2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hong Kong

DrivesFourShow

I'm starting to plan a golf trip to Hong Kong for next year and keen to get any advice that people might have? We have reciprocal rights with Discovery Bay and Clearwater Bay so any reviews would be much appreciated? Also, what's the best time of year to visit, my research has Oct-Nov and Feb-Mar best from a warm weather/low rainfall perspective?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to plan a golf trip to Hong Kong for next year and keen to get any advice that people might have? We have reciprocal rights with Discovery Bay and Clearwater Bay so any reviews would be much appreciated? Also, what's the best time of year to visit, my research has Oct-Nov and Feb-Mar best from a warm weather/low rainfall perspective?

I would say the best time to visit is the October - November window, I was there this year and it was 70's, shorts weather for sure. It get's super humid in the summer time. I didn't being my golf clubs, I will my next trip. If you have reciprocal rights then you're good to go, golf is pretty expensive within Hong Kong. I've herd Shenzen has some pretty good courses and its within an hour drive or train ride, lots of good resorts out there on the water. Have a great trip! If you're staying in Hong Kong I'd recommend Tsim Sha Tsui area.

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

• 2 months later...

i'm a member of all the clubs here. for time of year we have fantastic weather from october typically thru january. you can get weather averages and see that rain can be very heavy for a large part of the rest of the year. june this year was a wash out. check the calendar for the Hong Kong Open at HK Golf Club and/or the China PGA event at Clearwater Bay. That will give you an indication of best course conditions. Maybe you come watch. You'll get right up to folks. Maybe your club can talk to the CWB manager and get you into the pro am.

DiscoBay lost their greens and are on a 3 year programme to replace all 27. So, 1 nine is closed each year for most of the year but due to re-open all 27 each peak season (Oct - Chinese new year) The contractor just got shut down by immigration for using undocumented workers. So, the programme is stalled. Unfortunately, the course is in terrible shape for the foreseeable future but peak season won't be as bad. The course is on the same island as the airport. Typically people take a ferry from central 1/2 hour to get there. Nice place to hang out and restaurants, etc...

Clearwater Bay is 18 and fantastic views and the course is always in great shape. You'll need every club in the bag. It also hosts the Asian Amateur, where the winner goes to the Masters. The mgmt there is top notch. Overall, the best experience. Not sure how they do weekends for reciprocals. You can take taxi there from central or the MTR and a shuttle bus.

The Hong Kong Golf Club is 54 holes and is obligated to be open to the public during the week. I believe you have to be a HKGA member but that is a part of the USGA so that may work for you. Or just get the HKGA membership and save yourself a ton of money. In any case, the three courses are fun although there are no views. I think their website has the terms of the arrangement. I think you can only get there by taxi.

Apparently, the HK-Macau-Zhuhai bridge (the longest bridge in the world) will be open this year (they claim). If so, an hour ferry to Macau just turned into a 15 minute car ride. There is the EPGA tour stop there, the Macau CC which is fun. But I also understand the golf at the Caesars is quite good. You have to check whether you need to stay at the course's hotel in order to play.

Otherwise, if you stay at the Shangri La they have a deal with a good course in Shenzhen where they have shuttle buses. It's a longer day but still worth it. And, there is Mission Hills which also has shuttle buses and 12 courses. You'll need your passport to go to Macau or Shenzhen.

The public course is Kau Sai Chau. It's 54 holes owned by the Jockey Club, Gary Player design, etc...same part of the country as Clearwater Bay so the views are great. You'll need to take a taxi to a ferry. I think you can only get a tee time by using the phone system with a HKGA membership.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Edit: i would also add zhuhai to the list as that is 1 hour ferry soon to be bridge. Currently you may need some help with logistics e.g. car pick-up on other side due to language barrier. but, if arranged properly, there is good courses. i imagine when the bridge opens the golf courses will become much more accessible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi - I am an expat who lives in Singapore, soon to be Hong Kong. I have been playing for a long time, and my wife has started playing seriously for about a year.

Does anyone have advice for weekend golf? We have a dog, which means we need to be out and back in 12 hours, which I hope is sufficient time.

The obvious places I am looking at are Mission Hills and other Shenzhen golf clubs, as well as the Jockey Club in HK. Macau is a possibility as is Zhuhai, but would appreciate some real world views on the practicalities and costs of each option!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• 4 months later...

i'm a member of all the clubs here. for time of year we have fantastic weather from october typically thru january. you can get weather averages and see that rain can be very heavy for a large part of the rest of the year. june this year was a wash out. check the calendar for the Hong Kong Open at HK Golf Club and/or the China PGA event at Clearwater Bay. That will give you an indication of best course conditions. Maybe you come watch. You'll get right up to folks. Maybe your club can talk to the CWB manager and get you into the pro am.

DiscoBay lost their greens and are on a 3 year programme to replace all 27. So, 1 nine is closed each year for most of the year but due to re-open all 27 each peak season (Oct - Chinese new year) The contractor just got shut down by immigration for using undocumented workers. So, the programme is stalled. Unfortunately, the course is in terrible shape for the foreseeable future but peak season won't be as bad. The course is on the same island as the airport. Typically people take a ferry from central 1/2 hour to get there. Nice place to hang out and restaurants, etc...

Clearwater Bay is 18 and fantastic views and the course is always in great shape. You'll need every club in the bag. It also hosts the Asian Amateur, where the winner goes to the Masters. The mgmt there is top notch. Overall, the best experience. Not sure how they do weekends for reciprocals. You can take taxi there from central or the MTR and a shuttle bus.

The Hong Kong Golf Club is 54 holes and is obligated to be open to the public during the week. I believe you have to be a HKGA member but that is a part of the USGA so that may work for you. Or just get the HKGA membership and save yourself a ton of money. In any case, the three courses are fun although there are no views. I think their website has the terms of the arrangement. I think you can only get there by taxi.

Apparently, the HK-Macau-Zhuhai bridge (the longest bridge in the world) will be open this year (they claim). If so, an hour ferry to Macau just turned into a 15 minute car ride. There is the EPGA tour stop there, the Macau CC which is fun. But I also understand the golf at the Caesars is quite good. You have to check whether you need to stay at the course's hotel in order to play.

Otherwise, if you stay at the Shangri La they have a deal with a good course in Shenzhen where they have shuttle buses. It's a longer day but still worth it. And, there is Mission Hills which also has shuttle buses and 12 courses. You'll need your passport to go to Macau or Shenzhen.

The public course is Kau Sai Chau. It's 54 holes owned by the Jockey Club, Gary Player design, etc...same part of the country as Clearwater Bay so the views are great. You'll need to take a taxi to a ferry. I think you can only get a tee time by using the phone system with a HKGA membership.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Edit: i would also add zhuhai to the list as that is 1 hour ferry soon to be bridge. Currently you may need some help with logistics e.g. car pick-up on other side due to language barrier. but, if arranged properly, there is good courses. i imagine when the bridge opens the golf courses will become much more accessible.

Great info. Well done. I get to HK about once a year and we can get together for a game. I usually head to Macau for at least a couple days as well. Let me know.

• 9 months later...