2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

Comments

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2379WRX Points: 637Handicap: 0.9Members Posts: 2,379
    nsxguy wrote:

My wife still games a Nike SQ 3 & 5 wood. Long and automatic in her hands.

QOTD - Does she play Titleist Tour Soft ? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I completely forgot about those, I still have them by the way un-touched.

She still has about 13 unused boxes of Callaway HX Pearls. If I ever brought a pink ball home she would probably impale me with a golf shaft.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MolemanMoleman  582WRX Points: 104Handicap: 12Members Posts: 582
    I've been unfaithful. About a year or so ago I bought a Callaway Fusion driver and it pretty much saved my golf game! Long and ridiculously forgiving... We were happy for a while and then as usual my eyes started to wander. I had my head turned by a pretty little Taylormade M2, that didn't last very long! Moved unto a JPX 900, Callaway Rogue, Ping G400 and finally a Titleist 917. Suddenly found myself back where I was a year or so ago, no confidence or consistency off the tee, I actually spent the last month hitting nothing longer than a 4i.

Then I came across another Fusion on Gumtree, they say never go back but I was desperate! Swallowed my pride went back with my tail between my legs and the last three rounds of golf have been my best driving rounds since the Fusion was last in my bag! You can trust me this time, I've learned my lesson, I'm never going to stray again!
    Posted:
  • ewe8523ewe8523  393WRX Points: 81Handicap: 18Members Posts: 393
    I need to go back to the Fusion as well. I’m been trying to get my F7 - Diamana Thump combo going again with mixed results.
    Posted:
  • hlcahlca  492WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 492
    Last week, I bought a Fusion driver with a Rogue Max 65 g stiff shaft as a gift for my brother. He hasn't hit it yet. Was only $78 w/ shipping after $30 of credit from 2ndswing. There was a chip in the ferrule, but otherwise really good condition. Any one played this head/shaft combo? Wonder why it was selling for so cheap...
    Posted:
    Callaway X2 Hot driver 10.5* w/ Proforce V2 stiff shaft
    TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3W 15* w/ stock shaft
    TaylorMade Jetspeed 3H 19* w/ stock shaft
    Callaway X2 Hot 5-AW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 stiff shaft
    Callaway MD4 S-Grind 54* 58* w/ stock shaft
    Nike Method MOD 60 putter
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4130WRX Points: 235Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 4,130
    hlca wrote:

Last week, I bought a Fusion driver with a Rogue Max 65 g stiff shaft as a gift for my brother. He hasn't hit it yet. Was only $78 w/ shipping after $30 of credit from 2ndswing. There was a chip in the ferrule, but otherwise really good condition. Any one played this head/shaft combo? Wonder why it was selling for so cheap...

I think it’s Carl’s that has The Fusions new for $99 in an ad this week.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• Striker AceStriker Ace  348WRX Points: 10Members Posts: 348
    Did not work for me. I had to send it back. There was no pop off the face and felt really dead.

I will be waiting for the Rogue series. I at least tried that one first and man, let me tell you if you do not already know, it hits the ball.
    Posted:
    Callaway X series driver
    Callaway BB OS 3 hybrid
    Mizuno CLK 4 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 irons
    Cleveland CBX wedge
    Nike Method putter

Callaway Superhot Bold

Advertisement
  • RamminMoparRamminMopar Illinois 140WRX Points: 34Handicap: 25Members Posts: 140
    I have the rougue max in xstiff and i like it overall, it doesnt have that pop some drivers have but it still goes just as long.
    Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6528WRX Points: 1,027Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 6,528
    Moleman wrote:

I've been unfaithful. About a year or so ago I bought a Callaway Fusion driver and it pretty much saved my golf game! Long and ridiculously forgiving... We were happy for a while and then as usual my eyes started to wander. I had my head turned by a pretty little Taylormade M2, that didn't last very long! Moved unto a JPX 900, Callaway Rogue, Ping G400 and finally a Titleist 917. Suddenly found myself back where I was a year or so ago, no confidence or consistency off the tee, I actually spent the last month hitting nothing longer than a 4i.

Then I came across another Fusion on Gumtree, they say never go back but I was desperate! Swallowed my pride went back with my tail between my legs and the last three rounds of golf have been my best driving rounds since the Fusion was last in my bag! You can trust me this time, I've learned my lesson, I'm never going to stray again!

I never say "never" but I hit the new TS2 & 3 and the Ping MAX last week. Tried various shafts and had my Fusion with me for comparison purposes.

There IS no comparison,,,,,,,,,, for ME. The only thing the TS2&3 did "better" than my combo was spin a little ('bout 200 RPM) less. The 400MAX spun considerably more (+3-400 RPM ) but was very straight so the possibility exists that, given the right shaft, that could be a gamer for me BUT, there's no way to try upcharge shafts in the Pings so that's a non-starter for me.

I hit the TS2 & 3 far less consistently. Dispersion was not very good with the 3 and only a little bit better with the 2. Neither was anywhere near as consistent as my Fusion.

I could possibly see myself with the 400MAX IF I could find the right shaft,,,,,,,,, but it's far too expensive for me to try to find it.

As for the price, for you guys for whom $100 isn't that big a deal, get yourself one and fiddle around with it. Try some different shafts for it and experiment. Maybe you'll find the right combo.

PGATSS has the Fusion, from everything I can see a poor selling club brand new, for $299. They have brand new EPICS for $279 image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' /> But on da bay you can find 'em for real cheap.

Fusion "forever". image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yahoo:' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• Striker AceStriker Ace  348WRX Points: 10Members Posts: 348
    There's a rogue max?
    Posted:
    Callaway X series driver
    Callaway BB OS 3 hybrid
    Mizuno CLK 4 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 irons
    Cleveland CBX wedge
    Nike Method putter

Callaway Superhot Bold
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6528WRX Points: 1,027Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 6,528

There's a rogue max?

Shaft.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• NoodlerNoodler  782WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 782
    I received mine about a week ago. Put an MRC Silver DC TS flex shaft in it and I like that better than the MRC Diamana Red it came with. It is way more muted than I anticipated, but I like it. Has nice pop off the face when hit on the screws. It is absolutely crazy forgiving; can get away with misses that should be way more penalizing. I have the 9* head and for the first time I have experienced hits where I'm not getting enough spin and the ball is just falling out of the air. So I bumped up the loft setting on the collar and I'm generally getting better ball flight.

So for me, straight is now less of a problem; I just need to work on getting more optimal numbers for launch and spin to get the distance where I want it. I'm looking forward to getting on a launch monitor with this driver.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1899WRX Points: 255Handicap: 17ClubWRX Posts: 1,899
    There amazing drivers for the price. I have a lot of other drivers and this is the one I trust the most.
    Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54, & 58 Wedges
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• puresurfrpuresurfr  2209WRX Points: 199Members Posts: 2,209
    I have both the TS2 and the TS3, the fusion definitely sounds better and feels better. I can also control the ball better, therefore the dispersion is somewhat tighter. However I need a lower loft due to my unorthodox swing, if the Fusion had a 8.5 deg loft with low spin, I would be gaming that. the areas where TS drivers excel is the speed across the entire face and the lower spin. Im hoping the new PXG has the look feel and control of the Fusion but the forgiveness and spin of the TS, that would be my perfect driver.
    Posted:
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4  526WRX Points: 174Lefty Boomers Posts: 526
    I am playing a Taylormade M4 right now and while it is a bomber my accuracy is lacking. I picked up one from Carl's for $99 so I am going to give it a try to see if I can get the accuracy to improve.
    Posted:
  • 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 2033WRX Points: 273Handicap: 0.7ClubWRX Posts: 2,033
    I sold my Fusion when the Rogue came out and had been using it for a while. The Rogue gave me maybe all of 1-2 mph difference in ballspeed but I am no where close to the same dispersion level that the Fusion gave me. I had the Aldila Rogue 125 shaft in the Fusion head and my spin was rarely over 1900-2100 spin and off center hits just went straight. I decided to pick back up a Fusion head for $80 and am now going to sell my Rogue. I'm perfectly happy giving up 5 yards on my best hits if it means I hit it straight almost every time. The Fusion is just point and shoot!
    Posted:
  • MolemanMoleman  582WRX Points: 104Handicap: 12Members Posts: 582
    My last two rounds sum up why I love the Fusion so much.

First one I was swinging the club beautifully and the Fusion was pretty much as long as any other driver I've played in the last few years.

Second round I found every square inch of the driver face throughout the round other than the centre and instead of hooking OB the ball was landing in the left rough, instead of slicing across three fairways it was landing in the right rough, etc, etc...

This club is almost as long (for me) than anything else I've ever tried and when I'm not finding the middle of the clubface it is much more forgiving than I have any right to expect.

Fusion forever indeed! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • johnnythundersjohnnythunders  1747WRX Points: 158ClubWRX Posts: 1,747
    Well another year with the fusion, been playing since it came 10.5 with Diamana r series stiff, driver has 16 gram weight, midsize grip, it’s very heavy. This year I was fitted in May at club champions, tried all the drivers and nothing was consistently straighter or longer. They concluded as such and said no driver needed.

Switched shafts last month to try the speeder evo 3 661 Stiff, little stiffer, little lower, more distance as more roll.. Still have the r series so I’ll do some testing over the winter on a launch monitor against a few other shafts. Driver is 10.5.

I picked up a stock 9 degree fusion with a Diamana red stiff shaft that is stock from Callaway preowned for about 89 on eBay. Looks brand new. Tried the shaft in my 10.5, way weaker, loss of distance and fade to a slice. In general the shaft is noth8ng like the r series or evo 2.

This winter we have some Pings we will demo it against, but not any other drivers. Mizuno, Wilson, taylormade and titleist all out. I might retest with a rogue or epic with proper weighting for me like the Fusion. I need a headweight 200-205 and Callaway and rogue heads are super light so I need big weights.

Love the fusion, works for me and it’s the best performance value out there, similar to Cobra encore which I played for 3-4 years before switching.
    Posted:
    2019bag Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 Stiff, Mizuno st190 5 atmos red 6 regular,  Epic flash 7 Fujikura xlr8 Regular, Rogue 11 fairway wood with Wishon s2s 85 gram black regular, Epic Flash Hybrid 6,  Mizuno 919 fli hi 6/7 kbs tour 90 regular, 8/9, PW Cobra F-max one length smacwrap 780 regular, Pw/Gw Mizuno  919 forged gold dynamic 95 regular, Mizuno s18 56 wedge gold dynamic regular, Toulon Austin, Ball Bridgestone b rx
    And for anyone commenting that the Fusion sits closed... not in my experience, no way, no how. In fact, I struggled to find a setting on the collar that got the face to sit square and not open when soled. This is not a draw biased, closed face driver. It's an uber forgiving driver that will reward duffers and scratch golfers alike. At least that's my take so far.
    Posted:
  • sfdoddsysfdoddsy  1325WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 1,325
    As the original poster, it's great to see this thread still going after 400+ posts.

I'm currently cheating on my Fusion with a G400 max, but the Ping is on a tight leash.

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Matrix
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    PXG irons
    PXG & PM Grind wedges
    Edel E3 putter
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool!  6354WRX Points: 300Members Posts: 6,354
    The G400Max is what finally booted my Fusion.

I sold the Fusion to a buddy of mine and he's killing it!
    Posted:

X________________________________
    Sign Here

**** has posted their latest [url="https://****.com/2018-driver-cg-report/"]2018 update to the driver CG location[/url] reporting. The Fusion still shows up very well among current competition. The Rogue is more draw biased. The Fusion is still one of the highest MOI drivers with the CG as close as possible to the neutral axis. I believe if you view the CGNA (CG relative to the Neutral Axis graph) and divide it into quarters, the drivers farther into the bottom right corner provide the best balance between getting the CG close the the NA while also having higher MOI. That all means that the Fusion should work well for a lot of golfers.

Clearly the timing of Callaway's release of the Fusion is part of the reason why this driver ended up flying under the radar for a lot of people. Of course there are those who can't stand to look at it, but all I care about is the results.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ewe8523ewe8523  393WRX Points: 81Handicap: 18Members Posts: 393
    I brought the Fusion back out today. I’m having issues with my driver swing (video posted on the swing videos forum if interested). The Fusion immediately gave me much better accuracy and more distance. Even on hits that I would consider to be very poor, it still went straight. It’s very hard to misshit this club.

The biggest negative for me is the sound off the face. I much prefer how to the Cobra Fly Z sounds.
    Posted:
  • me05501me05501  414WRX Points: 14Members Posts: 414
    I had a lesson yesterday with my pro. I had been hitting irons very well but still cutting my woods. We made a few tweaks and by the end of the lesson I was hitting every club as well as I am capable. Excited to keep grooving what he showed me.

For the driver, I have the ball a little further back in my stance than I had been doing (I tend to let it creep forward too much). The biggest change was to sort of pre-set the beginning of my turn at address. So he has me set up square, and then turn my hips slightly closed without moving my feet or shoulders. Just sort of setting my right hip back a little and my left hip forward. I turn from there and just kill it. I feel like I can really release the club without fearing a slice, and that full release helps it go straighter.

I don't find that the Fusion lacks any pop off the face at all, and now that I'm finding the middle of the clubface more and more often I like the solid feel that it provides. I think I can stick with this head for a long time.

FWIW my head is 10.5, and I have it set up D/+1*. My flight is rather high, but it's a steady climb to its peak with some rollout. Not too backspinny at all.
    Posted:
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4  526WRX Points: 174Lefty Boomers Posts: 526
    I received my "new" Fusion driver today from Carl's Golfland and it is definitely not new. This thing has been well used with pop up marks on the crown and toe with scuffs all along the bottom of the club. I emailed them to ask for a replacement or refund, I double checked and it shows new on the order. Little frustrating as I was going to take it to the range tomorrow and the course this weekend. Oh well, I will wait a bit longer and miss a few more fairways image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
  • johnnythundersjohnnythunders  1747WRX Points: 158ClubWRX Posts: 1,747
    Was at the range Did a quick test no detail number just my simple sc200 and eye balls. Callaway fusion 10.5 with 661 evo 3 stiff vs ping 10.5 max 661 evo 3 stiff. Both were mid size grips and weighted 343 for Callaway and 340 for ping. Sound was thud for the Callaway and Ping for the Ping. Ball flight was lower on the Callaway interested to see height and rollout on a monitor. Callaway went straight then a little 5-10 yard fade. The Max was more like 10-20 yard fade, wind was 15 mph from left to right so that was probably it or the fact the Max was going higher and the wind was potentially pushing it more.

It was 48 degrees. Even with lower ball flight the Callaway was carrying about 10 yards more than the max. As far as forgiveness, slight edge to max, I had balls marks consistent with my normal strikes, center low, center middle and toe side middle with an occasional heel shot on both clubs.

So for the price it’s a no brainer. But you have to get the headweight up on the Callaway to match the ping. Callaway clubs are just too light in stock trim.

Next week launch monitor time.

On a different note, the fairways didn’t perform as well for me, they are heavy draw biased and the head is too high. I found the Mizuno jpx 900 to be the straightest fairway wood of all the majors, not the longest but most reliably straight and longest. The speeder evo 2 real deal made in Japan 569 or 661 shaft is the best stock shaft ever offered.
    Posted:
    2019bag Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 Stiff, Mizuno st190 5 atmos red 6 regular,  Epic flash 7 Fujikura xlr8 Regular, Rogue 11 fairway wood with Wishon s2s 85 gram black regular, Epic Flash Hybrid 6,  Mizuno 919 fli hi 6/7 kbs tour 90 regular, 8/9, PW Cobra F-max one length smacwrap 780 regular, Pw/Gw Mizuno  919 forged gold dynamic 95 regular, Mizuno s18 56 wedge gold dynamic regular, Toulon Austin, Ball Bridgestone b rx
  • me05501me05501  414WRX Points: 14Members Posts: 414

Was at the range Did a quick test no detail number just my simple sc200 and eye balls. Callaway fusion 10.5 with 661 evo 3 stiff vs ping 10.5 max 661 evo 3 stiff. Both were mid size grips and weighted 343 for Callaway and 340 for ping. Sound was thud for the Callaway and Ping for the Ping. Ball flight was lower on the Callaway interested to see height and rollout on a monitor. Callaway went straight then a little 5-10 yard fade. The Max was more like 10-20 yard fade, wind was 15 mph from left to right so that was probably it or the fact the Max was going higher and the wind was potentially pushing it more.

It was 48 degrees. Even with lower ball flight the Callaway was carrying about 10 yards more than the max. As far as forgiveness, slight edge to max, I had balls marks consistent with my normal strikes, center low, center middle and toe side middle with an occasional heel shot on both clubs.

So for the price it’s a no brainer. But you have to get the headweight up on the Callaway to match the ping. Callaway clubs are just too light in stock trim.

Next week launch monitor time.

On a different note, the fairways didn’t perform as well for me, they are heavy draw biased and the head is too high. I found the Mizuno jpx 900 to be the straightest fairway wood of all the majors, not the longest but most reliably straight and longest. The speeder evo 2 real deal made in Japan 569 or 661 shaft is the best stock shaft ever offered.

Callaway sent me a 12G weight for my Fusion just for writing in and asking.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1899WRX Points: 255Handicap: 17ClubWRX Posts: 1,899
    Mine came with the 12 gram. Played this sat and had a blast with the driver. It was easily the best club in my bag. I was landing really close to where I was aiming, super straight. I cut mine to 45" as that is where I have the best ball contact.
    Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54, & 58 Wedges
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4130WRX Points: 235Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 4,130
    Can anyone comment on the face angle? Closed?Neutral?
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• junkfryjunkfry  572WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 572
    I believe mine to be neutral face angle with some draw bias. Changing the hosel adapter opens or closes the face in theory.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Jimi ThingJimi Thing  22WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 22
    [background=transparent]I currently play a Callaway fusion driver with the stock Recoil 460 shaft in stiff. I've been playing it for 2 years. at the start it worked out great for me. Back then I was swinging a bit slower as I do right now and I got great consistency and decent length out of it. Ever since mid this year I got pretty inconsistent with it and can't stop it to go left, big time sometimes. I swing faster these days as 2 years ago and can't control the head. I'm thinking it has to do with the weight and high torque of the shaft. [/background]

[background=transparent]About me, 45 years old. Hcp 6. Fitters always say I have a smooth tempo. Swing speed 92-96 mph. My strikes usually are decent. [/background]

[background=transparent]Rather than spending significant money on a new driver my desire is to find a shaft that better suits me first as I do like the Fusion head (at least in my memory). So I'm looking for a shaft that will better suit this, takes out the left more. I always thought I liked the feel of a lighter shaft (sub 60grams). Recently I hit some mid 60-65 gram shafts and that felt fine for me. I have a tough time with shafts that feel harsh, I like a bit smoother feel. [/background]

[background=transparent]You guys have any suggestions on a shaft that could bring back consistency (take left out), has lower torque I guess but still feels pretty smooth? Very open to some older types as well such that I can start testing with a couple different shafts without breaking the bank. [/background]

[background=transparent]Thanks for any help![/background]
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.