Are there playing secrets on tour?

BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXerMembers Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Some pro was being interviewed last weekend and said he and his coach found some good things recently.....interviewer asks if he can talk about or are they a secret and player said oh no I wont be disclosing those secrets and interviewer chuckled and understood......Now this is first time I've heard anything about secrets being discussed by anyone on TV and I watch plenty of golf lol.....but Im not to bright!

I always thought the guys would want to keep a competitive edge with certain secrets but then also figured wise pros and coaches have been hitting little balls with sticks for way over 100 years and if you revealed a secret then all the old timers would be ya kid that ideas already out there....

Cause if 1 coach learns something awesome he's going to teach it to more then 1 person and plus caddys know and now the cats out the bag as players change coaches all time and info is out there...

From you insiders what kind of secrets we talkin bout here?....ps I wont tell
G30 LST
3 wood M2 HL
OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
Cleveland Blob
SeeMore Butts

Comments

• mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No secrets, just certain keys that are individual and unique to each player's game.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    who knows. I know when Phil won the Open in '13 (his last win), he was talking about all week he had a putting secret for the week. I have no clue what he was talking about. For me I keep alot stuff internal among the things Im working on in my game and I won't really discuss much what I am working on with my friends, because these are the same guys Im playing against for money.
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a nickel for every time Golf Digest, Golf magazine, etc., used the word "secret" in relation to the golf swing I'd have more money than Gates and Bezos combined. To paraphrase Carl Sagan, there are "billions and billions" of secrets. I think it's all bullsh!t.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE! Members Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

The information is all out there and freely available, they're just really good at golf.
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they're secrets in the way we generally think of secrets. It's more of a superstition; you find some swing thought or swing key that works but you're afraid that if you share it, you'll lose the magic and it'll stop working.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • Baby FadesBaby Fades Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    At this point with the internet at full steam now, secrets are hard to keep... Now there are secrets on tour, locker room stories, hookups etc... but when it comes to the swing I don't think you're gonna find a secret.. and if I had a swing secret, would my swing secret work on you?? I doubt it... the only secret is, own you're swing...
    Taylor Made M1 460 9.5 Aldila Rogue Black 95MSI 70-S
    Taylor Made M2 3HL Aldila Rogue Black 95MSI 70-S
    Taylor Made M2 4 Hybrid Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 85-H
    Taylor Made PSI Tour Irons 4-PW DG S300
    Vokey wedges SM6 50,56, SM4 62
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Taylor Made TP5X
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - they practice a lot.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the same secret that separates NFL wide receivers from the rest of us. #KillTheBosses
  • LittleLeftToRightLittleLeftToRight Turn that frown upside down! Members Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I can distill great golf down to one simple phrase, and this is the secret.

Don't miss.
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No.

The information is all out there and freely available, they're just really good at golf.

^^^This^^^

Nothing more.
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 2, 2017 #12
    When Rory won the US Open at Congressional, they asked him if he wanted to talk about some of the things he was working on Post Augusta meltdown.

He said "No"

I thought that was a really weird answer. What that means I have no idea but it was the first time I heard that type of response
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • ethanshapiroethanshapiro grinder Members Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fun to believe that there is some little adjustment that the best in the world all make and exclusively only they know of it, but I strongly doubt it
    TaylorMade M5 9.0 Tensei CK 65g S
    Callaway Rogue 15' Rexis 65g S
    Titleist 818 H2 20' Fujikura Atmos 85g S
    PXG 0311X Accra 80i M4
    Titleist 716 CB KBS Tour 90S 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 50F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54M
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 60L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2014
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the secret, I was entrusted to protect it, but one of these days I might put it up on BST. It really is more of a burden to know, ya'll are lucky to be in the dark.

The clues are all around us, some have even mentioned it on golfwrx, but you must read it backwards. I must go now, I've said too much alread......................
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't be serious. The "secret?"

You expect us to tell you the secret? Like in the open? Just blurt it out? Come on.
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • labloverlablover Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Didn't you know? The secret's in the dirt
  • TinCuppingTinCupping Members Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 2, 2017 #17
    The secret is in the dirt.

Well ****, you beat me to it LMFAO
    Ping G400 9.0 Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3W Tour 75X
    Ping G400 3H Tour 85X
    Ping G400 4-UW AWT 2.0X
    Ping Eye 2 Gorge S,L DG Spinner
    Ping 50th Anniversary Anser
    Titleist Pro V1
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably cooking tips, like secret barbecue sauce recipes, or the perfect amount of cream/milk for gratin dauphinoise.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If there WAS a secret to power, the kinematic sequence theory squashed that one. If you want to get better, figure out how they hit a 7-iron 200 yards! THAT is the only secret, and it isn't really a secret at all........
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 3, 2017 #20
    Barfolomew wrote:

From you insiders what kind of secrets we talkin bout here?
    Shoot a lower score than all other players. It's the only "secret" that matters. The rest is BS.
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "If you want to play better, just hit less shots." - Confuscis.
  • toyportoypor Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

When Rory won the US Open at Congressional, they asked him if he wanted to talk about some of the things he was working on Post Augusta meltdown.

He said "No"

I thought that was a really weird answer. What that means I have no idea but it was the first time I heard that type of response

Elite athletes, macho, won't always want or admit to seeing a psychologist though.
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a secret per se, but I could see an experienced tour player not want to give up course knowledge maybe. Like there's a very subtle break on 14 at Augusta that isn't in any green book and you'd only really know it if you played the course a bunch.
  • mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vindog wrote:

He said "No"

Elite athletes, macho, won't always want or admit to seeing a psychologist though.

Either that or it could have been something very small, technical, and specific that he'd rather just not go through the trouble of explaining to an audience that would for the most part have no idea what he was talking about.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mjen43 wrote:

Vindog wrote:

He said "No"

Either that or it could have been something very small, technical, and specific that he'd rather just not go through the trouble of explaining to an audience that would for the most part have no idea what he was talking about.

I had not ruled this out actually. He was a bit overwhelmed with the moment.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good players seek for a feel or little instigator or trigger for their swing to make it work. It's not big technical stuff but "something" that makes you swing with ease and confidence. The days or weeks you find that everything goes smooth. This is the famous "secret" we amateurs joke about.

IRL golf is way too difficult, it doesn't need secrets, it's way too blunt to tell you you suck at it LOL
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If everybody knows the secret, it wouldn't be secret anymore.
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A green tee behind your right ear will take five strokes off your round…

However, the specific shade of green, well, that's the secret…
    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • JohnnyNight JohnnyNight Members Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm VERY disillusioned....

I opened this thread with great anticipation, hoping to find some HARDCORE beautiful life altering golfing secrets...

But all I found were jaded, battle hardened suspicious distrustful disbelieving skeptics....

Did I leave anything out...??

SECRETS PLEASE...!!!

Let's get this BALL ROLLIN...!!

OH YEAH...!!!

GOIN BIG TIME NOW...!!!
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought all the tour secrets were revealed in the instructional section of Golf Digest every month, no?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file