Bad day at the office

shotmark

Sat at work on a Sunday evening so thought I'd have a bit of a rant.

Isn't it really annoying when professional golfers who, because of their talent are lucky enough never to have worked in an office say they've had a bad day at the office during interviews.

Any other interview comments that people find annoying?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubicle hell is a choice. There are many other hells you coulda Have chosen. Work sucks. We are all in that boat.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Cubicle hell is a choice. There are many other hells you coulda Have chosen. Work sucks. We are all in that boat.

I tried something else recently. The grass was not greener on the other side. I'm glad I tried it (got a CDL and drove trucks for a bit), but at the end of the day...a bad day on 18 wheels is an epic $h1t show compared to a bad day in a white collar environment.

I worked in sales for years and hated it. I came into some money, quit, and went back to college, and got a degree in turf management. Was working at a course when my son was born, and my wife was making a ton more than I was, so I became a stay at home dad. Now, I'm retired. I haven't had a bad day at the office since I quit my sales job, 1990.

I worked in sales for years and hated it. I came into some money, quit, and went back to college, and got a degree in turf management. Was working at a course when my son was born, and my wife was making a ton more than I was, so I became a stay at home dad. Now, I'm retired. I haven't had a bad day at the office since I quit my sales job, 1990.

so the analogy here is ...to marry a rich woman.... :taunt:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Isn't it really annoying when professional golfers who, because of their talent are lucky enough never to have worked in an office say they've had a bad day at the office during interviews.

There's a pretty big difference between what you like to do on your days off playing golf with your friends and what those guys do with the travel and other commitments and practice and workouts and the enormous stress that goes along with your income being dependent on your performance. Is it a great job? Yes. Is it the paradise you think it is? Ehhhh, not quite.

Would I trade what I do now to do it? To be a top 50 player in the world sure, that would be amazing, but to be grinding away on web.com (or a lower tour) thinking I've gotta make this work because I don't know what to do with my life if I fall off this tour next year? Nah, I'll stick with what I've got, that can be a tough deal.

They aren't lucky. They worked their asses off to be where they are, all of us were aware the PGA tour existed. Why didn't we make it since it's such a great life? We didn't because we are not as good as them at golf, which is both a sport and a profession. A "job" is just a duty you do in exchange for money and the market dictates what's valuable.

What you are saying is no different than hating on a CEO for thinking he has a tough day and tough decisions sometimes. He worked his way to CEO and ate a lot of crap along the way, and has (mostly) earned the money (that's still too high IMO, but again the market dictates it though i don't think it's beneficial to the system). But i'm sure plenty of CEO's stress over decisions they make

How do you know their lives are so great anyway? Money doesn't determine happiness (thats been shown, provided your basic needs are met) and these guys lives are dissected in public.

The top exec at my company makes a ton of money, but probably travels 60-75% of the year. People might be jealous of the money, but when you ask them to travel like that they scoff. People tend to always see only the positives when it comes to others lives

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I tried something else recently. The grass was not greener on the other side. I'm glad I tried it (got a CDL and drove trucks for a bit), but at the end of the day...a bad day on 18 wheels is an epic $h1t show compared to a bad day in a white collar environment.

This is no joke. After 20 years of teaching I can "retire" in3 years. Which means I will need something to supplement my retirement. I always dreamed of driving OTR but I know it's not what it was in late 70's. So if you don't mind, what was it that changed your mind?

Your bad day at the office isn't seen by millions of people.

I find the interviewers far more annoying than the interviewees in sports or elsewhere.

I too find it bad form when a pro golfer complains about people bothering him in his office. Yes, it is your "workplace," but you have to be completely tone deaf to make a statement like that and think anyone is going to feel sorry for you.

I get the sentiment but there is also an element of "I paid for my ticket so I can heckle the players if I want to" among spectators, which is a shame. People say some stupid things sometimes, and in those circumstances the player has a point.

This is no joke. After 20 years of teaching I can "retire" in3 years. Which means I will need something to supplement my retirement. I always dreamed of driving OTR but I know it's not what it was in late 70's. So if you don't mind, what was it that changed your mind?

My first issue...there is a completely different mentality in that line of work than what I was used to (aircrew member in the military and then financial analyst on the outside). The ends (getting the freight from Point 'A' to Point 'B') always justifies the means. You will...at some point... be encourage and/or pressured to drive a vehicle that is not safe and has one or more violations that would leave you hosed if you were to get pulled over by a DOT inspector.

You have to make a decision in a situation like that. The average guy has a clear decision...he will (most likely) take the truck and go out on the run because he can't afford not to. Or you can do what I did the first time I was told to just take the truck ("it's the only one left") and head out...I grabbed my bag, punched out, and proceeded to head out the door. Only then did my supervisor say "ok...we'll line a rental up for you. Go pick it up." I punched back in, headed out to get the rental truck, and made my deliveries for the day.

The issue there to me (one of many)...why would a supervisor put a driver in the position of having to drive an unsafe truck when another option existed?

I decided to do LTL (Less-Than-Truckload) because I had no interest in sleeping in a truck for weeks on end. I had that opportunity (anything local is a big deal in the trucking community) because I was able to get a hazmat endorsement and a good background check. I started out making pretty decent money and they had regular pay raises.

OTR is VERY hit or miss, as far as quality of life and compensation. My advice...if you decide to go this route...look for a company that offers percentage pay (versus $.xx/mile). With a LOT of the per mile gigs...you'd be better off flipping burgers, by the time you factor in breakdowns (which can be frequent, depending on how your company maintains the tractors and trailers) and traffic (if you're paid per mile...you often aren't making anything if you're sitting still).

At the end of the day, I'm glad that I tried it. It was something I had considered for a while and I met a lot of interesting people. That and the first time I had to maneuver a tractor trailer in a congested urban area...it gave me a whole new respect for the guys and gals that do that for a living. It is not an easy way to make a living. :drinks:

My first issue...there is a completely different mentality in that line of work than what I was used to (aircrew member in the military and then financial analyst on the outside). The ends (getting the freight from Point 'A' to Point 'B') always justifies the means. You will...at some point... be encourage and/or pressured to drive a vehicle that is not safe and has one or more violations that would leave you hosed if you were to get pulled over by a DOT inspector.

You have to make a decision in a situation like that. The average guy has a clear decision...he will (most likely) take the truck and go out on the run because he can't afford not to. Or you can do what I did the first time I was told to just take the truck ("it's the only one left") and head out...I grabbed my bag, punched out, and proceeded to head out the door. Only then did my supervisor say "ok...we'll line a rental up for you. Go pick it up." I punched back in, headed out to get the rental truck, and made my deliveries for the day.

The issue there to me (one of many)...why would a supervisor put a driver in the position of having to drive an unsafe truck when another option existed?

I decided to do LTL (Less-Than-Truckload) because I had no interest in sleeping in a truck for weeks on end. I had that opportunity (anything local is a big deal in the trucking community) because I was able to get a hazmat endorsement and a good background check. I started out making pretty decent money and they had regular pay raises.

OTR is VERY hit or miss, as far as quality of life and compensation. My advice...if you decide to go this route...look for a company that offers percentage pay (versus $.xx/mile). With a LOT of the per mile gigs...you'd be better off flipping burgers, by the time you factor in breakdowns (which can be frequent, depending on how your company maintains the tractors and trailers) and traffic (if you're paid per mile...you often aren't making anything if you're sitting still).

At the end of the day, I'm glad that I tried it. It was something I had considered for a while and I met a lot of interesting people. That and the first time I had to maneuver a tractor trailer in a congested urban area...it gave me a whole new respect for the guys and gals that do that for a living. It is not an easy way to make a living. :drinks:

Thanks for the detailed response. I am saving this to my files. Lot of useful info. : )

Everything is relative. These guys do have bad days by their standards.

That said, I think there are a lot of them who have absolutely zero clue what the real world is like. Have them wash dishes for $8 an hour, with waitstaff and cooks screaming at them, and they'd be begging for their bad day at the PGA office back.

That said, I think there are a lot of them who have absolutely zero clue what the real world is like. Have them wash dishes for $8 an hour, with waitstaff and cooks screaming at them, and they'd be begging for their bad day at the PGA office back.

washing dishes? I think a lot of us forgot what its like in the real world. I havent worked in a restaurant in decades.

Interview comments that I find annoying are usually the result of inane comments by the television interviewer and so the comments from the players sound both routine and predictable. I could do a Jordan Speith sound alike interview by using that annoying imperial "we" that he uses over and over to refer to himself--he needs to win about thirteen more majors before employing that term.

The there is DJ with his "you know?", "Like" etc. Everyone in public life should go to some form of retraining where the "you know" is literally beaten out of them--never to be used again on pain of death!

So, yeah, I have, like, you know, some annoying moments with "professional" players, OK?

This is true, they do live in a bubble and can seem pretty disconnected from reality at times if you know them.

They aren't lucky. They worked their asses off to be where they are, all of us were aware the PGA tour existed. Why didn't we make it since it's such a great life? We didn't because we are not as good as them at golf, which is both a sport and a profession. A "job" is just a duty you do in exchange for money and the market dictates what's valuable.

What you are saying is no different than hating on a CEO for thinking he has a tough day and tough decisions sometimes. He worked his way to CEO and ate a lot of crap along the way, and has (mostly) earned the money (that's still too high IMO, but again the market dictates it though i don't think it's beneficial to the system). But i'm sure plenty of CEO's stress over decisions they make

How do you know their lives are so great anyway? Money doesn't determine happiness (thats been shown, provided your basic needs are met) and these guys lives are dissected in public.

The top exec at my company makes a ton of money, but probably travels 60-75% of the year. People might be jealous of the money, but when you ask them to travel like that they scoff. People tend to always see only the positives when it comes to others lives

You are missing my point entirely. I would never begrudge anyone for being successful as a result of hard work and have the greatest respect for people who've reached the pinnacle of their chosen careers. I did ok for myself to the extent that thirty odd years of 'bad days at the office' meant I've semi retired and now enjoy working a few days a week in the pro shop at a local golf club.

I just find it insensitive that multi millionaire golfing superstars equate their lot to the millions of us who have 9-5 office jobs.

As for being happy, it's better to be unhappy sitting in a Ferrari than a Kia