Range ball vs Premium ball speed

jbsg02jbsg02 Members Posts: 264 ✭✭
edited May 17, 2017 in Golf Balls #1
Anyone have any data as far as ball speed in a premium ball vs a range ball. Using a launch monitor my smash factor is maxing out around 1.45 with range balls, wondering is this would be closer to 1.49 or 1.5 with a Premium ball. The balls are the Strata Super Range

Comments

• J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,700 ✭✭
    I get 3-6 more ballspeed with my normal ball on a GC2 vs range balls on a trackman or gc2
    What's in my bag:
    Srixon Z785 9.5* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 70TX 45.5"
    Cobra Fly-Z+ 3W w/ Aldila Tour Blue 75X 42.75"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • jbsg02jbsg02 Members Posts: 264 ✭✭
    J_Birdie wrote:

I get 3-6 more ballspeed with my normal ball on a GC2 vs range balls on a trackman or gc2

That sounds about right and would put solid hits closer to 1.48-1.5 smash with a premium ball. I have tested my normal golf balls on the launch monitor yet
    Had a session at the range and my absolute best with a range ball maxed out at 1.46, I'm sure that would have been pretty close to 1.5 with a real ball.
  • tarmactrrtarmactrr Members Posts: 180
    edited May 18, 2017 #5
    Depends on the range ball. Some are reduced flight which drop the numbers even further. Typically I see about 5mph difference off the driver with my gc2 on a non reduced flight range ball. Reduced flight balls 10-12mph.
  • flog2flog2 Members Posts: 2,161
    I dont think it matters as its the flight and strike you should be more concerned about....imo
    tarmactrr wrote:

Depends on the range ball. Some are reduced flight which drop the numbers even further. Typically I see about 5mph difference off the driver with my gc2 on a non reduced flight range ball. Reduced flight balls 10-12mph.

5mph would seem about right for a driver, and would put my smash factor and ball speed up to where I think it would be, they're full flight range balls

I dont think it matters as its the flight and strike you should be more concerned about....imo

Definitely, but I'm just curious as the data is right there for me
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭
    Year old thread but anyone have ball speed data for pinnacle practice golf balls (bright yellow with 3 thin black stripes on the sides) vs premium ball?

I am just curious of how those might stack up against my tp5s. Mostly interested in driver ball speed difference. I suspect there is some but is it 3 mph or 8 mph?