Members' Choice: What Are The Best Exotic Players Irons of 2017?

atursky ·  
aturskyatursky Members  699WRX Points: 30Posts: 699 Bunkers
Joined:  edited Apr 19, 2017 in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment #1
Members' Choice: The Best Exotic Players Irons of 2017

Attention GolfWRX Forum Members! Along with providing your expertise on the "Best Players Irons of 2017," we need your help figuring out the answer to the question "What are the best Exotic Players Irons of 2017?”

We've broken down players irons into two separate categories: Players Irons and Exotic Players Irons. To vote on Players Irons, click here.

Vote in the poll above for Best Exotic Players irons by selecting exactly three models. Remember, please vote based on your personal experience with the irons. Things to consider include distance, forgiveness, workability, trajectory control, looks and feel.

After you've voted, in a post below, please explain exactly what lead to your decisions. You can use any format you'd like in your response, but we've provided an example below as a reference. We want to hear about launch angle, spin rate, stability on off-center hits, sound… everything. And don’t forget to tell us about the differences you saw in your fitting between your old gamers and your new gamers.

-- Iron Model 1: I like the forgiveness this iron provides, while still being workable. It provided me the best over all numbers.

-- Iron Model 2:I like its sleek look and buttery soft feel. The long irons fly longer and straighter than my gamer set and with better stopping power.

-- Iron Model 3: This iron, for whatever reason, just fits my eye the best and I can really control trajectory. I can hit any shot; low, high, cut and draw."

Thank you for participating, and the results will be posted in the coming weeks in an article on our front page!
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mxtitleistgolfermxtitleistgolfer Members  1936WRX Points: 128Posts: 1,936 Platinum Tees
    What is the definition of "exotic" here? Price greater than $1,500?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • RMGC_NVRMGC_NV Members  324WRX Points: 96Posts: 324 Greens
    Are you really trying to shoehorn a poll for PXG? image/telephone.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':telephone:' />
    Posted:
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members  3855WRX Points: 592Posts: 3,855 Titanium Tees
    How is Ping2.0 considered exotic?
    Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • Jack_HJack_H Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers  30763WRX Points: 7,047Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,763 Titanium Tees
    How is pxg " exotic". Is there a Japanese release I don't know about ?
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan Raw  53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX  4928WRX Points: 350Handicap: 9Posts: 4,928 ClubWRX

Especially since you can get a Honma TW iron set at the PGASS for less than half the $$ of the PXGs. Same with Fourteen.
    Posted:
    M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *

(¬¬)
    OLD--WITB Link
  • friedeggliefriedegglie Members  88WRX Points: 24Handicap: 3Posts: 88 Bunkers
    jokerusn wrote:

Especially since you can get a Honma TW iron set at the PGASS for less than half the $$ of the PXGs. Same with Fourteen.

Agreed, overpriced doesn't equal exotic....
    Posted:
    Steal Your Face Right Off Your Head

WITB 18

'17 M2 9.5 Hazardous T1100
    '17 M2 14 Hazardous T1100
    '17 M2 17 Hazardous T1100
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW Recoil Stiff
    Vokey SM6 52,56,60 Recoil Stiff
    Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5

Advertisement
  • azgolfer64azgolfer64 azgolfer1964 Members  133WRX Points: 73Handicap: 9Posts: 133 Fairways
    What about the Titleist C16 iron???
    Posted:
  • zakkozuchowskizakkozuchowski GolfWRX Editor Members  1163WRX Points: 70Posts: 1,163 Platinum Tees

What is the definition of "exotic" here? Price greater than $1,500?

Our editorial team went back and forth on what an "exotic" players iron is. In most cases, price was the biggest factor. The majority of these irons sell for more than $1199.99, which is about the top end of the U.S. market. But as other members have pointed out, there are a few irons on this list that don't cost that much. There are also irons on our other players irons list that cost more than $1199.99.

So what we determined for these lists was that an "exotic" players iron is something that is more limited in its availability, particularly in its availability for GolfWRX Members to test. Most of the irons on this list are sold only through a small network of elite club fitters. Because we're aiming to collect votes and feedback from GolfWRX Members who have actually hit these clubs, we decided to separate out these "harder to test" players irons. We're looking forward to your votes and feedback on these irons so we can share it with our readers on the front page.
    Posted:
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members  3527WRX Points: 4Handicap: 5Posts: 3,527 Titanium Tees
    If PXG's or T-MB's beat Miura, I've lost faith in humanity.

Pure carbon forgings vs hollow clubs with plastic inserts. Let the games begin! lol

Joking aside, the latter irons do perform, and there's no denying it, so it's kinda interesting to see if people prefer the new technology over craftsmanship and quality.
    Posted:
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7
  • Phinish LinePhinish Line Blaze On Members  2WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6Posts: 2
    XXIO Should be in here
    Posted:
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members  1678WRX Points: 244Handicap: 2.7Posts: 1,678 Platinum Tees
    I voted for Honma but could just as easily have voted for Miura. I don't view the PXG's as a players iron. To me, that iron should be in a different category that's apart from Japanese forgings. It's more in tune with the Titleist T-MB's but apples and oranges with typical JDM forgings. It's exotic, but it's more a game improvement club.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • YrianYrian Members  12WRX Points: 0Posts: 12
    Shouldn't the Taylormade P750's really be here rather than in players irons? Both due to price point and availability based on your above criteria?

Anyhow only tested 4 of these so don't feel I can weigh in as it would be voting for the only ones I've tried...

For what it's worth my vote would be Miura CB's and the PXG's
    Posted:
  • SmoothStroker81SmoothStroker81 I'd rather be driving a Kirkland Sig Members  207WRX Points: 0Posts: 207
    I have only played the Miura CB-57s, but they are super sweet and solid. Not so soft that you don't feel much like a Mizuno blade. Paired with Modus3 shafts make a very smooth, but solid feel.
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 9.5 Rogue 125 70TX
    3W: Taylormade M2 15 Tour AD Di-7X
    5W: Taylormade M1 19 Tour AD Di-7X
    2i & 4i Honma TW-U Forged w/ Nippon Modus 105X
    5i-PW: Miura CB-57 w/ Nippon Modus 120X
    Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
    Putter: Black Lab BL-1
    Bag: Ping Hoofer
  • soonapasoonapa Members  14WRX Points: 0Posts: 14
    My Srixon 745's are Endo forged and are soft as butter. Picked up a set in mint condition for $350. I like Bridgestone, but they have no chance in the US with that pricing. Wait a few months and the price with plummet ( i.e.... Tour Edge when they release and exotic product )
    Posted:
  • numberonecoognumberonecoog Members  495WRX Points: 69Posts: 495 Greens
    IF its hard to test these arnt you just getting results base don what people think? How many people can say they have hit all of these?
    Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9346WRX Points: 837Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,346 ClubWRX
    Should check out TSG and revamp the list a bit. IMO 'exotic' should mean you can't buy them at your local big box store.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardinalluvcardinalluv mckinney, texasMembers  62WRX Points: 40Posts: 62 Bunkers
    I currently play the Honma TW737Vn irons..extremely forgiving with the soft forging feel that comes with high quality Japanese forgings.

Coupled with the Nippon Modus 105 Regular Flex..I am 61 years old with a 8 handicap.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback Fuji Atmos Regular
    Tour Edge Exotic CB119 Project X Even Flow Regular
    Tour Edge Exotic CB119 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Regular
    Honma TW 737Vn 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105 Regular
    Titelst Vokey Design SM7 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold Spinner Regular
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 7
    Bridgestone B330RX or Vice Pro Plus
  • fsuspfsusp FloridaMembers  932WRX Points: 95Handicap: 1.8 indexPosts: 932 Golden Tee
    I don't know what year the United SBB1s came out, but if possible, they should be considered.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5 turned down to 9.5 w/Atmos Black 6x
    Cobra F8+ w/Rouge Silver extra stiff
    Srixon U45 20* w/Rouge Silver 70 gram stiff.
    Srxion 565 4-7 irons, 765 8-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 4.0s 50 and 54
    Titleist Vokey 58/12 D grind.
    Edel or SGC Norwood or Xenon Kutlass
  • badstrickbadstrick I'd Hit That! It's Tour Issued! Members  173WRX Points: 84Posts: 173 Fairways
    PXG just perform you have to know how to hit the middle of club. Titleist MB-T just look great at address they just seem to launch a little high for me. How can you not vote for a Moira forging?
    Posted:
  • VegamanVegaman Members  1082WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,082
    fsusp wrote:

I don't know what year the United SBB1s came out, but if possible, they should be considered.

Aren't United clubs just restamped Kyoei OMs?
    Posted:
  • IdexxrobIdexxrob Members  5WRX Points: 0Handicap: 5Posts: 5
    Far too many people knocking PXG's. It's getting really boring.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members  8040WRX Points: 619Posts: 8,040 Titanium Tees
    This poll, like most on here, is pointless. How are you defining exotic? Who has actually tried all of these? Just throw all of these into the other pointless poll instead of skewing it so PXG comes out on top and they can retweet your "findings".
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10.5° (-) | (fw tbd) | PING G410 19° (F-) | PING i25 22°, 26° | Callaway XHP 6-AW | PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES | PING Scottsdale TR B60, 34.5"
    Srixon Z-Star Yellow
  • KscarguyKscarguy Members  148WRX Points: 38Handicap: 8Posts: 148 Fairways
    Kuro from onoff are my choice. Best exotics out there
    Posted:
  • Ben BerubeBen Berube Benny B Members  3100WRX Points: 450Handicap: 5Posts: 3,100 Titanium Tees
    I have Ari personal Scratch prototype AR's built by both DW and JM with a COA from Ari himself. They are raw, butter and maybe the best irons I have ever hit. Hands down the coolest irons since no one will ever have these nor be able to find a duplicate set. IMO these would qualify for "exotic".
    Posted:
    WITB
    - TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black or KK Proto 60s
    - TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD  & TI Sldr Mini 14*w/ PX 7c3
    - CBX 18* and 20* w/ Haz Yellow - 910 17-19* w Diamana
    - Srixon z945’s w/s400 
    - Tour Issue Cleveland CG10 54-60
    -Putters  - VLine Tank wrist lock / Tank 1 Versa wrist lock / TC VLine WHP
    Testing - Everything and Anything to try and improve. Golf is all what you make of it. 

***** TRADES?????*******
  • Downtown_Brown_41Downtown_Brown_41 AlabamaMembers  668WRX Points: 169Handicap: 4Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    This poll is brought to you by PXG & WRX. Nobody skews polls the way we do. Period.

Kidding aside my vote would be TM 750's since they should be on here and could be considered exotic due to price and availability
    Posted:
    F8+ 
    917 F2 16.5 
    SLDR 3H
    P750 Raw 4-5 
    P730 Raw 6-9
    Vokey 47° 
    TM EF 52° 
    Hi Toe 56° 
    Vokey 60° 
    Spider Tour Black T
    V1x 

• NTKT10NTKT10 Members  1029WRX Points: 102Posts: 1,029 Platinum Tees
    Pretty weak poll WRX.

The majority of voters likely haven't hit half the clubs on the list, there's hundreds of votes and note a single post explaining the reasoning behind one's votes. Add to this the fact that the list leaves off quite a few of the actual well liked exotic irons.

A simple look at the JDM section would provide better information. Where's the option for OnOff Kuro or CB358, Yamaha RMX Tour Model (only 2000 sets/year), Vega VC or VDC, etc. The T-MB or PXG aren't even remotely close to the JDM forgings in terms of feel.
    Posted:
    Tourstage X drive 709 Diamana B 70
    TEE CB4 15* Attas T2
    TEE CB3 18* Exotics Motore
    Yamaha Inpres X V Forged 4-PW Modus 125
    Callaway MD3 52*/58*
    MannKrafted MA/66 #05/50

Advertisement
  • bunter101bunter101 The KingdomMembers  1818WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,818 Platinum Tees
    badstrick wrote:

PXG just perform you have to know how to hit the middle of club. Titleist MB-T just look great at address they just seem to launch a little high for me. How can you not vote for a Moira forging?

Every Iron 'performs' if you hit the middle of the club. Performance differentials will be purely subjective to the person using them rather than them actually performing any better. They haven't reinvented the wheel..
    Posted:
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
    Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
    Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
    Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
    52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
    58 Ping Tour S
    Rife Bimini[/font]
  • Andrew Bond of GlencoeAndrew Bond of Glencoe Members  652WRX Points: 1Handicap: 2.5Posts: 652 Golden Tee
    Why does exotic have to mean Japanese?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.