Putter Quest

platgof

I spent a fortune on drivers, irons, and the other half of the game is poorly neglected, the putter. I mean most people spend a fortune on the long game, but the greens game is a bail out. So I have decided to start searching for the putter that helps me the most. I have decided to go with five putters for now. First is my Odyssey Marxman. For some reason distance control is not there. It just comes off hot, and short putts are very tough. I have tried to love this putter, I have. Next is the Odyssey Metal X #6 CS. A big improvement on distance control, and short putts are automatic. But the feel on long putts is awful for some reason, and the sweet spot is so small. The other three putters are on there way, they are the Boccieri H1 Mid CS, the Yes C Groove Milly, and the Ping D66 Redwood. I have a strong feeling the Redwood will be top dog, but I am very open minded to performance. For now the Odyssey #6 is in the bag. Until I find a putter that offers control on both short and long putts, the quest is on!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old are you? Just wondering if you've actually got enough time left to complete such a quest.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Dis you just randomly pick 5 putters, because they seem to have nothing in common.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I tried Boccieri Heavy Mid several years ago and they felt great. I have also liked the Yes putters and want to try this one. I don't know about the years to do this, ???? I have never owned a Ping putter, and this one looks great. I should have all of these by Friday, and hopefully(rain) test them Saturday. I picked up the Odyssey # 6 after watching Chowrasia use one on the Asian Tour.

Bag is in overhaul mode

I don't know how you could narrow those choices down. I have 3 putters and at different points throughout the year I become convinced one is better than the other. I end up rotating through all 3 every year. The one that probably performs the best on a consistent basis is a Cleveland blade that I bought for $89...one of the Cleveland Classic models. I have a Bettinardi BB1 and a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 as well, and they are both great putters. One of those two typically stays in my bag even though the Cleveland performs so well (stupid I know).

My point is that with so many options, it is hard to stick with one for long enough to decide which is best.

I rock a 20 year old 40.00 Walmart putter. Trust me, I've tried to find something that works better for me. I've yet to come across it. At this point it's like an old friend and I don't know how I'd get through a round without it. For me (emphasis) I have never found another putter that I feel as confident that I have it lined up properly. I know that there's some tech involved in putters and mine no doubt has about as little as it's possible to have. But standing over a putt knowing I've got it lined up sure beats any of that tech, for me. Now whether I've read it right or can hit it on the line I've picked, that's an entirely different story. I just know that I feel the most confident with the tried and true. Ymmv.

The art of putting............it is a two faced mistress. Lots of variables to deal with, on just the putter it self - length / loft / grip size / blade-mallet-heel/toe weighting / overall putter weight / face insert or no insert / grip back weighting or not and I'm sure there's likely more, but that's enough for now. I've had different putters from different decades from the 60's up till now and some where good and some were awful.Now what I've found through all these years of trial and error is that once you find a putter that fits the eye and you are comfortable with, it then becomes the indian and not the arrow. I play with a group of guys that the majority of them go through putters like like their holding a snake by the tail and then there's mister Bill. He's played the same putter (Titleist bullseye) for the past 40 years and he's not one to bet against when on the green with that putter in hand. I myself have just had a semi epiphany with a 1967 Ping answer dalehead. I found that striking the ball in the middle of the face was not the optimum contact point. The ball, when struck further back towards the hosel area, allows for a more solid feel off the face and a much better role. I've tried this with other Ping style putters and found the same reactions. I know, slightly left of OP's discussion, but perhaps there's some merit in this offering that could help with his decision. To the OP. If you have found one that fits the eye / feel and you roll it with a modicum of confidence, then that's the one to stay with and practice with..........the more you juggle with putters, the more they seem to become the snake by the tail................

Somehow I got two of the putters today, that is very fast shipping! I will have a chance tomorrow to try the two out, with the other two that are standbys. I hit the Ping and Yes! on the carpet, the Ping feels amazing and the quality of workmanship is very high.The Yes! is very loud with all the yellow. After hitting them i noticed they are very different, the Ping feels better, but the Yes! is very good as well. I also think the grooves on the Yes! work quite well. I hope I can figure it out tomorrow, but feel it will take time. I am starting to get really used to the Odyssey #6, and my confidence level with it is very high, especially inside 6 feet. It just feels awkward on long putts. The Ping Redwood is a piece of art to look at.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Played nine today an alternated between the Yes! and the Ping. At first it was pretty close, but when I got used to the Ping, it was all over. I dropped a birdie with the Ping after an awesome iron shot, if I do say so myself. I also dropped another great putt with the Ping on the last hole for par, and that sealed the deal. The Bocci hasn't arrived yet, but it really has it's work cut out.

Bag is in overhaul mode

The Boccieri H1 putter finally came in Friday. I played today and took both the Redwood and H1 to the course. I thought for sure the H1 would be over powering and just to heavy to compete with the Redwood. The H1 is one amazing putter, I love this thing! It just oozes confidence. I was also surprised by the super soft touch that it has. You can dial in softness to a fine degree. This is a great buy for what they can be had for. The H1 is in the bag. I was surprised at this as the Redwood is a very fine and well made putter, as the craftsmanship is very good. The course I play at has very fast greens to deal with. As for now the Bocci has honors, but this guy I know has some Scottys for sale.......

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update. I put the Lampkin Sink putter grip on the Redwood and it is awesome. But I went ahead and picked up a Scotty Cameron X5R, and it is simply amazing. My friend has one, and the best part of his game is putting. The greens are so fast around here, and my frustration was getting out of control, so I picked up this putter, and the control really helps.

Bag is in overhaul mode