2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Discrimination!

am i alone?
Hi

Have you ever been discriminated on the gc b/c of ur age? Yeah. Me too. I hate when people don't let you on because of age. I have a friend that told me that on a midweek summer day when the course was empty, the people on the course wouldn't let him and his dad on until after 4. Crazy. One course I know doesn't allow children on under 16 unless certified by the pro. i''ve heard that people are worried abput the youth of the game. Heads up: ITS NOT GONNA GROW IF YOU DON'T LET US ON

Please tell me if you feel the same

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I feel discriminated sometimes.

But if thats the rule, I guess they sort of have to stick with it. Otherwise if they let 1 person on early another one will want to, then another, then another, then another...

Really there should be no rule like that, I think the rule should be... "If you can't get a round done in 4 1/4 hours, buhbye." :rolleyes:

:)

I'd suggest you write a letter to the golf course and possibly include your local newspapers. However, if you want them to take you seriously, stop typing like you are on AIM.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Is this happening at private facilities or public? I only know of one course in my area that has had any type of age limit/requirement and that was a private club.

If it's a private facility policy chances are that it's a "membership" decision. If you and your family are members I would suggest contacting the board members or current ruling body of your club. Ask why this policy is in place and what needs to be done to change it.

If it's a public facility I would concact the management and ask for an explanation as to why this policy is in place.

The one private course that had a restriction has since changed their policy only because members with families pressured the board to eliminate the policy.

GPro

I am sure the post is talking about a private club.

Private clubs have specific times when Men Women and Juniors can play.

The reason there is no flexibility is the heat from the members.

Example at a club I worked at on tuesdays men or juniors were not allowed on the course until after 2pm.

Now the ladies day activitys were mostly morning and by one pm all the ladies were in the clubhouse having lunch.

Just the same if a man crossed the driveway to the putting green or the range before not to mention the first tee before 2PM the women would scream bloody murder.

Thats why the rules can not be flexible. As far as changing the rules that can only be done by the boards and the rules change needs the support of the dues paying members.

You juniors might notice that you do not have any board members your age.

Now I am not saying I support those discrimatory rules but lets say you are no longer a junior you are and adult member.

Its saturday morning traditionally a time reserved for men at the club. Now you have been in the office working all week and you finally get out and you find out the rules have changed.

Your teetime finds you behind two groups of women and in front of them are two groups of parents playing with their kids.

Six hours later you finish your round would you be happy then?

I do not know the answers when I was and assistant Pro I l talked to board members a lot about changing the rules Mainly for juniors which were very restricted as to when they could play. But also lightening up on the women and moving the time back on tuesdays to noon when the men got on. My ideas gave everyone more time to play without ruining what they hadd.

I thought I was being very suttle and slick until I got a letter from the board telling me to back off, my boss got a copy as well and he damn near fired me.

Maybe this puts why its the way it is in some sort of perspective .

Cant stand it, its like that scene in meet the parents, where he is the only guy waiting to get on the plane, but she wont let him on until his row is called!

Ridiculous, maybe unaccompanied kids 14 and under or something, but 16, 17, 18 for sure should be allowed on if its open

it depends. are you paying the junior rate? if you're paying the full green fee then yeah you may have something, if not then it's like paying the twilight rate. there are certain times you can go out and not before.

Good post by Kenk.

As well, most juniors I know DO NOT pay full rate. They pay a GREATLY REDUCED rate which limits the times they can set out on the course. So if you are not paying a full rate, and are not a full member, why should you have full access to the course?

Rules may seem stupid, (often some are) but they cannont be bent because once they are, it becomes an expectation, not an exception.

Like it was posted before, it doesn't matter if the course was empty or not. If you cannot tee off until 4, you simply cannot tee off until 4.

If they let you out at 2, most people would be expected to be let out at 2 ALL THE TIME.

e.g. The course isnt that busy....we did it before....etc.

Just a thought.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

My club has the same sort of rule. During the prime season, juniors (under 16) can't play until after 2:00pm. However, they can become exempt. They must achieve and maintain a handicap of 18 or less, take a rules test and write an essay about golf etiquette. After that they can play whenever they want and actually participate in club tourneys. My son is 14 and will hopefully be testing out this spring.

Conversely, what is ironic, my son and I often tee off after 2:00pm only to find a slow foursomes of men and women that could have gone off early. Oh well, it's nice to just get out...

This has been a common theme on the forum.

If it is not a pace of play or course obuse (hacker 3ft deep divots and the such) issue with an individual than I think he/she should be offered equal opportunity.

I play at a private club where juniors have to be certified by the pro (not difficult, you pass a test when you're like 8 and then you're set) to play alone and cannot play until after 2 on weekends and between 10 and 2 on weekdays.

Just my .02

This has been a common theme on the forum.

If it is not a pace of play or course obuse (hacker 3ft deep divots and the such) issue with an individual than I think he/she should be offered equal opportunity.

I play at a private club where juniors have to be certified by the pro (not difficult, you pass a test when you're like 8 and then you're set) to play alone and cannot play until after 2 on weekends and between 10 and 2 on weekdays.

Just my .02

Thats a great policy. I know at my buddies private course, we can't play until after 2 some days, and we are both low 40s, high 30s shooters. Kindof annoying, I wouldn't be able to put up with it if I was a member. But the older members of these clubs have these rules for a reason, whether it's for a calm day away from kids or just because that's the way it was when they were younger.

It'll be our time one day, unfortunately we're not going to be juniors forever...

at a golf course i played at 2 years ago in spring break....i had my temps and they said i could drive the cart and everything.....and there was no one in front of us... or behind us......the ranger comes up to us and tells us to pick up the pace and hurry it up (we had carts and were already going fast enough)....and i was like come on? wat the eff there is no one slowing us down and no one we are slowing down and we were playing perfectly on pace and everything.....and the same thing happened a couple of holes later.....COMEONNN

Hi

Have you ever been discrimI am a inated on the gc b/c of ur age? Yeah. Me too. I hate when people don't let you on because of age. I have a friend that told me that on a midweek summer day when the course was empty, the people on the course wouldn't let him and his dad on until after 4. Crazy. One course I know doesn't allow children on under 16 unless certified by the pro. i''ve heard that people are worried abput the youth of the game. Heads up: ITS NOT GONNA GROW IF YOU DON'T LET US ON

You are absolutely correct young man!! Good post. I am a great deal older than you and I play over 60 rounds a year. I love to see young boys and girls on the course. I take my Grand-Son out all the time. He is now 10 and a very fine golfer. He started when he was 6. Keep at it! :wub:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Hi

Have you ever been discriminated on the gc b/c of ur age? Yeah. Me too. I hate when people don't let you on because of age. I have a friend that told me that on a midweek summer day when the course was empty, the people on the course wouldn't let him and his dad on until after 4. Crazy. One course I know doesn't allow children on under 16 unless certified by the pro. i''ve heard that people are worried abput the youth of the game. Heads up: ITS NOT GONNA GROW IF YOU DON'T LET US ON

You have to understand where the golf course owner is coming from. Having an absolute age removes any conflicts that might happen. You might be a perfectly fine kid on the course, but if the owner lets you and your dad on, but not the next two guys because of a known problem with them, it's only going to cause problems.

at my course there are certain times when i can play (im 15) and certain times when i cant but theres also times when the men and women cant play so i dont feel that tee times are that big of a problem. i think the biggest problem is the lack of respect juniors recieve from adult members. for example (i play at a private club) we were hosting a junior tournament and a senior member at our club went to the first tee between two groups and teed off! we told him there was a tournament going on and he couldnt play, but he claimed he had special permission from the pro shop. so my group went and asked the pro shop but he had never even talked to them, they didnt even know that he was teeing off. this is along with all the other occasions where members wont let a group of 2 juniors through when the course is empty and were having to wait 10-15 mins at least on each hole. i also have a problem with the older members when they automatically assume that all juniors are horrible golfers, when most of the juniors at my club's hcp.s are less than half of what their's are. on another occasion i had a foursome of seniors accuse me of hitting into them and they when i told them i didnt they wouldn't believe me and i had to call over an adult member that i was playing with before they would accept that the ball was from a different hole. sorry about the rant i just feel very strongly about the lack of respect juniors face from some of the adult members who think that just because they paid more to join to the club that they should hold all the power.

• 1 month later...

here's what u do kid, when i was 16 i was about 6'2", 240, they tended to let me do what i wanted lol

but occasionally someone would give me sht, and i would get really pissed, i wouldnt argue with them but inside i would get really pissed, this is what you could do:

next time some word not allowed gives u sht, this is what u do

u find the members bag room

u go in and u find the sweetest bag of sticks you can see, and you take em home with you

so next time somebody gives u sht, you can think of those new clubs you have at home in ya closet and you wont get so mad, you might even end up laughin at the guy

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

Good post by Kenk. If this is a public course that is one thing....if this is a private club they can do whatever they want, that is why they are private. If you are a minor and your parents are paying your dues then either deal with it, or have your parents go to the board to lobby to have the rule changed, or an exception made. Someday when you earn you own housing, transportation and pay your own way on the course then you can join the club you want to join, or play the public course you want to play. If you dont like the rules they have spend your hard earned money elsewhere. If your parents are paying your way and they dont like the rules they are free to join a club that suits their families needs and desires. Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but that is the way the world is.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

here's what u do kid, when i was 16 i was about 6'2", 240, they tended to let me do what i wanted lol

but occasionally someone would give me sht, and i would get really pissed, i wouldnt argue with them but inside i would get really pissed, this is what you could do:

next time some word not allowed gives u sht, this is what u do

u find the members bag room

u go in and u find the sweetest bag of sticks you can see, and you take em home with you

so next time somebody gives u sht, you can think of those new clubs you have at home in ya closet and you wont get so mad, you might even end up laughin at the guy

Where I'm from thats called a felony (based on how much my clubs cost!) :rolleyes: Suggestions like this lead to the disrespect that many juniors get. One group of kids stealing clubs or balls or wrecking carts gives all juniors a bad name. Every few years, some kids sneak out on the courses around here and bust up some carts are damage some greens. They get caught, get arrested and usually a juvi records. I suggested to the judge that they do there community service for the course and he loved it. Course banned the kids which got one kicked off the golf team. One group of stupid kids hurts them all.

BTW my club has a rule that kids are not suppiosed to be on the course before 5 on weekends. It is not enforced unless someone is being a jerk. Kids who can play the right way should not be held up just because of there age. Maybe the rule should be based upon handicap. How would we like it if we couldn't tee off until after 5 because our handicap was too high? :man_in_love: I'd never get to play! :black eye: End rant.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old topic but how about this one...

I've got the best handicap at my country club, but because I'm only 17 and don't pay for an adult membership, I'm not allowed to play in the club championship. (My score in the junior club championship last summer finished one back of the club champ's.)

Now luckily, this year my high school golf coach who is also a member managed to get on the board of directors and is trying to get them to change the rule. He said things are looking good, but it still really sucks that I have to go through all this work just to play golf.

I've got the best handicap at my country club, but because I'm only 17 and don't pay for an adult membership, I'm not allowed to play in the club championship. (My score in the junior club championship last summer finished one back of the club champ's.)

Now luckily, this year my high school golf coach who is also a member managed to get on the board of directors and is trying to get them to change the rule. He said things are looking good, but it still really sucks that I have to go through all this work just to play golf.

Sounds like if you pony up for a full membership, your problems are solved.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Top 4 and ties from our junior club get into mens club