ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Longest ball

Gawfman123Gawfman123 Advanced Members Posts: 757
I have to play in a scamble at work
I have no idea anymore what is the longest ball around. I play the Prov1, but I want a rock that can fly for an hour.

Any suggestions???

Comments

• Big_Guy_Who_GolfsBig_Guy_Who_Golfs Advanced Members Posts: 381
    The answer depends on you (e.g. swing speed, skill level, equipment, etc.). It is generally longest ball in the fairway so you also need a ball you can control.

My suggestion is you should get fitted for a ball with the driver you intend to use at the scramble. I believe Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy does ball fittings for around $20.
  • BobaBoba Advanced Members Posts: 2,284
    Swing speed, current ball flight...
  • moose76moose76 Advanced Members Posts: 385
    I am always playing in scrambles and often try different balls for that distance edge (I do hit the ball around 300 yards or so anyway) I can honestly say the Top Flite Freak has to be the most accurate distance ball and still has some feel to it. I have even put it in play in my normal rounds here and there when it was windy. Overall I spin the ball a lot so maybe that why it works but regardless I think they will be tough to beat.
  • ERuhlingERuhling Jr. Boomers Posts: 273
    Pinnacle Gold Long Drive. Nothing is longer. That ball is made to fly forever and never stop.
  • Taylormadematt Taylormadematt Advanced Members Posts: 790
    if you want to give up greenside control, than the Callaway warbird is your choice, won the 2006 and 2007 uk ball tests for distance
  • QueenCityGolferQueenCityGolfer Pin Seeker Extraordinaire Members Posts: 69
    mattyboy wrote on Mar 9 2008, 06:31 PM:
    if you want to give up greenside control, than the Callaway warbird is your choice, won the 2006 and 2007 uk ball tests for distance

I'd have to agree. I bought a sleeve of these a couple of years ago, and they are by far the longest balls I have ever played.

Unfortunately, they are terrible in every other respect.
  • SubsonicSubsonic Advanced Members Posts: 680
    Second the Top Flite Freak. Great Distance and still feels good. I use it as my regular ball as well.
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers Posts: 8,566 ✭✭
    HX Hot has been my scramble long drive ball for awhile now.
  • tgast17tgast17 Advanced Members Posts: 85
    i did a driver fitting in the fall and we tested 6 different balls to help with my lack of spin. The longest ball was the noodle ice by 8 yards. we hit this just being silly but i averaged 329 on the launch monitor and my hx tours only averaged 321. My ss is 120ish.
  • buckyweetbuckyweet ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 278
    I'm so jealous you HAVE to play in a scramble at work. Any openings at your work?
  • KJ25KJ25 Advanced Members Posts: 269
    edited March 2008
    Taylormade TP Black with 90mph driver swing speed longest in recent Golf Mag article.
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 915 F
    Titliest 915 2 hybrid, RBZ 4 hybrid
    Titleist AP2 714 4-9iron
    Nike Method model 001
    Vokey 48, 52, 60
  • BobaBoba Advanced Members Posts: 2,284
    KJ25 wrote on Mar 9 2008, 07:13 PM:
    Taylormade TP Black with 90mph driver swing speed longest in recent Golf Mag article.

Yup, the tp balls were longer @ 90mph, but harder hitters hit the prov1x farther.

Rumor has it that the gran z ball is long too

• LSecaLSeca Members Posts: 1,521
    I play TP black, but if I were going for all out distance I would grab a sleeve of Srixon Trispeeds. As others have stated, different ss will see different results so it is hard to say what will be best for you.
  • driverheaddriverhead Advanced Members Posts: 866
    HX HOT
  • mctimmctim Advanced Members Posts: 87
    Pinnacle LD.
  • WRXJIMWRXJIM World traveller Members Posts: 396
    Noodle Long and Soft or Longer.

I just used them in a scramble for that same reason image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> ha ha, was fun image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • d0nd0n Members Posts: 688
    1. Top Flight D2 Straight

2. Taylor Made TP Black

3. Titleist NXT
  • TEH60TEH60 Members Posts: 10
    Callaway HX-Hot or HX Hot bite.
  • mossmanmossman Advanced Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    second or third the HX Hot
  • nateleenatelee Members Posts: 17
    For long drive competitions and Scrambles I like to play the NXT-Tour, I found they go the farthest.
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Advanced Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭
    hx hot, no doubt.
    Callaway Epic GBB 9*, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, Grip Master "Masters" Kangaroo grip
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • DrWheeler22DrWheeler22 Members Posts: 75
    Pinnacle Long Drive Team official ball "FX Long", it used to be the Pinnacle Gold Long Drive Extreme, or something.....If your not so beast the Bridgestone E6 is the best bet to make up the slack, oh and maybe the new Burner, haven't tried that one....... In the Fairway is always good.....
  • ColinMBColinMB Advanced Members Posts: 1,836
    I have a driver speed of about 97 on average. The HX Hot is undoubtedly the longest flying and rolling ball I hit last year, with just about zero green side control.

This year? I'd try the Burner Tour/LDP Blacks. They are making balls that seem to be getting better at driving distance and retaining spin. I thought the HX Tour Cally ball (last year's model) was close to doing this. This year I guess that would be the IX... or the I?
  • Ogre41Ogre41 Advanced Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    tgast17 wrote on Mar 9 2008, 06:53 PM:
    i did a driver fitting in the fall and we tested 6 different balls to help with my lack of spin. The longest ball was the noodle ice by 8 yards. we hit this just being silly but i averaged 329 on the launch monitor and my hx tours only averaged 321. My ss is 120ish.

I will 2nd the ice. Just stupid long. Go ahead and even hit the colored ones, people will laugh, until they see how far it goes that is. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Cobra Bio Cell Slime Green (currently has a Black Tie 80s in it, that may be a poor choice)
    Ping Rapture 14 Stiff
    Nike Pro Combo 20 or Ladies Bio Cell 3 Iron with stock Graphite Stiff
    Cobra Bio Cell 4-PW Stock Graphite S
    TM ATV 54
    Cally Sureout 58
    Odyseey 2 Ball or Odyssey Versa White #1 Wide
    Titleist Velocity or DT Trusoft
  • herkyjerkherkyjerk Advanced Members Posts: 1,347
    HX Hot

Titleist NXT Extreme

Pinnacle Gold

All 3 are insane long
    Callaway GBB 9* Kuro Kage 50x
    Callaway Bertha Mini 12* Kuro Kage 60x
    Callaway XR16 17* Kuro Kage 60x
    Callaway Apex 23* 26* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Steelhead XR 6-SW XP95s
    Callaway Sure Out 58*
    Odyssey Tank #7
    Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow
  • kinneywhatkinneywhat Advanced Members Posts: 723
    j0npeterson wrote on Mar 9 2008, 05:53 PM:

Same here. I can't think of a ball I can consistantly hit farther and find fairways with the the HX Hot. I tend to only use it for scrambles as well.
  • ROBOPTIROBOPTI Members Posts: 2,495
    j0npeterson wrote on Mar 9 2008, 04:53 PM:

AGREED !!!!!!! ... Tell ya what too .. That new NXT Extreme is pretty deep image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Hard to beat HX HOT though
  • WookieedogWookieedog Members Posts: 952
    Precept U-Tri Distance... a great ball for the money, can still be found at WalMarts
  • TigerEarlTigerEarl Advanced Members Posts: 220
    I agree, my choice since 2 years:

PRECEPT u-tri Extra Distance.

Loooong and control
  • DaveyHDaveyH Jr. Boomers Posts: 2,139
    dunlop loco man!!!

Srixon distances are pure rocks fly the distance
  • nuneenunee Advanced Members Posts: 644
    ERuhling wrote on Mar 9 2008, 03:31 PM:
    Pinnacle Gold Long Drive. Nothing is longer. That ball is made to fly forever and never stop.

For pure distance with the driver, and nothing else the Pinnalce Gold Long Drive is still king.

You can play a Pro V1 or something around the greens. But the Pinnacle off the tee is still the longest!
    Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
    Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
    Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
    Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
    Nike VR 52* & 56*
    Nike T130
  • eggseggs Advanced Members Posts: 260
    Longest ball I've ever hit is the old Nike Power Distance SuperSoft; those things were probably 20yards longer than anything I've hit, no exagerration. They completely freaked me out, I was over-clubbing all over the place.

Forget control though. Short game effectively rendered the greens ice rinks.