ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

If Evnroll...

justwellsyjustwellsy Advanced Members Posts: 972
...putters are so "awesome" and do so well in testing, why can't I find a single Pro that uses one?

Personally I hate the feel of these putters off the face and have never seen a single ball "work back toward the hole" on a mishit like they claim.

Over hyped?
Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
Callaway MD2 50 deg
Vokey SM4 54 Deg
Callaway MD2 60 Deg
Odyssey White Hot #7
Ball: Apply for position

Comments

• Sean289Sean289 Advanced Members Posts: 900
    justwellsy wrote:

...putters are so "awesome" and do so well in testing, why can't I find a single Pro that uses one?

Personally I hate the feel of these putters off the face and have never seen a single ball "work back toward the hole" on a mishit like they claim.

Over hyped?

I have this thought exactly as well but they do seem to get a lot of love on here.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: PING G400 Max[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: PING G30[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: PING G30[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Hybrid: Taylormade M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4-9: PING G Series[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PW: Titleist Vokey SM5 48[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SW: Titleist Vokey SM5 52[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LW: Titleist Vokey SM5 60[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: PING Anser Tr 1966[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Titleist ProV1x[/font]
  • Etiger83Etiger83 Advanced Members Posts: 1,338
    I've never had an evnroll in hand, but I wouldn't be quick to judge the quality of a product by how many pros play it
  • toctoc Advanced Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭
    Not a particularly good feeling putter in my opinion. Feels hollow with a tin-like sound.
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • numberonecoognumberonecoog Advanced Members Posts: 466 ✭✭
    One reason

• GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Advanced Members Posts: 1,359 ✭✭
    Now I have the ER2 and have seen the ball move back towards center a few times. I'm a feel player and the only thing I've a problem with is the weight, and at 33" the 385gr head feels very heavy at times. Thinking of the 370gr or 355gr head with the Evnroll pistol grip, just don't know which one would feel the best.
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Advanced Members Posts: 972
    Etiger83 wrote:
    I've never had an evnroll in hand, but I wouldn't be quick to judge the quality of a product by how many pros play it

My first judgement was made based off my feedback from using it. The heads are larger than I'm used to and they don't feel very good. It just seems funny to me that so many amateurs praise these putters and other sites have ranked them #1 in testing, yet I can't find any pros who use them. My thought is that the tech is aimed at helping people who don't putt very consistently, but may not be the correct feel for better putters.
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
  • BrianbigoatsBrianbigoats Advanced Members Posts: 394 ✭✭
    The I have seen them in a few LPGA and Champions tour bags so some pros are using them
  • tatertottatertot Advanced Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭
    They help golfers who miss the sweetspot on the putter ... and that eliminates most pros?
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Advanced Members Posts: 5,082 ✭✭
    Feel is very subjective. I love the feel of my ER2. To each his own. There's a reason they can't keep up with production. It's a **** good putter but no one putter is for everybody.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrid
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Advanced Members Posts: 1,125
    Putters are like taste in women, everyone has something they love or like better than something else. It doesn't make me wrong that I like brunettes and you like blondes. It makes our tastes different.

I don't know about the ball working back to the hole, what I do know is that I have an ER2, I like it. It is currently in my bag, my distance control is better than it was, I make more 3-8 footers than I used to. My mid range makes are still about the same. When my putting gets stale I break out something completely different(No.9) to swing it back around.
    Driver - Ping 400 MAX on UST Mamiya Green Proto
    Fairway - Cobra 3-4 LTD on UST Axivcore Black
    Srixon 785 5 wood on UST Axivcore Black
    Hybrid - TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* on UST Hybrid black
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on NIppon 130
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Advanced Members Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Once they start making them with a plumber's neck, you'll see at least a few players on tour game them in a tournament. How long they will stay in the bag is anyone's guess.
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Advanced Members Posts: 1,125
    edited May 2017

Once they start making them with a plumber's neck, you'll see at least a few players on tour game them in a tournament. How long they will stay in the bag is anyone's guess.

I believe they are available for Pro's already with "optional necks". There is a picture of someone's visit to the office there for a custom fitting and one had a mid-slant looking neck on it. Remember Rife Putters made their inroads on the Champions and LPGA tours, I imagine EVNROLL will concentrate and start there as well. I am sure he will get in bags on all tours at some point. Remember some companies require you to play a putter of theirs in club contracts. Ping is one and I believe Callaway is that way as well now. Titleist may not require it but their is a big bonus for playing one. Big name guys can probably get out of it with some of the companies, except Ping. Ping requires the putter.
  • gdb99gdb99 Advanced Members Posts: 1,591 ✭✭
    I thought Evnroll had an LPGA tour win?

I just read an article that said that anyway.
    Cobra King LTD, Black Tie Regular flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular
    Mizuno MP-4's
    Vokey SM7 54M
    Odyssey #2
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭
    justwellsy wrote:

Over hyped?

Why do no pros play the EVNROLL putters? Why is TaylorMade #1 in driver count? Why do so many pros play Titleist balls? Why do so many pros play Cameron putters?

The answer to all of the above is: money

PGA Tour pros will not do anything without getting paid for it. The Senior Tour and LPGA pros don't seem to go quite as far in that regard.

It's nothing more than that.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    NRJyzr wrote:
    justwellsy wrote:

Over hyped?

Why do no pros play the EVNROLL putters? Why is TaylorMade #1 in driver count? Why do so many pros play Titleist balls? Why do so many pros play Cameron putters?

PGA Tour pros will not do anything without getting paid for it. The Senior Tour and LPGA pros don't seem to go quite as far in that regard.

While that is true to some extent. There are plenty of players who play putters that are not in line with their club contract. It's the one club most players are not willing to budge on. How many players on Callaway staff (Pre-Toulon) use or used Scotty Cameron putters? A bunch. They're going to use whatever works for them and may try to switch to their sponsor company but most end up going back.

My major point here is that I believe the tech in the Envroll putters is designed to help golfers who are bad putters. Scotty Cameron is ALWAYS near the bottom of the pack when it comes to data testing on other sites I will not name. Yet, so many pros use them because they are traditional and you know what you are getting. Scotty's putters aren't going to do a lot for you tech wise, but you know what you are getting when you buy one.

If Evnroll putters were truly that beneficial to EVERYONE, you'd see more (or any at all) using them.
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    justwellsy wrote:

NRJyzr wrote:
    justwellsy wrote:

Over hyped?

While that is true to some extent. There are plenty of players who play putters that are not in line with their club contract. It's the one club most players are not willing to budge on. How many players on Callaway staff (Pre-Toulon) use or used Scotty Cameron putters? A bunch. They're going to use whatever works for them and may try to switch to their sponsor company but most end up going back.

My major point here is that I believe the tech in the Envroll putters is designed to help golfers who are bad putters. Scotty Cameron is ALWAYS near the bottom of the pack when it comes to data testing on other sites I will not name. Yet, so many pros use them because they are traditional and you know what you are getting. Scotty's putters aren't going to do a lot for you tech wise, but you know what you are getting when you buy one.

If Evnroll putters were truly that beneficial to EVERYONE, you'd see more (or any at all) using them.

I bought mine because I loved the way it looked behind the ball. The fact that I'm missing fewer putts is a win win.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    justwellsy wrote:

NRJyzr wrote:
    justwellsy wrote:

Over hyped?

While that is true to some extent.

Not trying to be snarky, but... it's not just "true to some extent." It's merely true.

There are plenty of players who play putters that are not in line with their club contract. It's the one club most players are not willing to budge on. How many players on Callaway staff (Pre-Toulon) use or used Scotty Cameron putters?

Putters are usually the "wiggle room" in the endorsement contract. Except for Ping, and that's one reason a fair number of players who would otherwise sign with Ping do not do so, because Ping insists they play a Ping putter.

The reason Callaway staffers are playing a Cameron, or look to be playing a Cameron, is because they're paid to. Acushnet pays better.

Same reason you'll not infrequently see TM drivers come out from under another company's headcover. TM pays better.

It might seem logical, but history shows otherwise. It's been demonstrated repeatedly that Tour Pros will, generally and collectively speaking, chase the money. With the occasional exception, they won't play a club unless they get paid for doing so.

Even if they do otherwise in the short term, eventually it will come back to the money.

Remember Ryan Moore and Scratch Golf? Or, going more exotic, remember Bob Estes and his use of the Louisville Smart Driver in PGA Tour events? Neither was a long term situation, they eventually got paid to play something else.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    NRJ....

I find the single club (generally driver or putter) usage outside of contract is only for clubs that are actually good. It's easy for a player to take money for playing an Epic or M series driver because they are the best on the market. These days, the better players are not going to game a Dunlop driver even if they pay double what TM or Cally would. Times are changing because the purses on tour are so huge now. Clothing contracts are paying out more and more money and less players are gaming a full bag of the same clubs. Of course there are exceptions and you'll mainly see them with the lower tier or up and coming players who have not yet made a lot of money.

My main point here is more about the benefits of the EVNROLL Technology for better players. Putting is probably the best part of my game and I find that Evnroll is not the best choice for me and have not found many better players who think differently. There's no harm in designing a putter aimed at people who need the most help... in fact, it's brilliant. But the pint I was trying to make is that the benefit is not there for the top tier of players because they mishit putts so infrequently and those mishit are still noticeably closer to center than the average amateur. It's fine if you like these putters and it helps your game, I was simply trying g state that I don't think it will ever catch on with the pros.

Btw, Martin Kaymer has used a Ping putter for the majority of his career even though he is a Taylormade guy. He recently switched to a TM blade because they've vastly improved their lineup. I think you can say the same for a vast majority of players using the TM spider putters. The fact they pay you to use it is great, but it's also just about the best putter on the market at the moment. If I had an extra $300 lying around I'd have one in my bag too.
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    The benefit won't be there for a top tier player wellsy. They could still win with a $29 putter from Walmart.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag
    Well, quoting the interview present on another site that I probably shouldn't name:

“No one hits the sweet spot all the time; Pro’s mishit all the time. The capsule message we have going with this technology is that we eliminate the mishit. I jokingly say ‘it’s not my fault anymore.’ ”

I think it's obvious, generally speaking, that the EVNROLL would help the general public, even the WRX membership at large, more than it might the Tour Professionals. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Shoes by True Linkswear
    Ping requires players to use their putter no ifs and or butts.

The other Companies are not as rigid. However much is based on the player and how good they are.

If Phil told Callaway I am playing with _____ Putter he can get away with it. Same thing probably for anyone in the top 50 World rankings at the time they sign their contract. Callaway does require some players to play Odyssey or Toulon putters. Kisner, has played an Odyssey most of his career (at least since I met him right out of college other than when he played a SSB Custom for two years) so I am not sure where the line is.

Bottom line is players have more leeway with putters than any other club. However EVNROLL has very little to no presence on the PGA tour so far. I know they have been to a couple of events, and they have spent a bunch of time on the Champions and LPGA tours. They have a win by a LPGA player. Rife putters started and really made their name on the LPGA and Champions tour, seems to reason they would start their this time around too. I do know a couple of PGA players have orders in for special EVNROLLS. The problem is EVNROLL cannot announce anything since they are not paying people.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭

Bottom line is players have more leeway with putters than any other club.

I'm not sure that is necessarily true. I think it depends more on how many clubs that player has written in their contract. Few brands make full 14 club deals with their players, I think only Ping and Nike did that. You see a bunch of players using an odd wedge, wood or hybrid as well.

Regarding Evnroll on tour, just wait a couple years. I believe they are already on the LPGA and the Champions Tour, but it will take a while longer before they reach the PGA Tour. They are still very new, but expanding fast.

I had an Evnroll ER1. It wasn't for me, too heavy and slow coming off the face, but it was still a very nice made milled putter. Tons of people, tour pro's included, are going to like these regardless of the groove technology.
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Advanced Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I agree with the give it time sentiment. Evnroll is still an infant in the equipment world. I think they are rolling out some pretty interesting putters, even if the groove technology is as dramatic of an improvement for tour caliber players, these are still really solid putters. I have an ER6B and was impressed, but ultimately, the feel was just too soft for me personally and I left way to many putts short with it. That said, I'm still keeping the putter and was impressed with it enough that I will give it another shot down the road.
    WITB (short set edition)

TM 1017 M1 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage XT 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree - GD AD Hybrid 95g
    Scratch EZ1 - 4,6,8,PW
    Scratch Golf - 56 Degree
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • YzmerfYzmerf Advanced Members Posts: 656
    I recently picked one up an ER2. One thing i noticed is the feedback. Feel is obviously subjective but i can tell you if you hit it low, high, left or right it will feel different. Sweet spot is just that, sweet. Miss it and you feel it, but you are not punished as much. By the way the groves do not curve the ball, they simply control the distance on miss toe or heel hits. My understanding is the theory is no matter where you hit it on the face the distance control will be consistent. I can say the 2 dots thing works though, but not because of curve, just because as a whole we tend to miss putts low, hit it on the toe it starts more right( left breaking putts) and vice versa. As far as why you dont see more, i guarantee if you paid someone the same to play a SC or a Evnroll, the putter count would be fairly close. Even the playing field and they would be in play, they are easily that good.
    TaylorMade M1 10.5 Diamana 60 S+
    TaylorMade M1 17 degree White Tie
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade 770 4-P KBS Tour FLT
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    2018 SC Squareback 1/500
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Advanced Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    Geez this is a brand new company. WTF. The fact that they have generated this much interest this fast is pretty incredible especially since it's not a cheap putter. The putter seems to work well for a lot of people. But I could see how if you weee used to a crappy Cameron you would not like it.
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
  • Browns71213Browns71213 Advanced Members Posts: 579 ✭✭
    I contacted their marketing person a couple months ago to ask who on tour was playing their putters. They said there were a number of players on tour using them, but they couldn't tell me who since they were not paying them. Seemed a bit odd to me having been a former PR/Marketing guy. They could simply say player X, while not a staff member, is currently using our putter.
    Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
    Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
    Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
    Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
    Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter
  • MaximilianMaximilian Advanced Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭
    I don't really get that. I'm on Seemore's mailing list and any time Zach Johnson does anything of interest they send out an email about it, but they never use his name. I don't understand why they can't?
  • KDizKDiz Advanced Members Posts: 107
    They probably don't have the player's permission to use their name to advertise their product.
  • Browns71213Browns71213 Advanced Members Posts: 579 ✭✭
    KDiz wrote:

They probably don't have the player's permission to use their name to advertise their product.

Your correct, but my inquiry has nothing to do with advertising, I simply asked who plays them. Besides, Playing their putter in a televised golf tournament makes it an obvious discovery that they should be able to discuss based on a direct request for information.
    Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
    Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
    Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
    Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
    Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter
  • Calif_MulliganCalif_Mulligan Advanced Members Posts: 259
    edited May 2017

I believe they are available for Pro's already with "optional necks". There is a picture of someone's visit to the office there for a custom fitting and one had a mid-slant looking neck on it. Remember Rife Putters made their inroads on the Champions and LPGA tours, I imagine EVNROLL will concentrate and start there as well. I am sure he will get in bags on all tours at some point. Remember some companies require you to play a putter of theirs in club contracts. Ping is one and I believe Callaway is that way as well now. Titleist may not require it but their is a big bonus for playing one. Big name guys can probably get out of it with some of the companies, except Ping. Ping requires the putter.

The face design is already available in plumbers necks and other designs. Geurin has another putter company that operates out of the same office complex. Google Geurin Design Putters Company.

I'm surprised that the Evnroll crowd haven't mentioned that Geurin Rife has another company or have other options other than the Evnroll.
  • longballjslongballjs Advanced Members Posts: 1,454
    I didn't think the rife putters had the same grooves as evnroll, I think they are all symmetrical in rife

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5 Fujikura Pro Green 62 xstiff

Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Evnroll ER 5
  • nosilnosil Advanced Members Posts: 791 ✭✭

Your correct, but my inquiry has nothing to do with advertising, I simply asked who plays them. Besides, Playing their putter in a televised golf tournament makes it an obvious discovery that they should be able to discuss based on a direct request for information.

It is still using a players name without their permission and a form of advertising.

As to why I don't think pros are using the putter. The center of the face is designed to not hit the ball as far as the edges of the putters. I read a comment from Sean Toulon about a putter he had a pro try and the player told him that it was a nice putter but it was too hot off the face and rolled the ball too far. IMO Pros have grooved their stroke lengths for certain distances and by playing an EVNRoll putter, they don't get the same roll they are used too.
  • sleuthsleuth Advanced Members Posts: 695 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I love Rife putters, so EVNROLL was a natural progression for me. I haven't used the Guerin Design putters with the wave groove technology, but I find it hard to believe that grooves make a large difference outside of feel.

I hear the groove debate a lot in wedges and most agree that it's simply helpful to clear debris. I recall conversations about Maltby saying grooveless wedges/irons will still impart a significant amount of spin. If true - why are grooves so drastically different in putters? This I cannot answer, but something that nags me time to time when I see all this forward roll talk. I don't think there is a right answer to this one, and the same no win debate as ball compression.

Just play it if you like it.
  • Calif_MulliganCalif_Mulligan Advanced Members Posts: 259
    longballjs wrote:

I didn't think the rife putters had the same grooves as evnroll, I think they are all symmetrical in rife

'Guerin Design Putters Company' of Carlsbad is not Rife...which is located in Seattle.
  • thejuicethejuice Advanced Members Posts: 2,065
    I just played my third round with my ER2. I had 38 putts that included 3 three-putts and a four-putt. Those bad putts were all on me. Where this putter shines is distance control from putts outside 15 feet. I had quite a few tap-ins on top of those bad putt showings. The ER2 is a solid putter for me. More so than my O-works #9.
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Advanced Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    Who cares what the pros play. If you did you would be playing a beat up piece of junk like Sneds plays.
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
    nosil wrote:

It is still using a players name without their permission and a form of advertising.

As to why I don't think pros are using the putter. The center of the face is designed to not hit the ball as far as the edges of the putters. I read a comment from Sean Toulon about a putter he had a pro try and the player told him that it was a nice putter but it was too hot off the face and rolled the ball too far. IMO Pros have grooved their stroke lengths for certain distances and by playing an EVNRoll putter, they don't get the same roll they are used too.

The groves are designed to hit the ball the same distance no matter where you hit it on the face. Toe or heel strikes loose distance the groves make up for that. The middle of the face where the grooves are the widest actually absorbs energy.
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    2018 SC Squareback 1/500
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
    Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

The groves are designed to hit the ball the same distance no matter where you hit it on the face. Toe or heel strikes loose distance the groves make up for that. The middle of the face where the grooves are the widest actually absorbs energy.

Yes, I realize that. The grooved in the middle make a 20 foot putt roll lets say 19 feet and the offcenter hits roll 19 feet making them roll the same. A pro thinking they are hitting a putt 20 feet that only goes 19 will create issues.
    nosil wrote:

Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

Yes, I realize that. The grooved in the middle make a 20 foot putt roll lets say 19 feet and the offcenter hits roll 19 feet making them roll the same. A pro thinking they are hitting a putt 20 feet that only goes 19 will create issues.

So you are saying they cant adjust? There is an adjustment period just like any other putter but one you have the center dialed in, you also have slight mishits as well. If your speed is right you will catch more edges and more will fall.

By the way, noticed the Evnroll bag on the green at Sawgrass, just a matter of time.
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    2018 SC Squareback 1/500
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
    Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

So you are saying they cant adjust? There is an adjustment period just like any other putter but one you have the center dialed in, you also have slight mishits as well. If your speed is right you will catch more edges and more will fall.

By the way, noticed the Evnroll bag on the green at Sawgrass, just a matter of time.

No, not saying they can't adjust. Please reference my comment regarding Sean Toulon's discussion with professional players; they would prefer not too.
    I guess I can't fathom that kind of touch.
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    2018 SC Squareback 1/500
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Advanced Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    Very nice line of putters, but not a high probability of being around in two years unless one of the big boys purchases them. His first company, Rife, was around 3 years (?) before almost going bankrupt, basically ceasing operations and later being sold to Innovex. Golf equipment market is just too competitive for most small industry players like this.

Very nice line of putters, but not a high probability of being around in two years unless one of the big boys purchases them. His first company, Rife, was around 3 years (?) before almost going bankrupt, basically ceasing operations and later being sold to Innovex. Golf equipment market is just too competitive for most small industry players like this.

Rife started selling putters in 2005 or 06

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Iblade 6-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Advanced Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

Rife started selling putters in 2005 or 06

Rife as a company by Guerin Rife and investors ceased to exist after it shutdown operations in late 2009. What you have now is a brand, that was purchased in early 2010 by Innovex. Guerin Rife nor any of the original design team have worked with the Rife product in 8 years.
  • greenj20greenj20 Members Posts: 20
    Intersting interview here. Only reason he didn't make it with Rife was Cobra bailing out at the last minute.

Some good stuff here about how the putters are built and how they are intended to be used. (2 dots for a reason). Love my ER2.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - King F7[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fairway: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade - M2 2017 3 HL[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - King F7 3H, Cobra - King F8 ONE 4H, 5H [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - F-MAX ONE PW-6[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - F-MAX ONE GW (50), SW (55)[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Evnroll ER2[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ball: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Vice - Pro+ Lime[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Sun Mountain Phantom - Black[/font][/font]
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Advanced Members Posts: 1,455 ✭✭
    I like them because they are a very tingy, old ping like feel, which I have an affinity to. Can be found for a much more reasonable price now too. Just picked up a brand new ER5 for $209 shipped.
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!!! Advanced Members Posts: 1,112
    I love my ER5 hatchback. Weight is perfect for me and I have reduced my number of 3 putts.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In My Bag[/background][/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g[/background][/font]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX[/background]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Vokey SM6 58*, 50*[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Evnroll ER5 [/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Snell MTB/TP5X[/background][/font]

#insideTMAG 2013
  • Life on 14Life on 14 Members Posts: 16
    Agreed, don’t judge the quality on tour usage. But also let’s be realistic that changing the surface area as you progress from center to off center is not going to fully mitigate the energy loss from hitting it off center. Been on quintic myself and see the effect of off center hits is still really dramatic no matter what putter.
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Advanced Members Posts: 215 ✭✭

Ping requires players to use their putter no ifs and or butts.

The other Companies are not as rigid. However much is based on the player and how good they are.

If Phil told Callaway I am playing with _____ Putter he can get away with it. Same thing probably for anyone in the top 50 World rankings at the time they sign their contract. Callaway does require some players to play Odyssey or Toulon putters. Kisner, has played an Odyssey most of his career (at least since I met him right out of college other than when he played a SSB Custom for two years) so I am not sure where the line is.

Bottom line is players have more leeway with putters than any other club. However EVNROLL has very little to no presence on the PGA tour so far. I know they have been to a couple of events, and they have spent a bunch of time on the Champions and LPGA tours. They have a win by a LPGA player. Rife putters started and really made their name on the LPGA and Champions tour, seems to reason they would start their this time around too. I do know a couple of PGA players have orders in for special EVNROLLS. The problem is EVNROLL cannot announce anything since they are not paying people.

Tony Finau is a PING player but uses a Piretti Putter.
  • woods991woods991 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,297 ClubWRX
    To the original OP they are on tour FYI but money is the game my friend they do not pay to play and unfortunately many pros require pay to play it’s that simple. And secondly the feel is subjective especially in putters imo Scotty’s are overrated yet a lot of p,Ayers use the, because of money. Now Scotty’s would be played even if they didn’t pay pros but no where the percentages in play if he did t offer money. It’s that simple...
    Signature of Solon CC
    Cobra Franken9 10.5 with Tour AD VR 6s playing at 44.75
    TEE XCG6 15* w/ Accra FX200F M4 (Stiff) 75g
    Titleist 917 f2 Diamana Thump 18 degree
    Titleist 718 Ap2 5~PW Steelfiber i80
    Callaway Tour Issue Hot Melt Apex 3 hybrid KK Silver 80
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll er9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”