Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review - Continuous On Going Information and Data Updates

Comments

• TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,843 ✭✭
    tommaso05 wrote:

I was pointed this way by another forum member as I'm interested in seeing/hearing about the test results for these shafts since 1 might be in my near future (and I gotta figure out which might be best). Just wanted to say thanks for going through the testing and compiling everything. I'll be using the info in this thread to make a final decision once that time comes.

Thank you. I am sorry it's taking so long but I feel like the kid in the exorcist with my head spinning around these days. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77
    Can someone explain to me the effects of a counterbalanced shaft? Will I need to add weight to the driver head to be able to feel it during the swing? Currently play the KK DCXT in my driver and KBS Tours in my irons. I gave the PO V2 a go, but think my transition is a little too aggressive. Thinking of trying the PO to see if I pick up a little ball speed.

Thanks for doing this Toll. The knowledge provided is outstanding and quite eye opening.
  • bervinbervin Members Posts: 801
    Can someone explain to me the effects of a counterbalanced shaft? Will I need to add weight to the driver head to be able to feel it during the swing? Currently play the KK DCXT in my driver and KBS Tours in my irons. I gave the PO V2 a go, but think my transition is a little too aggressive. Thinking of trying the PO to see if I pick up a little ball speed.

Thanks for doing this Toll. The knowledge provided is outstanding and quite eye opening.

Also, interested in an educated response to this. Putting a HZRDUS Black in my Ping G. How much weight will I need to add, if any? And is it that dramatic of a difference in SW?
    D: TaylorMade '17 M1 8* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 62g
    FW: TaylorMade M3 3HL 15.5* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g
    H: Ping Anser 20* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
    2i: TaylorMade M2 L.I.F.T. 16* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
    4i: TaylorMade '14 TP MC - DG X100 120
    5i - PW: TaylorMade ' 14 TP MB - DG X100 120
    GW: Callaway MD Forged Raw 52* - DG TI S400
    LW: Callaway MD PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V 120
    P: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
  • Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 845 ✭✭
    the effect of counterbalancing is pretty simple. The heads nowadays are so big and a counterbalanced shaft allows a player to play a heavier head which for most will give them more ball speed. Some I suppose like this feeling but its all personal preference. I personally would rather have a normally weighted club since its what I'm used to and not try to chase an extra few yards but then again if it gets you extra yards and you dont sacrifice any control than why not?
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    bervin wrote:

Also, interested in an educated response to this. Putting a HZRDUS Black in my Ping G. How much weight will I need to add, if any? And is it that dramatic of a difference in SW?

Hzrdus Black is not counter balanced. So all things being equal shaft weight wise, your not going to need to add weight to your head.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 845 ✭✭
    correct. hzrdus yellow is the counterbalanced version
  • bervinbervin Members Posts: 801
    noodle3872 wrote:
    bervin wrote:

Hzrdus Black is not counter balanced. So all things being equal shaft weight wise, your not going to need to add weight to your head.

Thanks for the help! I have a Yellow as well and knew it was counterbalanced so assumed the black was too. You know what they say about assuming...
    D: TaylorMade '17 M1 8* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 62g
    FW: TaylorMade M3 3HL 15.5* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g
    H: Ping Anser 20* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
    2i: TaylorMade M2 L.I.F.T. 16* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
    4i: TaylorMade '14 TP MC - DG X100 120
    5i - PW: TaylorMade ' 14 TP MB - DG X100 120
    GW: Callaway MD Forged Raw 52* - DG TI S400
    LW: Callaway MD PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V 120
    P: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
  • blev2blev2 Blev Posts: 447 ✭✭
    I made some adjustments with the pro orange and my m1 and have hit it real good the last couple times out. Looking forward to continued fine tuning.
  • markjincmarkjinc Banned Posts: 1,900
    Where can I get a Tensei Orange 70TX? The newer version preferred.
  • Shayan1121Shayan1121 Members Posts: 573 ✭✭
    Does it have to be a 70? I have a 60 TX V3 available.
    Link: http://www.golfwrx.c...72-juices-witb/
    Callaway Epic 12.5* w/ AD GP 5 S
    Taylormade M2 HL 3 wood w/ AD DI 6 S
    Callaway Epic 19* Hybrid w/ Speeder 865 S
    Callaway Epic 22* Hybrid w/ Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U65 23* w/ Steelfiber i110 S
    Srixon Z545 LE Black 6-SW w/ Steelfiber i110 S Hardstepped
    Mack Daddy PM 58* w/ Steelfiber i125 S
    Scotty Cameron Prototype Newport 2 Beach CS
    I just wanted to say I apologize for not finishing this thread yet. I've just been absolutely slammed with profuct testing and have not even been on WRX for more than 5 min in a week. I do promise it will be finished this week.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • ZA206ZA206 Members Posts: 620 ✭✭
    Sold my Tensei Orange V2.... I think it spun a little too much and didn't get along with my tempo. In other news I just ordered a Tensei Pro Orange (new model) that should be here tomorrow! We will see how it stacks up against my 757 gamer.

ZA
    TM 2019 M5 460 9.0 with PX Hazardous Smoke 60-X
    TM 2018 M3 15 3W with Tensei Pro White 70 TX
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    718 AP2 (5-PW) with AMT White X100's
    52F SM6 with AMT X100
    56S SM7 with S400
    TM 60 Hi Toe with S400
    TM Ghost Spider S - 34"
  • evansezeevanseze Me & my better half Members Posts: 886 ClubWRX
    For you guys looking for a Mitsubishi Kuro Kàge Dual Core XT 70tx, I have one that I would trade for a Tensei Pro white 70s. PM me if interested.
    Callaway Customs Epic SZ 9* Atmos Black 7s
    Exotics CBX 13.5* speeder 757
    Adams LS 19* PX Hb6
    Srixon 745/545 Nippon Tour 125s
    Odyssey Backstryke blade SS 2.0
    Cleveland CBX 54* 60*
  • markjincmarkjinc Banned Posts: 1,900
    evanseze wrote:

For you guys looking for a Mitsubishi Kuro Kàge Dual Core XT 70tx, I have one that I would trade for a Tensei Pro white 70s. PM me if interested.

And I have one to sell outright... PM me
  • hwu1hwu1 Members Posts: 38
    Lol has this thread turned into a bst?
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,081 ✭✭
    hwu1 wrote:

agree, could use some cleaning up
    Codename "TK421" F9 10.5 (Avalanche/black) / Rogue 130 Silver 70TX (tipped 3/4", set STD)
    Epic Flash SZ 3+ / Diamana DF 70TX (tipped 1")
    Epic Flash 5 / Diamana BF 90TX (tipped 1.75")
    785 3-PW/ PX 7.0 (+1/2", 2*up, 2* weak)
    RTX4 52*, 58* (bent 1* weak)/ DG TI S400 (+1/2", 2*up)
    SC Kombi-S/ 35.5"

Tournaments on schedule:
    - 5/9; (USGA) US Open Local (Q) - Medford Village Golf Club (NJ)
    - 5/15; (NJSGA) Mid-Am (Q) - Copper Hill Country Club (NJ)
    - 6/11; (NJSGA) Amateur (Q) - Fiddler's Elbow Country Club (NJ)
    - 6/24; (NJSGA) State Open (Q) - Essex Fells Country Club (NJ)
    gioguy21 wrote:

hwu1 wrote:

agree, could use some cleaning up

Seriously. I don't want my thread closed because people can't control themselves.

• MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,443 ✭✭
    I have played/tried many of these shafts thanks to Toll Bros and it is interesting how different they can play with the same swing. I really like the Orange V2, but do have to be careful about getting overly aggressive with the swing, or it can become unpredictable. The Tensei Pro White didn't work for me, I think it was the soft butt issue but not sure exactly. I was hoping to love the KKDC 60 TX, but it immediately produced a draw, that could turn into a hook. I am not sure why, it could be too stiff for me but it didn't feel like it. The Atmos Black has proven to be very consistent for me, so it is currently in the bag.

The Tensei Pro Blue and the Atmos Blue have both been great 3 wood shafts.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • coopizzezcoopizzez Posts: 210 ✭✭
    My take on Tensei Pro Orange... I'll start by saying I've tinkered with the 917 and '16 M2. I took a hard look at the epic and epic SZ, but the head weights were too light. I like to play my driver 44.25"...44.5" max and the Epic heads didn't work for me. I found the Hzrdus black 62g 6.5 a good fit in the 917. I liked the Atmos black 7x and ad tp 7tx in the M2. So I tried the Pro Orange 70tx. I figured it was counterbalanced so I'd go 70 and try it in the 917 tipped an inch. It was ok. Kind of bummed it wasn't awesome. Liked the hzrdus black better and hit the tensei white 60tx yesterday and preferred that. So I thought maybe I should have gone 60tx.

So I put a TM tip on it. My M2 is hot melted and weighs 204g without an adapter. All I can say is that a heavier head made all the difference for me with the Pro Orange.

Quite honestly I don't know much about balance points in shafts...but what I learned: hzrdus black and tensei white were great in a 917 head with a 16g weight. Pro orange is fantastic on a heavy M2 head.

Perhaps I should look into balance point a bit more!
  • kmakkmak Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

I just wanted to say I apologize for not finishing this thread yet. I've just been absolutely slammed with profuct testing and have not even been on WRX for more than 5 min in a week. I do promise it will be finished this week.

Thanks, I can't imagine how much effort you have to put into this. Can't wait to see the mere mortal swing speed data!
  • tommaso05tommaso05 Posts: 242 ClubWRX
    This thread definitely pointed me in the direction of the Tensei Orange v3 comparing what I wanted out of a shaft to the info provided...unfortunately I wasn't able to try-before-I-buy on any of the shafts in this thread, but the info was good enough for me to purchase an Orange and not feel like it was going to be the wrong shaft, and know I was making a good decision. Got the shaft and hit up the range yesterday and it was spot-on with what I was hoping for. You really don't have to worry about the shaft not working well when you're trying to hit it normal, or smooth one out there, or really get after one. I never feel like I "lose" the shaft. I can control trajectory pretty well, too.

The counterbalance is interesting. I don't think I've ever played a counterbalanced shaft. I got the 60g version, and even though I know I could handle this in a 70g most of the time, the 60g was the right choice. I'll have to get on a launch monitor and see how this compares to my backup HZRDUS Black 75g. I bet my swing speed is noticeably higher.
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Taylormade M1 3W 15' - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 2.8 X
    King Cobra F6 3/4H 20.5' - Aldila Tour Blue 85H 2.3 X
    Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - DG Tour Issue S400
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7
  • J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,698 ✭✭
    edited Jun 21, 2017 #203
    I find it interesting that the hzrdus black consistently is swung the slowest or toward the bottom is speed.

The results really look good for the tensei orange for sure

edit: ay dios mio the pro orange is expensive $$$
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    What's in my bag:
    Srixon Z785 9.5* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 70TX 45.5"
    Cobra Fly-Z+ 3W w/ Aldila Tour Blue 75X 42.75"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
    Hey guys we just signed up for sponsorship so I had some troubles with my personal account for the last 5 days. Basically I couldn't post. I have all the data at the office, just couldn't post it. Thankfully I'm back.

• TollBros have you ever hit the Fujikura 2.0 that DJ plays any comparisons to the shafts you have tested?
    kevin1826 wrote:

TollBros have you ever hit the Fujikura 2.0 that DJ plays any comparisons to the shafts you have tested?

I've hit almost all the Fujikura stuff but DJ plays a proto made just for him.

• therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

Hey guys we just signed up for sponsorship so I had some troubles with my personal account for the last 5 days. Basically I couldn't post. I have all the data at the office, just couldn't post it. Thankfully I'm back.

Gents

Thanks to TollBros review on here I was comfortable enough to order the DC TX blind, but knowing the profile and typical load/unload patterns that players were having success with this shaft. Just finished a week golf trip that included a 69, which hasn't happened in 3 years for me because of the tee ball. I was consistently 10-15 yards longer than my buddies and in some cases 50 yards, which caused a lot of angst amongst them unfortunately.

All in all, super happy with the service and knowledge he provides....thanks TB, keep up what the reviews.
  • manima1manima1 Posts: 686 ✭✭

TollBros wrote:

Gents

Thanks to TollBros review on here I was comfortable enough to order the DC TX blind, but knowing the profile and typical load/unload patterns that players were having success with this shaft. Just finished a week golf trip that included a 69, which hasn't happened in 3 years for me because of the tee ball. I was consistently 10-15 yards longer than my buddies and in some cases 50 yards, which caused a lot of angst amongst them unfortunately.

All in all, super happy with the service and knowledge he provides....thanks TB, keep up what the reviews.

+1 - bought the DC TX blind and have been super happy. This shaft is capable delivering some ridiculous bombs.
    '16 M2 8.5 tour issued - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,443 ✭✭
    Waiting on Joe's assessment, as his swing is probably closer to mine than the big boys.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60 stiff shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro White
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 degree with Diamana X Limited 70 stiff shaft
    P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Cobra F8 22 degree hybrid with Tensei Pro Blue 80 stiff shaft
    Titleist SM7 54 and 60 degree wedges
    Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • coreylcoreyl Hacker Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    Mob wrote:

Waiting on Joe's assessment, as his swing is probably closer to mine than the big boys.

Me too. Really want to see how Joe did with the Copperhead. Looks like Aldila has a winner with this one!
    Here is the data from the 3 Mamba shafts everyone has been asking for. Now that my account is fixed and sponsorship approved, I can FINALLY finish this thread.