Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review - Continuous On Going Information and Data Updates

Comments

• TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4967WRX Points: 292Sponsors Posts: 4,967 Titanium Tees
    radiman wrote:

After I hit my combo, he mentioned that our options were limited.

Does the Rogue white give a little more feedback than the PO? I'm alright with my numbers. 117 ss, 175 bs, spin hovering right at 2000, peak height 110. Would prefer a little more of a feeling of a kick.

I was hoping to walk away with something new and exciting. I'm guessing he didn't have the new Rogues available as he didn't even mention them.

Edit: I suppose going down in weight would soften the profile a bit wouldn't it? The 60TX would feel a touch softer than the 70TX if they follow suit with shafts from years past.

Just out of curiosity, of a guy were to purchase from you guys, does it include a tip install? Also, if I sent you my trackman data from yesterday would a weight and tipping recommendation be included? Your price isn't too much more than I was willing to spend yesterday.

Rogue white is for sure more responsive feeling than pro orange, yes. And no, the Rogue White is Tour only and we are the only ones who have it aside from maybe a single issued or lifted piece here and there.

Shoot me a DM and we can go over everything if you like. I'll want to see all your data, swing videos if you have them and speak with you about past set ups and some other things. I will go over everything with you and explain WHY I want to go a certain direction and provide you with all the build specs down to face angle, tipping, etc.
    Posted:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4967WRX Points: 292Sponsors Posts: 4,967 Titanium Tees
    stk123 wrote:

Was there a typo somewhere in your post? 175-178 ball speeds at 114 mph swing speed doesn't add up. You should be at 120 mph to reach those ball speeds.

That said, I just recently got an Epic Flash SZ and put my old GP-6x shaft into it. It is a cannon, and very accurate so far (honeymoon phase?).

Anyway, how would the Tour AD GP shaft fit into this "big bad low spin" shaft category? I am always looking for lower spin, but not sure if it is worth upgrading from my GP-6x shaft. Anybody know if for example a Pro Orange shaft would be much lower spin than GP? I actually have a PXG 0811x driver coming in with a PO 6x shaft (tipped 0.5"), but it won't be apples to apples.

If your launch numbers are right on where you want them, don't change anything. Saying that, GP is a high launch, mid spin shaft. Pro Orange is much lower spinning.
    Posted:

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • radimanradiman  4739WRX Points: 363Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 4,739 Titanium Tees
    TollBros wrote:

Rogue white is for sure more responsive feeling than pro orange, yes. And no, the Rogue White is Tour only and we are the only ones who have it aside from maybe a single issued or lifted piece here and there.

Shoot me a DM and we can go over everything if you like. I'll want to see all your data, swing videos if you have them and speak with you about past set ups and some other things. I will go over everything with you and explain WHY I want to go a certain direction and provide you with all the build specs down to face angle, tipping, etc.

Thanks. After I posted the question, I saw the post on the green grass evaluations sub forum detailing the process.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
    radiman wrote:

TollBros wrote:

Thanks. After I posted the question, I saw the post on the green grass evaluations sub forum detailing the process.

I would need to know all details. The entire Club set up, all the data you received, swing videos, and I would like to discuss quite a few things with you as well to make sure that we get this correct. Who knows what you have might be perfect, and if it is I will tell you that as well.
    Posted:

• PompsPomps  975WRX Points: 80Handicap: 2.9Members Posts: 975 Golden Tee

This may be somewhat outside the scope of this thread but I figure those on here would know better than any. Yes I know there are various models, profiles, weights, etc. of both the Diamana line and Kuro Kage line, but is there a key conceptual difference on the two? What was the reason for the KK line rather just additional different models under the Diamana line?

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* - Testing: Ventus Black 6x, Tensei AV Blue 65TX, Kuro Kage DC XT 70TX
    TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2 9.1* - Tensei AV Blue 75TX (D4)
    Titleist 915f 15*(14.25*) - Diamana Ltd D+ 80x 43" (D4)
    Titleist 816 H1 17*(16*) - Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8x 41" (D4)
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* (19.75*) - Diamana D+ 90s 40.5" (D4)
    TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
    Srixon z785 4-9 - Nippon Modus 125x; 2* flat 
    Srixon z965 PW - Nippon Modus 125s 2* flat
    Vokey SM6 F-Grind 51* (D5; 2* flat); Vokey SM7 S-Grind 56* (D5; 2* flat) & TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* (D7; 2* flat) - DG Tour Issue s400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Diamond 33.5"

On -, @Pomps said:

This may be somewhat outside the scope of this thread but I figure those on here would know better than any. Yes I know there are various models, profiles, weights, etc. of both the Diamana line and Kuro Kage line, but is there a key conceptual difference on the two? What was the reason for the KK line rather just additional different models under the Diamana line?

Each line has their own feel dynamic and tweaks to the profile as well as technology unique to that line. For example Tini fibers in the Kuro line, Kevlar and boron in the Tensei pro line, etc.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ohiohunter2ohiohunter2  55WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 55 Bunkers

Just finished reading through this awesome thread. Awesome work Tolls. Getting ready to place an order for a flash sub zero. I have access to most available shafts and wanted your guys opinion. Last two years have played with an Atmos black 6TX and a HZRDUS T1100 65 both at 44.5” and tipped an inch. Swing speed between 125-132 depending on weather and how I’m feeling. These two shafts have been very good to me as far as dispersion. T1100 I love the consistent left to right ball flight, but I don’t enjoy the feel. Atmos I can work both ways a little more, but still keeps me on the planet. Just curious if there are any similar profiles that I might be missing out on.

Thanks Guys!

Posted:

On -, @ohiohunter2 said:

Just finished reading through this awesome thread. Awesome work Tolls. Getting ready to place an order for a flash sub zero. I have access to most available shafts and wanted your guys opinion. Last two years have played with an Atmos black 6TX and a HZRDUS T1100 65 both at 44.5” and tipped an inch. Swing speed between 125-132 depending on weather and how I’m feeling. These two shafts have been very good to me as far as dispersion. T1100 I love the consistent left to right ball flight, but I don’t enjoy the feel. Atmos I can work both ways a little more, but still keeps me on the planet. Just curious if there are any similar profiles that I might be missing out on.

Thanks Guys!

Sounds like you might like Rogue White 130 or even Rogue Silver 130.

Posted:

• 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives  1254WRX Points: 162Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,254 Platinum Tees

I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

Posted:
  • manima1manima1 Chicago 756WRX Points: 125Handicap: 9.8Members Posts: 756 Golden Tee

On -, @330_yard_drives a lower spin head like the M5
    Posted:
    M5 9.0->7.5 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx 
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    TM Hi-Toe 60.12ATV - S400 Black
    TM Spider X - Navy
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8088WRX Points: 1,342Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,088 Titanium Tees

On -, @300_yard_drives said:

I currently play a ping g400lst with hotmelt to lower spin and a t1100 75g 6.5 tipped 1.5” but it still spins too much for the conditions I am playing in. I need absolutely lowest possible launch and spin because I play in China and it is a guaranteed mud ball if I don’t punch a driver. What do you recommend?

i hate to ask but...what's your AoA?

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Advertisement
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives  1254WRX Points: 162Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,254 Platinum Tees

On -, @gioguy21 said:

+2 or so

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8088WRX Points: 1,342Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,088 Titanium Tees

On -, @gioguy21 said:

+2 or so

when you say too much spin -- how much are we talking about? what's your BS? SS? smash?

Posted:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

+2 or so

when you say too much spin -- how much are we talking about? what's your BS? SS? smash?

I’m usually around 2600-2800 with slightly steep aod. 121/180 speeds stock swing. Pretty ideal for accuracy and playability in nicer fairways but in soft mushy fairways not good at all. I want the ball falling out of the air and tumbling. I’d give up distance to have it lower spin and launch without feeling like I’m hitting punch shots. Actual loft on my ping is 7.8*. Maybe I need to game a LD head again like when I was an amateur.

Posted:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

+2 or so

I’m usually around 2600-2800 with slightly steep aod. 121/180 speeds stock swing. I want the ball falling out of the air and tumbling. I’d give up distance to have it lower spin and launch without feeling like I’m hitting punch shots. Actual loft on my ping is 7.8*. Maybe I need to game a LD head again like when I was an amateur.

at some point you gotta chalk it up to the fact that the fairways just won't release for you -- i live in Northern NJ and i could have the lowest spinning setup ever and it's still gonna plug or go no where once it hits the ground.

your spin isn't terribly high - but i'd bet it might have to do with face in relation to path that is causing it to spin up a bit. to be going at it that hard with a positive AoA, your lower spinning LST and tipped T1100...i would've expected low 2k's. anything lower than that and it's basically knuckleballs anyway.

Posted:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

+2 or so

I’m usually around 2600-2800 with slightly steep aod. 121/180 speeds stock swing. I want the ball falling out of the air and tumbling. I’d give up distance to have it lower spin and launch without feeling like I’m hitting punch shots. Actual loft on my ping is 7.8*. Maybe I need to game a LD head again like when I was an amateur.

at some point you gotta chalk it up to the fact that the fairways just won't release for you -- i live in Northern NJ and i could have the lowest spinning setup ever and it's still gonna plug or go no where once it hits the ground.

your spin isn't terribly high - but i'd bet it might have to do with face in relation to path that is causing it to spin up a bit. to be going at it that hard with a positive AoA, your lower spinning LST and tipped T1100...i would've expected low 2k's. anything lower than that and it's basically knuckleballs anyway.

I guess I should just get a LD head to try. Thanks.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 300_Straight300_Straight  996WRX Points: 74Handicap: 9.5Members Posts: 996 Golden Tee

Well I picked up a Tensei Pro Orange 70TX tipped 3/4" and am beyond pumped to try it. Driver is a King LTD Pro 7.5F playing at 44.5". I may need to add some cotton balls to the head, I will see how it feels. SW @ D0/1 earlier today. Will compare to my KK DC 70TX tipped 1" both on the course and launch monitors.

Posted:
    King LTD Pro 7.5* / Kuro Kage DC XT 60TX Tipped 1.25" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey  1909WRX Points: 148Members Posts: 1,909 Platinum Tees

Was so excited to try the Tensei Pro Orange 60s.

However, results not so good. The shaft is a noodle and left all day.

Do these typically play soft to flex? I only have 97-99 driver swing speed but do have aggressive downswing.

Thoughts?

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Pro White 
    Ping G410 17* hybrid 
    Ping G10 21* hybrid 
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-AW Recoil 95 Prototype
    TM Hi Toe 54*
    TM Hi Toe 58*
    Bettinardi BB54
    WITB Link
  • 300_Straight300_Straight  996WRX Points: 74Handicap: 9.5Members Posts: 996 Golden Tee

On -, @johnnybogey said:

Do these typically play soft to flex? I only have 97-99 driver swing speed but do have aggressive downswing.

Thoughts?

Perhaps you need to add head weight. That seems to be the ticket with the PO.

Posted:
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • ihatecats18ihatecats18 Minnesota 293WRX Points: 67Handicap: 1.0Members Posts: 293 Greens

I have a faster swing. 170+ ball speed on drives. I've tried a lot of drivers and x stiff shafts. My miss is a slight pull or an ugly fade that still goes 295. My question is I feel like i lose the feel of the middle to toe of the clubface even through impact. Could that be a torque issue or a need for weights in different parts of the clubhead?

Posted:
    • Driver: TBD
    • Wood: m3 w xtorsion copper 70x
    • Hybrid: Adams XTD 4i
    • Irons: Wilson F 100, 5-PW
    • Wedges: Titleist- GW 52 SM4 - Cleveland Xlow 58
    • Putter:  Versa 2 ball35"

• Ball:  Random Urethane

On -, @johnnybogey said:

Thoughts?

Even guys like David Toms and Zach Johnson play TX or X in the driver. It's more about spin control and accuracy. Don't be afraid to go up in flex, especially with a quick transition and solid load on the shaft.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TryAgainPlsTryAgainPls  44WRX Points: 23Members Posts: 44 Bunkers

Looking for a low launch low spin shaft that doesn't feel boardy. I love the feel of an x100 if that helps and I've had good success with the rogue silver 125 msi. The rogue didn't seem like it gave me the Ballspeed I want but the feel was there.

Posted:

On -, @TryAgainPls said:

Looking for a low launch low spin shaft that doesn't feel boardy. I love the feel of an x100 if that helps and I've had good success with the rogue silver 125 msi. The rogue didn't seem like it gave me the Ballspeed I want but the feel was there.

A significant number of modern high-end shafts will provide you with the feel you are looking for. However without knowing anything about your swing previous combinations, we're seeing video of your swing irresponsible recommendation is impossible.

Posted:

Got a chance to test the Pro Orange in my King LTD Pro Driver on Sunday. I'm playing it at 44.5" in the 70TX tipped 3/4". First off, the combo looks amazing, couldn't be happier. I think it also feels great. The description of it feeling 'linear' is perfect. I don't feel any distinct kick in the shaft, but it doesn't feel boardy either. Compared to my KK DC 70TX tipped 1", there is less kick and I think it feels a little more stable in the tip. It is still a smooth feeling shaft, just to me feels a bit more stable through the swing. First impressions on swinging it was that it felt slightly light in the head, but still good. Ended up SW between D0-D1. Took it out on the course and hit 2/4 fairways with it, with both of those swings being pretty good. The other 2 swings not so much.

I concluded that the swing weight was a bit light, so I unscrewed the Spaceport and put 5 square cotton face pads inside. I need to have the SW measured again, but I was able to tell the difference right away in the head weight. Took it to the range last night and was hitting straight bombs for the most part. Out of 10-15 swings I had maybe 2 bad swings, all the others were straight-to-slight draw/fade bombs. Very excited to take it back on the course with the new setup. I will have it SW soon to see how much affect those cotton squares made. But so far, it feels much better throughout the swing.

Posted:
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet
  • JaketheJackJaketheJack  396WRX Points: 44Handicap: 5Members Posts: 396 Greens

Dumb question. What does it mean when you ‘tip’ a driver?

Posted:

On -, @JaketheJack said:

before installing a shaft -- as in, new, never cut; you will cut a portion of the TIP off the shaft to either lessen spin, or stiffen the profile (these are effects that CAN happen..not WILL happen; depending on shaft).

the only other time you would tip a shaft, is per club recommendations from the shaft OEM. most shafts are tip-cut for fairway shaft installations.

if you don't tip a shaft, the only cut you'll make is on the butt end, for length.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JaketheJackJaketheJack  396WRX Points: 44Handicap: 5Members Posts: 396 Greens

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @JaketheJack said:

before installing a shaft -- as in, new, never cut; you will cut a portion of the TIP off the shaft to either lessen spin, or stiffen the profile (these are effects that CAN happen..not WILL happen; depending on shaft).

the only other time you would tip a shaft, is per club recommendations from the shaft OEM. most shafts are tip-cut for fairway shaft installations.

if you don't tip a shaft, the only cut you'll make is on the butt end, for length.

What would be the optimal tip if you want lower spin and launch? Sorry if I didn’t say that right but this intrigues me as I’ve always been a long hitter but it goes super high and play a cut. So I get almost zero rollout.

Posted:

On -, @JaketheJack said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @JaketheJack said:

What would be the optimal tip if you want lower spin and launch? Sorry if I didn’t say that right but this intrigues me as I’ve always been a long hitter but it goes super high and play a cut. So I get almost zero rollout.

it's completely player and shaft dependent - and in the realm of expensive shafts, it can be hard to experiment with. best thing you can honestly do is get fit.

once you're fit, you can discuss (if you have a decent/great fitter) the aspect of shaft tipping -- and what it might do for your miss with a given shaft. you can see as much as 2-300rpms difference in spin by tipping, however you're more likely to see a greater difference from a correct shaft fitting.

Posted:

• mulliganman30mulliganman30  1115WRX Points: 126Members Posts: 1,115 Platinum Tees

Which shaft is generally lower spinning: Hzrdus Yellow or Copperhead TX for most players?

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @mulliganman30 said:

Which shaft is generally lower spinning: Hzrdus Yellow or Copperhead TX for most players?

Copperhead TX. Just make sure it's tipped properly. If you leave the tip too soft it can hit higher than you might like.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.