted to but with playing blueboard 103x for a long time I thought the PB 90 would give me that same holy grail I was looking for but it didn’t. I probably should of kept it considering when I tested it my elbow was so far gone I couldn’t swing the club exactly how I wanted to before surgery.

As long as you have something you like now, that's all that matters. And I suppose some people may not find the M2 DF very forgiving but I really don't find it punishing at all. I'm a good ball striker but I'm no Tour player, and I can't remember a single instance on the course that this club didn't do exactly what I expected. I also know a lot of guys are afraid of Pro White as a fairway shaft but the 80tx does not hit low. The flight is low spin and the apex is flat, but it's not low launch. I'm getting 12.5/2800 or so off the deck with this thing at near driver ball speeds.

I liked the DF shape and how it set at address. I probably should of kept it and dialed it in a little more but I may eventually give it another shot for the heck of it.
    Tour issue M4 8.5 w/ Kuro Kage dual core 70TX tipped 1” 44”
    Tour issue M1 T3 14.3 Kuro Kage dual core 80TX tipped 1 42.5” or Diamana bf 80TX tipped 1
    Tour issue TM m1 3HL 17.8 fujikura p95x tipped 1 41.75”
    TM 790 UDI x100 39.75
    TM 750 tour Proto 4-pw tour issue x100
    TM MG AB 54 Tour issue x100
    TM MG AB 60 tour issue x100
    Nike method 001
    Scotty Cameron select Newport 2
  • stevwstevw Members Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Where’s the best place to get a tour issue m2 deep face? Thanks
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,824 ✭✭
    No Bloodline putter?
  • gentlesgentles Members Posts: 1,867 ✭✭
    stevw wrote:

There are a few on the BST right now, otherwise ebay is your best bet. I got my head for $150 which seems to be around the going rate for these.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64
    stevw wrote:

At this point, eBay. Should set you back just under $200 for the head.

4rheel wrote:

No Bloodline putter?

I'm actually waiting on my custom mallet to show up. I'd like to do a little review on it once I get it, but it's been awhile now.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
    Looking forward to your review on the Bloodline putter. So assuming you’ve rolled them, what are your initials impressions and what stood out to you most? I’m interested but haven’t seen any reviews on them.
    4rheel wrote:

Looking forward to your review on the Bloodline putter. So assuming you’ve rolled them, what are your initials impressions and what stood out to you most? I’m interested but haven’t seen any reviews on them.

You've got to get used to the grip which is basically round and the fact that all the weight is in the head. It's different but the ability to be able to perfectly align yourself quickly over rides any initial discomfort.

TollBros wrote:

4rheel wrote:

Looking forward to your review on the Bloodline putter. So assuming you've rolled them, what are your initials impressions and what stood out to you most? I'm interested but haven't seen any reviews on them.

You've got to get used to the grip which is basically round and the fact that all the weight is in the head. It's different but the ability to be able to perfectly align yourself quickly over rides any initial discomfort.

Sounds intriguing. I don't think I will have any problem with round grips but with all the weight in the head, distance control isn't an issue? Look forward to your review JT.
    4rheel wrote:

TollBros wrote:

4rheel wrote:

Looking forward to your review on the Bloodline putter. So assuming you've rolled them, what are your initials impressions and what stood out to you most? I'm interested but haven't seen any reviews on them.

Sounds intriguing. I don't think I will have any problem with round grips but with all the weight in the head, distance control isn't an issue? Look forward to your review JT.

There is no question it takes some getting used to. Putting is the strongest part of my game and I even realized I was a couple degrees misaligned at 20 feet. It's very helpful as a putter and a learning tool as well.

Gtyler14 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

Gtyler14 wrote:

TollBros wrote:

gentles wrote:

I liked the DF shape and how it set at address. I probably should of kept it and dialed it in a little more but I may eventually give it another shot for the heck of it.

I’m only a round and a range session in and this thing is exactly as you describe - very small, somewhat intimidating looking head, but launches plenty highe off the deck and feels amazing. My only concern is that it might go too far for what I need, maybe should have picked up a 3hl!
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64
    gentles wrote:

I’m only a round and a range session in and this thing is exactly as you describe - very small, somewhat intimidating looking head, but launches plenty highe off the deck and feels amazing. My only concern is that it might go too far for what I need, maybe should have picked up a 3hl!

It really is like having a second driver that you can hit off the deck. We test all the new 3 woods every year and nothing even makes me consider switching.

• TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭
    edited May 21, 2018 #104
    I took a clue from here and have found the Mizuno GT180 to be a really great driver shafted with a Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X.

The open face and 10.5* are just what the Dr. ordered for me - I have a lot of face turn down thru impact.

Easily and immediately displaced my Epic.

Texsport
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
    Texsport wrote:

I took a clue from here and have found the Mizuno GT180 to be a really great driver shafted with a Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X.

Easily and immediately displaced my Epic.

Texsport

It's outstanding. I loved it in testing except the fact that I don't like a super open face and need a super low loft. Basically completely contradictory to the one loft thing all they companies seem to do these days.

edited Jul 5, 2018 #106
    Minor switch but went to gripmaster kangaroo midsize in all my woods. By far the best grip in hot humid environments. The wetter it gets, the tackier it becomes. I can't say enough good things about it.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

• PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
    Have you tried out the P760s?
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 143 ClubWRX
    I'm guessing by that set up you lean EVERYTHING (down into it). Good looking WITB. Like the long iron replacements and prototype synergy. Holy spin: killed.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
    shoot4par wrote:

I'm guessing by that set up you lean EVERYTHING (down into it). Good looking WITB. Like the long iron replacements and prototype synergy. Holy spin: killed.

I go down through every iron shot, but my AOA on the driver is around 5 degrees up. Hence the need for such low loft on the driver. The speed through the ball is the only thing creating spin. I'm sure as I grow older things will get tricky, as the speed slows and the spin comes down. Hopefully not something I need to address for another 20 years. Haha

• calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Have you hit the King LTD 3 wood? That thing is super low spin and long while being very forgiving. The retail M2 wasn't even close. Think the tour issue ones match it?
    calfan36 wrote:

Have you hit the King LTD 3 wood? That thing is super low spin and long while being very forgiving. The retail M2 wasn't even close. Think the tour issue ones match it?

The retail M2 is a shallow faced design. I play the Tour only deep face head in the 3 woods. They perform very differently. Also, we test probably 90% of all product you would consider even remotely relevant on an annual basis, with this deep faced '16 head still reigning supreme. It's not for everyone as the head is short heel to toe so you need to be a quality ball striker to use it properly, but for higher speed guys, it's an absolute weapon.

What’s the reasoning behind playing UDI vs 790 in the long irons? I’ve got both in a 3 and 4 having a hard time deciding what to go for and what is important when testing etc.
    Ping Anser Milled 5

edited Dec 25, 2018 #113
    gentles wrote:

What’s the reasoning behind playing UDI vs 790 in the long irons? I’ve got both in a 3 and 4 having a hard time deciding what to go for and what is important when testing etc.

I've been playing the original UDI with great success for about 4 years so when the p790 set came out, I simply adjusted the lofts slightly to fit the gap and kept playing them. After testing both the p790 long irons and the GAPR irons, I just didn't see any performance gain or reason to change from what I was already comfortable with. The original UDI are super easy to hit, are easy to alter trajectory with, and you don't have to be perfect with them. Honestly when you have access to everything, and can change clubs anytime you want to, you don't. I know it's odd to say, but with having so much access to everything, it just makes me play whatever I like best with no pressure to ever switch for any reason other than superior performance.

TollBros wrote:

gentles wrote:

I've been playing the original UDI with great success for about 4 years so when the p790 set came out, I simply adjusted the lofts slightly to fit the gap and kept playing them. After testing both the p790 long irons and the GAPR irons, I just didn't see any performance gain or reason to change from what I was already comfortable with. The original UDI are super easy to hit, are easy to alter trajectory with, and you don't have to be perfect with them. Honestly when you have access to everything, and can change clubs anytime you want to, you don't. I know it's odd to say, but with having so much access to everything, it just makes me play whatever I like best with no pressure to ever switch for any reason other than superior performance.

Did you notice any difference in launch and spin between the two? My limited testing showed that udi launched much higher with more spin, but I figured your testing may be more scientific. Happy holidays!
    Ping Anser Milled 5

gentles wrote:

TollBros wrote:

gentles wrote:

Did you notice any difference in launch and spin between the two? My limited testing showed that udi launched much higher with more spin, but I figured your testing may be more scientific. Happy holidays!

The UDI original launches between the low and mid but retains a spin closet to the low in stock form. I play C-taper 130 in the 4 iron but Tensei Pro White 100tx in the 3 iron and it really keeps the spin under control. They actually spin close to the same with that set up. Pick the head you like best and tailor the shaft and set up to match the trajectory and spin window you need.

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    That is a sweet bag. Love the whole thing including the headcover.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • Great bag can’t imagine having access to the type of shafts and equipment you do that would be dangerous. Ha
    TBD
    Tour issue 2017 m2 tour shaft tbd
    Nike vapor fly pro 3 fuji pro 115 ts
    4-9 jpx 919 tour c taper x
    Vokey 48 52 56 60 kbs c taper/hi rev
    Scotty buttonback newport 2

Great bag can’t imagine having access to the type of shafts and equipment you do that would be dangerous. Ha

Often and makes the choice much easier as I can validate that everything in my bag is as good as I'm going to get it. Whereas some people may be tempted to change clubs, I get to actually try them which allows me to continuously validate what I'm playing and makes switching much less likely.

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    I found switching less has helped me.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    With those shafts in the 790’s you must hit those things a mile.

I hit the 730’with a Ctaper = 176 carry

Same shaft in the 7 iron 790 = 202 carry
    Taylormade M6 9.0 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Taylormade M5 rocket 14* Tensei Pro orange 80tx 
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
    sheppy335 wrote:

I found switching less has helped me.

No doubt. Comfort and familiarity means increased consistency.