The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

1131415161719»

Comments

• ian-500ian-500 Members  1086WRX Points: 291Handicap: 12Posts: 1,086 Platinum Tees

Ok, so honestly haven't read the whole thread. Sorry. Is there any comparisons to the Rogue SZ. Yes I understand that the heads are aimed at different golfers, but did anyone go from one to the other with better results?

Ian.

Posted:
    DR: Callaway Rogue SZ 9° + Diamana W60x.
    FW: in the making.
    HY: Callaway Apex19 4h 23° + Tour AD IZ 95x.
    Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
    Wedges: iCleveland RTX3 52/58
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  338WRX Points: 147Handicap: 14Posts: 338 Greens

I find it hard to get rid of my fusion 16 driver. Feels sounds looks great i have no complaints. Also accurate. You can tell when your not being accurate or when a driver is aiding in your inaccuracy. If your on with this driver then youll be in the fairway all day. Distance also not a problem. Some of my biggest drives with this wood. 290? Yeah ill take that. Thats not every drive now but here and there i know i can krank one if the hole is wide enough. Probably average around 240 with it. I have rogue and mavrik which i havent used mavrik yet because of a certain pandemic happening at the momment but i just cant seem to want to het rid of it. Especially when everyone wants to buy it for $100 or less... this is no $100 or less driver. So i cant see it going bye bye.

Posted:
  • ninjabninjab Members  145WRX Points: 69Posts: 145 Fairways

Also still love this driver. May go to a couple demo days later this year if they don't all get cancelled, but I doubt this gets knocked out, on simulator hitting better than ever with it, have the 9.5* model playing heavy weight and 45.25".

Posted:
  • jbandalojbandalo Members  140WRX Points: 65Handicap: 10.7Posts: 140 Fairways

All courses in BC Canada have been for forced to close now. Bummer, was looking forward to hitting the Fusion driver this weekend.

Posted:
    DRIVER - CALLWAY EPIC SZ
    FAIRWAY WOODS -  CALLAWAY EPIC SZ 3W
    HYBRIDS - CALLAWAY APEX 2H & 3H
    IRONS - CALLWAY APEX PRO 4-PW
    WEDGES - CLEVELAND CBX2 52, 56 & 60
    PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT 2
    BALL - TITLEIST PRO AVX
    BAG - PING PIONEER
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5+
    RANGEFINDER - BUSHNELL PRO XE

All courses in BC Canada have been forced to close. Bummer. Was looking forward to this weekends round and hitting the Fusion driver again.

Posted:
    DRIVER - CALLWAY EPIC SZ
    BALL - TITLEIST PRO AVX
    BAG - PING PIONEER
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5+

Courses starting to reopen so finally got to play the Fusion driver again for the first time in years. Hit 10/13 fairways and long as well.

The surprising Callaway Fusion driver is right.

Posted:
    DRIVER - CALLWAY EPIC SZ
    BALL - TITLEIST PRO AVX
    BAG - PING PIONEER
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5+
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ninjabninjab Members  145WRX Points: 69Posts: 145 Fairways

Been hitting driver alot further this year, 260-280 total vs 230-250 last year. Found I was having a really hard time slicing it with the added distance. Changed out the stock Diamana M+(red high launch profile) for a S+(blue mid launch profile, I have been using in my 5 wood with good success).

Instant improvement, much better consistency and way less problem leaving it out right. Both are stiff but S+ seems stiffer and more in control. Launch stayed basically the same, 16* Launch Angle with under 2000 backspin. 9* head set to neutral.

Shaft change may keep the Fusion firmly in my bag.

Posted:
  • pearsonifiedpearsonified Extreme enthusiast Members  1839WRX Points: 130Handicap: 1.7Posts: 1,839 Platinum Tees

I remember hitting the Fusion back in 2017 and comparing it to my two favorite heads at the time, the TM AeroBurner and 2017 M2.

I did all my testing on a Foresight GC2 launch monitor, so the only hard data I had was ball speed, spin, and launch angle...but the Fusion was so good compared to the TM heads that it definitely got—and kept—my attention.

After that round of testing, I stuck with the 2017 M2 because I didn't want to play a "game improvement" driver like the Fusion, even though the launch monitor numbers suggested it might actually be the best fit. My rationale for choosing the M2 was that I had a few balls go uncomfortably left with the Fusion, and the left side of the golf course was my biggest enemy back then.

••••••••••

After tearing a ligament in my right wrist in July 2017, my driving went to sh*t. I went from ball speeds in the mid-170s to the low-160s; my contact became grossly inconsistent; and I lost confidence in what had formerly been my greatest weapon.

While trying to "find something," I bounced around between the 2017 M2, AeroBurner, Ping G, Ping G400 Max, and Callaway Rogue, but nothing had a positive, lasting effect on my driving.

Eventually, I gained access to a Trackman, and I was able to pair some better data to my anecdotal results. The numbers were underwhelming—no matter which head I used, my smash factor was between 1.44 and 1.48.

Considering your driver should deliver the highest smash factor in the bag, 1.44–1.48 simply isn't going to cut it.

I already knew my smash factor was trash with driver, but I started to become less accepting of this fact earlier this year when I hit the SIM 15º fairway metal. Every strike with this thing was between 1.49 and 1.51, which seemed to suggest that similar results could/should be possible with a driver.

••••••••••

Right before quarantine started, I ordered a TM SIM Max 10.5º head that performed well during testing, with smash factors up around the 1.48 mark and a nice, high launch. As soon as I got my actual head, though, my smash factor dropped to 1.47 (at best), and I couldn't keep the ball off the right side of the course.

Frustrated, I swapped out the SIM Max for a Titleist TS3 head, which also produced smash factors of 1.47–1.48 during testing. I liked that TS3 head a LOT—it felt fantastic, and the ball did what I thought it should do based on the feeling at impact.

But a 1.48 smash factor is still pretty undesirable if that's the best number you ever see.

And on top of that, Titleist went into coronavirus lockdown, and the TS3 head I ordered was delayed indefinitely.

Impatient and annoyed with my driver testing, I went over to eBay and made an impulse purchase for the ages: a Callaway Fusion with Matrix Black Tie 75M4.

••••••••••

This past Tuesday, I scheduled a Trackman session with two friends who actually have good golf swings (unlike my gorilla hulk smash move), and we went crazy with smash factor testing.

We hit **** near every club you can imagine, and we kept at it for 3.5 hours, generating over 250 shots of data.

Out of all those shots, only four drivers produced smash factors of 1.49 or higher:

• TM SIM 9º

• Titleist TS3 8.5º (9.5º topped out at 1.48)

• Cobra SpeedZone 9º (I couldn't get this thing over 1.44, but one of the guys was 1.48–1.49 on almost every swing. He ended up buying one, as it was his top performer by far.)

• Callaway Fusion 9º

And of those 4 drivers, only one produced smash factors of 1.5 or higher (with quite a few 1.51s thrown in there for good measure)—the Callaway Fusion.

It wasn't a fluke, either—the Fusion delivered 1.49–1.51 on almost every swing! In my case, it also had the tightest dispersion by nearly 50% (over the TS3).

••••••••••

Now, it ain't all unicorns and rainbows. I don't love the way the ball feels off the face of the Fusion—it's "soft" where the TM SIM is "thuddy" and the TS3 is "pingy." I prefer a nice combo of pingy and thuddy, but that's just me.

The Fusion also wants to go dead straight. My "draws" get maybe 3 yards of right-to-left rip. I can cut it more easily—mostly because I fade longer clubs anyway—but the ball still doesn't want to drift very far off its starting line.

Ultimately, the Fusion delivers the greatest contact efficiency and, for me, the highest launch angle (versus the other drivers I've tested). This combination has made it clear I should stick with the Fusion and not waste my money on newer drivers that fail to produce the same smash factor.

Perhaps the same will be true for you as well. If you've performed similar testing, I'd love to hear the results!

Bottom line for me? The Fusion is my gamer, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Posted:
    Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix Black Tie 75m4 X
    TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
    Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
    Adams CMB 4-P •• DG TI S400
    TM MG 50º/9º •• Project X LZ 5.5
    TM MG 54º/11º •• DG Wedge
    TM ATV Grind Tour Spin 60º •• KBS 105 Wedge
    TM TP Patina Del Monte 35"

2020 Index: 1.7
    2020 Anti: 5.5
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  795WRX Points: 509Posts: 795 Golden Tee

This club will not die. After a couple rounds with a new-to-me Mizuno T190 and a horrendous driving day last week, I put the Fusion back in the bag. And like magic, my ball was back in play.

I don't know why the pulled back shape is so confidence-inspiring to me. It feels like I can't miss the sweet spot.

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion driver
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrids
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Ping Heppler ZB3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.