2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Unique BST Transaction. Need advice.

madeinguam81

A user PM'd me saying he'll take the Ping Anser, Ping Nome, and Bay Hill putter cover of my recent BST ad. He paid full asking price via Paypal (Goods and Services). I shipped to the Paypal Confirmed address on Wed, April 19, 2017.

The next day, 4/20, I realized that I accidentally shipped my gamer Odyssey Oworks 2Ball instead of the Ping Nome (both mallet putters). Both Odyssey and Nome are the same length and have the same color brand new Superstroke grip. Plus the fact that I forgot that I put the Bay Hill cover on my Odyssey to see how it looked the night before and didn't remove it. This is how I put the wrong putter in the box and is of course my mistake.

I immediately PM'd the user letting him know of my mistake. I shipped out the correct Nome that same day and I put my Odyssey cover on it so he can ship my Odyssey back with a protective cover on it.

User was very responsive and understanding and said he would ship the putter back with the matching Odyssey cover.

Over the weekend, I sent him $20 to more than cover the cost of shipping my putter back, as well as $10 as a thank you for his time. He said it was not a problem and that the $10 was unnecessary. I told him I was happy to do it. This exchange happened on Saturday 4/22 and is the last I've heard from him.

I've PM'd him MULTIPLE times this week asking if he's shipped out the putter and he hasn't responded to one.

Today is Thursday and I'm now at the point where I have no choice but to be concerned.

What exactly are my options? Thank you very much in advance.

***Not sure of the protocol of this forum, but I've left out the user's name for the time being.

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I sure hope he does the right thing here.. Dumb mistake, but I have made dumb mistakes also... Any decent man would send your putter back

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

I'm in Orlando and he's in Seattle. Yes, that's cross country and far HOWEVER USPS standard Priority got both shipments to him in two days. He said he would wait for the Nome before shipping out my Odyssey. He received the Nome on Saturday.

With every delivery, I immediately sent tracking info. I've requested tracking info multiple times and he's not responding.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

I certainly understand your concern. However, I think that you should probably only be REALLY concerned by next Monday. Give the buyer a little leeway since he probably wasn't expecting to have to go to the post office midweek. Communication on his end would be ideal, but since he is on the receiving end of your mistake I'd err on the side of patience.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I wouldnt have shipped the second putter until he shipped the first one back on your dime...you're really giving him lots of rope here.

But I also think another 24-72 hours for him to respond is OK.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I wouldnt have shipped the second putter until he shipped the first one back on your dime...you're really giving him lots of rope here.

Personally, if I had made the mistake the OP did, I wouldn't dictate terms to the buyer who seemed to be very cooperative in helping to correct the OP's mistake. I'd just be looking for the quickest way to make my mistake right, not placing even more inconvenience on the buyer.

Sucks that he stopped responding since then, but I agree with others who think the OP should show a little patience and give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I'd start getting concerned if I haven't heard from him or the putter hasn't shown up by early-mid next week.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I'm less concerned about shipping status than I am about the complete lack of communication, especially considering how quick he was in the beginning of the transaction and even after I notified him of the mistake.

I understand I have to be patient and that this was my mistake, but ANYONE should be able to take 30 seconds to send a quick message. This is just ridiculous.

His feedback at the time was only 1 positive review and it mentioned how fast his communication and payment was.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

Give this more time. It sounds like the buyer is helping to resolve the mistake.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

Personally, if I had made the mistake the OP did, I wouldn't dictate terms to the buyer who seemed to be very cooperative in helping to correct the OP's mistake. I'd just be looking for the quickest way to make my mistake right, not placing even more inconvenience on the buyer.

Sucks that he stopped responding since then, but I agree with others who think the OP should show a little patience and give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I'd start getting concerned if I haven't heard from him or the putter hasn't shown up by early-mid next week.

There's something to be said about being a good seller but personal sellers are not businesses per se. They dont have the assets and funding to just say 'oh well' when a customer F's them over with a charge back or by not returning an item or etc.

A little more diligence and understanding between personal sales is needed IMO and you can't really expect someone to be like Amazon (refunds, free returns, etc) from a buyer or sellers perspective.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Guam - I understand your frustration and I hope it all turns out well for you. But I'll echo some of the other comments and say you should allow the weekend to pass before you lose too much sleep over it. There are times when a week can get away from people and things like this get put on the back burner. I know it's only 30 seconds, but if he doesn't have the site open or have time to get to every new email, it can get lost in the shuffle for awhile. It's not the same scenario, but this week I was very busy from Monday until this morning. I haven't responded to personal emails and I forgot about a few non golf items delivered to the lobby of my condo early in the week. I finally got around to some of that stuff today. That's not my normal routine, but it can happen - I'd give the buyer the weekend if he needs to recover from a bad week.

I'm less concerned about shipping status than I am about the complete lack of communication, especially considering how quick he was in the beginning of the transaction and even after I notified him of the mistake.

I understand I have to be patient and that this was my mistake, but ANYONE should be able to take 30 seconds to send a quick message. This is just ridiculous.

His feedback at the time was only 1 positive review and it mentioned how fast his communication and payment was.

Has he read the messages you've sent him?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

Great question. Last read at 4/23 at 1pm. So he hasn't even seen the last three messages which start on 4/25.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

Great question. Last read at 4/23 at 1pm. So he hasn't even seen the last three messages which start on 4/25.

Well if he gets email notifications he doesn't have to read messages, so there's a bit of a potential loophole there.

Well if he gets email notifications he doesn't have to read messages, so there's a bit of a potential loophole there.

Another good point! It never ends! :)

I'm going to take everyone's advice and try not to worry about it until after the weekend.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

Would it be inappropriate to ask for the ID of the other party?

If he returns the item he's a hero and everyone here will love him.

If he doesn't everyone properly warned.

I don't see a downside to it but just wondering what other might think.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

UPDATE - I feel like a huge jerk cause buyer sent me a PM saying he's sorry but he's been in the hospital all week and that he'll get the putter out asap. I should have known something was up.

I'm here worrying about a stupid 2Ball putter while a guy was in the hospital. I'll say it again - I'm a jerk.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

Maybe he doesn't get email notifications. I have them turned off on every site I'm a member of, here, FB, etc.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I saw that he has contacted you now but I just wanna make one point here-- if I post a BST add or I am mid-transaction I will be more attentive and paying attention to email I get from WRX. But if not, my job is busy enough that if I don't have any expected communication then I don't always make it a huge priority to pay attention to that kind of stuff.

I hope the guy is OK...

On an unrelated note- people always seem to have some crazy emergency happen after they receive your money and its time for them to ship... anyone else ever notice that? I have done a ton of transactions on here and there are countless times where people have these crazy things happen mid-transaction.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

How is that fair? The OP/seller in this case sent the wrong putter so he absolutely did the right thing and shipped the correct putter that the buyer actually bought. Why should the buyer have to wait an extra week to get his goods because of an error by the seller?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]