2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Wishon profiling software

Clafoone

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Tom's profiling software available since he retired?

I checked with Diamond and they are kind of beating around the bush!

We're looking at completely re doing the bend profile shaft software. Diamond and I talked about this as one of the many topics about everything that was involved in them taking over my product line and this one was a little lower on the totem pole of priorities in everything Diamond needed to get up to speed with. They've been talking to programmers over the past month to get quotes and concepts for re doing it. I do not have a firm date or decision yet, but it will happen.

The bigger problem though has been trying to get as many of the shaft companies' latest shaft models to do the measurements to put into the data base of the software. Over the past two years, several of them have changed their tune and will no longer send me multiples of their latest shafts to do the measurements for including them in the software. Their change of heart seems to be coming from the fact they know the current software can be used to find shafts of other companies or of lower prices that have similar to the same profiles. So they're upset that a user of the software could like one of their shafts but dislike the cost and then use the software to go find a similar shaft that costs less.

Diamond does sell a whole lot of different shafts from a whole lot of different shaft makers, some of which are companies that have refused to support the software recently. So our plan will be to use shafts from Diamond's inventory for measurement and hope that with Diamond being a viable customer of the shaft maker, they don't do anything about us putting their shaft measurements into the software.

We also could re program the software to eliminate this capability to find similar shafts and hope that could re open the door for the shaft makers to change back to sending us their shafts for measurement. In all cases we always returned the shafts fully intact so it was not a matter of the shaft makers having to give away shafts. But we'll see what happens.

At any rate, the shaft software is not dead - it's just in rehab.

Tom, I very much appreciate your work. I'm a huge fan of your insight. I think your profiling software is revolutionary and I don't think it gets the respect it deserves. Probably from a manufacturer standpoint, the reason you stated. In our consumer eyes, it's a speeding up of the "finding the right shaft for our clubs" process.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

Is Tom's profiling software available since he retired?

I checked with Diamond and they are kind of beating around the bush!

We're looking at completely re doing the bend profile shaft software. Diamond and I talked about this as one of the many topics about everything that was involved in them taking over my product line and this one was a little lower on the totem pole of priorities in everything Diamond needed to get up to speed with. They've been talking to programmers over the past month to get quotes and concepts for re doing it. I do not have a firm date or decision yet, but it will happen.

The bigger problem though has been trying to get as many of the shaft companies' latest shaft models to do the measurements to put into the data base of the software. Over the past two years, several of them have changed their tune and will no longer send me multiples of their latest shafts to do the measurements for including them in the software. Their change of heart seems to be coming from the fact they know the current software can be used to find shafts of other companies or of lower prices that have similar to the same profiles. So they're upset that a user of the software could like one of their shafts but dislike the cost and then use the software to go find a similar shaft that costs less.

Diamond does sell a whole lot of different shafts from a whole lot of different shaft makers, some of which are companies that have refused to support the software recently. So our plan will be to use shafts from Diamond's inventory for measurement and hope that with Diamond being a viable customer of the shaft maker, they don't do anything about us putting their shaft measurements into the software.

We also could re program the software to eliminate this capability to find similar shafts and hope that could re open the door for the shaft makers to change back to sending us their shafts for measurement. In all cases we always returned the shafts fully intact so it was not a matter of the shaft makers having to give away shafts. But we'll see what happens.

At any rate, the shaft software is not dead - it's just in rehab.

Tom, have you considered licensing your software to shaft manufacturers with part of that agreement being that they supply you with demo shafts?

Well Tom, I'd say all your software did for OEM's was expose their greed based on legitimate facts. Would make sense they won't participate if they send a sample and maltby makes a replica for a 1/3 the cost.

Isn't there a sponsor for golfwrx that rents shafts for consumers to try before buying? Wonder if that company could funnel shafts through you for something in return?

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

This kind of software is a total marketing killer for the shaft companies. The best shafts of 2013-2016 are just as good as the top shafts of 2017. Yes, they use "better materials in defferent ways" but its still a composite cylinder between your hands and a clubhead, there is no magic in there. I will never understand people paying up to 300-400 USD for a shaft when there are plenty of tour proven shaft with same exact bend profile 1-2 year old on ebay for 40-80 $

This comment goes for everything in this capitalist economy though.

Tom, have you considered licensing your software to shaft manufacturers with part of that agreement being that they supply you with demo shafts?

As a thank you for sending me multiples of each of their new shafts each year to measure, I used to offer to give all the companies a gratis copy of the software to have. Unfortunately I think it was from this gesture that some of them looked at it and discovered on their own that it was possible to run a search to find other shafts with similar bend profiles and that began the process of turning them against what we were trying to do with regard to having a much more empirical means to compare full length stiffness designs of shafts. Don;t get me wrong on all the companies, there were some who still support it like Matrix, Aldila, True Temper/Grafalloy, Fujikura, Oban, etc. But the number who were backing out just kept increasing and included several of the companies whose shafts are popular on tour and ones that avid players want to see.

Great News. I am confident the new improved shaft profile software will benefit clubmakers and golfers seeking the best fit over the fearful shaft manufacturers. Diamond Golf carries a significant number of shaft manufacturers so it seems there would be plenty of shafts. I think limiting the filters to find similar shafts would be ok but not having the ability to find similar shafts would be a significant loss from the existing software.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, I've also used the software the other way, which can benefit the shaft companies. I've plugged in old shafts and run the numbers to look for a newer compatible model. Just the other day a customer wanted to look for something similar to a Pro Force V2. He ended up with a "newer" Aldila model.

Curious though, what was the latest software update released before the Diamond acquisition? I think I still might still be working with a version that's a few years old.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a strong suspicion that this program is going to be dead in the water. Real shame if that's true :black eye:

Not dead in the water, just not at the very top of the list for doing anything with it right now. I just did have another conversation with Diamond Golf about it, since they had started the talk and thoughts of us working to completely re do this product. So it is not dead because I most certainly see a huge benefit for having it. But there are several other major projects going on with Diamond Golf right now that for the moment have more priority on the list of things " to-do". It seems to me it is going to possibly be a winter project to try to get it re-constituted and with a plan of action for how to get the shafts to measure to put in the data base since a number of the higher dollar shaft companies have chosen to not support it anymore out of a fear of people being able to use the data to select shafts of similar bend profile but which sell for a lot less money.

Tom, I've also used the software the other way, which can benefit the shaft companies. I've plugged in old shafts and run the numbers to look for a newer compatible model. Just the other day a customer wanted to look for something similar to a Pro Force V2. He ended up with a "newer" Aldila model.

Curious though, what was the latest software update released before the Diamond acquisition? I think I still might still be working with a version that's a few years old.

Thanks

Curious, what aldila shaft was close to the proforce v2?

Depends on the PF v2 weight. The heavier the weight, the stiffer the profile for the v2 (which the case for many of the Aldila shafts).

For the 65 gm version, in my experience, the closest I found was the vs-proto or maybe the Trinity. But even those had some minor differences (well, minor for me).

Depends on the PF v2 weight. The heavier the weight, the stiffer the profile for the v2 (which the case for many of the Aldila shafts).

For the 65 gm version, in my experience, the closest I found was the vs-proto or maybe the Trinity. But even those had some minor differences (well, minor for me).

I play the 65. Just posted a comparison of it to the rogue silver 125msi. Numbers on a launch monitor were exactly the same. A bit tighter dispersion with the rogue.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Tom, mentioned that he and Diamond Golf are moving forward with an improved upgrade to the shaft database but it needs to be rebuilt from scratch so will be some time before it is available to buy.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry16691116

Now that it's been 8 months since the last post, has there been any update?

Tom, mentioned that he and Diamond Golf are moving forward with an improved upgrade to the shaft database but it needs to be rebuilt from scratch so will be some time before it is available to buy.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry16691116

Now that it's been 8 months since the last post, has there been any update?

Haven't seen anything. I have an account and own the legacy software, so I feel like I would see something whenever there comes time to post any new info.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

• 3 weeks later...

TOM: I just got my computer back from repairs shop (4 months)from falling off the conveyor at check in at the airport. Had to replace hard drive , ect.

I tried to contact Diamond to see about loading the software back on my computer. They said they would have to check and get back with me, havent heard from them in 2 months. After reading what you are doing with the software, I understand but it would be nice if I could at least download the old one for my customers and profile what I had before. I know I had to call and was given a code, then downloaded the software and the update. Can I get the code annd software download or am I on my own

Thanks Tom