Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review - Continuous On Going Information and Data Updates

14748495052

Comments

  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

    TollBros wrote:

    radiman wrote:


    I have a question about tipping I'm hoping one of the more knowledgeable members can answer. I was kind of shocked to see the spin rates some of the lower spinning shafts were producing. Not as low as I was expecting. Is that where tipping a shaft an inch or more comes into play? I'm still attempting to dissect the info I got from my fitting. We didn't go really in depth in that regard. There were some shafts that felt better to me. If someone were to tip a shaft an inch, would it pretty much feel like a completely different shaft at that point?




    Some shafts are not affected too much by tipping, with most of the difference coming from the way the shaft feels. Now some shafts are affected tremendously by tipping by way of performance. Each shaft has it's own set of unique characteristics, just as each player has their own unique set of needs. How much a shaft needs to be tipped is affected by so many factors about the player, club set up, what you are trying to achieve, etc. I could literally list 15 different factors that we use to decide how to set up a club and how much to tip the shaft. This is probably more a question for it's own thread really.




    I kind of figured as much. I've also come to the conclusion that a good fitting almost needs to be done over the course of multiple seasons. At least for me. If I'm going to be trying more than 3-4 shafts doing it over the course of a couple days would be great. Narrow down the contenders and make adjustments the second time around.



    Being a one and done session, I think I was working on too little information. After spending 4 hours in the car to get there, I was in no position to hit as many drives as I did. Won't have the opportunity to go back for a while, so at least I know the PO is a decent shaft for me.




    At least you can take solace in the fact that Tensei Pro Orange is a pretty unique shaft, so assuming the fitter was good, you don't have too many options in the tip stiff, very low spin, counterbalanced realm. If you fit into Pro Orange, there's really not much out there like it. You'd probably like the Rogue 130 White, but really those are the only two really low spin, counterbalanced shafts with some good feel to them. Assuming your numbers were good, I'm sure you are in good shape there.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,680 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2019 9:45am #1533
    TollBros wrote:

    radiman wrote:

    TollBros wrote:

    radiman wrote:


    I have a question about tipping I'm hoping one of the more knowledgeable members can answer. I was kind of shocked to see the spin rates some of the lower spinning shafts were producing. Not as low as I was expecting. Is that where tipping a shaft an inch or more comes into play? I'm still attempting to dissect the info I got from my fitting. We didn't go really in depth in that regard. There were some shafts that felt better to me. If someone were to tip a shaft an inch, would it pretty much feel like a completely different shaft at that point?




    Some shafts are not affected too much by tipping, with most of the difference coming from the way the shaft feels. Now some shafts are affected tremendously by tipping by way of performance. Each shaft has it's own set of unique characteristics, just as each player has their own unique set of needs. How much a shaft needs to be tipped is affected by so many factors about the player, club set up, what you are trying to achieve, etc. I could literally list 15 different factors that we use to decide how to set up a club and how much to tip the shaft. This is probably more a question for it's own thread really.




    I kind of figured as much. I've also come to the conclusion that a good fitting almost needs to be done over the course of multiple seasons. At least for me. If I'm going to be trying more than 3-4 shafts doing it over the course of a couple days would be great. Narrow down the contenders and make adjustments the second time around.



    Being a one and done session, I think I was working on too little information. After spending 4 hours in the car to get there, I was in no position to hit as many drives as I did. Won't have the opportunity to go back for a while, so at least I know the PO is a decent shaft for me.




    At least you can take solace in the fact that Tensei Pro Orange is a pretty unique shaft, so assuming the fitter was good, you don't have too many options in the tip stiff, very low spin, counterbalanced realm. If you fit into Pro Orange, there's really not much out there like it. You'd probably like the Rogue 130 White, but really those are the only two really low spin, counterbalanced shafts with some good feel to them. Assuming your numbers were good, I'm sure you are in good shape there.




    After I hit my combo, he mentioned that our options were limited.



    Does the Rogue white give a little more feedback than the PO? I'm alright with my numbers. 117 ss, 175 bs, spin hovering right at 2000, peak height 110. Would prefer a little more of a feeling of a kick.



    I was hoping to walk away with something new and exciting. I'm guessing he didn't have the new Rogues available as he didn't even mention them.





    Edit: I suppose going down in weight would soften the profile a bit wouldn't it? The 60TX would feel a touch softer than the 70TX if they follow suit with shafts from years past.



    Just out of curiosity, of a guy were to purchase from you guys, does it include a tip install? Also, if I sent you my trackman data from yesterday would a weight and tipping recommendation be included? Your price isn't too much more than I was willing to spend yesterday.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • stk123stk123 Members Posts: 446 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

    radiman wrote:

    Go_Time wrote:

    radiman wrote:

    Rosco1216 wrote:


    Truth be told I didn't get along with the PO so the counterbalance worries me a little as that's the only cb shaft I've tried recently.




    What types of problems were you seeing with it? I am going in for a driver fitting tomorrow and have a PO that I haven't hit outdoors before. On a sim and on general practice swings, it feels very easy to swing very fast. But, I don't know if it will cause a major change in my release. I told the fitter that I plan on keeping the head, but am an open book for shafts. If I walk out of there with my existing setup, that is just fine by me. I just want to go into the year with the best combo for my swing.




    Did you add weight to the head to counter the heavier handle? If you don't, it'll feel fast for sure.




    Initially, I had an Epic head with two sliding weights. But, I think it was too much weight since it plays at around 45.25". It swung alright, but the static weight felt pretty heavy. Still felt like it was easier to swing fast vs what I have had in the past. With the Epic Flash SZ, it feels alright. I taped a nickel to the bottom of it though to add a few grams back. I have a 7 gram front weight coming in to make it a more solid solution. Otherwise, in the process of this fitting, if they need to add some hotmelt in it to add weight, I wouldn't argue with them to mute the sound a bit.




    Ok, so my Epic Flash SZ w/PO swing weight is D2 as is at 45.25". It have me the lowest spin numbers out of anything I tried averaging about 1900 and change. AOA was between +2-4. Peak height was about 105 feet or so. Seemed lower than what I'd typically play, but the fitter said it was ideal. Ball speed was averaged at 175 with the max being 178.



    Seems to be about as good as it can get for me. The only complaint I have is that as the session went on and I got into the 30's and 40's of drives hit, I really started to wear down and it got really tough to hit. Kind of lost the feel of the club head and my slight draw turned into a bit of a push. Setting speed speed at the end to around 114. I may just add some weight to the head to get the swing weight up a few points.



    I have two trains of thought. It is the winter yet and I know my swing will progress after the season starts. I typically pick up a little more speed once I'm in golf form. So, it may be a non issue.



    Second, I could try to find something that performs similarly but is a bit more manageable. But, I didn't find it there. Everything else launched higher and spun more. Was really hoping the TZ5 would have worked out as it had the feel I liked. Just launched and spun a bit too much. I don't know if tipping a shaft like that would bring the launch down and keep the feel the same. Kiyoshi Black was the closest contender. But, it was the last shaft I hit and I was just out of gas.




    Was there a typo somewhere in your post? 175-178 ball speeds at 114 mph swing speed doesn't add up. You should be at 120 mph to reach those ball speeds.



    That said, I just recently got an Epic Flash SZ and put my old GP-6x shaft into it. It is a cannon, and very accurate so far (honeymoon phase?).



    Anyway, how would the Tour AD GP shaft fit into this "big bad low spin" shaft category? I am always looking for lower spin, but not sure if it is worth upgrading from my GP-6x shaft. Anybody know if for example a Pro Orange shaft would be much lower spin than GP? I actually have a PXG 0811x driver coming in with a PO 6x shaft (tipped 0.5"), but it won't be apples to apples.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,680 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2019 9:35am #1535
    stk123 wrote:






    Was there a typo somewhere in your post? 175-178 ball speeds at 114 mph swing speed doesn't add up. You should be at 120 mph to reach those ball speeds.



    That said, I just recently got an Epic Flash SZ and put my old GP-6x shaft into it. It is a cannon, and very accurate so far (honeymoon phase?).



    Anyway, how would the Tour AD GP shaft fit into this "big bad low spin" shaft category? I am always looking for lower spin, but not sure if it is worth upgrading from my GP-6x shaft. Anybody know if for example a Pro Orange shaft would be much lower spin than GP? I actually have a PXG 0811x driver coming in with a PO 6x shaft (tipped 0.5"), but it won't be apples to apples.




    As the fitting wore on, swing speed dropped. Pro Orange was the first out of the gate. The low with it was 115/171 and the high was 120/178. It averaged 117/175 with a 1.49 smash.



    At the end of the fitting, my back was killing me from the excessive swings and 4 hours in the car leading up to it. My swing speed at that point hovered around 114 when I was hitting the Kiyoshi Black, which was the closest in distance and dispersion. But, at that point, I don't think my swing was good enough to make any real comparisons, which was unfortunate. My right side miss had crept in as I began to struggle with my timing. Swinging all out that many times in a row is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Minnesota Winters and father time will do that to a guy I suppose.



    Looking at my post, looks like auto correct jumbled up a bunch of words in that sentence. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    edited Mar 9, 2019 1:33pm #1536
    radiman wrote:








    After I hit my combo, he mentioned that our options were limited.



    Does the Rogue white give a little more feedback than the PO? I'm alright with my numbers. 117 ss, 175 bs, spin hovering right at 2000, peak height 110. Would prefer a little more of a feeling of a kick.



    I was hoping to walk away with something new and exciting. I'm guessing he didn't have the new Rogues available as he didn't even mention them.





    Edit: I suppose going down in weight would soften the profile a bit wouldn't it? The 60TX would feel a touch softer than the 70TX if they follow suit with shafts from years past.



    Just out of curiosity, of a guy were to purchase from you guys, does it include a tip install? Also, if I sent you my trackman data from yesterday would a weight and tipping recommendation be included? Your price isn't too much more than I was willing to spend yesterday.




    Rogue white is for sure more responsive feeling than pro orange, yes. And no, the Rogue White is Tour only and we are the only ones who have it aside from maybe a single issued or lifted piece here and there.



    Shoot me a DM and we can go over everything if you like. I'll want to see all your data, swing videos if you have them and speak with you about past set ups and some other things. I will go over everything with you and explain WHY I want to go a certain direction and provide you with all the build specs down to face angle, tipping, etc.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    stk123 wrote:






    Was there a typo somewhere in your post? 175-178 ball speeds at 114 mph swing speed doesn't add up. You should be at 120 mph to reach those ball speeds.



    That said, I just recently got an Epic Flash SZ and put my old GP-6x shaft into it. It is a cannon, and very accurate so far (honeymoon phase?).



    Anyway, how would the Tour AD GP shaft fit into this "big bad low spin" shaft category? I am always looking for lower spin, but not sure if it is worth upgrading from my GP-6x shaft. Anybody know if for example a Pro Orange shaft would be much lower spin than GP? I actually have a PXG 0811x driver coming in with a PO 6x shaft (tipped 0.5"), but it won't be apples to apples.




    If your launch numbers are right on where you want them, don't change anything. Saying that, GP is a high launch, mid spin shaft. Pro Orange is much lower spinning.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,680 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:






    Rogue white is for sure more responsive feeling than pro orange, yes. And no, the Rogue White is Tour only and we are the only ones who have it aside from maybe a single issued or lifted piece here and there.



    Shoot me a DM and we can go over everything if you like. I'll want to see all your data, swing videos if you have them and speak with you about past set ups and some other things. I will go over everything with you and explain WHY I want to go a certain direction and provide you with all the build specs down to face angle, tipping, etc.




    Thanks. After I posted the question, I saw the post on the green grass evaluations sub forum detailing the process.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

    TollBros wrote:






    Rogue white is for sure more responsive feeling than pro orange, yes. And no, the Rogue White is Tour only and we are the only ones who have it aside from maybe a single issued or lifted piece here and there.



    Shoot me a DM and we can go over everything if you like. I'll want to see all your data, swing videos if you have them and speak with you about past set ups and some other things. I will go over everything with you and explain WHY I want to go a certain direction and provide you with all the build specs down to face angle, tipping, etc.




    Thanks. After I posted the question, I saw the post on the green grass evaluations sub forum detailing the process.




    I would need to know all details. The entire Club set up, all the data you received, swing videos, and I would like to discuss quite a few things with you as well to make sure that we get this correct. Who knows what you have might be perfect, and if it is I will tell you that as well.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • PompsPomps Members Posts: 856 ✭✭

    This may be somewhat outside the scope of this thread but I figure those on here would know better than any. Yes I know there are various models, profiles, weights, etc. of both the Diamana line and Kuro Kage line, but is there a key conceptual difference on the two? What was the reason for the KK line rather just additional different models under the Diamana line?

    TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2 9.8* - Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX 44.5" (D5)
    TaylorMade M3 3 wood 15* - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX 43" (D6)
    TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
    Titleist 915HD 20.5* - Project X Hzrdus Black 85g 6.0 (D4)
    Mizuno M18 4-7 SC, 8-p MB DG Tour Issue S400 1.5* Flat (D3)
    Vokey SM6 51* (D5; 2.5* flat); Vokey TVD V-Grind 55* (D5; 2.5* flat) & Vokey TVD M-Grind 59* (D5; 2* flat ) - DG Tour Issue s400
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini S 33.5"
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭

    @Pomps said:
    This may be somewhat outside the scope of this thread but I figure those on here would know better than any. Yes I know there are various models, profiles, weights, etc. of both the Diamana line and Kuro Kage line, but is there a key conceptual difference on the two? What was the reason for the KK line rather just additional different models under the Diamana line?

    Each line has their own feel dynamic and tweaks to the profile as well as technology unique to that line. For example Tini fibers in the Kuro line, Kevlar and boron in the Tensei pro line, etc.

    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • ohiohunter2ohiohunter2 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    Just finished reading through this awesome thread. Awesome work Tolls. Getting ready to place an order for a flash sub zero. I have access to most available shafts and wanted your guys opinion. Last two years have played with an Atmos black 6TX and a HZRDUS T1100 65 both at 44.5” and tipped an inch. Swing speed between 125-132 depending on weather and how I’m feeling. These two shafts have been very good to me as far as dispersion. T1100 I love the consistent left to right ball flight, but I don’t enjoy the feel. Atmos I can work both ways a little more, but still keeps me on the planet. Just curious if there are any similar profiles that I might be missing out on.

    Thanks Guys!

  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭

    @ohiohunter2 said:
    Just finished reading through this awesome thread. Awesome work Tolls. Getting ready to place an order for a flash sub zero. I have access to most available shafts and wanted your guys opinion. Last two years have played with an Atmos black 6TX and a HZRDUS T1100 65 both at 44.5” and tipped an inch. Swing speed between 125-132 depending on weather and how I’m feeling. These two shafts have been very good to me as far as dispersion. T1100 I love the consistent left to right ball flight, but I don’t enjoy the feel. Atmos I can work both ways a little more, but still keeps me on the planet. Just curious if there are any similar profiles that I might be missing out on.

    Thanks Guys!

    Sounds like you might like Rogue White 130 or even Rogue Silver 130.

    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 7:50am #1544

    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭

    @330_yard_drives a lower spin head like the M5

    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭

    @300_yard_drives said:
    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

    i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,186 ✭✭

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:
    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

    i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

    +2 or so

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭

    @300_yard_drives said:

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:
    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

    i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

    +2 or so

    when you say too much spin -- how much are we talking about? what's your BS? SS? smash?

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 3:15pm #1549

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:
    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

    i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

    +2 or so

    when you say too much spin -- how much are we talking about? what's your BS? SS? smash?

    I’m usually around 2600-2800 with slightly steep aod. 121/180 speeds stock swing. Pretty ideal for accuracy and playability in nicer fairways but in soft mushy fairways not good at all. I want the ball falling out of the air and tumbling. I’d give up distance to have it lower spin and launch without feeling like I’m hitting punch shots. Actual loft on my ping is 7.8*. Maybe I need to game a LD head again like when I was an amateur.

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭

    @300_yard_drives said:

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:
    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

    i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

    +2 or so

    when you say too much spin -- how much are we talking about? what's your BS? SS? smash?

    I’m usually around 2600-2800 with slightly steep aod. 121/180 speeds stock swing. I want the ball falling out of the air and tumbling. I’d give up distance to have it lower spin and launch without feeling like I’m hitting punch shots. Actual loft on my ping is 7.8*. Maybe I need to game a LD head again like when I was an amateur.

    at some point you gotta chalk it up to the fact that the fairways just won't release for you -- i live in Northern NJ and i could have the lowest spinning setup ever and it's still gonna plug or go no where once it hits the ground.

    your spin isn't terribly high - but i'd bet it might have to do with face in relation to path that is causing it to spin up a bit. to be going at it that hard with a positive AoA, your lower spinning LST and tipped T1100...i would've expected low 2k's. anything lower than that and it's basically knuckleballs anyway.

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,186 ✭✭

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:

    @gioguy21 said:

    @300_yard_drives said:
    I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

    i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

    +2 or so

    when you say too much spin -- how much are we talking about? what's your BS? SS? smash?

    I’m usually around 2600-2800 with slightly steep aod. 121/180 speeds stock swing. I want the ball falling out of the air and tumbling. I’d give up distance to have it lower spin and launch without feeling like I’m hitting punch shots. Actual loft on my ping is 7.8*. Maybe I need to game a LD head again like when I was an amateur.

    at some point you gotta chalk it up to the fact that the fairways just won't release for you -- i live in Northern NJ and i could have the lowest spinning setup ever and it's still gonna plug or go no where once it hits the ground.

    your spin isn't terribly high - but i'd bet it might have to do with face in relation to path that is causing it to spin up a bit. to be going at it that hard with a positive AoA, your lower spinning LST and tipped T1100...i would've expected low 2k's. anything lower than that and it's basically knuckleballs anyway.

    I guess I should just get a LD head to try. Thanks.

  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 959 ✭✭

    Well I picked up a Tensei Pro Orange 70TX tipped 3/4" and am beyond pumped to try it. Driver is a King LTD Pro 7.5F playing at 44.5". I may need to add some cotton balls to the head, I will see how it feels. SW @ D0/1 earlier today. Will compare to my KK DC 70TX tipped 1" both on the course and launch monitors.

    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon Z745 3i - KBS Tour 120s
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 4 - 9 irons - Stock Memphis M10

    46/10f SM7
    50/12f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,814 ✭✭

    Was so excited to try the Tensei Pro Orange 60s.

    However, results not so good. The shaft is a noodle and left all day.

    Do these typically play soft to flex? I only have 97-99 driver swing speed but do have aggressive downswing.

    Thoughts?

    PXG Gen2 XF 9* Tensei Pro White 60s
    PXG Gen1 17* hybrid EvenFlow Blue 85g 6.0
    PXG Gen1 19* hybrid Tensei CK Blue 80g S
    PXG Gen1 0311 5-AW Recoil Prototype 95 
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Cleveland CBX 58*
    Bettinardi Inovai 2.0
    WITB Link
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 959 ✭✭

    @johnnybogey said:
    Was so excited to try the Tensei Pro Orange 60s.

    However, results not so good. The shaft is a noodle and left all day.

    Do these typically play soft to flex? I only have 97-99 driver swing speed but do have aggressive downswing.

    Thoughts?

    Perhaps you need to add head weight. That seems to be the ticket with the PO.

    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon Z745 3i - KBS Tour 120s
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 4 - 9 irons - Stock Memphis M10

    46/10f SM7
    50/12f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • ihatecats18ihatecats18 Members Posts: 258 ✭✭

    I have a faster swing. 170+ ball speed on drives. I've tried a lot of drivers and x stiff shafts. My miss is a slight pull or an ugly fade that still goes 295. My question is I feel like i lose the feel of the middle to toe of the clubface even through impact. Could that be a torque issue or a need for weights in different parts of the clubhead?

    • Driver: M3 w xtorsion copper 70x
    • Wood: m3 w xtorsion copper 70x
    • Hybrid: Cobra F7 set to 20
    • Irons: Wilson F 100, 5-PW
    • Wedges: Titleist- GW 52 SM4 - SW 56 SM4.
    • Putter: Never Compromise Dinero 35"

    • Ball: TM TP5
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭

    @johnnybogey said:
    Was so excited to try the Tensei Pro Orange 60s.

    However, results not so good. The shaft is a noodle and left all day.

    Do these typically play soft to flex? I only have 97-99 driver swing speed but do have aggressive downswing.

    Thoughts?

    Even guys like David Toms and Zach Johnson play TX or X in the driver. It's more about spin control and accuracy. Don't be afraid to go up in flex, especially with a quick transition and solid load on the shaft.

    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • TryAgainPlsTryAgainPls Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

    Looking for a low launch low spin shaft that doesn't feel boardy. I love the feel of an x100 if that helps and I've had good success with the rogue silver 125 msi. The rogue didn't seem like it gave me the Ballspeed I want but the feel was there.

  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭

    @TryAgainPls said:
    Looking for a low launch low spin shaft that doesn't feel boardy. I love the feel of an x100 if that helps and I've had good success with the rogue silver 125 msi. The rogue didn't seem like it gave me the Ballspeed I want but the feel was there.

    A significant number of modern high-end shafts will provide you with the feel you are looking for. However without knowing anything about your swing previous combinations, we're seeing video of your swing irresponsible recommendation is impossible.

    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 959 ✭✭

    Got a chance to test the Pro Orange in my King LTD Pro Driver on Sunday. I'm playing it at 44.5" in the 70TX tipped 3/4". First off, the combo looks amazing, couldn't be happier. I think it also feels great. The description of it feeling 'linear' is perfect. I don't feel any distinct kick in the shaft, but it doesn't feel boardy either. Compared to my KK DC 70TX tipped 1", there is less kick and I think it feels a little more stable in the tip. It is still a smooth feeling shaft, just to me feels a bit more stable through the swing. First impressions on swinging it was that it felt slightly light in the head, but still good. Ended up SW between D0-D1. Took it out on the course and hit 2/4 fairways with it, with both of those swings being pretty good. The other 2 swings not so much.

    I concluded that the swing weight was a bit light, so I unscrewed the Spaceport and put 5 square cotton face pads inside. I need to have the SW measured again, but I was able to tell the difference right away in the head weight. Took it to the range last night and was hitting straight bombs for the most part. Out of 10-15 swings I had maybe 2 bad swings, all the others were straight-to-slight draw/fade bombs. Very excited to take it back on the course with the new setup. I will have it SW soon to see how much affect those cotton squares made. But so far, it feels much better throughout the swing.

    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon Z745 3i - KBS Tour 120s
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 4 - 9 irons - Stock Memphis M10

    46/10f SM7
    50/12f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • JaketheJackJaketheJack Members Posts: 387 ✭✭

    Dumb question. What does it mean when you ‘tip’ a driver?

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 2:06pm #1561

    @JaketheJack said:
    Dumb question. What does it mean when you ‘tip’ a driver?

    before installing a shaft -- as in, new, never cut; you will cut a portion of the TIP off the shaft to either lessen spin, or stiffen the profile (these are effects that CAN happen..not WILL happen; depending on shaft).

    the only other time you would tip a shaft, is per club recommendations from the shaft OEM. most shafts are tip-cut for fairway shaft installations.

    if you don't tip a shaft, the only cut you'll make is on the butt end, for length.

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Sign In or Register to comment.