Finish this sentence...."You know you're in for a long day when..."

Comments

• vtpachydermvtpachyderm Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

@LeftDaddy said:

@vtpachyderm said:
    When you shank your bread and butter wedge OB right on the first hole after your drive leaves you 100yds to the pin.

True story - happened to me this morning. It’s a long day...

Lol. Yep, happened to me a couple of years ago on 2nd hole while playing with some old friends. I was literally scared to death the rest of the round to hit a partial wedge shot to any green. I duct taped the issue for the rest of that round and thought I had overcome it, but nope...it got worse and worse...I even started shanking chips for a while. Took a long time to put it in remission.

Yup - that pretty much describes the rest of the round. Wedges caught fat, shanking or flubbing chips. My drives and approaches were ok. It was a short course, but I kept leaving myself 130/140 in to avoid my wedges after the front 9. Not too worried yet as I've just come out of winter hibernation, but it does mess with my head.

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vtpachyderm said:

@LeftDaddy said:

@vtpachyderm said:
    When you shank your bread and butter wedge OB right on the first hole after your drive leaves you 100yds to the pin.

True story - happened to me this morning. It’s a long day...

Lol. Yep, happened to me a couple of years ago on 2nd hole while playing with some old friends. I was literally scared to death the rest of the round to hit a partial wedge shot to any green. I duct taped the issue for the rest of that round and thought I had overcome it, but nope...it got worse and worse...I even started shanking chips for a while. Took a long time to put it in remission.

Yup - that pretty much describes the rest of the round. Wedges caught fat, shanking or flubbing chips. My drives and approaches were ok. It was a short course, but I kept leaving myself 130/140 in to avoid my wedges after the front 9. Not too worried yet as I've just come out of winter hibernation, but it does mess with my head.

Yep. Just be careful that you don’t let what happened to me happen to you. I had been shanking the occasional iron shot on the range, and was definitely shanking my share of wedges on the range. They weren’t full-on shanks yet...just these low and left “squirters” (I’m a lefty). But I would find some “fix” and it would go away for 10 shots but then come back. Anyway, just thought it was weird. But I shanked that wedge shot in front of my old buddies dead left and panicked.

I tried to fix it but had only band-aided it. About 6 months later I was practicing chipping and cold shanked a chip. Thought “Wait, what?” Did it again and again. I tried to “fix” it but couldn’t. I tried 1 or 2 chips that round, shanked them, and decided I had to putt from off the green the rest of the round.

At that point I had shanks with just about every part of my game. Took a few months and some lessons to get it out of my system. I’m “in remission” right now, and hope to God that it doesn’t happen again...ever!

Just look for the warning signs, and if they are there fix it ASAP! 😬

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@halliedog said:
    When you've been locked out of WRX for a few days, and then come back to discover this garbage.  Makes Hacker's Paradise look high end!

When u log in to golfwrx hoping it's better, and it's not really, so u retire and decide to go suck at actual life/golf.

g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx
    p790 3i | steelfiber 95x
    919tour 4-9 | x100
    md3 46*8 | x100
    sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | s400 ti
    red X3
    tour velvet
    3 piece ball

• billh17billh17 just happy to play Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

when you practiced for a half hour before your tee time,and watched a guy down the range,cursing,
    throwing clubs,and slamming them against the bag. Arriving on the first tee,guess who shows up to be paired up with you.

Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA
  • DavewnDavewn West Des Moines, IAMembers Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭✭

You miss a couple of short putts early in the round. Puts so much extra pressure on the short game and lag putting for the rest of the round...

Callaway RAZR Fit 10.5* Aldila RIP'd NV 60 S
    Ping G5 13.5* Aerotech Powercoil 50 S
    TaylorMade 200 Steel 4 Wood TM Lite R-80
    Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4 Hybrid Litespeed R
    Adams A7 5-GW UST Proforce 85 R
    Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In SW 55/12 Cleveland Action Lite S
    Cleveland TA 900 60* Nicklaus Driveshaft R
    Slotline Inertial 35" 
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

When the guy your paired with in a friendly 2v2 Sunday afternoon match screams obscenities as you miss a 5 foot putt on the second hole.

• foreputterforeputter Members Posts: 2

You are at the furthest point on the course from the clubhouse in the weekly competition, the rain is horizontal, you don't care about your score and are ready to call it a day and your playing partner who has less of a score says "I can see a break in the clouds and I always score much better on the back nine!"

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We have two tee times, only five show up, and the guy that gets the tee times says, "lets play five". This has been happening more frequently, and the other day I just played the back by myself.

• stiffdogg06stiffdogg06 Tour Sauce Members Posts: 990 ✭✭

...When you play with that one particular brother and his first tee shot isn't good. He yells, "welp, there goes my round".
    He needs a xanax prior to each round.

TM 9.5° SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec - 6 years old
    Mizuno MP-H4's S300 - 6 years old
    Ping i20 15° Black Project X 6.0 - 7 years old
    Scott Cameron Del Mar
  • NeverFail26NeverFail26 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

If I birdie or par the first hole I know I’m shooting high that day

@SixtySomePing said:
    When you're not that great of a player and you birdie the first hole... if you've been there you just plain know what I mean... /nea.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nea:' />

• @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

yesterday. on the first nine, caught every tee shot low on the face. couldn't figure out why.
    bad enough we had a three club wind to deal with. made my brain explode.
    long irons were just as uncooperative.
    left the bag , sticks uncleaned, in the truck overnight to teach them a lesson.
    might not talk to them again for days.

currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • bburleigh0625bburleigh0625 New YorkMembers Posts: 30 ✭✭

when you hit a deer on your way to the golf course...but decide to go anyways

• MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

When there's no rain forecasted but you're standing on the first fairway and the heavens open. WTF?

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2019 3:25am #915

When you have a 6am tee time and it’s your 4th time waking up to ease your toddler back to sleep because her teeth are growing out.

• FuliopedFulioped Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

@foreputter said:
    You are at the furthest point on the course from the clubhouse in the weekly competition, the rain is horizontal, you don't care about your score and are ready to call it a day and your playing partner who has less of a score says "I can see a break in the clouds and I always score much better on the back nine!"

Ah yes i am guilty of this haha

• TateTate Members Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

When this happens on the first tee.

M2 9.5
    M2 15
    MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3
    MP18 SC 4-5
    MP18 6-PW
    SM6 52.8
    SM6 56.10
    SM6 60.4
    2016 Select Newport 2
  • TommixTommix Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

When you hit a perfect drive up the centre but cannot find it so go back hit a provisional ,declare first ball lost only to see it snuggled up against the white sprinkler hose on the fairway when looking back after hitting second shot with second ball.

• DCSerafinDCSerafin Members Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

In a league when you get to the first tee and your opponent's (who is listed as an 18 H/C) first words are... I. Playing so bad I'm ready to give up the game and sell my clubs...

Giving up 7 strokes over 9 holes, he proceeds to put up a 41 with a triple on #6.

• BodlesBodles AustraliaMembers Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

When your friend you're partners with playing against 2 other friends for a $5 lotto ticket is hitting his 3rd shot from deep rough wide of the fairway less than half way to the green on the par 4 2nd hole looks at you and calls out 'it's going to be a long day!"

Ping G400 LST - Project X Black 6.5 75gram
    Mizuno CLK #2 Hybrid at 14 degrees - Speeder Evolution 75 stiff
    Callaway Big Bertha 18 degree hybrid at 17 degrees - Recoil F4 Shaft
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2Iron - Fujikura Atmos Blue Shaft
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 4-PW - Project X LZ 5.5 115 gram
    Mizuno MP-T5, 54, 60 degree Wedges
    Rife IBF Aussie Tour Edition putter
  • lonscicleslonscicles Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Your playing partners Pre-shot routine includes 8-10 practice swings. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Just hit the ball Johnny!

• scoresscores scores Members Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The guy paired with us rolls it ten feet off the first tee !!’

Driver M1
    3W M1
    Irons Mizunos 64's 3 -pw
    Putter Spider
    58 Titleist
    52 Titeist
    Hybrid 2I Adams

Ball Taylor TP
  • HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

You miss a short putt on the first hole.

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1

• jkwjr60jkwjr60 Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

When your playing partner will not shut up about how great and talented their college age kid is...at everything he does.....blah blah blah. ****....

• GrAvEL_eXpReSsGrAvEL_eXpReSs Members Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

When your playing partner walks of the golf course after the second hole of monday night league....

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

...When you see the cart girl on hole #1

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

After playing your second shot you look up to see your playing partner 1) isn't yet at their ball 2) has had no discussion with their caddy about yardages/club selection and waits until all of the above has happened before putting their glove on.

• Jackal66Jackal66 Members Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

When you're paired with a guy that's drunk at 7 am.
    He insists that you drive the cart, and he has a jug of bloody mary, is burping and farting, and there is a roll of toilet paper in the dash on his side of the cart.

Not me, but I saw this.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I'm paired with two guys in cut of jeans, open beers at 0730 and stereo on their cart.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • Ger21Ger21 Members Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 1:12am #930

When the 3 people you are paired with are all 70 years old, and two are women...

Nike VR Pro LE 10.5° RIP Phenom 70S
    Nike VR Pro LE 3W RIP Phenom 80S
    Nike VR Pro LE 5W RIP Phenom 80S
    Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW DG S300
    Yururi Tour 56 & 60, Modus 125 Wedge Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 50 ✭✭

When some pretentious douchecanoe joins your group, and tries to dictate how everyone plays.

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file