Whats the coldest temp you've played

Comments

• lightgriplightgrip Members Posts: 296 ✭✭
    Mid 30s in Crab Orchard, Tennessee at a course that is now closed. Thing was, on one hole, there was a course employee working in bunker with only denim overalls and no shirt on. Couldn't believe it.
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    just played streamsong black in 20mph winds, rain and 45-55 degrees. was proud i finished lol.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • ThatGuy115ThatGuy115 Members Posts: 5
    Played 9 holes with a buddy at 34F, raining, and with gusts of about 45 mph
  • PompsPomps Members Posts: 839 ✭✭
    31 this year. Fortunately no wind and sunny so it was manageable with the right gear.
    Cobra F9 9* adjusted to open* - Testing
    TaylorMade M3 3 wood 15* - Project X Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5 - 42.875" (D6)
    TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
    TaylorMade Gapr Hi 19* - Kuro Kage Silver 90x - 40.75" (D2)
    Mizuno M18 4-7 SC, 8-p MB Nippon Modus 125x 1.5* Flat (D4)
    Vokey SM6 51* (D5; 2.5* flat); Vokey TVD V-Grind 55* (D5; 2.5* flat) & Vokey TVD M-Grind 59* (D5; 2* flat ) - DG Tour Issue s400

Odyssey Jailbird Mini S 33.5"
  • Chewey85Chewey85 Posts: 203
    Started a round on new years at 30* dipping into the high 20s as I finished up with the light fading. Played decent on the front. Fell to s*** on the back but I couldn't feel my hands lol. Girl in the clubhouse said there were 2 playing when I paid with 4 pulling up as I was walking in.
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Posts: 606 ✭✭
    We played with a starting temp of 27 degrees. Greens felt like plywood thru the turn.

Caveat: Beware of breaking the epoxy joint on your clubs.

Warmer alternative is to use the putting cup in the den, Click-thunk.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,174 ✭✭
    Low 30s, rain, heavy wind, hail...I wanted to kill myself.
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Played in 32 degree weather in an outing one time. We showed up to the outing and we were the only ones who showed up since it was so cold. lol. We had a blast. Cart cover, heater, and alot of booze. good times.
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,615 ✭✭
    Played in a tournament in Springfield, MO called Chili Open last Saturday. It's usually held on New Year's Day but it was postponed due to single digit temps on NYD. It was around 25* when we started. Needless to say, there weren't very many birdies made due to small greens being frozen solid.

Believe it or not, there were around 90 golfers playing that day. It was definitely too cold for me to play golf.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 21 & 25 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    J15CB 5-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*,56* & 60*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,341 ✭✭
    It was April and the temp was 32 in the late morning with Snow flurries, i was not happy. It was a business outing and if we signed up we played.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Posts: 730 ✭✭
    edited Jan 19, 2018 #72
    br61 wrote:

Played in a tournament in Springfield, MO called Chili Open last Saturday. It's usually held on New Year's Day but it was postponed due to single digit temps on NYD. It was around 25* when we started. Needless to say, there weren't very many birdies made due to small greens being frozen solid.

Believe it or not, there were around 90 golfers playing that day. It was definitely too cold for me to play golf.

What course were you on?

Living on the course we had carts with covers and propane heaters that fit in the cup holders. I was afraid to look at the temp but I remember one day hitting a nice high 9 iron into number one at Loma Linda in Joplin, Mo.. It landed middle green, bounced at least 50 ft high going over the road behind the green. We decided to wait a couple of hours for the greens to thaw a bit. One of my playing partners said it was 22F.
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro with Recoil F4
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,615 ✭✭
    rxk9fan wrote:

br61 wrote:

What course were you on?

Living on the course we had carts with covers and propane heaters that fit in the cup holders. I was afraid to look at the temp but I remember one day hitting a nice high 9 iron into number one at Loma Linda in Joplin, Mo.. It landed middle green, bounced at least 50 ft high going over the road behind the green. We decided to wait a couple of hours for the greens to thaw a bit. One of my playing partners said it was 22F.

That road is long way behind #1 green.

This tournament was held at Grandview/Stewart Golf Course. We had 8 players and 2 club pros from my home club playing in this tourney. Lot of club pros played in this tournament. It's a fun way to get rid of cabin fever.

I played for short of greens and hope for a favorable bounce, it either stops short or goes way over the green. It was fun just for once. Ha
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 21 & 25 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    J15CB 5-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*,56* & 60*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• WooPigWooPig Posts: 433 ✭✭
    I HATE cold weather so I also observe the 50* rule. I’ve played a few times in the 40s but now I won’t play unless the forecast is 50+ for the entire round.

On the other end of the spectrum, I’ve played in 115*.
    Srixon Z785 9.5- Tensei Pro Orange 70S
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ 3 wood- Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75S
    Titleist 818 H2 17- Aldila Rogue Max S
    Titleist 818 H2 21- Fujikura Atmos Blue S
    Mizuno MP 18 (5-pw)- DG S300
    Vokey SM7 50*- DG S200
    Vokey SM7 54*- DG S200
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*- KBS Tour V 125
    Bettinardi '17 Studio Stock 8
  • llamontllamont Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    Low 30s and snow during an naia college tourney back in March/April 2003... I had a brand new set of Maxfli Australian Blades in the bag that day and really "felt" them on less than perfect shots.
    I love golf
  • RPryorRPryor Banned Posts: 177
    27-29 as long as the course is not completely covered in frost. Basically start out at 34 and by the end of the round it dips to high 20's.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,074 ✭✭
    Was 2 above when I got to the course this morning. Wind chill took it below zero. Then it snowed. 11 holes were sufficient. Hello warm coffee.
  • Somewhere around freezing. Got some balls flying 20 feet in the air after hitting the green because they were frozen solid.
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,866 ✭✭
    Not the coldest, but crazy finish..

Played yesterday around 32 degrees.

Everything was fine until 13th hole..

Started snowing very heavily.. By the time we got to the 16th hole, the snow almost covered the greens. Crazy part, as we putted, the snow would collect onto the ball. By the time the ball was near the hole, it doubled in size and would just topple over..

We did finish the round, fun times..

PS:

Cart cover and heaters are your friends..
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 394 ✭✭
    I routinely play in the 30's so long as there isn't snow cover and the wind is blowing in single digits. It's really not bad with the FootJoy cold weather gloves and a balaclava. I usually will put a coat on between shots and walking helps keep the core temp up.
    Ping G400
    Ping G400 stretch 3
    Mizuno HM 4 iron bent to 19 degrees
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • bonvivantvabonvivantva Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Low 40s in the rain. Didn’t plan to golf that weekend, but it was unseasonably warm in WV. Between the temp and rain we figured nobody else would be out golfing. My dad and I took the wives who at the time were beginners. My mom and wife had a great time without the pressure of other golfers, and we went through a few cigars and a bottle of Ardbeg. One of my favorite memories.
  • mbs_59mbs_59 Members Posts: 57
    We qualified when it was in the low 20's in college, frozen greens and all. I won't even think about it now unless its over 45.
  • tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Posts: 482
    8 degrees - Forsgate CC in NJ in the Winter league.
  • BallgofarboyBallgofarboy Old man Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    Well being in Florida now, the old quote of, " I golf in the 70's any colder than that, forget it!"

While in Germany the coldest I had played in was 38 degrees. Even at those temps it is crazy to go out and play.
    Callaway XR 9.5 degree
    Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
    NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
    Callaway Razr Tour Irons
    50 degree Volkey
    WITB Link
    58 degree cleveland
    52 degree Sixron
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,762 ✭✭
    The courses in my area will not let anyone on the course if the ground is frozen. In fact, they won't drive maintenance equipment around on frozen ground either. Given that the ground on freezes maybe a dozen days a year, if that, there's no reason to push it and damage the turf. Just wait a day or two until it thaws.

So I've probably played a round somewhere along the line where it was 32F or 33F at some point during the round. And one time back in 1997 there was a round I remember when it actually did dip down to around 30F by sunset when we were finishing up. But normally mid-upper 30's is about my limit.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
    Playing tomorrow at 8 am .. Cincinnati, Ohio

IT's going to be around 30 degrees. But with the wind chill, it will be around 26 degrees..

Don't think it's going to be bush tomorrow..
  • TSauerTSauer Posts: 195
    Low 40s is where I usually draw the line and stay home. I hate the cold weather.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]In my Ogio Nimbus bag:[/font]

Driver: Cobra King F7+
    Fairway: Callaway XR 3W
    Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex 4H
    Irons: Ping G25 (4-PW)
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 (52/56/60)
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Anser
  • MiddlerMiddler Posts: 366
    I’m also up north. Low to mid 40’s for me, and I didn’t particularly enjoy it. I love golf, but I play for enjoyment, so I’m not interested in playing if it’s much below 45F. If it’s too cold, I’ll hit on an indoor simulator (hate it), a golf dome or a local driving range with stalls and overhead heaters to keep the swing roughly intact. YMMV
    CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
    MIZUNO CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
    MIZUNO JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
    EVNROLL ER2
    SNELL MTB Black
    OGIO Silencer
    I think playing in the rain is worse than playing in the cold..

My buddies have cart covers and heaters..

As long as it's not too windy, we should be fine..

and temp will increate to 40s near the end..
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Not my coldest but I have an 8 am tomorrow. Gonna be 25 at that time
  • kevin2kevin2 Members Posts: 294
    Several degrees below zero about 20 years ago. I walked into the bar at the local public course WITH my clubs on my shoulder AND the bartender just laughed! I asked how much to play 18! He said, how about $5! I made it about 6 holes, walking! There was still plenty of snow where drifts hadn't melted off in the previous week, but what was most amazing was how far the ball would bounce into the air when hitting the rock hard greens! Like a super ball bouncing!
    Taylormade R15 430 12'
    Callaway X16 Pro Series S300
    Odyssey White Hot Pro HAVOK
    PING Cadence TR Anser W Traditional - Custom 4' Flat
    Cleveland REG 588 56' 64'
    Titleist Velocity golf ball