2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Backyard Green

BrandonFolk

Anyone here have a green in there backyard? I have been kicking around the idea for the last couple of years and cannot decide if it would be worth it. I am lucky enough to have an area that I could hit pretty decent shots (at least full wedge) into the green. I was thinking it would be great to practice my short game for half an hour or so verses driving 15 minutes each way to the course. The maintenance of a real green worries me, and I am not sure if there is an artificial surface that will accept full wedge shots? What do you think?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here have a green in there backyard? I have been kicking around the idea for the last couple of years and cannot decide if it would be worth it. I am lucky enough to have an area that I could hit pretty decent shots (at least full wedge) into the green. I was thinking it would be great to practice my short game for half an hour or so verses driving 15 minutes each way to the course. The maintenance of a real green worries me, and I am not sure if there is an artificial surface that will accept full wedge shots? What do you think?

Β 

I can't speak on full wedge shots, by my parents have a green at their house that requires very little maintenance and it's pretty realistic on 20-30 pitch shots.

Ping Anser 10*
TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

there is a youtube video 70 yard wedge to synthetic green. From what I have researched it depends on how it is built and the actual turf quality. Things like the sub base material matter and amount and type of infill in the green fibers. It can be done but I would recommend calling and talking to some of the better known turf install companies.

Β 

I can't speak on full wedge shots, by my parents have a green at their house that requires very little maintenance and it's pretty realistic on 20-30 pitch shots.

Β 

Do you know what they are using for turf?

Β 

there is a youtube video 70 yard wedge to synthetic green. From what I have researched it depends on how it is built and the actual turf quality. Things like the sub base material matter and amount and type of infill in the green fibers. It can be done but I would recommend calling and talking to some of the better known turf install companies.

Β 

That is a good idea, I was hoping to do this as a DIY project as I fear it will be too expensive to pay someone to get it done, hopefully I can find someone who is willing to work with me, do you have any suggestions on companies?

Β 

Β 

Also, I guess I started this in the wrong place? Although I am not interested in just putting on my green I would like to hit shots into it.

southwest putting greens is one of the biggest names and supposed to hold shots well. you can usually buy the turf and self install from many of these companies.

Β 

Synlawn- another big name- thread here http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1096951-my-220-sqft-backyard-putting-green-install/

Β 

The cheapest would likely be allturfmats and there is a recent thread with an install here that you might ask about mid length chip shots.

link here http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1462496-diy-backyard-putting-green-lots-of-pics-and-writing-updated-close-up-pics/page__p__15231528__hl__+all%20+turf%20+mats#entry15231528

We have a green by Southwest which was quite expensive and does hold chips from 20-30 yards. Unfortunately roots from nearby trees have grown under the surface which is now ruined for putting. Apparently sugar maple roots live forever, long after the tree is cut down. My advice - save your money and just chip or pitch to targets in the yard. Putting on the synthetic green was sort of fun but not really useful otherwise, at least for me.

I have a backyard putting green and I use it all the time. I'm in SoCal, so I don't have the space to hit wedges in, but my chipping and putting has improved ten fold since my green was installed. The biggest benefit in my mind is being able to run out back for quick 15-20 minute sessions. It would take me more time to drive to and from the course than that. If I had the space to hit wedge I'd be in heaven. My wife would have to drag me back in teh house everyday. I am lucky in that I was able to go big enough with my backyard green to put in 5 well spaced holes and can reach out to 25 foot putts.

Β 

Google Dave Pelz backyard. Looking at his setup, I have to imagine that those greens are holding wedges. I'm not saying that you need to drop that coin into it, but the quality your're looking for does exist.

Β 

If you're talking abut a real grass green...that's a lot of freaking work to maintain if you want it to react like a course quality green. If I had the space for full wedges, I'd probably think about doing a driving range flag/pole type set up. It would give you multiple targets to shoot for and give you an idea of where your wedge numbers are at. If you don't need it to react like a course quality green you could always grow some grass and keep it trimmed real short.

I have a backyard putting green and I use it all the time. I'm in SoCal, so I don't have the space to hit wedges in, but my chipping and putting has improved ten fold since my green was installed. The biggest benefit in my mind is being able to run out back for quick 15-20 minute sessions. It would take me more time to drive to and from the course than that. If I had the space to hit wedge I'd be in heaven. My wife would have to drag me back in teh house everyday. I am lucky in that I was able to go big enough with my backyard green to put in 5 well spaced holes and can reach out to 25 foot putts.

Β 

Google Dave Pelz backyard. Looking at his setup, I have to imagine that those greens are holding wedges. I'm not saying that you need to drop that coin into it, but the quality your're looking for does exist.

Β 

If you're talking abut a real grass green...that's a lot of freaking work to maintain if you want it to react like a course quality green. If I had the space for full wedges, I'd probably think about doing a driving range flag/pole type set up. It would give you multiple targets to shoot for and give you an idea of where your wedge numbers are at. If you don't need it to react like a course quality green you could always grow some grass and keep it trimmed real short.

Β 

Wish I had your luck. Ours was fine until the roots grew under it. Now they want $5000 for repair that might work for only a few years. Still looks nice from a distance!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Wish I had your luck. Ours was fine until the roots grew under it. Now they want $5000 for repair that might work for only a few years. Still looks nice from a distance!

Β 

You should be able to pull up the existing surface, dig out the roots(hardest part), rent a plate compactor and re-compact the surface. This could be a one day job for less than a couple of hundred dollars. Picture of how bad the roots are?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

You should be able to pull up the existing surface, dig out the roots(hardest part), rent a plate compactor and re-compact the surface. This could be a one day job for less than a couple of hundred dollars. Picture of how bad the roots are?

Β 

I'll post a pic later, but I'm not capable of doing that job. SW greens quoted $5000 to do exactly that plus put in a trench and barrier. Even that won't be a cure as the tree is still there. And cutting it down probably wouldn't matter as the roots could live and grow for years! My tree guy says we're screwed. My wife doesn't care as we can still chip to it but I'm pissed.

Well that is half of the problem right there, removing the tree. You would almost want to trench around the green and do a concrete barrier to prevent any future after you remove them. Now that the tree is dead you could pull up the surface, dig out the bad area's and use root killing chemicals to stop future growth. You should be able to add a little road base/sand and a plate compactor should be able to smooth it out.

Well that is half of the problem right there, removing the tree. You would almost want to trench around the green and do a concrete barrier to prevent any future after you remove them. Now that the tree is dead you could pull up the surface, dig out the bad area's and use root killing chemicals to stop future growth. You should be able to add a little road base/sand and a plate compactor should be able to smooth it out.

Β 

That's actually not the tree that's causing the problem - just a huge branch that actually blew over from a dead tree 30+ yards away! What you suggest is exactly what the proposed solution is, except our tree experts think even that wouldn't prevent future growth and not worth the cost. Sugar maple roots apparently live and grow forever.

That is a beautiful backyard green you built! Shame about the roots that's rough luck.

Β 

Thanks. My real reason for posting this is just to raise a little caution about SW greens. While they installed a beautiful product, I don't think that they did adequate site inspection first. They should have recognized potential problem and dealt with it before the green was built, not offer to "hopefully fix it" for $5000 afterwards.

southwest putting greens is one of the biggest names and supposed to hold shots well. you can usually buy the turf and self install from many of these companies.

Β 

Synlawn- another big name- thread here http://www.golfwrx.c...-green-install/

Β 

The cheapest would likely be allturfmats and there is a recent thread with an install here that you might ask about mid length chip shots.

link here http://www.golfwrx.c...s#entry15231528

Β 

Thanks for the leads and the reading material.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Wow! Dave Pelz backyard is something I can only dream of!

Β 

I was considering a real grass green, as the initial cost would be lower, but the maintenance does worry me. I just can't decided if the upkeep would outweigh the awesomeness of it :derisive:

Β 

My whole reason for looking into this was my son was born last year and I would love for him to be able to start golfing young. I got my first iron when I was 3 years old, I wish I still had it. My dad cut down and old 7 iron and I have loved the game ever since. The one thing that I didn't realize until I was older is how much people hate having young kids on the golf course, so if I had a green and a couple tee boxes we could have our own course and not worry if the kid wanted to stop to look at something or run and scream. I figure if he is having fun with golf and being around golf outside that will be a win in the long run!

I had a Golf Greens Fore U put in about 7 years ago. Helped my putting a ton and it is relaxing after a long day when I'd rather stay home in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops instead of getting cleaned up to go to my club to practice. I clean it off real good each spring (just did it Sunday), use a 10x10 tamp for any bumpy areas and have some silica added every few years to keep the speed up. Then a leaf blower every now and again.

Β 

12751586_589324944577428_2117471136_n.jpg

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

I had a Golf Greens Fore U put in about 7 years ago. Helped my putting a ton and it is relaxing after a long day when I'd rather stay home in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops instead of getting cleaned up to go to my club to practice. I clean it off real good each spring (just did it Sunday), use a 10x10 tamp for any bumpy areas and have some silica added every few years to keep the speed up. Then a leaf blower every now and again.

Β 

12751586_589324944577428_2117471136_n.jpg

How big is this green?

So I am thinking of having one installed at my new house. I don't have a ton of room and my wife won't let me take up the whole backyard. But along of the side of my house, I have a useless gravel area. I can easily fit a 7ft wide by 20ft long green. My only concern is with it being that narrow will it still be useful? Obviously it would only be used for rolling putting given how narrow it is. Anyone have thoughts on if that size would be ok or would it kind of be useless?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GWΒ 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

@bradski - 12' x 24'.

Β 

@SilverBullets - I build mine into a waste of space on our acre. 7' may feel cramped. If you can get it to 10' you'd probably have enough room to be comfortable. Have a company come to your property and give you their input.

Β 

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

1. Live on a golf course

Β 

2. Go out your back door to actual green

Β 

3. Profit

Β 

Yeah, I have considered this. But the wife likes the space and privacy that we have with a little bit of land. Ideally I would find a decent spot on a golf course, but it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime it would be fun to practice at home!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1462496-diy-backyard-putting-green-lots-of-pics-and-writing-updated-close-up-pics/

Β 

Here is mine. I have a nylon green and haven't sanded it yet and don't have the size of yard for full wedge shots, but in terms of the roll and a green it was one of the most fun projects I have done and one that has actually made a difference in my game.

Β 

Cheers

Rob