2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rory is too jacked...

2over

The article "Is Rory too jacked?" was just silly on the front page of GolfWRX. Who is Carolina Romero anyway? Johnny Miller et. al. have played more golf, know more about golf than some fitness trainer, who of course will tell you that more muscle is more better. Look at the players who've jacked up and how that's worked out for them. Not well--Tiger being the poster boy for the problems. Weight lifting has been around for centuries and the old pros like Hogan, Sneed, Nicklaus, knew it didn't make them better players.

Rory's injuries and performance since he's gotten bulked up speak volumes about the problems with excessive weight training. Compare him to Sergio Garcia (of similar build). Sergio isn't jacked at all, and isn't a big guy, but he's playing OK these days isn't he? More green jackets than Rory, right? And his clubhead speed average is actually higher than Rory's! Supple and flexible wins the race, though maybe not as much good for the ego, but which is more important to you?

My teacher, a former top NCAA Div 1 player from the early 00s, winner of a number of prestigious am events, competed in some tour events, and must be pound for pound the longest hitter in the world (119 pounds, 120 mph on Trackman, 300 cary, 340 total) got into weightlifting in his college days, put on 15 pounds of muscle and said it didn't add a single mph to his clubhead speed or help his golf in any way but it did increase his injury problems. It's good for the ego, but not much else, golf-wise. Now, being fit, strong, and supple is certainly a good thing, but heavy weights and adding bulk is not helping these guys. And I really like Rory, he's great for the game and we want him around and playing his best for a long time!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree and disagree.

Disagree with your Sergio comparison. Sure, he's got 1 more green jacket than Rory, but he's also much older and has 3 fewer majors than Rory. I'd take a safe bet on Rory winning a green jacket by the time he's Sergio's age. I think a better comparison would be Jordan as he doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting and he's doing just fine at roughly the same age.

Agree that weightlifting can cause issues down the road and not do much for you on the golf course; Look at Justin Thomas for example. In the case of Tiger, he overdid it a little bit. I mean, the man was obsessed with Navy Seal training techniques and heavy lifting which ultimately wore his body down. But on the contrary, would you say the same about Louis Oosthuizen who has a bad back and carries a custom mattress around everywhere he goes? I haven't heard much about him doing heavy lifting like Rory does and he has always had issues. My point with Louis is that I think golf takes a strain on your body regardless, but I agree that heavy lifting will add to the cause...

Agree and disagree.

Disagree with your Sergio comparison. Sure, he's got 1 more green jacket than Rory, but he's also much older and has 3 fewer majors than Rory. I'd take a safe bet on Rory winning a green jacket by the time he's Sergio's age. I think a better comparison would be Jordan as he doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting and he's doing just fine at roughly the same age.

Agree that weightlifting can cause issues down the road and not do much for you on the golf course; Look at Justin Thomas for example. In the case of Tiger, he overdid it a little bit. I mean, the man was obsessed with Navy Seal training techniques and heavy lifting which ultimately wore his body down. But on the contrary, would you say the same about Louis Oosthuizen who has a bad back and carries a custom mattress around everywhere he goes? I haven't heard much about him doing heavy lifting like Rory does and he has always had issues. My point with Louis is that I think golf takes a strain on your body regardless, but I agree that heavy lifting will add to the cause...

I think Spieth lifts a little heavier than people would guess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_j6_gdNew6/?taken-by=ampdgolffitness&hl=en

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

This is what was said about me when I went from 220-223 in HS to 240 in college. I worked through it, kept grindin and came out the other end a better Player and Person.

ROHRs will do the same!!

That's what LB's do?

Keep Grindin???️

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

That "article" was terrible.

One small, tiny, little fact people fail to mention when talking about the working out too much. Those guys actually WIN. They may burn bright and sizzle out but atleast they win. Yea its impressive to play 20 years on tour without major injury racking up tons of T25 and MCs but in the end isnt sports about winning?

My goodness folks need to get out to some actual Tour events and stand next to these guys. Jacked? I've been a little more than an arms length from Rory, Tiger, and others and jacked is not the word I would use - slender and fit more like it.

Jacked

10453945_909494705742689_1405384603_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=NzQ4NTAxMDgwMTExMzU1NjU1.2

Rory this past April

nintchdbpict000228934587-e1484590579313.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

What is he? 5'9" 165lbs?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Not unless Jason Day is Hercules

US-Open-2017-Rory-McIlroy-Jason-Day-816598.jpg

http://www.express.c...y-play-together

That's just funny right there!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

haha he is anything but "jacked" haha. he would not even be classified as fit in the circle i work in.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Stumbling over a soccer ball with 'your mates' can happen to a 135 lb. pencil neck just as easy.

Dud ain't that big, but he is sponsored by Nike which means he'll continue to wear a shirt two sizes too small with or without a collar.

The rib injury is a different story, could have been aggregated by weights, but probably just overuse from golf. Which obviously is part of his job.

OP: "Bulked up"? "Excessive weight training"?

C'mon man. a young man who back squats 250 and deadlifts 315 or so (or whatever those Instas of Rory showed him doing) isn't bulking up.

That's just a guy who's working on getting fit.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Not to poke holes in your theory but tiger did ok in his career...

79 wins on the PGA Tour is considered by most to "have worked out well"...

Please don't make me copy and paste his Wikipedia stats...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Agree and disagree.

I think Spieth lifts a little heavier than people would guess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_j6_gdNew6/?taken-by=ampdgolffitness&hl=en

If those are Eleiko plates, that might be less than 200lbs.

Make Rory jacked again!

3D746C1600000578-4242736-image-m-58_1487613568804.jpg

Who is the little kid with Trump? The funny things is this still won't convince people that RM isn't an NFL strong safety.

I think Trump's 11 year old son Baron, is taller than Rory.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

He's keeping fit and healthy. Not jacked. Post his work out reps, sets and weight and you can make an educated comment.

Haven't got those numbers? You've got nothing...

Play on Rory, play on fit healthy people. The rest of us couch potatoes hidden in the mushroom farm should stay there and play off double figures at our public course.. bahaha

I don't think weight training has caused his injuries. I'm sure most people on this forum would get an overuse injury if they were free agents and had all the major OEMs sending them free equipment to test on Trackman...I know I would!

From what I have read, he started training for control the club better and because he had back problems when he was younger. TPI did a short video on Rory's weight training that is relevant to this topic.

First off, Rory isn't jacked at all. He's actually "normal" by BMI and weight lifter standards. He is "jacked" though compared to most golfers and golf has this taboo around lifting.. Like that if you lift you get all tight and can't swing a club. So a lot of traditionalists would claim he's too big and muscular for the game and try to justify the stance because of Tiger and his injuries.

Tiger didn't get hurt because he lifted. In fact he may have prolonged his career somewhat by having a strong muscular frame. He got hurt because his swing mechanics were murdering his spine and lower back on top of his high swing speed. When you keep your hips fairly still but you rotate your upper half then rotate it back through as fast as you can thousands of times, what do you expect?? It's like saying a baseball pitcher gets Tommy John because his biceps and triceps are too big and strong. No.. It's because of repeated over use of the muscles without proper rest and rehab.

What is he? 5'9" 165lbs?

LMAO, that was my size in 7th grade, lol

I realize that he's obviously stronger than I was as a 12-23yo however you'd think that he was 205+ the they're talking.

I realize that it's all relative but WTF??

Have a nice day Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Make Rory jacked again!

3D746C1600000578-4242736-image-m-58_1487613568804.jpg

Who is the little kid with Trump? The funny things is this still won't convince people that RM isn't an NFL strong safety.

I think Trump's 11 year old son Baron, is taller than Rory.

Check out those ears, lmao

jeezuuuuuzzzz?

I'm as catty as a lil girl on the playground, lol

My Best?

RP

And Rory knows more about golf than Johnny Freaking Miller. Him and Brandel are a couple of bitter old has beens.

You're insane. Johnny Miller knows more about golf that pretty much the whole freaking planet. He was the best golfer in the world from 73-75 . .gimme a break

I'm with you on Brandel but he is paid to opine and stir the pot, so he get's a pass of some sort

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9