2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Global Golf rolled me

So I'm unsertain at what I should do . So I recently bought my golf clubs on the 7th . Ping eye 2 square groove . Red dot. Standard length. Zz light in very good condition on globaLgolf website I had a chance to go to the range on Fri day and contacted ping later that night on specifications because the grooves looked off for square. And the grips were beat originals when they stated them to be in 8.5 condition. I thought maybe they were used aftermarket. No pics of exact club when purchased only the genaric ones. My response from ping is here

Our reply: Thank you for your inquiry. Based on the serial number provided the PING clubs were built to the following specification:

Serial Number:9096

Model:EYE2

Club(s):2-9PW

Color Code:BLACK

Swing Weight:D0

Shaft:NZ+

Length:STD

Grip:D-B/W

Status Date:5/9/1983 12:00:00 AM

Enter Date:4/1/1995

Product:IRONS

("U" Groove)

Thanks,

Ryan C

What would you do .im thinking they should regrip or give me a website credit. . Or full return and credit or promo discount with full store credit after return. I can't see myself just sending them back paying for shipping waiting for another set to come buy I want along with my refund with no clubs in hand. I'm very pissed to say the least. Don't go out of your way to call them square groove red dot's and send me these clubs. No research or product check before selling something off for something there not . Am I over dramatic ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm unsertain at what I should do . So I recently bought my golf clubs on the 7th . Ping eye 2 square groove. Zz light . Red dot. Standard length. Zz light in very good condition on globaLgolf website I had a chance to go to the range on Fri day and contacted ping later that night on specifications because the grooves looked off for square. And the grips were beat originals when they stated them to be in 8.5 condition. I thought maybe they were used aftermarket. No pics of exact club when purchased only the genaric ones. My response from ping is here

Our reply: Thank you for your inquiry. Based on the serial number provided the PING clubs were built to the following specification:

("U" Groove)

Thanks,

Ryan C

What would you do .im thinking they should regrip or give me a website credit. . Or full return and credit or promo discount with full store credit after return. I can't see myself just sending them back paying for shipping waiting for another set to come buy I want along with my refund with no clubs in hand. I'm very pissed to say the least. Don't go out of your way to call them square groove red dot's and send me these clubs. No research or product check before selling something off for something there not . Am I over dramatic ?

Yes. Those are old grooves. Buying used clubs online without specific photos of the actual clubs wasn't your best move. You should almost always assume that used clubs will need an immediate regrip.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I sent a email with the sale detail and the ping specifications response and I'm going to see how there service holds up. Global golf was recommended from some of the community here and there on the front pace of a used golf club search on google to back up there professionalism and reputation. So I'm hoping for the best.

Because the damage is done. I bought u grooves with a painted over dot. And either way I'm out the set of clubs I purchased. I'm a lefty and clubs I want are hard to come buy clearly. U can see the chamfer on the tops of the grooves. As ND u grooves are diff from square grooves. At this age of the clubs I don't think the difference would be noticable but the square grooves play better out of the rough from what I gathered. Very stupid to some pointless maybe but this kind of situation needs to be stated because it is something that can clearly happen to anybody who pays significantly more than I did. I'm disappointed in my service. And it cost me time and unwarranted effert to make the situation better for me the buyer. So ya I'll put them on blast and if they make it right that will also be documented.

The frustration is understandable, but you've made an accusation that GlobalGolf "rolled" you and you have zero evidence that they were responsible for painting over the dot.

Asking for a refund or partial refund because the description did not mention the condition of the grips is reasonable. But it is also reasonable that buying clubs without seeing or asking for pictures was your mistake, not the seller's.

The term that was more properly used was "box" grooves, as they lacked the "V" shaped groove traditionally seen in irons up to that point in time.

Square, box, U - they are actually the same thing.

While you had the clubs, did you maybe get the lie angle of the clubs measured now?

I ask, because if the clubs were changed to a red dot, then the lie angle, when changed, would be reflected in the color change in the paint fill of the dot.

Lessons to be learned here, my friend.

And, as for the grips: why would you want to play someone else's old sweaty grips anyway?

Are you mad at the grooves or the grips or what? Really confused as to why you're upset and what you think the store should do about it. Square grooves are U grooves, there are the only grooves on eye 2's from 1983.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Box grooves are not u grooves. In the case of Ping Eye 2 irons - around which the case revolved - there are several types of groove. Early Eye 2s manufactured between approximately 1982 to 1984 have 'V' grooves. Later models, produced for a time during the mid '80s, have the first generation 'square' grooves with unradiused edges; and the latter Eye 2 models have radiused 'U' grooves..

cut and pasted .I'm not here to get into a argument with the general body. When you buy something that is falsly advertized it's just that. I only state the grips because those were also not as described.i planned on getting grips anyway. maybe I should spend the money to have ping sandblast them repaint them and loft them ,then go and buy grips,to get back to where the discription said they were. Money grows on trees in Cali, Washinton, and Colorado but not in NY.

I know nothing about Ping Irons but I do know quite a bit about Global Golf from several years of doing business with them. Their customer service is excellent and I would give them a call and discuss your concerns with them. Every interaction I have had with Global Golf has been satisfactory and on those rare times there was a problem, a phone call to their customer rep had the problem resolved immediately.

But also if the lofts were adjusted by ping they would have been documented so I'm told. Meaning any changes would have been from a untrustworthy source. Did I mention the red paint on the sole of 2 irons.sloppy job I might add. There's bleeding on the paint job as well.very sloppy job. so all I'm gathering here is nothing. It's of no harm to me none of this. I paid for something falsly advertized. Clear as day. Now if the header said u grooves black dot turned into red dot by unkown source with original 30 year old grips. Well then I got what I paid for. Huh

Big chuck thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I'm very hopefull this can get resolved without me missing irons for a few weeks.i joined this site just last week or so to get some advise on buying clubs without swinging them because I'm a lefty and not many shops around me carry them. I stayed away from eBay even tho I bought a driver from a store I will keep nameless that turned out miles better than described. I understand that it doesn't happen alot because there's not many clubs with so many renditions as a ping eye 2. But that's why we have serial numbers on these clubs. It does matter. They could have done the same check I did and better advertized them. after your post I'm hopeful I will do better business with them.

So I'm unsertain at what I should do . So I recently bought my golf clubs on the 7th . Ping eye 2 square groove . Red dot. Standard length. Zz light in very good condition on globaLgolf website I had a chance to go to the range on Fri day and contacted ping later that night on specifications because the grooves looked off for square. And the grips were beat originals when they stated them to be in 8.5 condition. I thought maybe they were used aftermarket. No pics of exact club when purchased only the genaric ones. My response from ping is here

("U" Groove)

Thanks,

Ryan C

They screwed up ... ask for a refund and send them back. What else do you want them to do?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

you have pretty crazy expectations for 30+ year old clubs.

I would say call them up and see what they can do, but with your attitude I am not sure that is going to go too well as it sounds like you expect them to find one of the old Ping club builders from the 80's and get them to come out of retirement to build you a custom set or you wont be happy.

If you are totally dissatisfied, tell them you want to return them and you want them to pay the return shipping. If a website credit will make you feel whole, then ask them for it. I've bought a lot of clubs from Global Golf and am a big fan. They screw up occasionally, like every company, but I've never had them fail to make it right. They have outstanding customer service. Give them the chance to make it right. (Just be reasonable about it.)

-Tom

Well I'm not sure why this is getting blown up. And not sure what a bst is .lol but yes I do need new clubs. But I'm not spending 900 bucks on irons I can't swing. Something about the pings made me laugh when I purchased but hey why not. I've spent hours reading about them even claims of being the best club ever made. So I said why not did alot of research knew I was buying a old club .but the lofts can't be easily adjusted and can break the head. I would hate to break a head on matching serial numbers. I did state I was willing to work something out with them before I asked for a refund. I can't help but to feel like I'm defending myself for buying a falsly advertized iron set. I guess putting a post outside of the cookie cutter material makes people enraged. Would anybody here be satisfied with lofts changed unknowingly from a used deal. I'm at risk for sure but that's why I paid more for them over eBay and Craigslist price.but I really hope this dies down as I don't think it's worth explaining my point of view anymore. There old irons that I'm sure would not hinder my game much. The best I've ever played was with silverscotts. I was closer to the pins on the range than I was with my 2.0 burners in the same session. they were consistent as far as distance go's. Burner 2.0 is like one of those now illegal softball bats. Sometimes they have too much pop come off hot.ive since sold my 2.0

You bought 30 year old used clubs and expected them to have new grips? Grips are like $5-10 a pop and the clubs you got are like $150.

I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from GG (much of it used) and have never had any major issue. All issues were small and promptly resolved. If I was unhappy with a used item, I paid for return shipping because it would be unreasonable to think that I should be able to inspect used items without taking on any risk.

You're bashing a reputable company without having sought proper resolution to your issue... These types of threads tend to get ugly.

I did state I was willing to work something out with them before I asked for a refund. I can't help but to feel like I'm defending myself for buying a falsly advertized iron set. I guess putting a post outside of the cookie cutter material makes people enraged.

You also stated you "hope this dies down..." you're getting valid responses here, and not one person is enraged. What types of responses did you want?

And okay, you said you were willing to work something out with them, so then why title the post "GlobalGolf rolled me?" If you were simply going to try to work out something (like a refund), then why was this necessary?

So.. your driver purchase was great, but the seller can't be named..

The GG is goofed up for sure, but probably nothing worse than wasted time so you start a thread on how you "got rolled".

Am I over dramatic ?

Yes. ;)

My friends from NY would insist you turn in your NY MAN card (while simultaneously spinning you up even more about it).

Since I'm a soft west coast guy, I'd let you have it back after a week.

I'm sure GG will take care of you.

As a righty who sells righty clubs occasionally I'm glad the OP is a lefty.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I sent a email with the sale detail and the ping specifications response and I'm going to see how there service holds up. Global golf was recommended from some of the community here and there on the front pace of a used golf club search on google to back up there professionalism and reputation. So I'm hoping for the best.

In between your google research on U grooves, V grooves, Square grooves and where to buy used golf clubs, take a moment to Google these three words, there, their and they're.