Maui - King Kamehameha - Anyone play it?

Gnomesteel

I'll be in Maui in a few weeks and making some tee times now. Staying at The Westin so I've already got one tee time at Ka'anapali Royal, but trying to decide on a second course. I've played the Plantation (loved it), but might try the guest for a day thing at King Kamehameha. Has anyone played it? It's $225, and the pro said they aerated the greens a week or two ago.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it about 4 years ago (stationed in Hawaii for 6 years), it is a very nice course with amazing views (bring your camera), very challenging from the tips, around 7000 yards if I remember correctly, then is 6500 from the blue and around the 6000 from white, open though wont be in too much trouble if you miss it a bit, rough can get thick, wind may affect your shot decisions (like anywhere else), plenty of hills and undulations on the greens...it is a very nice experience, the greens should be good to go by the time you get there or at least playable...since you already played the plantation course, then I say give it a try, it really is a nice course, I prefer the plantation though...good luck, ALOHA!!!

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Its super windy- the holes are routed back and forth on a side of a mountain.

Example. Hole 12 you play into the wind towards the north side

Hole 13 you play down wind, towards the south.

Hole 14 you play into the wind, towards the north

Hole 15 you play down wind, towards the south

Hole 16 you play into the wind, towards the north.

Its ok-- If you are willing to spend 225, might as well play Kapalua Bay Course instead.

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

Its super windy- the holes are routed back and forth on a side of a mountain.

Example. Hole 12 you play into the wind towards the north side

Hole 13 you play down wind, towards the south.

Hole 14 you play into the wind, towards the north

Hole 15 you play down wind, towards the south

Hole 16 you play into the wind, towards the north.

Its ok-- If you are willing to spend 225, might as well play Kapalua Bay Course instead.

This. Was gonna say work on flighting your ball down. I played there w/a kid from the pro shop and he played it pretty well that day and I don't think his driver ever got more than 15ft off the deck the whole day.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be in Maui in a few weeks and making some tee times now. Staying at The Westin so I've already got one tee time at Ka'anapali Royal, but trying to decide on a second course. I've played the Plantation (loved it), but might try the guest for a day thing at King Kamehameha. Has anyone played it? It's $225, and the pro said they aerated the greens a week or two ago.

It might be too late, but I was just out there and I played Kapalua Plantation several times and Ka'anapali Royal once. (I paid for Kapalua, Royal was a company thing) I have no problem admitting I can be a bit picky about my golf courses. When I am at home, I play the course closest to me. It's not the best in town, but it's affordable, it's a fun track, and most important I can find times that are wide open so I can play in a little over a hour. (weird times like before work, or in the afternoon) But when I am on vacation I would rather pay a little bit more and play the best courses rather than save a little bit of money and play the not so great courses.

All that being said, I would not pay to pay Ka'anapali Royal. In fact, I kind of wish I would have skipped Ka'anapali Royal (even if it was free) and went down to Wailea or played Kapalua Bay course or Plantation a 4th time. Save your money and play Kapalua Plantation or maybe the Bay course, or go play Wailea Gold/Emerald. There are some fun holes on Ka'anapali Royal, but for the most part you are on a course that is surrounded on every side by hotels and condos. On the Kapalua Plantation course there are only a couple of holes that have houses (mansions) on them. Kapalua is a golf course first and foremost. Ka'anapali Royal was a hotel/condo place first and a golf course seemed to be an after thought (in my opinion)

I drove by King Kamehameha and it looked really nice. I would have liked to have played it. Same with Wailea Gold. But, I did hear from someone that they much preferred both Kapalua courses to Wailea (though I don't know which one they played, I thought it was Gold or Emerald)

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I ended up playing King K and Royal. Personally, I like the Royal, it's fun even though it's not the prettiest course on the island. That being said, King K was an absolute treat. Up on the mountain side the views are spectacular and it's all golf. No houses can be seen other than the clubhouse which is a stunning Frank Lloyd Wright design.

Here are a few photos from the day. First image is No. 1 fairway, a great little par 5 to get started. Second is looking up at the clubhouse from No. 10 green.

0imIdPk.jpg

jqP7Tit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I drove by King Kamehameha and it looked really nice. I would have liked to have played it. Same with Wailea Gold. But, I did hear from someone that they much preferred both Kapalua courses to Wailea (though I don't know which one they played, I thought it was Gold or Emerald)

The thing is that where you're staying on the island plays a big factor. While Wailea and King Kamehameha are ~25 minutes apart from each other, Kapalua is over an hour away from Wailea.

• 1 year later...

> @benzenbe said:

> (Quote)

>

>

> The thing is that where you're staying on the island plays a big factor. While Wailea and King Kamehameha are ~25 minutes apart from each other, Kapalua is over an hour away from Wailea.

This is what I’m factoring for my trip next month. Last time I stayed in Wailea and played Emerald & Pukalani bc I don’t want to drive an hour north.

This time I’m staying in Kaanapali so I’m thinking Kapalua Bay, and maybe head down one day to KK. The driving isn’t super bad but when you’re ditching your wife on vacation, time matters haha

> @fullbodyfix said:

> > @benzenbe said:

> > (Quote)

> >

> >

> > The thing is that where you're staying on the island plays a big factor. While Wailea and King Kamehameha are ~25 minutes apart from each other, Kapalua is over an hour away from Wailea.

>

> This is what I’m factoring for my trip next month. Last time I stayed in Wailea and played Emerald & Pukalani bc I don’t want to drive an hour north.

>

> This time I’m staying in Kaanapali so I’m thinking Kapalua Bay, and maybe head down one day to KK. The driving isn’t super bad but when you’re ditching your wife on vacation, time matters haha

>

traffic is extra terrible on friday and saturday afternoons going back to lahaina so if you do make the drive try and do it mon -thurs and play earlier as youll lessen the chance of traffic. wind isnt as bad early in the mornign as well.

• 2 weeks later...

> @fullbodyfix said:

> > @benzenbe said:

> > (Quote)

> >

> >

> > The thing is that where you're staying on the island plays a big factor. While Wailea and King Kamehameha are ~25 minutes apart from each other, Kapalua is over an hour away from Wailea.

>

> This is what I’m factoring for my trip next month. Last time I stayed in Wailea and played Emerald & Pukalani bc I don’t want to drive an hour north.

>

> This time I’m staying in Kaanapali so I’m thinking Kapalua Bay, and maybe head down one day to KK. The driving isn’t super bad but when you’re ditching your wife on vacation, time matters haha

>

Bay course holes 3 and 4 are where the drama is. No. 4 is the par 3 over the water. The rest of the course is fine, but pretty pedestrian. Plantation is a must. King K is a great course. It, and another called Kahili, were both built around the same time. Ted Robinson designed King K, and/it was known for water effects. The 18th at King K has a waterfall behind the green, a small pond to the front left. Lots of little water features there, and the maintenance is about the best on Maui, since it gets less play than the resorts. The holes do criss-cross back and forth, and the wind does kick up as it gets warmer throughout the day, but they were designed for those prevailing trade winds, and it makes for really interesting play. The views of Haleakala are great. I wouldn't let the notion of traffic scare me away. The Pali clogs up especially when there's an accident, or rocks fall, or some other incident, but just go to Mama's afterwards for dinner, watch the sunset, etc., then ride back to Kaana later.

> @bladesoshanter said:

> > @fullbodyfix said:

> > > @benzenbe said:

> > > (Quote)

> > >

> > >

> > > The thing is that where you're staying on the island plays a big factor. While Wailea and King Kamehameha are ~25 minutes apart from each other, Kapalua is over an hour away from Wailea.

> >

> > This is what I’m factoring for my trip next month. Last time I stayed in Wailea and played Emerald & Pukalani bc I don’t want to drive an hour north.

> >

> > This time I’m staying in Kaanapali so I’m thinking Kapalua Bay, and maybe head down one day to KK. The driving isn’t super bad but when you’re ditching your wife on vacation, time matters haha

> >

>

> Bay course holes 3 and 4 are where the drama is. No. 4 is the par 3 over the water. The rest of the course is fine, but pretty pedestrian. Plantation is a must. King K is a great course. It, and another called Kahili, were both built around the same time. Ted Robinson designed King K, and/it was known for water effects. The 18th at King K has a waterfall behind the green, a small pond to the front left. Lots of little water features there, and the maintenance is about the best on Maui, since it gets less play than the resorts. The holes do criss-cross back and forth, and the wind does kick up as it gets warmer throughout the day, but they were designed for those prevailing trade winds, and it makes for really interesting play. The views of Haleakala are great. I wouldn't let the notion of traffic scare me away. The Pali clogs up especially when there's an accident, or rocks fall, or some other incident, but just go to Mama's afterwards for dinner, watch the sunset, etc., then ride back to Kaana later.

Awesome feedback thanks.

We ended up booking an early tee time at KK and another at Maui Nui. My friend who I'm playing with is not a golf nut like me so should be a good mix or courses. will report back!

> @fullbodyfix said:

> We ended up booking an early tee time at KK and another at Maui Nui. My friend who I'm playing with is not a golf nut like me so should be a good mix or courses. will report back!

Maui Nui is a Kihei course that was designed by a guy from Canada who did a good job with the site. It was later traded around by different owners from Japan. The last one leveled some of the holes to make the course easier, updated lots of things in the process. Be interesting to hear your take on the golf course. It is owned by a real estate guy on Oahu now. Young mainland team runs it, so the service should be good. Get's lots of sun and the winds kick up as the day progresses. Breezes can get strong and circle back in from channel. A lot of locals like that golf course. Price is right. Waiehu might have been nice, for you and your friend, as it's front nine is right on the water. Kinda slice of old Hawaii.

i just got back from maui and played KK last monday 10/7. for a troon course i was pretty disappointed. the starter did warn me about the fairways being dry before i started. it was a fun track but for $260 i expected a little bit more. the fairways were pretty beat up and dry as the starter mentioned and most of the greens on the front 9 looked like they were in recovery. my taxi ride from wailea was about $100 round trip also. from the drive in you could see the dry spots on the fairways. honestly, the maui nui course from the street looked in better condition.

also the carts dont have gps either.

> @fullbodyfix said:

> > @benzenbe said:

> > (Quote)

> >

> >

>

>

>

im not sure its going to be worth the drive to KK. if you just want to experience it, then i get it. but if you are looking to get value for the $260 then plus the drive to the course, you're probably better off playing the bay course again. it's a decent course, kind of short though. dont think you will get the same views from any other course, but really hard to justify the costs. the carts dont have gps either. i had forgotten my garmin golf watch and didnt have my phone so i was playing the holes pretty blind. they at least had a greens map so i knew the greens on each hole. but there were a handful of holes with dog legs and blind spots where i was just winging it for the most part. got pretty lucky on most. i was lucky to play before 8am so the winds were not bad at all. i got there at 7am for my 7:40am tee time and they were cool to just let me out when i was ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty great day at King K club. So first of all, NO…it’s not up to normal condition standards. Fairways are dry, which honestly was kind of fun…imagine elevated tee box, down hill, down wind off of the par 5 first & 18th…I hit each about 325. Lol. (I am no bomber).

Second, people are friendly. They apologized for the dry conditions and gave us a $209 rate (vs the advertised $259). They are watering the greens by hand and they were in good, not great condition.

Third - routing…prob my only real complaint is that the property is a long piece of land on the side of the hill and the routing is basically back and forth up the hill on one side of the entry road, then back and forth on the other side. It’s a bit boring outside of maybe the ninth (cool par 4 into the clubhouse), 12th, forced layup dog leg right par 4 to an elevated green over a creek), and 18th (pretty par 5 with sick view of clubhouse).

There are lots of great views. But maybe the reason to go is for the clubhouse. The Frank Lloyd Wright design is otherworldly and worth the trip.

We went off at 7:40am and got a light wind day…it would be very hard on a heavy wind day. Go early in the day if you can. There were maybe 3 groups on the whole course.

Finished with 7 straight pars to finish - Good day for me!

ltoj5cq8ibf5.jpeg

I know it's late, but I've played KK many times. I just got back from Maui. It's not in its best condition but still well cared for and fun. The only problem with that course and others on that side of the mountain is the prevailing winds come up, and many KK holes parallel the mountainside. One hole you're hitting into the wind the next downwind. I've encountered as much as four clubs worth. Last, I didn't read all the posts, but the clubhouse was custom built by Frank Lloyd Wright for Marilyn Monroe.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x