Shorts with a shorter inseam

Why are all golf shorts standard with an 11" inseam? Pretty much every short company from other sports to recreational companies makes shorts with 7-9" inseams but golf likes to stick with an 11" inseam. Is it a tradition thing?

I'm under 6' tall and any inseam over 9" goes below my knees which is unacceptable. We all you know can't trust a man with shorts below his knees.

Does anyone make a golf short or 'dri fit' short with a smaller than 10" inseam?
Long Live Nike

Comments

• ekempinekempin Members Posts: 16
    Check bonobos golf. I believe they have 8 and 10 inch inseams. Great fitting and feeling stuff
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,027 ✭✭
    $8 and any short has a 9" inseam

seamstress-sewing-clothes-on-sewing-machine-in-design-studio-f0w57h.jpg
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    2bGood wrote:

lol duh anything can be hemmed....but if I'm paying $50-80 for shorts I would rather not have to wait 7 days and pay $10 more dollars to wear my shorts.
    Long Live Nike
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,235 ✭✭
    Why not just buy the sorts from the other sports that have the inseam length you want? Why golf shorts? Other than cargo or some of the more specialized sports models, most shorts are essentially the same. I have several pair of Columbia shorts with 8" inseams. They aren't advertised as golf shorts but other than the cut and fit they are no different than the Nike ones I used to have. The Haggar Cool 18model has 9.5 inseam and are a very nice short. Its all I wore for years until I added the Columbia ones that I picked up at a very good price.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • stevopagolfstevopagolf Members Posts: 1,464 ✭✭
    Tommy Bahama lets you order the inseam length now when you order from their website. Other than that go see your local dry cleaner and pony up the $15 (expensive here outside Philly)
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,027 ✭✭

2bGood wrote:

lol duh anything can be hemmed....but if I'm paying $50-80 for shorts I would rather not have to wait 7 days and pay $10 more dollars to wear my shorts.

I tend to think it is worth it to get what you want.
  • jjljjl Members Posts: 1,309 ✭✭
    I've looked far and wide, the only answer is the Bonobos Highland golf short in 8" inseam. Bought 4 of them in different colors.
    Cobra F8 Tour Length
    Ping G410 Hybrid 19*
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW
    TaylorMade HiToe 50, 56, 60*
    TaylorMade Spider X 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B RX
    Titleist Players 4 
  • randyfitzrandyfitz Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    I get all mine hemmed as well. Can't stand playing in shorts that touch my knees.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,997 ✭✭
    edited Apr 30, 2017 #11
    jjl wrote:

I've looked far and wide, the only answer is the Bonobos Highland golf short in 8" inseam. Bought 4 of them in different colors.

Well...not the ONLY answer.

https://www.chubbiesshorts.com/collections/mens-performance-golf-shorts

Chubbies! I love these shorts. Got their popularity for creating short shorts for men, and lots of social media marketing. They recently added a golf line. 7" & 9" inseams. Only $60 instead of $90 like Maide/Bonobos.

Knockdowns-7-5_850x850.jpg?v=1489466399

D23B0666_600x.jpg?v=1477963729

They also come with a neat little pocket in the back for you cell phone, so your headphone chords don't get all twisted around your body.

green-golf-shorts_850x850.jpg?v=1477963729
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭
    jacobEDGE wrote:

jjl wrote:

Well...not the ONLY answer.

https://www.chubbies...nce-golf-shorts

Chubbies! I love these shorts. Got their popularity for creating short shorts for men, and lots of social media marketing. They recently added a golf line. 7" & 9" inseams. Only $60 instead of $90 like Maide/Bonobos.

Knockdowns-7-5_850x850.jpg?v=1489466399

D23B0666_600x.jpg?v=1477963729

They also come with a neat little pocket in the back for you cell phone, so your headphone chords don't get all twisted around your body.

green-golf-shorts_850x850.jpg?v=1477963729

Wish they didn't have the elastic in the waistband. On the plus side, I think I've found my outfit for our next "Red, White, and Blue" Tourney.

How can you not like something called the "chubberall" ?

https://www.chubbiesshorts.com/products/mens-american-flag-usa-overalls-shorts
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    I've had chubbies since they came out, when I was still in college. I still rock them around the house and on camping trips, etc - but not the golf course lol.

I dont like their elastic wasteband and the way they stitch their pockets. After a few washes the waistline bunches up and the pockets shrink/wrinkle into obvlivion.

For anyone wondering, I gave up on finding shorter shorts from the factory and my wife has been hemming them all for me lol. This only doesnt go against what I posted above because having my wife do it is free!
    Long Live Nike
  • parrnjparrnj Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I agree, it doesn't make sense that companies like Nike offer shorter inseams in basketball shorts than golf shorts. Who wants golf shorts halfway down your calves
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,352 ✭✭
    If you're buying online I know TGW lists the inseam length in the description section of the respective product. I notice quite a difference among products.
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Inseam can be misleading. Rise effects inseam in many styles. A 9" inseam on a low rise may fit me fine just above the knee, while a 9" inseam on a traditional rise may be knee knockers.
  • jcdivjcdiv Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    I've had such a hard time finding what I wanted / gotten so tired of dealing with tailors that I bought a used sewing machine and learned how to do it myself on youtube. It's really easy. I can knock out the hemming on shorts / pants now in about 10 minutes. The machine was $40 or $50 and has paid for itself a few times over by now.

Early on, some have turned out better than others, but only one pair has been ruined - I cut the bottoms of some pants too much and had to send them to Goodwill.
    G400 Max 10.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70X
    TM M1 15* Tour AD-DI 8X
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* HZRDUS Black 6.5
    TM PSi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour X
    Vokey SM6 51, 55, 60* KBS Tour V Wedge
    Odyssey 2-Ball
    Snell MTB Black
  • YoungJediYoungJedi Members Posts: 1,277 ✭✭
    Original penguin is where I get mine.

I'm 5'6"
    Taylormade m3 8.5° w/ Accra Tour z RPG 462 SST pure
    Taylormade m4 15° w/ Accra Tour z RPG 472 SST pure
    PXG 0311X gen2 DARKNESS 2 iron w/ Tensei pro 70g hybrid
    PXG 0311x gen1 DARKNESS 4 iron w/ kbs $taper
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure, Boyd blade and Ferrule 
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure, Boyd blade and Ferrule
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F/58D w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure, Boyd blade and Ferrule 
    Custom Bettinardi BB0 with welded slant neck 
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,997 ✭✭
    The elastic in the waistband on the Chubbies would only bother me if they didn't include belt loops. Slide a belt through them, and they look just like normal shorts. Plus, I definitely have some extra pounds in the belly, and the elastic is super comfortable. Even with the 7" chubbies...those nearly come to my knee. Being 5'4" is rough. ****, I have some 5" J Crew shorts that sound ridiculous in theory, but don't even look that short on my stumpy legs.
  • apex523apex523 Members Posts: 597 ✭✭
    edited May 5, 2017 #20
    I have the exact same problem with golf shorts (I'm 5'9"). Originally I was planning on taking my golf shorts in to get hemmed for the summer but was quoted $10 per pair so i held off. Recently I found Chaps golf shorts at my local Marshalls that have 9" inseam. Tried them on and they fit great! Added bonus they were under $20! Needless to say I swooped up all the colors (navy, khaki and grey).
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Taylormade M2 8.5 - Black Tie 70x
    Taylormade M2 15 - Fujikura P95
    Titleist 816 H2 19 - Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 TS
    Titleist 714 AP2 4 thru 9 - S300
    Vokey SM6 45 + SM5 50, 55, 60 - S300
    Taylormade Spider Blade 12 - tour issue milled insert
    or Taylormade Spider Tour Red or Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    KSig / ProV1x[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping Hoofer[/font]
  • bdawg983bdawg983 Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    I have had success with RLX and Polo. Quality product that holds up and goes on sale regularly
    In the bag, at the moment:

Ping G400 SFT 12* Alta CB55 Stiff
    Nike Vapor Fly 3 HL UST Elements Chrome 7F3 Stiff
    Nike Vapor Fly 7 wood Accra SC 95 M5 or Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron Project X 6.0 shaft
    Nike VR Pro Combo 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled '09 Oil Can 52*, 56*, 62* Project X 5.5 shafts
    Odyssey White Hot Pro #3
    Nike Sportlite II carry bag, olive/camo

• medicoreMAgolfermedicoreMAgolfer Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    I am 5'10" and hate super long shorts, but am a bit sensitive to the snide remark of playing partners that my shorts are too short as well (when I play with 7" shorts.) I picked up some of the Johnnie O prep performance ones on sale (they're either 9 or 9.5"), played with them and they're great. They long enough, but stay above my knee. They also fit very well. Couldn't be happier with them, but they are overpriced ($85 not on sale)
  • RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭

2bGood wrote:

Paying $50-$80 for shorts is something I have not/will not do. Unless I was buying them on credit I had amassed in the pro shop, I generally will not pay more than $30 for a pair of shorts. As with most clothes, if not on sale, I do not buy them. If you do some research, you can find shorts with 9" inseams. If not, my cleaners does exactly what is shown in the picture.
  • Wardell StoneWardell Stone Members Posts: 108
    Nuthuggers....I keed...I keed.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 70 S
    Ping G 15 Tour 80 S
    Ping G 21 Tour 80 S
    PXG SGI 5-LW
    Putter TBD
    Bridgestone B330 2016
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,061 ClubWRX
    edited May 5, 2017 #25
    Adidas Ultimate and Dunning Players Fit are both 10"

I can't think of any less than 10" off the top of my head.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • Nvd13Nvd13 Members Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Greg Norman shorts have short inseam
  • aveb4lifeaveb4life Members Posts: 659
    I met with Nike Golf's apparel team back in 2011 and brought up the issue about inseam. One of the folks cut me off and said to me, "yeah, we know. you want them longer. That's the feedback we've gotten too."

I replied back that I thought they should actually offer a shorter inseam since people who were 5'10" and below would have the shorts fall below the knee. 6 years later, the inseam went from 9" or 10" to 11"... ah well, I tried.
    TM 2017 M1 Aldila Rogue 70
    TM 2017 M2 Aldila Rogue Silver 70

TM GAPR Mid PX HZRDUS Black 85
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
    Mizuno S5 55*
    TM MG Wedge 59*

TM Spider Tour Red
  • PhilfilPhilfil Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    Travis Mathew just released some 9" shorts for the summer. https://www.travismathew.com/shop/bottoms/shorts.html
  • ptambrosettiptambrosetti Members Posts: 138
    I've always like FJ shorts but usually ended up getting them tailored because they are borderline capris - RLX shorts on the other hand fit me perfectly. I'm 6'2"
    Former Tour Caddie - Perpetual Opinionator

Titleist 917 10.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 18*
    Titleist 690.MB 3-PW
    Vokey 53, 59
    Odessey #7 Black - Gel Face
  • scythe23scythe23 Members Posts: 119
    I just bought a pair of Nike tour shorts (I forget the exact style) from Ross for $20 and while all my other nike shorts go to my knee (I'm 6'1") these hit me at about 2-3" above my knee and they are made of a super light material
  • 1puttAU1puttAU Columbus, GAMembers Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Just found a pair of Nautica flat front, classic fit, deck shorts. They have an 8 1/2 inch inseam, aren't too wide at the legs, and fit right above my knee. They are very comfortable and fit really well. I'm a weird size too. I'm 5'9" and weigh 150lbs with a size 30 waist.
    King Cobra F9 9.0° w/ Fujikura Atmos 6S
    Titleist 985H 17° w/ Proforce V2 104g
    Titleist 716 AP2 3-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g
    Titleist SM5 50°/12° F Grind, 54°/10° S Grind, & 58°/8° M Grind
    All of the above with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Standard Grips
    Scotty Cameron Futura 33" w/ Super Stroke Flatso 1.0 USA Edition