US Open: Erin Hills

HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
edited Jun 12, 2017 in Tour Talk #1
We have read the fantastic threads about the history of the Course, but now it's time for show.

Anyone who has seen the course the latest days? Any words on the weather during the tournament? I see "chance of thunderstorm" in the forecasts for thursday, should make Phil up on his toes. Any player reactions to the course of lately? Any recent news? What can we expect? Broccoli greens...?

Looking at the layout

http://www.usopen.com/course

What do you make of it? (I usually start at 18 and work my way backwards. I seldom see anything of 1-9 except from Augusta and The Open). Seems pretty Muirfield-ish. The last 3 holes don't offer any risk reward unfortunately. Only Pars and bogeys there?

Comments

• elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,111 ✭✭
    I hope the USGA get the set up right. They ruined a masterpiece when they went to Pinehurst. Chambers Bay should never have been used and last year's rules fiasco means they are struggling for credibility.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,777 ✭✭
    Nice story of the week so far - Davis Love III will caddie for his son who has got into the event as an alternate.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,623 ✭✭
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,704 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2017 #5
    Hankshank wrote:

We have read the fantastic threads about the history of the Course, but now it's time for show.

Anyone who has seen the course the latest days? Any words on the weather during the tournament? I see "chance of thunderstorm" in the forecasts for thursday, should make Phil up on his toes. Any player reactions to the course of lately? Any recent news? What can we expect? Broccoli greens...?

Looking at the layout

http://www.usopen.com/course

What do you make of it? (I usually start at 18 and work my way backwards. I seldom see anything of 1-9 except from Augusta and The Open). Seems pretty Muirfield-ish. The last 3 holes don't offer any risk reward unfortunately. Only Pars and bogeys there?

Locally, we have not heard any recent news about the course. The rough is getting a lot of play. On Instagram, a few weeks ago, Wesley Bryan dropped his ball in the rough and it completely disappeared from camera view. Kevin Na just cut a video about it. The fairways are fairly generous, so it will be interesting to see how much intermediate rough the USGA allows between the fairway and fescue. Players have said the course plays shorter than the card, part due to elevation and part due to the fairways being fairly firm.

Erin Hills closed for public play last fall. The only rounds played this year have been practice rounds and a few media / charity scrambles to drum up interest for the Open. I would be shocked if we hear anything negative about course conditioning this week.

After a wet spring, it's been dry here for the last week. Forecast calls for 20-40% chance of thunderstorms. The biggest variable this week may be the wind. Forecasts are calling for prevailing winds (out of south and west) about 5-10 mph; temperatures in mid-to-upper 80s which is warmer than typical for this time of year.

Again, for those visiting, just know there is no official public onsite parking. The official general parking is two different lots, both 20 miles away with a fleet of shuttle buses running constantly. They are hauling gravel in to lay down in the permit parking areas near the venue. Unofficial parking near the venue is going to be mostly farm fields but the wet spring we've had, I don't know if I would chance it, especially with thunderstorms in the forecast. My friend who lives a mile from the course said he is seeing signs for unofficial parking in fields near the course for $40 per vehicle.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,042 ✭✭
    Great.. I get to hear the players complain that the course is too hard all this week. Everyone plays the exact same course. Your playing for a 12 million dollar purse with the winner getting 2.16 million.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • bullie76bullie76 Members Posts: 2,177 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Another train wreck coming. I think I will play golf this weekend instead watching.
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,051 ✭✭
    As long as there's carnage I'll watch.
  • gmangolfgmangolf Members Posts: 1,563 ✭✭
    bullie76 wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

USGA is back!

[url="

Another train wreck coming. I think I will play golf this weekend instead watching.

Kevin Na is a whiner. Go look at what Rory had to say about the course.
  • jubilee_linksjubilee_links Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I have never understood Pros complainig about the rough..... if its too penal dont hit it there. Thye all have amazing length these days so back off and play for accuracy. It tests the whole game. Keeping the ball in play should be rewarded as much as distance off the tee.

Dont agree with unplayable fast hard greens though
  • cgm808cgm808 Members Posts: 146
    elwhippy wrote:

I hope the USGA get the set up right. They ruined a masterpiece when they went to Pinehurst. Chambers Bay should never have been used and last year's rules fiasco means they are struggling for credibility.

How did they "ruin" the masterpiece with Pinehurst?
    Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5 | Aldila NV Blue Shaft
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M1 | Aldila Tour Green Shaft
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 | Fujikura Speeder X Shaft
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind | True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide White
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    Kevin Na's already shook. MC for him. Everyone has the same conditions, don't whine cause you spray the ball.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,044 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 12, 2017 #13
    imakaveli wrote:

That is unfortunately common for courses with native just off the fairways. Here in Kansas, there are a few big amateur events at Sand Creek Station (final USGA Public Links, 2014) and Southwind. If you miss the fairway by one yard, the native is so healthily watered and thick, it is impossible to find and/or hack out. You'd rather hit it 30 yards into the junk where it is drier and thinner.

It is like the opposite of graduated rough, where you are punished more the more you stray.

[background=rgb(245, 248, 250)]Geoff Shackelford:@GeoffShac [/background]

[background=rgb(245, 248, 250)].[/background][background=rgb(245, 248, 250)]@ErinHillsGolf in amazing condition but irrigation overspray of first five yards of native rough will be @usopengolf lost ball problem.

DCFPEZnUIAAOQUJ.jpg[/background]

DCFPD1KVoAAvo00.jpg

DCFPD3GVoAADyYj.jpg
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭
    cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Exactly! I thought Pinehurst was very good, both before and after the restoration.
  • jbachmanjbachman Members Posts: 120
    cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Plays too easy when missing the fairway after the Coore/Crenshaw revamp. You can get some bite on the ball from the hard pan sand, lush grass - not so much.

I love C&C designs, I still think visually #2 is da bomb. Hope the wire grass can mature a bit to add more challenge to 2024.
  • bruinsPATSirishbruinsPATSirish Golf is hard. Members Posts: 6,429
    QMany wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

That is unfortunately common for courses with native just off the fairways. Here in Kansas, there are a few big amateur events at Sand Creek Station (final USGA Public Links, 2014) and Southwind. If you miss the fairway by one yard, the native is so healthily watered and thick, it is impossible to find and/or hack out. You'd rather hit it 30 yards into the junk where it is drier and thinner.

It is like the opposite of graduated rough, where you are punished more the more you stray.

[background=rgb(245, 248, 250)].[/background][background=rgb(245, 248, 250)]@ErinHillsGolf in amazing condition but irrigation overspray of first five yards of native rough will be @usopengolf lost ball problem.

DCFPD1KVoAAvo00.jpg

DCFPD3GVoAADyYj.jpg

WOW
    bruinsPATSirish WITB!
    Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
    Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
    Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole
  • 03SMURF03SMURF Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I think this US Open at Erin Hills is the most excited I've been to watch a tournament in a very long time. Can't wait to see how the guys handle this type of layout.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]M3 440 9° - Tensei CK Pro Orange V3 70TX[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]915 Fd 15° - ATMOS Black 8TX
    716 T-MB 3 iron - RIP Tour 115
    714 MB - 4-pw - X100's
    SM5's - 50/08 F, 56/10 (55°) M, 60/08 M - X100's
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #11
    Ball TBD
    4up Stadry[/font]
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭
    Looks like a good hay yield after next week. Bring in the tractors!
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 685 ✭✭
    Eh - our course is set up the same way (not on every hole mind you, but enough). There's plenty of room to not hit it in the tall stuff, and if you do, that's why the good lord invented Provisionals.
    jbachman wrote:

cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Plays too easy when missing the fairway after the Coore/Crenshaw revamp. You can get some bite on the ball from the hard pan sand, lush grass - not so much.

I love C&C designs, I still think visually #2 is da bomb. Hope the wire grass can mature a bit to add more challenge to 2024.

Eh, I tend to disagree. If you look at the scoring, it set up perfectly for a US Open. With the outlier being Kaymer, the field played only a couple under par and most players were over par...that's the way it should be.

I went to a practice round that year and sat mostly at the greens watching approach shots. I don't think I saw one professional stop it on a dime - all of them were playing to the middle of the greens.
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Members Posts: 567 ✭✭
    03SMURF wrote:

I think this US Open at Erin Hills is the most excited I've been to watch a tournament in a very long time. Can't wait to see how the guys handle this type of layout.

I agree it will be fun and am looking forward to it. I do think the media was way more jacked about Chambers Bay prior to the actual tournament than they are with Erin Hills. Same with the Pinehurst revamp.

Separately, anyone else worried about the forecast? My quick glance indicated scattered thunderstorms Thursday through Friday. I'd like to avoid another Valhalla 2014 if possible.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,777 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

DCFPD1KVoAAvo00.jpg

DCFPD3GVoAADyYj.jpg

Carnoustie in 1999 called, they want their rough back!

This could be a brutal week of golf...looking forward to it.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,599 ✭✭
    From tall fescue to the other side tall fescue, you've probably got 50 to 60 yards of width on most of those holes. So... don't hit it in there. If you hit it in there more than once or twice for the week, you shouldn't be the US Open Champion anyway.

The course looks fairly honest. It may be difficult, but it does look like good shots are rewarded. The USGA let the greens get away from them at Chambers Bay and good shots weren't necessarily rewarded. Difficult is ok. Unfair isn't. Erin Hills, at least from the flyovers and shots of the course looks like a fair test. We shall see on Thursday.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,056 ✭✭
    cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Pinehurst 2 is horrible. There is nothing attractive to the course with the redesign. Core/Crenshaw redesigned a course and made it very unattractive.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,056 ✭✭
    I hate watching the US Open. This is the only time during the year people play a course that is set up in this manner. USGA ruins the Men's and Women's Opens in my opinion.
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,042 ✭✭

cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Pinehurst 2 is horrible. There is nothing attractive to the course with the redesign. Core/Crenshaw redesigned a course and made it very unattractive.

Course was fantastic back in February and was absolutely stunning!
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • klebs01klebs01 Members Posts: 391 ✭✭
    krtgolfing wrote:

Course was fantastic back in February and was absolutely stunning!

+1

I haven't played it yet, but it looks way better. I remember watching the 1999 open there and wondering why it would get the tournament. It was such a boring layout although it had domed greens. Post renovation, it looks spectacular and I can't wait to get down and play it.
  • Skydiver22Skydiver22 Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭
    The further you spray it wide... the better the chance of a decent lie you have... the first 10-15 yards of the native grass and brutal. Made par on the 18th hole and never touched the fairway or rough. My buddy made par on 18 by hitting three consecutive bunkers, never touched grass until he hit the green...
    PING G20 9.5* Tour Design 65 gram X flex
    PING G 14.5 Tour 80 gram X flex
    PING G400 19* Tour 90 gram X Flex
    PING G400 22* Tour 90 gram X Flex
    PING iBlades 5-PW w/ ZZ65 shafts w/cushin
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Black 49*/53*/58* (Black KBS shafts)
    PING Sigma 2 ZB

cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

cgm808 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Why does a course have to be visually attractive to be a good US Open venue? I've played there, post-renovation, and it's fantastic...
  • hdr_richdr_ric Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭
    Lets all just hope and pray that they never go back to chambers bay. At least until the people in charge can learn to grow non-crappy greens.
  • nocarts83nocarts83 Member Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

Why does a course have to be visually attractive to be a good US Open venue? I've played there, post-renovation, and it's fantastic...

I can't agree more. Even worse, the courses that average people play on a daily basis try to be like the courses we see on TV.

I can't stand it when courses try to be some unholy combination of Augusta green, full of hazards like Sawgrass, and rough like Winged Foot. Those courses are fantastic because they are well-designed tests of golf, not because they are pretty. Unfortunately, the pretty part is what every-day courses try to emulate.