Kansas City Membership - Best Deal in Town?

dogolfer

Hello-

I had posted here a couple years ago when I moved to town. (see prior post). I followed up with many of you - really appreciate the feedback.

Hoping to join a course as I still have a little bit of Junior (pre-35) years left. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/recommendations/info on the below. Ideally, I would love a course with a low downstroke as I would like to "try" the course for a year prior to committing. Really just looking for a good deal and a great course.

As always, thanks in advance!

Potential Courses:

1. Indian Hill
  2. Milburn
  3. Lions Gate
  4. Great Life (Staley, Canyon Farms, Hillcrest, Falcon Ridge, etc.)
  5. Shadow Glen
  6. Others?

Likely out due to $$$$ and/or lack of connections (unless others have new $ information)

1. Kansas City
  2. Mission Hills
  3. Hallbrook
  4. The National
  5. Wolf Creek

I went through this decision 18 months ago, and despite living on Milburn, I joined Lionsgate.

It ultimately comes down to two factors, I believe. Location and cost. So first, where do you live and/or work? That will influence your decision. Shadow Glen is a jaunt, but if you live in West Lenexa, it is by far the best option. Then, how tight is your budget?

For me, I work in South Overland Park, so it is easy for me to get to Lionsgate over lunch or after work. Milburn ending up being just a touch out of my price range, mostly due to the first year costs, because I had just bought my home. They wanted twice as much Lionsgate/Shadow for initiation and roughly $200 more per month with higher dues and food & beverage minimums. So then it was down to Shadow Glen and Lionsgate. Shadow has the best practice facility in town, which was very hard to turn down. But I ended up going with Lionsgate due to proximity to work and incentives thrown in with my initiation.

I think Indian Hills' costs may be closer to Mission/KCCC than Milburn, Shadow, and Lionsgate. I don't know what Wolf is charging now. I like the practice facilities out there and the greens are phenomenal, but I think the course is overrated (but still good).

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Hello-

I had posted here a couple years ago when I moved to town. (see prior post). I followed up with many of you - really appreciate the feedback.

Hoping to join a course as I still have a little bit of Junior (pre-35) years left. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/recommendations/info on the below. Ideally, I would love a course with a low downstroke as I would like to "try" the course for a year prior to committing. Really just looking for a good deal and a great course.

Potential Courses:

1. Indian Hill
  2. Milburn
  3. Lions Gate
  5. Shadow Glen
  6. Others?

Likely out due to $$$$ and/or lack of connections (unless others have new $ information)

1. Kansas City
  2. Mission Hills
  3. Hallbrook
  4. The National
  5. Wolf Creek

Qmany is right - your location is going to dictate the best recommendations. He is also right that Indian Hills is closer to the KCCC/Mission Hills numbers than the Lionsgate/Shadow Glen numbers. I am also a junior member at Lionsgate and chose it based on proximity to both my house and my office and cost. I think there are far better courses around (was previously a member at Loch Lloyd, which I loved, but the location and the management weren't my favorite).

Hallbrook is nearing the KCCC/Mission Hills/Indian Hills numbers, but not all the way there. Also, it has my least favorite hole of all time, #9, so that's a definite strike against it. Wolf Creek is a fantastic experience with a great membership, but if you have a family or don't live close, it's not entirely practical. Great life gives you options, but I am not a big fan of many of those options. Country Club of Leawood (formerly Leawood South) has good deals and a young membership, so that's worth a look. Ironhorse, although it's public, has a pretty reasonable yearly deal (sub $3k for golf and carts, I believe).

Let us know where you're located and how far you want to travel, and that will help in recommendations.

Agreed on location, which is a huge determining factor. I was a member at a greatlife course before it became greatlife and have continued. It's nice to have options around town to mix it up but my home course is right between work and home so it's ideally situated for me.

Greatlife is looking to make their classic plus tier private, which in my opinion make it an awesome deal if they can pull it off.

If money and/or location were no concern, I think I'd join at the National personally.

I'd never really thought of that before, but I think I'd probably choose Shadow Glen. They have that amazing practice facility, including the bays during the winter, that would be hard to turn down. While Wolf Creek has something similar but smaller, I think Shadow is probably a better course; Wolf Creek has 3-4 poor golf holes. It is unfortunate Shadow isn't really walkable. MHCC, KCCC, IHCC, and Hallbrook aren't my vibe at all.

Taylormade TP5

Hello-

Potential Courses:

1. Indian Hill
  2. Milburn
  3. Lions Gate
  5. Shadow Glen
  6. Others?

1. Kansas City
  2. Mission Hills
  3. Hallbrook
  4. The National
  5. Wolf Creek

Qmany is right - your location is going to dictate the best recommendations. He is also right that Indian Hills is closer to the KCCC/Mission Hills numbers than the Lionsgate/Shadow Glen numbers. I am also a junior member at Lionsgate and chose it based on proximity to both my house and my office and cost. I think there are far better courses around (was previously a member at Loch Lloyd, which I loved, but the location and the management weren't my favorite).

Hallbrook is nearing the KCCC/Mission Hills/Indian Hills numbers, but not all the way there. Also, it has my least favorite hole of all time, #9, so that's a definite strike against it. Wolf Creek is a fantastic experience with a great membership, but if you have a family or don't live close, it's not entirely practical. Great life gives you options, but I am not a big fan of many of those options. Country Club of Leawood (formerly Leawood South) has good deals and a young membership, so that's worth a look. Ironhorse, although it's public, has a pretty reasonable yearly deal (sub $3k for golf and carts, I believe).

Let us know where you're located and how far you want to travel, and that will help in recommendations.

If you don't mind, shoot me a PM with rough cost for Loch Loyd & Lionsgate (under-30 if that makes a difference).

wolf creek was dirt cheap for jr's last i heard, but i thought that was kind of a weird place that i wouldn't really want to "hang out" at.

i don't know what the membership at the national or shadow is like, but i like the atmosphere at lions gate, it's a good track, and last i knew was reasonably priced.

things like walkability are VERY important to me, but may not be to you.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

wolf creek was dirt cheap for jr's last i heard, but i thought that was kind of a weird place that i wouldn't really want to "hang out" at.

i don't know what the membership at the national or shadow is like, but i like the atmosphere at lions gate, it's a good track, and last i knew was reasonably priced.

things like walkability are VERY important to me, but may not be to you.

My brother in law is at Wolf Creek and apparently the membership shot up when it was cheap, so prices have escalated quickly. I love the atmosphere there, but can understand why others may not. Certainly a different environment than your family-oriented clubs, which I think is what I enjoyed. Would be a great second club if you've got the scratch.

If money and/or location were no concern, I think I'd join at the National personally.

I'd never really thought of that before, but I think I'd probably choose Shadow Glen. They have that amazing practice facility, including the bays during the winter, that would be hard to turn down. While Wolf Creek has something similar but smaller, I think Shadow is probably a better course; Wolf Creek has 3-4 poor golf holes. It is unfortunate Shadow isn't really walkable. MHCC, KCCC, IHCC, and Hallbrook aren't my vibe at all.

I am curious to see if your 3-4 poor holes at Wolf Creek are the same as mine. I'd have to put #8, #12, and #16 on my list of poor holes, but as a whole, I enjoy the course.

I am curious to see if your 3-4 poor holes at Wolf Creek are the same as mine. I'd have to put #8, #12, and #16 on my list of poor holes, but as a whole, I enjoy the course.

Exactly, and I'd probably add #9.

Taylormade TP5

#8 is that huge drop off to the ski slope green right? and #12 is the one with the trees in the middle of the fairway? and #16 is that steep uphill to that tiny green with the big tree on the left?

do i remember those right?

all of those played the same from what i remember, basically requiring a precise long iron/hybrid, and another accurate approach.

I thought the goofiest one was #14? maybe? where you cross over water 3 times on a par 5 and it takes driver out of your hand?

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

#8 is that huge drop off to the ski slope green right? and #12 is the one with the trees in the middle of the fairway? and #16 is that steep uphill to that tiny green with the big tree on the left?

do i remember those right?

all of those played the same from what i remember, basically requiring a precise long iron/hybrid, and another accurate approach.

Correct!

I thought the goofiest one was #14? maybe? where you cross over water 3 times on a par 5 and it takes driver out of your hand?

I don't mind #14 that much. Depending on the tees, driver is okay and a good risk-reward depending how much you want to cut off the pond. From the tips, it is 300 to the right edge of the bunker and 345 to run out of FW on the edge of the pond.

Taylormade TP5

i never played it all the way back, that's not quite so bad.

the group i always played with it was either like a 3i at that bunker straight down the fairway, or going way right over the water which was like a 270 carry but you ran out at 300.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Wow - Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate it. I currently live in Midtown and work downtown. So unfortunately, the courses are all somewhat of a drive.

I feel like two years ago there were some bargains to be had - but harder to come by now.

I appreciate the feedback a ton. Hadn't really thought about Blue Hills. May look into that. At this point, I think it would be Greatlife, Lionsgate, Shadow, or Blue Hills.

I'll update this as I do some research. Always welcome any additional feedback too

Hello-

Potential Courses:

1. Indian Hill
  2. Milburn
  3. Lions Gate
  5. Shadow Glen
  6. Others?

1. Kansas City
  2. Mission Hills
  3. Hallbrook
  4. The National
  5. Wolf Creek

What's the big knock on #9? I've never really heard any complaints on it.

Wow - Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate it. I currently live in Midtown and work downtown. So unfortunately, the courses are all somewhat of a drive.

I feel like two years ago there were some bargains to be had - but harder to come by now.

I appreciate the feedback a ton. Hadn't really thought about Blue Hills. May look into that. At this point, I think it would be Greatlife, Lionsgate, Shadow, or Blue Hills.

I'll update this as I do some research. Always welcome any additional feedback too

I completely forgot about Oakwood CC. My brother and his buddies joined on a trial summer membership last year. They played a ton of golf. The place is never crowded and it's probably easier to get to from midtown than any of the aforementioned clubs. It's an old parkland style course without a single house on the property. Some good golf holes out there. It's pretty reasonable as far as initiation and dues as well.

Hillcrest is pretty close to midtown/downtown.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a very similar situation, i.e., a few years left before I hit 35. Not sure about you, but I'm married to a non-golfer and have two little boys who I hope will come to enjoy golf with me.

I'm a new "member" to GreatLife, and I'd say the overall experience has been somewhere between okay and good. The staff/people are fantastic, and the pricing is great. The above comments about their intended goal of going private is something that I've also heard. That said, there are enough of the usual non-private headaches (slow play, poor course conditions, outside events) that have me looking at going private. Falcon and Prairie are in good shape. Deer Creek continues to have the same struggles with greens and teeboxes. I've also heard that GreatLife is trying to make Canyon Farms its centerpiece, whatever that means.

I've only spoken to Wolf Creek and Shadow Glen so far. Here are my thoughts:

Shadow Glen - It's the best I've seen in town in terms of the quality of the course, practice facilities, and clubhouse/locker rooms. The handful of members whom I met seemed really nice. It had a down-to-earth and not at all stuffy vibe, which I liked. They have three membership tiers, a junior membership (under 35), an intermediate membership (35-40), and a full membership (40+). Initiations have been around 4k, 6k, and 10k, and monthly pre-tax dues are around 450, 620, and 800. They have a number of additional leagues/competitions that look like fun. If golf is the focus and the location isn't off-putting for you, this might be your best bet.

Wolf Creek - You probably know already that this is exclusively a men's club. Personally, I don't mind that aspect or how far south this club is located (183rd and Lackman). That said, I was a little put off by what I thought was a high initiation of 12.5k. I think this number was much lower a few years back, but my guess is that the club succeeded in driving up membership. There are only two membership levels, junior (under 40) and full (40+), and the respective pre-tax monthly dues are about 400 and 600.

I reached out to Lionsgate, as that happens to be the geographically closest one to me. I've not heard anything back. Having played it a couple times before, it's usually really well maintained. Plenty of people in the area are quick to knock it as boring, subdivision golf. I don't necessarily share that view, but I understand it.

EDIT: Adding a note to say that I left GreatLIFE before the end of the contract and joined Lionsgate. It's only been a few months, but I've been very pleased.

I reached out to Lionsgate, as that happens to be the geographically closest one to me. I've not heard anything back. Having played it a couple times before, it's usually really well maintained. Plenty of people in the area are quick to knock it as boring, subdivision golf. I don't necessarily share that view, but I understand it.

I'm a member at Lionsgate. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions. Our Membership Director just took the GM position at another Club Corp course in Michigan, so this transition may explain their lack of response. I'd be happy to get you in touch with someone ASAP and get you out for a practice round, if you'd like.

The pricing structure is much closer to Shadow Glen than Wolf Creek.

Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...

Curious this groups thoughts on Brookridge? No membership fees or minimums. Have options for just 9 holes or 18. The price is very good at the moment.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
TaylorMade 3W 15º | Diamana Fairway 75 X
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron 20º | Diamana Thump 100 X
TaylorMade P770 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG2 52º & 56º  | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60º  | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag

Curious this groups thoughts on Brookridge? No membership fees or minimums. Have options for just 9 holes or 18. The price is very good at the moment.

The 9 hole course is not really a legitimate course, designed more for a quick walk and it winds through a neighborhood. If I lived right on the course I would join but other than that not really for me.

Brookridge will be closing soon is the rumor (main 18 hole course), the property has been purchased and will be redeveloped into real estate of some sort. I would be surprised if the club was around a year or so from now. The same thing happened at Meadowbrook , which I was a member of and it has been bull dozed.

http://www.curtinpropertycompany.com/project-facts/

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The 9 hole course is not really a legitimate course, designed more for a quick walk and it winds through a neighborhood. If I lived right on the course I would join but other than that not really for me.

Brookridge will be closing soon is the rumor (main 18 hole course), the property has been purchased and will be redeveloped into real estate of some sort. I would be surprised if the club was around a year or so from now. The same thing happened at Meadowbrook , which I was a member of and it has been bull dozed.

http://www.curtinpro.../project-facts/

Coming back to this thread for two reasons: (1) to add that I have also heard that Brookridge is in line for development and will not be around much longer; and (2) to more strongly say that I do not recommend Great Life, which has gotten worse the further we move into the season. If anyone has questions about Great Life, feel free to message me for an insider's perspective.

http://www.curtinpropertycompany.com/project-facts/

I'm a member of Brookridge, I dabbled back and forth between Brookridge and lionsgate. At the time I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it so went with brookridge because of the low cost. After three years of membership, I regret it. The course is really nice, the staff is great, but the members are old (no offense) already have the cliques and don't necessarily welcome in outsiders. It's not a very social club. The staff tries but the culture just isn't there for new members. I recently talked to the GM is it sounds like in 2 years the course will be down to 9 holes only. It's too bad, the track is a lot of fun. The clubhouse is nice, it has a great fitness center and indoor hitting bays with GC2. If you want to test to see if a club is for you it wouldn't be a bad idea...

For me in about two years I might join lionsgate or won't join a club at all. My girls are older, busier and right now the time isn't there to justify the expense.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

http://www.curtinpro.../project-facts/

I'm a member of Brookridge, I dabbled back and forth between Brookridge and lionsgate. At the time I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it so went with brookridge because of the low cost. After three years of membership, I regret it. The course is really nice, the staff is great, but the members are old (no offense) already have the cliques and don't necessarily welcome in outsiders. It's not a very social club. The staff tries but the culture just isn't there for new members. I recently talked to the GM is it sounds like in 2 years the course will be down to 9 holes only. It's too bad, the track is a lot of fun. The clubhouse is nice, it has a great fitness center and indoor hitting bays with GC2. If you want to test to see if a club is for you it wouldn't be a bad idea...

For me in about two years I might join lionsgate or won't join a club at all. My girls are older, busier and right now the time isn't there to justify the expense.

Interesting to hear all of this. What I was told is that they will be closing down 9 holes (not sure which) at the end of 2018 and 18 holes will be around for 10-20 years. I do like the facility but havent really played at all there yet. I was curious about the culture and wondering about the age (we are 48, 44) of most of the members. It will be interesting to see what the couples league will be like at the end of the month.

The other reason we wanted a club is because of the fitness center, pool, and being able to dine there. More or less a one stop shop.... We shall see.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
TaylorMade 3W 15º | Diamana Fairway 75 X
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron 20º | Diamana Thump 100 X
TaylorMade P770 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG2 52º & 56º  | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60º  | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
TaylorMade TP5 | TP5x

Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag