Shoes for heavier golfers

toursaucytoursaucy Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
Any advice on a good pair of golf shoes for a heavier (250+ lb) guy?

I've run into the problem when playing on soft greens I leave huge spike marks in the green surface which is frustrating for other players and myself. I imagine the easy answer is go to a spikeless shoe but I worry about traction as I tend to slip a little even when wearing spikes. Past couple pairs worn FJ hyperflex and Tour360 boost for reference.

What golf shoes work well for other heavy set golfers out there?

Comments

• jwortsmanjwortsman Members Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I'm also a big guy and agree with your statement that spikeless are probably the way to go. I've had the ECCO Biom Hybrid for a couple of years and as much as I want to like something else, keep going back to those.
  • jldavis73jldavis73 Members Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    toursaucy wrote:

Any advice on a good pair of golf shoes for a heavier (250+ lb) guy?

I've run into the problem when playing on soft greens I leave huge spike marks in the green surface which is frustrating for other players and myself. I imagine the easy answer is go to a spikeless shoe but I worry about traction as I tend to slip a little even when wearing spikes. Past couple pairs worn FJ hyperflex and Tour360 boost for reference.

What golf shoes work well for other heavy set golfers out there?

I'm with you, my brother. I've found spikeless seem to make less of an indention. I think most of the issue is playing on soft greens. Definitely NOT the large fries I just ate.
    Srixon Z785 
    Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
    Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
    Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
    Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 
  • acemandrakeacemandrake ROCHESTER NYMembers Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭
    Footjoy Pro SL have been great for me: Comfortable but with more stability than sneaker-type shoes.
  • aue21aue21 Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sketchers.... the best spikeless ones I've found, not super stylish, but soooo comfortable
  • sofcsofc Members Posts: 156
    Nike flyknit elite is pretty stable. I think the new Lunar Control also has the same spikeless pattern.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Honma TW717 - 430[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 3 wood[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J15 4 hybrid[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]MP-64 3-8[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Scor 41/45/53/58[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Lajosi KLP6C[/font]
  • toursaucytoursaucy Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    aue21 wrote:
    Sketchers.... the best spikeless ones I've found, not super stylish, but soooo comfortable

I'm interested in maybe trying a pair of go golf elite 2 since the price isn't too high plus I do put comfort at a premium. How is the traction/stability with the outsole?
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 6'3" and 3 bills plus, i feel your pain. I've played 2-3 years with the Puma FAAS lite golf shoes. Extremely comfortable and stable. I just recently purchased the LCV. Hands down the best golf shoe I've owned and i have quite the selection. I played Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon, greens were a little damp, but i left no marks behind me as i walked on the greens. Highly recommend them for any golfer.
  • jldavis73jldavis73 Members Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up the Powerband Boost Boa. Through 3 rounds, they seem to be my pick for comfort. I'm a huge fan of the BOA closure system, too.
    Srixon Z785 
    Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
    Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
    Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
    Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got some Ecco Biom Hybrid 2's and they are fantastic. I'm 255 and don't have any issues with traction. I play early mornings and we get a lot of dew and I haven't had an issue.

Meanwhile, I have a skinny buddy who is probably 165 and he has some Ecco's (with spikes) and he's basically aerating the greens every time we play. It's pretty bad and we're always giving him crap about it. I don't think it's as much about the weight of the person as it is the shoe itself. Yep, we'll go with that one lol.
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • leejohnkiehleejohnkieh Members Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the heavier set guys at my course mainly wear 3 different pairs. The Sketcher's, Adidas Powerband BOA Boost, and the Ecco's.
    Team NIKE
    Titleist TS3 9.5 - GD AD-BB 7X
    Titleist TS2 15* - Diamana LTD D+ 80X
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW - DG X100 SS
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (50, 54) - Raw
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (58) - Brushed Copper
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M - 34"
    My WITB
    Tacoma Country & Golf Club
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    FJ MyJoy Icon Shield Tips ... love mine and there is no green marking go on
    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    I'm a big guy, have found the puma pwradpt brilliant. They have spikes but feel like wearing slippers. Tried Skechers was not a fan at all.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I'm 6'4 and um have a big frame, yeah that sounds nice. I have a couple pairs of Callaway, one is the cornado, but both feel great on me. I think they work with new balance on shoe design as well.

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭
    sofc wrote:

Nike flyknit elite is pretty stable. I think the new Lunar Control also has the same spikeless pattern.

The new traction system on the new Nike's (including the new Lunar Control Vapors) are terrible if you're hoping to leave less tracks on greens. LCVs are absolutely terrible on the greens. Every time I wear them I only wear them in afternoon rounds because if I jump on greens in wet conditions or early in the day, I feel so embarrassed with what I do to the greens.

I find spiked Nike Lunar Control 4s to be best for avoiding marks, and spikeless I find go golf elite 2s (or 3s) by Sketchers to be very good and very comfortable.

Gib - 5'11, 275 hashtags.
  • brycefazebrycefaze Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    So I can give you some insight on the spike vs spikeless for you to consider in making your decision in regards to slipping- because the two model shoes I have are discontinued. I am 6'9" and 300 lbs. I have two pairs of Footjoys, one pair of casuals (one of the first editions -spikeless) & DNAs (spiked). I have never had an issue slipping with my spikeless shoes and notice they do a lot less damage to the greens. with my spiked shoes I have noticed slipping - especially when hitting out of pine needles (not ideal to be playing out of the woods, but it happens!). So I prefer my spikeless because I have never slipped in them and will continue to purchase spikeless. Hope that helps with your search!
    • Ping G400 SFT 12 degree
    • Ping G400 5 wood
    • Ping G 4 crossover
    • Ping i210 4-w
    • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50 and 56 degree
    • Taylormade Spider
    • Taylormade TP5X
  • mac4presmac4pres Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I'm a fairly good size, FJ pro sl, nike zoom air 90 it and nike roshe (all spike less) do pretty good for me without huge marks on the greens or issues with slipping
  • walpywalpy Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    I use both Pro SL and DNA's - and the DNAs can really mark a place up but SO MUCH GRIP.

Anyway - I went Pro SL for this exact reason and ended up finding my #1 shoe. I have 3 pair now. Not once have I slipped playing in the rain & wet. Super comfortable even walking 36 for 3 days in a row as a 5'10 260lb guy.
    Callaway 816 DBD 9* w/ Aldila Rogue i/o 60S

Callaway 816 14* w/ Aldila Rogue i/o 70S

Cllaway Steelhead XR 5-wood w/ Tensei CK 55S

Titleist 695MB 3, 5-PW w/ DG S300

Vokey 50.12, 54.10, 58.08

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Titleist ProV1x
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Walter Hagen Course Casual Golf Shoes from Dick's at $60 a pair full price, plus I always have a coupon for there. They make for a very comfortable walk for me.
  • BuckeyecigarBuckeyecigar Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Does anyone have thoughts on the New Balance Minimus Tour? I’m 5’10” and 270lbs. I want to make sure I get a shoe with grip, but also plenty of cushion for walking.

• BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

I like the callaway shoes. Have Adidas I like too, but the callaways get more use

• PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

FootJoy FJ Flex. By far the most comfortable, non-slip, spikeless golf shoes around.

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wide feet? True Linkswear OG or Sketchers GG Elite V3.

Cobra F8 9.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • padgetpadget Members Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had the adidas 360 traction spikeless shoes for about 2 years now. Feel great and never leave marks or slip. They are pretty much waterproof as well which is great because we get a good bit of rain. I’m 6’3, and husky lol (265-275).

I had two pairs of Nike’s that were comfortable but let water in as soon as submerged and they both fell apart while on the golf course, the sole came off mid round. They were still in decent shape and should have had more life in them so switched to the Adidas and have been very happy.

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spikeless shoes slip less than spiked shoes, period. They have more contact points with the ground and create more friction. It's not an argument, its a fact.

The "slippage" myth was created by the first iterations of spikeless shoes that had sparse rounded/pointed nubs that sought to recreated metal spikes. Without corners/edges, they couldn't create any torsional friction and slipped like **** on wet days. Now that everyone puts in a butt-load of hard cornered nubs, they are superior to spikes in all conditions.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 38 ✭✭

I’m 220, and the ProSL’s work great. They are a very stable shoe, and comfortable as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file