Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review - Continuous On Going Information and Data Updates

Comments

• J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,263 ✭✭
    edited Jun 6, 2017 #152

That black mamba is sweet and rather intriguing! Is it worth giving up my Dual Core for? I'm pretty happy with it but this is the wrx community haha.

I've got a Dual Core 70 TX coming as well... Replacing the Rogue Silver 110....any direct comparisons by chance?

The DC TX = Porsche, Rogue silver 110 = Hyundai Accent.
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

That black mamba is sweet and rather intriguing! Is it worth giving up my Dual Core for? I'm pretty happy with it but this is the wrx community haha.

I've got a Dual Core 70 TX coming as well... Replacing the Rogue Silver 110....any direct comparisons by chance?

The DC TX = Porsche, Rogue silver 110 = Hyundai Accent.

Ah J, great analogy LOL. I was moreso inquiring on subjective comparison information LOL
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited Jun 6, 2017 #154
    Picked up a used Tensei Pro White that was tipped 1 1/2" and using it in a 3 wood at 43 7/8"(usually play my 3 wood at 44"), it is phenomenal! Ordered a new Pro Orange 70TX for the driver tipped it 1" and it's significantly softer in the butt end. Like two entirely different shafts not from the same family. It's not unplayable but for a slight overlength build at 46 1/4" it's no where near the point and shoot of the White. Went with it due to the slight counterbalance. I'll give a few more rounds but it's looking like it will be going to the BST.

A little surprised by the Pro White being like a Dynamic Gold comments. I do not care for DG's and the Pro Orange feels more like a DG to me. A bit too flexy under the hands.

Does the Dual Core TX have a more butt stiff profile?
  • RonSwansonRonSwanson Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it. ClubWRX Posts: 1,626 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 6, 2017 #155
    rybo wrote:

Picked up a used Tensei Pro White that was tipped 1 1/2" and using it in a 3 wood at 43 7/8"(usually play my 3 wood at 44"), it is phenomenal! Ordered a new Pro Orange 70TX for the driver tipped it 1" and it's significantly softer in the butt end. Like two entirely different shafts not from the same family. It's not unplayable but for a slight overlength build at 46 1/4" it's no where near the point and shoot of the White. Went with it due to the slight counterbalance. I'll give a few more rounds but it's looking like it will be going to the BST.

A little surprised by the Pro White being like a Dynamic Gold comments. I do not care for DG's and the Pro Orange feels more like a DG to me. A bit too flexy under the hands.

Can you even get a 46 1/4" playing length after tipping 1"? I guess that could be the max if there is no butt trim, the adapter/install adds an inch and the butt end of the grip adds 1/4". But man, that must feel like swinging a finishing poll. Not sure I would classify that as a slight overlength build...

To the other part of your post, the DC TX felt much more stable than the Pro Orange for me. I would agree the Pro Orange feels more like a DG than the White does.
  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited Jun 6, 2017 #156
    RonSwanson wrote:

rybo wrote:

Can you even get a 46 1/4" playing length after tipping 1"? I guess that could be the max if there is not butt trim, the adapter/install adds an inch and the butt end of the grip adds 1/4". But man, that must feel like swinging a finishing poll. Not sure I would classify that as a slight overlength build...

To the other part of your post, the DC TX felt much more stable than the Pro Orange for me. I would agree the Pro Orange feels more like a DG than the White does.

Still had to trim the butt 5/8". I'm 6' 4" and 46 1/4" is probably still a little short for my height. It's only an 1" longer then standard for people who average 5' 9"! Look at my profile pic, Gary Williams is 5' 9" and even standing on a box is still not as tall as 6' 4" Rymer! Rory plays 45 1/2" and is a bit vertically challenged.

Duffner just won two days ago and plays 46".
  • RonSwansonRonSwanson Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it. ClubWRX Posts: 1,626 ClubWRX
    rybo wrote:

Still had to trim the butt 5/8". I'm 6' 4" and 46 1/4" is probably still a little short for my height. It's only an 1" longer then standard for people who average 5' 9"! Look at my profile pic, Gary Williams is 5' 9" and even standing on a box is still not as tall as 6' 4" Rymer! Rory plays 45 1/2" and is a bit vertically challenged.

I didn't mean that to come off as a dig. Everyone should play whatever works best for them. I'm 6' 2" and play my driver at either 45" or 44 3/4".

I honestly didn't know if 46 1/4" was possible as I thought the raw shafts were 46", so tipping 1" would leave you at 45" raw. I wasn't sure if you could get to 46 1/4" playing length without some sort of extension, but I could obviously be wrong on any of these assumptions.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,182 ✭✭
    RonSwanson wrote:

rybo wrote:

I didn't mean that to come off as a dig. Everyone should play whatever works best for them. I'm 6' 2" and play my driver at either 45" or 44 3/4".

I honestly didn't know if 46 1/4" was possible as I thought the raw shafts were 46", so tipping 1" would leave you at 45" raw. I wasn't sure if you could get to 46 1/4" playing length without some sort of extension, but I could obviously be wrong on any of these assumptions.

Virtually all drivers have some distance from the ground to the bottom of the bore. A bore-thru head is usually 0". Modern 460cc drivers vary, but I've seen 2" or more in some cases.
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Posts: 228 ✭✭
    I know it depends on the swing, but which shaft is lower launch and spin, pro orange or D.C. Xt?
    Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto
  • What's your take on that Tensei Pro Orange V3, vs and Oban Kiyoshi (either White or Tour Limited) for feel and performance for a 120mph SS? It seems like the higher the SS the better performance with it.
  • NRJyzr wrote:

RonSwanson wrote:

rybo wrote:

Virtually all drivers have some distance from the ground to the bottom of the bore. A bore-thru head is usually 0". Modern 460cc drivers vary, but I've seen 2" or more in some cases.

I know most TM drivers are 1.5'' added from shaft length to playing length.
    tarmactrr wrote:

NRJyzr wrote:

RonSwanson wrote:

rybo wrote:

I know most TM drivers are 1.5'' added from shaft length to playing length.

The 2017 M1 440 and 2017 M2 both add exactly 1" on the T1100 and the KK DC TX with 1.5* tour tip I have. However I have found the new TM tips add an additional 1/4". So, at least for TM, length will depend on the variety of tip you use.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,843 ✭✭
    kmak wrote:

Do you think you might get the results posted for us mere mortals (100 mph) before the season is over? image/rockon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rockon:' />

I'll have those up tonight. I've been stuck on the test range for the last 2 days so I've had zero computer time.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

It's a very similar shaft but maybe a little more crisp without being harsh. I certainly won't say it's a better shaft than Dual Core XT, but if you like the dcxt you'll like the Black Mamba.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
    rybo wrote:

Yes dual core XT is stiffer in the butt.

I know it depends on the swing, but which shaft is lower launch and spin, pro orange or D.C. Xt?

The spin is going to be very similar but all things being equal, Kuro Kàge Dual Core XT will launch a little flatter.

• pitchinwedgepitchinwedge Members Posts: 1,551 ✭✭
    Toll, which KK shaft are you guys testing? The MRC website shows the Silver Dual-Core TiNi and the XT. I thought there was another Dual-Core shaft that's actually a proto in disguise? KKDC TX flex maybe (not listed on the website)? Assuming the 100mph guys aren't testing X-flex shafts so aren't they testing an entirely different KK shaft?
    917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
    917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
    816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
    716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
    716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
    Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
    Edel Deschutes

Photo WITB
  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 688 ✭✭

Toll, which KK shaft are you guys testing? The MRC website shows the Silver Dual-Core TiNi and the XT. I thought there was another Dual-Core shaft that's actually a proto in disguise? KKDC TX flex maybe (not listed on the website)? Assuming the 100mph guys aren't testing X-flex shafts so aren't they testing an entirely different KK shaft?

JT will confirm, but I've seen him explain it enough...

The KKDC shaft in TX flex is the updated Dual Core XT profile and is Tour-only. The Tx flex designation is the only visual cue that sets it apart from the standard dual core lineup. It is not listed on the MRC website - if you look, you will see there is no TX flex for the Dual Core shafts.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
    manima1 wrote:

The KKDC shaft in TX flex is the updated Dual Core XT profile and is Tour-only. The Tx flex designation is the only visual cue that sets it apart from the standard dual core lineup. It is not listed on the MRC website - if you look, you will see there is no TX flex for the Dual Core shafts.

That is correct.

tarmactrr wrote:

What's your take on that Tensei Pro Orange V3, vs and Oban Kiyoshi (either White or Tour Limited) for feel and performance for a 120mph SS? It seems like the higher the SS the better performance with it.

Kiyoshi white is also somewhat butt flexible which gives it a smoother feel than the black, but the difference is pro orange is extremely tip stiff with the MR70 tip, which is much like the T1100 fiber used in the Hzrdus of the same name. The Kevlar in the pro orange butt helps absorb the shock and keeps the vibration down, making the shaft feel smooth without the harshness that you expect from a tip that stiff. Basically the pro orange will spin less and feel smoother than the kiyoshi white with a similar type of profile.

• TollBros wrote:

tarmactrr wrote:

What's your take on that Tensei Pro Orange V3, vs and Oban Kiyoshi (either White or Tour Limited) for feel and performance for a 120mph SS? It seems like the higher the SS the better performance with it.

Kiyoshi white is also somewhat butt flexible which gives it a smoother feel than the black, but the difference is pro orange is extremely tip stiff with the MR70 tip, which is much like the T1100 fiber used in the Hzrdus of the same name. The Kevlar in the pro orange butt helps absorb the shock and keeps the vibration down, making the shaft feel smooth without the harshness that you expect from a tip that stiff. Basically the pro orange will spin less and feel smoother than the kiyoshi white with a similar type of profile.

Sounds like I should try one... although I currently spin the Oban White at around 2,000 rpm now... so don't need an even lower spinning shaft. Thanks for the reply image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • ruxpin23ruxpin23 Posts: 132 ✭✭
    manima1 wrote:

just to confirm, the KKDC will have the "TX" written on the shaft as the flex designation, but does it also have the "silver series" label on it as well?
    VPR Strike Driver, MRC Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    VPR Strike 3 Wood, MRC Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
    2011 VR Pro Combo 3-PW, DG AMT X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 58K 62M
    2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Nike RZN Black
    ruxpin23 wrote:

manima1 wrote:

just to confirm, the KKDC will have the "TX" written on the shaft as the flex designation, but does it also have the "silver series" label on it as well?

Yes.

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,175 ✭✭
    TollBros - thanks for all this information. Do you have any experience with the Tour AD GP? If so, is the GP similar to any of the shafts in this data set you've compiled?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    Here are some good pics of how the Mamba shafts pop visually in the Sun.

• HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Any updates on when the black mamba and copperhead will hit the market? Can't find one anywhere.
    Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto
  • TG_343TG_343 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    I can attest to the black looking amazing in person. I was able to snag a Tour Proto version of the black and it's sick.
    Cobra F8+ - 8.5 deg (heavy weight fwd) - w/ Aldila Black Mamba 60-TX - 45"

Adams XTD TI - 2 hybrid (16 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X

TaylorMade P790 - 3i (1 deg weak) - Matrix HM3 95g X

TaylorMade P790 - 5: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)

Adams MB2 - 6-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)

Titleist Vokey SM4: 51 F Grind - Dynamic Gold TI x-100

Callaway PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60, PM Grind 64 - Dynamic Gold TI s400

Scotty Cameron: Monterrey - 35.5in
  • hwu1hwu1 Members Posts: 38
    JT-

do you have data for yourself on the copperhead?

Any updates on when the black mamba and copperhead will hit the market? Can't find one anywhere.

Tour only.

hwu1 wrote:

JT-

do you have data for yourself on the copperhead?

I do have data with the M2 head, yes.

• tommaso05tommaso05 Posts: 242 ClubWRX
    I was pointed this way by another forum member as I'm interested in seeing/hearing about the test results for these shafts since 1 might be in my near future (and I gotta figure out which might be best). Just wanted to say thanks for going through the testing and compiling everything. I'll be using the info in this thread to make a final decision once that time comes.
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Taylormade M1 3W 15' - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 2.8 X
    King Cobra F6 3/4H 20.5' - Aldila Tour Blue 85H 2.3 X
    Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - DG Tour Issue S400
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7