Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Comments

• FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    Cart girl wearing extremely short-shorts.
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Posts: 295 ✭✭
    76 (+5) when I was a 14 hcp in 2016. It was the first of the two championship rounds in my league. No crazy fairway, green or chipping stats. Scoring breakdown was 5 pars, 6 bogeys, 2 doubles and 5 birdies, including two long bomb putts from over 25 feet.
    Couple of woods
    OG Rescue club
    Some irons
    Fistful of wedges
    Flat stick
    Some balls
    Shop Pride Evolution Striped Plastic 2-3/4" tees
    Kapalua Color Magic Minuteman repair tool
    2001 & 2003 state quarter ball markers
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    Not thinking about golf whatsoever. The best distraction.
  • KarstenKKarstenK Hey Chopper, what you hitting there? Members Posts: 1,249 ✭✭
    Had an amazing run of the first ten holes then hung on for dear life for a -3.
    Ping G400 LST Tour 75/Callaway Epic SZ Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway BBA 816 16* Diamana S+ 70
    Callaway X2Hot 19* KBS hybrid steel
    Ping i210 4-U PX LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM6 S 54*, Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*
    Byron DH89/Bettinardi QB8/SC Studio Select Midslant NP2/Ping Ketsch
  • jacksongp22jacksongp22 Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    I've shot 67 twice on a par 71( should have been 65 the 2nd time but i couldnt hold it together). Only thing that really stood out to me was my scrambling and having a few long birdie putts drop. Other than that i didn't really do anything fancy, just played boring golf. Haven't been able to come close to that again unfortunately lol.
  • Morty17Morty17 Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    It was a few years ago. At my old course I had shot even about 10 times but could not get over the hump. I went back with 3 buddies from my current club and was playing really well. Made some birdies and some bogeys and was even on 15 tee, a great drive and a hybrid to 5 feet left me an eagle putt which I made. Made a 20 footer for par on 16. Get to 17 which is a par 3 175 with a pond that comes into play if you block it right. I stood over that shot with such confidence and hit my tee ball. Well blocked it waaaay right. I had 40 yards after my drop to a tucked pin. Hit the pitch a little hard and thought I would have a 15 foot downhill putt, but it lands bounces off the flag stick into the hole for par. My buddies are routing me on and I am shaking standing on 18. A good drive a hybrid layup left me 50 yards. Great pitch and made the birdie putt. Shot 69 on a par 72. I can still remember every shot on the back. At my current club I’ve broken par a half dozen times but I will always remember that round. Kept the score card and the ball.
  • MetaGolferMetaGolfer Banned Posts: 10
    Not knowing why I had my best round...seriously. It's true. And spending the next two years chasing what I didn't know I was doing.
  • tokeybtokeyb Gonna get better ClubWRX Posts: 349 ClubWRX
    Fairways nearly-hit and one-putts. Didn't hit that many greens in regulation, but always had a chance to do so because tee ball was in play. When I did hit them, I made a couple putts. And when I missed GIR, I was near enough to get up and down just about every time. Couldn't miss 3-6 footers. Wish I had THAT every day!

Lots of pars, a couple birdies, no doubles.
    Mizuno JPX 10.5*
    Mizuno ST180 3w 15*
    TM Burner Rescue 5 (24*)
    Titleist 710cb (4-9)
    Scratch 8820 (47*, 53*, 56*)
    Odyssey White Hot Rx 9, Tour Snsr 140cc
    Project(a)

**Right at single digits - gonna get better**
    (9.3 at end of 2018!)
  • tokeybtokeyb Gonna get better ClubWRX Posts: 349 ClubWRX
    Nateshot wrote:

My two best rounds ever have one thing in common...very little sleep the night before. Mind you, this is loose correlation and not causation.

The last round was recently and it was on a weekday afternoon/evening round and I was pretty close to bowing out because I was so tired.

This is definitely a thing. Have had a few really good rounds where I was exhausted, just getting over or coming down with a cold, etc. I think it just simplifies everything. You can't over think, you don't have energy to worry about mechanics. All you can do is,plod to the ball, stare at it and swing, and repeat.

It's a forced concentration trick for those of us who haven't mastered mindfulness on the course.
    Mizuno JPX 10.5*
    Mizuno ST180 3w 15*
    TM Burner Rescue 5 (24*)
    Titleist 710cb (4-9)
    Scratch 8820 (47*, 53*, 56*)
    Odyssey White Hot Rx 9, Tour Snsr 140cc
    Project(a)

**Right at single digits - gonna get better**
    (9.3 at end of 2018!)
  • rjp217rjp217 Posts: 225 ✭✭
    I remember a couple things about it as it’s been over a decade

1) Trenton Country Club as i was a guest of a member (awesome course)

2) Being extremely conservative off the tee and in turn hitting a ton of fairways. I usually do this at new courses as i don’t know the lay of the land and want to stay playable at all costs

3) The amount of one putts i was able to pull off. This isn’t a usual thing for me

So in all it was hitting fairways and one putting, probably a typical formula for low scoring, haha.
    In Bag:

TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    PXG Bat Attack P 375 (Black Steel)

On Rotation:

TaylorMade M3 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70X)
    Mizuno MP18 MMC FH 2 (KBS Tour 130X)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,640 ✭✭
    Definitely putting. I think I had 11 putts on the back nine, one of which was for eagle on a really tough par 5.
    M4 9.5°, Ventus 7x
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno CLK  19°, Recoil Hybrid 95
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Mizuno S18  50.07, 54.08 & 58.08
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

• DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
    65, 24 putts total compared to typical 32-33 putts.
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
  • deca10deca10 deca10 Posts: 88
    edited Dec 14, 2018 #434
    The most memorable thing I remember was the fact that I played with a good friend and his 14 year old son the day before in day one of our city tourney and the kid went 65 to our 77’s and it was like a walk in the park. Smooth, staying within himself nearly every swing. I thought, that’s it, tomorrow I don’t force anything, swing for fairways and see what happens, well 5 birdies in a row on the front had me thinking why I hadn’t had this mindset before 😆. Added one more birdie on the back for a -4 (68) and there it was, a 2 stroke PR. This game is soooo frustratingly fun!
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78
    edited Dec 21, 2018 #435
    Low score is 80 multiple times so usually its the mistakes I made that cost me the 79 etc. But when I'm playing well its boring golf. Fairway, green, two putt. Bogeys are the missed green with mediocre chip leaving 10 ft par putts and missing. Never get into crazy trouble and don't make huge mistakes but nothing usually stands out. I usually don't know I'm playing well until I count up my score at the turn and realize, huh, shot a 38-40ish, cool.
  • kp6622kp6622 Members Posts: 31
    Started with a chip in birdie, par, birdie, then chip in eagle to be -4 thru 4. Unfortunately the rest of the round wasn't quite as lights out. Ended up with a -2 69 with a birdie on 17 and good up and down on 18.

Prior to that I needed a birdie on 18 to fire even for the first time, luckily it was a par 5, but I hit my drive on the right side of the fairway and the green was blocked out by trees unless I hit a massive cut. Lay up to 115 and tell myself to try to hole it since my wedge game was pretty solid that day. Put a good swing on it and hit it to about 12 feet and made a great putt center of the hole for a 72.
    Titleist 917D3 - 8.5 (7.75) - Diamana 70 D+ Limited Edition X
    Titleist 917F2 - 16.5 (15.75) - Diamana 80 D+ Limited Edition X
    PXG 0311T 3-W - KBS $-Taper 130
    PXG 0311T 50, 54, 58
    Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City
  • bill.igbill.ig Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    40 - 34 74

Playing to about a 9 at the time so the 40 on the front was reasonable. The 34 on the back came completely out of the blue. Drove the ball well enough to have short irons but made the first of three birdies on the back with a long putt on 10. Another long putt a few holes later and a kick in birdie on 18. What I remember was how it all flowed from one hole to another.
    Adams XTD 12*, in flux
    Callaway Razr 4 wood
    Titleist 913H, 24*
    Titleist H1, 27*
    Titleist 913H, 27*
    Adams CB3, 6 - GW
    Callaway MD2, 56* & 60*
    Odyssey
  • jaw1978jaw1978 Posts: 83
    edited Dec 30, 2018 #438
    That I played each shot in isolation with an eye towards the smart play. Nothing ****, but smooth. If some putts drop, great...but not banking on holing long ones. 69
  • ldchristopherldchristopher Posts: 901 ✭✭
    My best round was a 67 at Ravisloe Country Club last summer. I initially wasn't going to play that day, which is a mindset that thankfully changed. I'm a special ed teacher so I'm off for a chunk of the summer (except for professional development opportunities and summer school; "no work during the summer" is kind of a misnomer for teachers) and I play a lot so I was planning on taking a random Thursday in August off from golf. However, after a gym session I was super bored and the weather was perfect so I started checking tee sheets. Ravisloe had some open times so my wife gave me the okay and I headed over.

Ravisloe is an old school layout. It's a Donald Ross design that was a private club for years but went public about ten years ago when it got new ownership. It's a very nice course but, as a sub-6400 yard par 70 with no extremely long holes (the longest par 3 is about 200 yards, the longest 4 is 415, and the longest 5 is 550), it's a place where it's possible to score. However, usually it takes me a while to get going. I make plenty of pars at the outset of most rounds but I'm generally not ultra sharp with my my irons until 4 or 5 holes into a round. What stood out for me most was that I got hot early and birdied the first, second, and fifth holes. I also made no bogies on the front en route to a 32 at the turn. On the back, I shot even with a bogie on 12 and a birdie on 15.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Titleist 712U (4) Cobra King CB (5-6)/MB (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish
  • lutomrSClutomrSC Members Posts: 307 ✭✭
    I used to consider my best round a 62 that tied my course record. The one thing that stands out is that I didn't birdie a hole till no. 5 and shot 29 on the back. But this year I made it through USGA Four Ball qualifying with my partner and I made 8 birdies in the first 10 holes to get the team in. My partner birdied the 17th hole to help us get medalist. Both great memories to have.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    My best rounds are all when my iron ballstriking is good.

I have really struggled for several years now with awful iron play, due to a nasty case of the inside-outs / shanks. When I’m able to figure my irons out, my scores drop precipitously.

I’ve had good iron days with poor putting that cost me a few strokes, and I’ve had good putting days with poor iron play, and I’ll take the former everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • okie21okie21 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I remember getting up on #8 tee box and realizing I had just birdied holes 2-7. 2 was decent little par 3 that I hit a 7 iron into, but remainder of holes were wedge or shorter into the greens, just driver down the fairway, wedge, make the putt. 7 was a tricky, tight par 5 that I went driver-iron then wasn't too far out. I literally had no idea, just knew I was hitting the ball well and making some putts. Bad thing was once I realized it, wheels started to come off. Bogeyed 8 and made par on a very easy par 5. Then the back 9 was worse.

31-38 for a 69. Still a great round for me, just disappointed how it ended.
    Titleist [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400) [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro Plus [/font]
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Actually tied my best round ever in 2018. Shot 69, but the two things that stood out was I only had one bogey and it was my 14th hole (played the back 9 first) and my putting was not great that day. Could have easily been a 66 or 67 that day. Hope to see that again in 2019 that's for sure.
  • TheryanlafTheryanlaf Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    I just remember it being fairly boring. Driver into the fairway, shot into the green and putt..

Sure it wasn't like this every hole, but there just wasn't anything outstanding positively or negative. Pretty consistent round for my usual game, and sometimes that's the hardest part.
    Titleist 913D2 9.5*
    Titleist 915F 15*
    Titleist 913H 17*
    Ping G30 4-UW
    Vokey SM5 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5

Theryanlaf's WITB
  • SoloShot84SoloShot84 Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    playable driver, solid Iron play and good chipping around green
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Posts: 972 ✭✭
    The lowest round I've ever shot was 63 on a par 70. But the round that felt even better was shooting 64 on a par 72 course with a rating of 73.1. A few things stick out from that round in particular:

1. First of all it was a very clean straightforward card. 8 birdies and 10 pars... no bogeys, no doubles, no eagles.

2. I hit one God awful tee shot that day that should have been OB, but instead hit the roof of a house and bounced all the way back into the fairway. I got up and down for a birdie so that was a minimum 3-shot swing right there.

3. I'm sure I made almost 200 feet of putts that day. My iron game wasn't particularly sharp, but I was rolling it like the best.

4. On 18 (par 5) I hit my 2nd shot off a greenside sprinkler head and it careened into the water hazard. After my drop I ended up holing the next shot for birdie. So an unlucky bounce was immediately repaid... which never happens for me

5. I was 3 under at the turn and almost made a hole in one on 10. That's when I knew it would be a special day. At the next hole (tight fairway with hazard on both sides) where I normally hit a low iron off the tee, I pulled driver and smoked it down the middle

Since then I haven't shot 64 again or even 65. The best I've done is 66 (-6) with a few 67s and a number of 68/69 (along with plenty of 72-76).
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • justwellsy wrote:

The lowest round I've ever shot was 63 on a par 70. But the round that felt even better was shooting 64 on a par 72 course with a rating of 73.1. A few things stick out from that round in particular:

1. First of all it was a very clean straightforward card. 8 birdies and 10 pars... no bogeys, no doubles, no eagles.

2. I hit one God awful tee shot that day that should have been OB, but instead hit the roof of a house and bounced all the way back into the fairway. I got up and down for a birdie so that was a minimum 3-shot swing right there.

3. I'm sure I made almost 200 feet of putts that day. My iron game wasn't particularly sharp, but I was rolling it like the best.

4. On 18 (par 5) I hit my 2nd shot off a greenside sprinkler head and it careened into the water hazard. After my drop I ended up holing the next shot for birdie. So an unlucky bounce was immediately repaid... which never happens for me

5. I was 3 under at the turn and almost made a hole in one on 10. That's when I knew it would be a special day. At the next hole (tight fairway with hazard on both sides) where I normally hit a low iron off the tee, I pulled driver and smoked it down the middle

Since then I haven't shot 64 again or even 65. The best I've done is 66 (-6) with a few 67s and a number of 68/69 (along with plenty of 72-76).

Your picture looks familiar...

Where is that... ?

FwIw

My best round a 4 over was a scrambling round. Chip in birdie out of a bunkeron a par 3...2 or 3 hero shots after a bad drive, hit a 300 yd drive followed by a 250 yd bomb straight up a hill with a 5hybrid through the green 2feet past fringe. Cup was steep downhill chip about 10 feet away. Got a par😣.

Round started with a double bogey block off the tee into trees. All this while in pain with a serratus tear.
  • Not my best round...but shot a 2 over back at the end of last year...most impressive thing was I never hit a green in regulation.
  • GraymulliganGraymulligan Members Posts: 2,363 ✭✭
    Playing a course that I really like, on a weekday afternoon with my 14 year old daughter on a teacher's in-service day. We were 2 of maybe a dozen people on the course, perfect high 60's weather. I lipped out a putt for a 69 on 18, and she tapped in a bogey put for a 112, which at the time was her best score. 5 birdies on the front to go with 3 bogeys, and par on every hole on the back for me. Weird, wonderful afternoon.
    M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

• RuffingItRuffingIt Posts: 153 ✭✭
    shot a 78 on a course i played once prior. First experience of that course was no very good. More OB spots on the front vs the back, so losing balls fast and early didn't make for a fun round. So going back to play that same course, i set my expectations low and made sure i had enough sleeves to get me thru the round. One thing that really set the tone for the rest of the round, was a 188 yd uphill par3. Stiffed a 5iron with 6ft to birdie the third hole. Aside from that, I don't remember putting myself out of position to often from the tee.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5˚ (Kuro Kage Silver Tini X)
    Ping G410 3 wood (Ping Tour stiff)
    Nike vr pro ltd 5 wood (UST Mamiya VTS 85S silver)
    Nike vr pro combo 3-PW (S300)
    Nike Engage 55˚ss, 60˚ds
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5 33"

in rotation
    Nike Method Origin B2-01 33" / Nike Method Matter B2-01 33"
  • ljrad1995ljrad1995 Members Posts: 96
    My new personal best is a 62 (-10). Main takeaway is that i left a 15ft birdie putt on 18 about an inch short in the heart 😰 but seriously, i remember bogeying the 9th hole after being -4 thru 8, and i was so livid with myself i went into a little zone of anger/determination... Resulting in 6 straight birdies, a 10ft missed putt on 16, birdie on 17 and the aforementioned missed putt on 18. Probably the closest to being in "the zone" I've ever been. I also remember coming out the next day and needing to absolutely grind my a** off to shoot level... 10 shots worse but really felt pretty similar to me, funny how golf works
    TM M1 430cc 2016 9.5*. Hzrdus black 6.0 63g shaft.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3W (15*) and 5W (18*) Fuji pro green 72X.
    Srixon U65 2 iron, aerotech steelfiber 110X.
    Mizuno MP4 3-PW, Dynalite gold X100 shafts.
    Mizuno T7 50.07, 55.09 and 60.10 blue ion. Dynalite gold X100
    RIFE antigua Island series blade putter
    Titleist ProV1x ball

5W and 2 Iron sub based on course and wind conditions, 50* replaces them on short courses.