Some Things Wisconsin Golf

PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 594 ✭✭
This is going to be a great year for Wisconsin golf. The US Open at Erin Hills. The LPGA is coming to Green Bay and with Stricker now playing the Senior/Champions Tour I think we will see them back.

That having been said, I am in a bad way. I know May 2nd is early in the season, yet we are coming off the 6th wettest April in the SE Wisconsin since records started being kept in 1871. 20 of the 30 days in April had rain, and despite no rain today the ground is so super saturated standing water is common on many area courses. Shots in the fairway plug and in the rough...forget about it. I fear this will lead to serious illness and time away from work once we get two or three days in a row with highs above 50 and sun.

Assuming Noah and his Ark don't appear in my drive way the prospects offer a glimmer of hope. I have a tee time set for Sand Valley, Whistling Straits and the Irish, an invitation for a July date at the Milwaukee Country Club and a list of area courses I have yet to play.

If you are not from the area reach out to us. I have found other Sconies ready to give course, food and lodging suggestions to any out of state visitor with a full wallet and a desire to donate to the local economy. One word of caution however, if I catch you doing a rain dance...

Phred
If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Comments

• gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,694 ✭✭
    Seems like it either froze, snowed or rained every day since the stretch of 60s we got in February!

Love your itinerary for the season. Weather forecast is clear and sunny for a week, starting on Thursday...
  • JoeHatesSnowJoeHatesSnow Posts: 314 ✭✭
    Life is good today. Playing 9 holes for league tonight, and playing Trappers Turn on Saturday and Wild Rock on Sunday. Sunny, upper 50s/low 60s and light winds thru the weekend. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • smith851smith851 Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Heading to MKE for Fathers Day weekend (Wednesday-Monday), also US Open weekend. Brother in Law lives in Whitefish Bay... we booked a shotgun start tee time (730am) at Washington County on Saturday (never played really looking forward to it), going to the US Open on Thursday. I have played all Destination Kohler tracks sans Straits Course (that isnt in the cards this weekend), as well as The Bull and EH... best place to try and play Friday AM within 45 mins? Ive played Fire Ridge and The Bog too

my Boxgroove account has access to North Shore, Tripoli, and River Club on Mequon nearby... any of these worth the setting up?

I make usually 3-4 MKE trips a year and will look forward to utilizing this thread for all things WI Golf
    Callaway Rogue 9* / Project-X Even Flow Blue 65 6.5
    Callaway XR 16 Pro 16* / Fujikura Speeder Evo II TS 765
    Srixon Z745 (3i-PW) / Dynamic Gold S400
    Callaway MD3 50*, 54* & 58* / Dynamic Gold S300
    Odyssey Versa #1Wide w/ SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,747 ✭✭
    On the bright side, the courses are much more lush than they usually seem to be this time of year! But negative rollout on drives has been a killer thus far... Hoping that the current weather at least holds steady, as I have tee times at the Bull and then the Straits set up for this Saturday and can't wait to tee off. Should be an amazing day of golf, even if Mother Nature has other plans in mind.
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 or Yonex Ezone 380 9* Matrix MFS 40+
    TM M2 15* Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 73 or Yonex Ezone ST 15* Matrix MFS 40+
    TM TP UDI 21* S300
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P S300
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54 Nippon Modus 115
    Cleveland RTX4 58 Nippon Modus 125
    Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Jailbird S Mini
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 594 ✭✭
    Smith,

It sounds as if you are staying in the Whitefish Bay area, and if you can get on, Brown Deer is a very solid course. Lawsonia is also very doable as a day trip from the Milwaukee area and I did not see that on your "played" list.
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,694 ✭✭
    Headed to play Lawsonia next Wednesday. Excited for a good time with friends at a great course. (For me, either Links or Woodlands is solid. )
    I was in Madison over the weekend for the graduation of one of my girls. The pro at my club got me on to the course at Maple Bluff for a round before we left town to come home today. The club was founded in 1899 and I believe it is the oldest country club in the state. It is classic tree lined fairways, and while it is not long, it is definitely not an easy course to score on. The greens were wickedly fast and after 18 holes I still had little confidence in my judgement of speed. I generally try to play University Ridge when visiting Madison, but this was a very fun throw back to old school golf.

Next weekend is a graduation for my other daughter. This one in Boston. Unfortunately the clubs will not be making the trip.

Phred
    University Ridge booked solid on a Wednesday, so making first time appearance at The Oaks in Sun Prairie tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully rain holds off. Heard good things...
  • geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,611 ✭✭
    interested to hear your take on The Oaks
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - TP6HD Firm tipped xx" - 44.25" (CANNON!)
    TEE XCG7 Beta 5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 1.625" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S
    Coutour Dornoch Putter 33" - 365g Head - SS Flatso 2.0
    edited May 21, 2017 #12
    geochitown wrote:

interested to hear your take on The Oaks

I was not disappointed. We had a 315 tee time, but due to late arrivals, we asked to push back to 340pm, and the pro shop nicely accommodated.

Really nice layout. Very wide open. We played at 6400 yards instead of 6700. There were two greens on the front guarded by trees, so by the time we got to them at 4pm, they had many twigs, leaves, etc. (And, I still made par.) Otherwise course was in great shape. Southern Wisconsin has had its share of rain, yet I thought the course held up really well. Not a lot of trouble. Great clubhouse (heard food is really good, but basically stuck with liquid refreshment). Beverage cart was out and around enough. Overall, easy 4 of 5 stars --- wait. I forgot. Paid $39 for 18 holes with a cart. Make it 4.5 stars. Locally owned. Friendly staff. Can't find much wrong with it!
  • TheBear95TheBear95 Posts: 422 ✭✭
    I played The Oaks for the first time last year when I was up in the area, it is a fun course. It has a unique lay-out, featuring 6 par 3s and 5 par 5s. The fairways are generous, as it is a second shot course. You can score well, but there are a number of challenging holes. #14 is tough.
    Mizuno ST 190 9.5*
    Mizuno ST 190 15*
    Mizuno CLK 19*, 22*
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC/SC (4-PW)
    Scratch FIT 52*, 58*
    Bettinardi Kuchar 2 Armlock
  • zer0zer0 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭
    Taking advantage of my new Lawsonia membership for the first time this weekend.

Friday Links

Saturday Links

Sunday Woodlands

Monday Links for members scramble.

Weather looks great, I am soooo fired up!
    Beautiful 4 days of golf at Lawsonia, 3 on the Links and 1 on the Woodlands. Both courses in spectacular shape.

Apparently Mike Davis, head of the USGA, was in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago getting ready for the US Open. He made a stop at Sand Valley to talk to the owners and management and they kept bringing up Lawsonia and how great it is. He decided he had to see it for himself so he took a ride over to Green Lake and played the Links. Said it was some of the best greens he had ever seen.
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Posts: 817 ✭✭
    I'm heading up today to play Lawsonia, then Sand Valley tomorrow. Will be playing Lawsonia during the golden hour. Hopefully the weather is nice and I'll get to snap a few pictures of that.
    It has pretty sweet weather wise and I think you should hit it just right for your trip. We live through a long January to savor this. I've been in the far northwest part of the state this week playing, Hayward, Big Fish, Telemark and Forest Ridges. Every day has been mid to upper 70's and the black flies haven't blessed us with their presence yet.

Phred
    Looking forward to hitting the US Open practice rounds on Wednesday, then heading over to play 18 at Washington County.
    games wrote:

Looking forward to hitting the US Open practice rounds on Wednesday, then heading over to play 18 at Washington County.

I wonder what kind of traffic Wash County is going to get next weekend. I've never been to a Major, but I would assume that lots of people bring their clubs and make a golf weekend out of it with 1-2 days at the US Open and a couple days playing golf. It wouldn't take much research to figure out Wash Co is the closest decent course.

I'll be in Green Lake that weekend, just booked my tee times for the Links course at Lawsonia. I'm thinking even Lawsonia will see some increase in traffic. I would imagine that there's a good number of people who don't want to spend the $$ on Kohler and end up at Lawsonia instead. Or maybe some people stopping by on the drive from Kohler to Sand Valley.
    zer0 wrote:

games wrote:

I wonder what kind of traffic Wash County is going to get next weekend. I've never been to a Major, but I would assume that lots of people bring their clubs and make a golf weekend out of it with 1-2 days at the US Open and a couple days playing golf. It wouldn't take much research to figure out Wash Co is the closest decent course.

I'll be in Green Lake that weekend, just booked my tee times for the Links course at Lawsonia. I'm thinking even Lawsonia will see some increase in traffic. I would imagine that there's a good number of people who don't want to spend the $$ on Kohler and end up at Lawsonia instead. Or maybe some people stopping by on the drive from Kohler to Sand Valley.

zer0, that's the odd part. I think I/we overestimate the desire of the out-of-town US Open attendee to bring the sticks and play! I didn't think I was going to get a tee time at WCGC. I ended up with a choice of three tee times in the initial one-hour window I was given by my playing companions.
    games wrote:

That's a terrible idea! You will stand next to a tee box and watch a guy like Rickie or Rory rip one 300+ and say to yourself, "These dudes aren't very big. I should be able to rip it twice as far." Then you will head out to Washington County, tee it up, swing like they did, and the next thing you know, we are sending you Get Well cards!
  • smith851smith851 Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    games wrote:

zer0 wrote:

games wrote:

zer0, that's the odd part. I think I/we overestimate the desire of the out-of-town US Open attendee to bring the sticks and play! I didn't think I was going to get a tee time at WCGC. I ended up with a choice of three tee times in the initial one-hour window I was given by my playing companions.

Washington County GC overestimated too... we booked a round 6 weeks back on US Open Saturday there, it was like $115 and was going to be a 730am shotgun start. As of last week it was reduced to $73 and now we have a set tee time

looking forward to it regardless, playing WCGC and Fire Ridge
    Callaway Rogue 9* / Project-X Even Flow Blue 65 6.5
    Callaway XR 16 Pro 16* / Fujikura Speeder Evo II TS 765
    Srixon Z745 (3i-PW) / Dynamic Gold S400
    Callaway MD3 50*, 54* & 58* / Dynamic Gold S300
    Odyssey Versa #1Wide w/ SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
    smith851 wrote:

games wrote:

zer0 wrote:

games wrote:

Washington County GC overestimated too... we booked a round 6 weeks back on US Open Saturday there, it was like $115 and was going to be a 730am shotgun start. As of last week it was reduced to $73 and now we have a set tee time

That's weak. Glad to see that opportunistic greed blow up in their face.
    House pass weekend! Mrs. Games went to visit DD to help prepare for her wedding. Starting with a round at La Belle in Oconomowoc this morning. I believe it's an old-line private club that went public a few years ago. Have never played there.

This afternoon, might venture to Golf Galaxy. Thinking about buying the Golfworks MMB Black irons. They look sweet!
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Posts: 817 ✭✭
    Returned Saturday from a wonderful 48 hours behind the Cheese Curtain. Part I.

Thursday, after lunch at Langford's, we played Lawsonia Links. I know there are a few people here hyping up Lawsonia - and I just want to make sure that I am now considered among them. The Links course, at least according to my sensibilities, approaches pure perfection. An awesome, uncontrived layout and routing. It is very naturally laid out over the rolling and in some spots quite dramatic landscape. All artificially constructed obstacles (including the ubiquitous raised green complexes) fit the purpose of each hole and the scale of the land. Being an older design on a rolling piece of property, there are a number of blind shots, but nothing of the type where a decent shot ends up in an unrecoverable position. Trees are mostly around the perimeter of the course and there is an open feel to the course. Views are expansive and long fescue gracefully frames the way through the green. While there is long fescue always in view, fairways are generous and the first cut of rough is also quite generous in width so that only the most wayward of shots find the hay.

• ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,826 ✭✭
    zer0 wrote:

smith851 wrote:

games wrote:

zer0 wrote:

games wrote:

That's weak. Glad to see that opportunistic greed blow up in their face.

Yeah, I was disappointed in the price gouge when I saw the US Open week rates back in April when I was checking their site to see if they were open....lost some respect for Washington County. Will it stop me from playing there.....no, but the price gouge thing is BS!

Returned Saturday from a wonderful 48 hours behind the Cheese Curtain. Part I.

Thursday, after lunch at Langford's, we played Lawsonia Links. I know there are a few people here hyping up Lawsonia - and I just want to make sure that I am now considered among them. The Links course, at least according to my sensibilities, approaches pure perfection. An awesome, uncontrived layout and routing. It is very naturally laid out over the rolling and in some spots quite dramatic landscape. All artificially constructed obstacles (including the ubiquitous raised green complexes) fit the purpose of each hole and the scale of the land. Being an older design on a rolling piece of property, there are a number of blind shots, but nothing of the type where a decent shot ends up in an unrecoverable position. Trees are mostly around the perimeter of the course and there is an open feel to the course. Views are expansive and long fescue gracefully frames the way through the green. While there is long fescue always in view, fairways are generous and the first cut of rough is also quite generous in width so that only the most wayward of shots find the hay.

image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' /> image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

As the leading conductor on the Lawsonia Hype Train I'm more than happy to pull into the station and let you climb aboard! Welcome to the club!

Loved your review and I agree completely, Lawsonia Links really is, simply put, a perfect golf course. And you are right, it gets better and better the more you play it. There are so many "hidden" shots you figure out with time. For instance, if the pin on #2 is in the front or middle you can hit your approach to the right side of the fairway 20 yards before the green and the contours of the fairway will gently roll the ball right onto the green about 10-15 feet and leave you a nice uphill short birdie putt. Love that shot. There's so many places you can do stuff like that once you really get to know the course.

The pic of #15 doesn't do that valley justice. I don't even know why I bother taking the first two shots on that hole, I always end up at the bottom of that valley where its a blind 100 yards up the hill to the green.

Hope you enjoyed the food in the Langford, I personally think its the best food in Green Lake. They definitely have the most popular Friday night fish fry with at least an hour wait. And the Saturday night prime rib is really good as well.

As much as I love Lawsonia even I can't defend the driving range. The problem is that the course is built on top of sand which is on top of a large rock ( I think limestone) deposit. Unfortunately in the place where the range is the rock deposit underneath has that large dip in elevation which causes the hitting area of the range to be so much lower than the landing area. I will tell you that on the opposite side of the range there is a flat area to hit from, but its for members only.

I'm interested to hear your review of Sand Valley and how you liked it compared to Lawsonia.

Great review once again, it warms my heart to read such glowing comments about my favorite place on Earth. Only 4 days till I'm back up there!
    48 Hours behind the Cheese Curtain pt.II: Sand Valley

We made the 1hr 40min drive from Ripon/Green Lake to Sand Valley on Thursday. It should have been only a hour and twenty minute drive, but a bridge over I-39 was out and we had to backtrack and re-route, which took us through charming (NOT!) hamlets like Hancock, WI. The last stretch of state road and the entrance road to Sand Valley was smooth and freshly paved. We pulled up to the roundabout in front of the newly opened, modern rustic clubhouse - an impressive vertically sided wood and glass building of dormers and gables. We were greeted by staff and introduced to our caddies who prepared themselves for their double loop day while we went off to the well appointed pro shop to pay our greens fees. From there we all boarded a shuttle bus and took a short uphill ride to Craig's Porch (a light food and drink oasis) and the practice/1st tee area. Though you get an idea of the landscape during the long drive to the clubhouse, it is from Craig's Porch where you can best take in the immense rolling sandscape, laid over with ribbons of green turf. It is a stunning, special setting, unfamiliar to most Midwesterners.

• ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,826 ✭✭
    Gawd you have me itching to get back to Lawsonia.....gonna take my dad and brother there later in the summer/early fall.
  • HighSpeedSceneHighSpeedScene Banned Posts: 3,183
    I miss green lake terribly - "lost" it in the divorce...
    edited Jun 15, 2017 #31
    zer0 wrote:

The pic of #15 doesn't do that valley justice. I don't even know why I bother taking the first two shots on that hole, I always end up at the bottom of that valley where its a blind 100 yards up the hill to the green.

Pretty sure it's #13, but your point is right on. That valley is deep and steep. Very intimidating when you are down there - and I was down there. It was one of the spots on the course I remembered from my round a dozen years ago. I was down there then, too.

Hope you enjoyed the food in the Langford, I personally think its the best food in Green Lake. They definitely have the most popular Friday night fish fry with at least an hour wait. And the Saturday night prime rib is really good as well.

Langford's looks like a good place to hang. We had lunch on the deck. Simple fare. I had a chicken sandwich. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal. I would definitely consider going back. We were going to try it the following night for the Fish Fry after Sand Valley, but during our round we decided that we didn't want to drive the hour and twenty minutes back to Green Lake hungry, dusty and tired, so we ate at Mammoth Lounge at Sand Valley and it worked out really well.

After our Lawsonia round, we went to a place called the Goose (Duck?) Blind. Their motto is "Where the fun begins and never ends". That's quite a boast and I'm afraid they couldn't quite live up to it. The N.Y. strip special was below average but it seems like a decent enough place to knock back a few and catch a game with your buddies. I will admit, the hostess and our server, had me wishing I was single. And younger. And handsome...

Have a great time in Green Lake, lucky dog!